FCS Championship Game

High school all-American bowl on NBC right now. Halftime right now.

So, I went to Minnesota State University Moorhead and lived for a while in the Fargo area. Bison sure have a good thing going there at NDSU and I kind of get why fans are the way they are. I think the question is what do they want to do next.

I think there's discussion about a move to the FBS, but there are a few things in that case. What conference would they be in? Both the MAC and MWC would have a lot of travel involved. Also, would they want to leave? That program will likely continue getting trophies, do they want to trade that for a low level bowl?

Both Appalachian State and Georgia Southern won a lot at the FCS level, earned plenty of titles, but have just had low level bowl games since the move to FBS. That's probably the future for the Bison if they move.

On another note, though, one positive with NDSU winning the national title is it brought a second title to Midwest region, which is pretty cool. Ferris State (Michigan) won the DII championship earlier.

In fact, the state of Michigan had a pretty good college football year overall:
  • Michigan - Won Big Ten title, College Football Playoff berth.
  • Michigan State - Won the NY6 Peach Bowl.
  • Western Michigan - Won the Quick Lane Bowl.
  • Central Michigan - Won the Sun Bowl
  • Ferris State - Won the DII National Championship.

You don't always know the best out of high school. NDSU has had a number of Minnesota kids not offered by Gophers who ended up good enough to play for us. Free portal transfer offers us an opportunity to pick up a few of those.
That option remains but it's an FCS school playing FCS opponents.

Saturday, January 8 at 11am on ESPN 2: North Dakota State vs. Montana State. As Gophers fans, should we cheer for NDSU because of the many Minnesotans on the team, or the Bobcats, who haven't won the championship since 1984 (great year for music by the way). Contrary to ancient accusations on this board, I am not a Bison fan.
Google "NCAA football scores today", and you will learn just how important this game was.

Beating Montana state is not an accomplishment
Montana State would be one of those games before the season starts to get tuned up. Sure some of these teams have a couple guys that may or may not make it to the NFL. As a team though, clearly not enough weapons on the whole to go week after week playing good teams. They would get beaten up badly by the end of the season.

Huh? I don’t see them listed on the bowl games. This for charity? Is Montana St in the mountain west with Fresno and those teams? I don’t see them on the conference standings.

Funny when these comments come up and the Gophers are 0-2 in the last two matchups.

Living in Fargo as a Gopher fan, I’ve had to embrace the BiZoN culture and they’ve been fun to watch. Fan base can be obnoxious but who wouldn’t be with how much success they’ve had? With that being said NDSU fans are getting “bored” with winning. Another commenter posted the Fargo dome was down this year. I’ve talked with fans who said they will not be going to every game like they have in the past. Maybe one day Minnesota sports will know what it’s like to be bored with winning.

You don't always know the best out of high school. NDSU has had a number of Minnesota kids not offered by Gophers who ended up good enough to play for us. Free portal transfer offers us an opportunity to pick up a few of those.
Fargo is good farming country.

Funny when these comments come up and the Gophers are 0-2 in the last two matchups.

Living in Fargo as a Gopher fan, I’ve had to embrace the BiZoN culture and they’ve been fun to watch. Fan base can be obnoxious but who wouldn’t be with how much success they’ve had? With that being said NDSU fans are getting “bored” with winning. Another commenter posted the Fargo dome was down this year. I’ve talked with fans who said they will not be going to every game like they have in the past. Maybe one day Minnesota sports will know what it’s like to be bored with winning.
Play JV and dominate. If they are bored, go D1

all jokes aside, good for them. ESPN2 had a nice broadcast of the game

Or you could live in Fargo and just be bored.

a bunch of chodes from Montana State tried to start a huge fight - nevermind that they had like 20 TVs and all the sound and everything for their JV game with Montana.
Sounds like your feelings got hurt a bit.

Yeah, it's not FBS football, but it's a rivalry game dating back to 1897. And in a small state where those two teams are the closest you get to a pro franchise, it's a big deal. The only game of the year that really matters to most Montanans. Full disclosure, I spent my undergrad years in Missoula and exchanged many unkind words with MSU fans.

The guy who has played most of the game was 3rd-string most of the season.
the QB derby for Montana St went like this:
QB1 was the starter to begin the season.
the coaches made a switch to QB2 late in the season.
QB1 got his undies in a bunch and entered the portal before the season was over.
Now, QB2 is hurt, and QB3 is playing. True, QB3 is a former starter, but he had been passed on the depth chart by QB1 and QB2.

It would be like the gophers in a game this season where Clark had to play because Morgan went into the portal and Annexstad got hurt.
I kind of doubt it would have been much different had Mellott not gotten injured. The Cats had some luck with playoff matchups but are nowhere near the caliber of NDSU football. They were probably only the 3rd best team in their own conference this season.

I kind of doubt it would have been much different had Mellott not gotten injured. The Cats had some luck with playoff matchups but are nowhere near the caliber of NDSU football. They were probably only the 3rd best team in their own conference this season.
Actually had “touchdown Tommie” not got hurt, the game would have been closer but not a MState win. Simply because the NDSU offense would have spent more time on the sideline. MState would have scored, and controlled the clock with extended drives Limiting the Bison time on offense. But the Bobcat defense looked like NWestern.

Plus everyone is forgetting about fan support in Fargo. Ever been to Fargo? Then you know why they support the Bison.

Easy to do watching this level of football. I have no intentions of watching this level of football. I'm sure the winners will get a ring of some sort to satisfy them.
I'm sure that SEC fans feel the same way about the Big Ten.

NDSU all the way. I want them to become one of the F.A.M.I.L.Y of Transfer Portal farm league teams for the Gophers (e.g., Abilene Christian). Go to NDSU and get a couple of years of playing time, and then if you're good enough we'll pick you up via the portal and let you play in a power league.
Have they had many guys transfer out to an FBS program? Jabrill Cox is the only one I can think of.

I'm sure that SEC fans feel the same way about the Big Ten.
Big ten 6-4 in bowls (including Rutgers getting put in at the last minute) and SEC 5-7. Not gonna rehash the same arguments from the last week but SEC amazing at the top, very average below that. BIG Ten has more depth.

Last edited:

Wow. Surprised to see the condescension toward NDSU. I like the way they play and I admire programs that sustain excellence. Congratulations to them on another title.
Yeah

Then again; when bison fans come to a non bison board and expect praise they have every comment made to them coming

but they are an impressive program

NDSU all the way. I want them to become one of the F.A.M.I.L.Y of Transfer Portal farm league teams for the Gophers (e.g., Abilene Christian). Go to NDSU and get a couple of years of playing time, and then if you're good enough we'll pick you up via the portal and let you play in a power league.
Oh ish.

Last edited:

The closest I ever got to a bar fight was trying to dare watch the Axe game around 2007 or so in Seattle. I tried to get one little TV in the corner of a bar and a bunch of chodes from Montana State tried to start a huge fight - nevermind that they had like 20 TVs and all the sound and everything for their JV game with Montana.

Worst fans I've ever encountered. Never seen anything like that from Big Ten fans of any school in all my years in Chicago and visiting all of our rival stadiums wearing maroon and gold. Glad NDSU is stomping them.
Montanans reserve a bar one year in advance in many cities around the country to watch the annual Montana - Montana State rivalry football game. There is a charge of $5 per person to be able to get the game on Roots Sports. Don't expect to be able to watch a Gophers football game the third week of November at Lucky's 13 in Mendota.

North Dakota State won D1AA. Ferris State won the D2 championship, and Mary Hardin-Baylor took the D3 crown.

Congrats to all the lower division winners. You make your parents and girlfriends very proud.

Top Bottom