Faalele Injury

SonoranGopher1

Reaction score
I can’t help but say the Faalele injury was a major blow to the gophers offensive attack. They ran almost entirely to the left side after his injury, which I believe minimized the Gophs options. Does anyone know how bad it is for him? Hopefully he will be back for the postseason practices and January 1st bowl game.

Carted off the field so most likely crutches or a brace

If he got stepped on by a 300 pound plus guy while laying on the ground...total speculation...he could have broken his leg or ankle?
Linemen are tough guys. Since he didn’t return...likely not good?

So your saying their is a chance?! He was stepped on by the TE Spann. Only 6-6 240.

If he got stepped on by a 300 pound plus guy while laying on the ground...total speculation...he could have broken his leg or ankle?
Linemen are tough guys. Since he didn’t return...likely not good?
That was the odd thing. When he went off, I assumed they would wrap him up tight and send him right back. I did not expect him not to return for the rest of the game because he was stepped on. Something else definitely happened there.

I watched that play back. He buckled while run blocking. I don't think he got hit or stepped on. I'm guessing torn knee cartilage at a minimum or sprain/torn ligament from an ackward plant.

I watched that play back. He buckled while run blocking. I don't think he got hit or stepped on. I'm guessing torn knee cartilage at a minimum or sprain/torn ligament from an ackward plant.

As a side issue, I think Faalele's going down the play before was one of the key factors in punting on 4th and 2 right after that - whether the coaches publicly admit it or not.

As a side issue, I think Faalele's going down the play before was one of the key factors in punting on 4th and 2 right after that - whether the coaches publicly admit it or not.
Didn't even think of that being a factor. Could make an argument that was the reason. I was too annoyed by the decision to punt that thought didn't even cross my mind in real-time.

Didn't even think of that being a factor. Could make an argument that was the reason. I was too annoyed by the decision to punt that thought didn't even cross my mind in real-time.

Watching in the stadium live, Wiscy's dominance of the Gophs o-line was already apparent that early in the game. The interior OL got totally stoned man on man by the DL on the prior two plays with negative push. My buddy and I were both miffed at that the punt call but figured Faalele's being out (that reshuffled players across the line) was a factor.

Would help if our elite hs linemen in mn would stay home more freaking often than feeding our rivals all the time...I looked at our top rivals states products and they stay home more than these Damn kids

of course it was. I think they wanted to regroup before trying such a risk. I don’t blame them. What’s disturbing is that we have no backup OLmen to put in that go beyond the 6-man rotation. I sure hope they have some RSfreshmen ready for 2020.

2nd and two after an 8 yard completion. After a 27 yard completion.

Two runs and a punt.

From the WI 35. In the biggest game the past 50 years.

No excuse. Except we did equally dumb things running twice on third and long.

of course it was. I think they wanted to regroup before trying such a risk. I don’t blame them. What’s disturbing is that we have no backup OLmen to put in that go beyond the 6-man rotation. I sure hope they have some RSfreshmen ready for 2020.

Agreed. The fact that the Gophs had access to their 6-man "heavy" OL options in the PSU game win and not Wiscy or Iowa losses might have more significance than many recognize .

The fact that the Gophs even need to use an unconventional 6-man line, and thus giving up an extra receiving/running option, speaks to the OL's need to improve.

Last edited:

Hoping Faalele recovers quickly. Wisconsin defense played much better this year than last. Last year with Weyler and Greene on the Gopher offensive line they outplayed the Badgers. Yesterday the Gophers offensive line were outmatched.

Agreed. The fact that the Gophs had access to their 6-man "heavy" OL options in the PSU game win and not Wiscy or Iowa losses might have more significance than many recognize.

The fact that the Gophs even need to use an unconventional 6-man line, and thus giving up an extra receiving/running option, speaks to the OL's need to improve.
agree 100%. The offense was successful against a PSU D that was the best D we faced all season because PJ et al. schemed around extra protection, and Morgan barely got touched all game by a PSU D that typically crushes opposing QBs. It was no coincidence that lack of the same protection schemes against Iowa and Wisconsin led to Morgan getting pressured into sacks, bad throws, and fumbles, along with lack of a running game. I think one thing this staff does really well on offense is protect against weaknesses, but it seems they struggle when they don’t have the personnel to mitigate those weaknesses.

Fleck downplayed this, but it is a fact that we just have to live with: few defenses run a base 3-4, and Wisconsin is one of them, and it's hard to block. It was designed like that, to stop the veer option.

When you're used to seeing 40 fronts for the most of the season, then in comes Wisc, it just takes an adjustment.

No disrespect to Daniel, but his presence would have made no difference. They owned us on both sides of the line.

No disrespect to Daniel, but his presence would have made no difference. They owned us on both sides of the line.
Fair opinion. Too bad the Gophers did not get to run that experiment at least for the O.

It hurt that we couldn't go to 6 lineman.
We had success with that against good teams to be able to run.
When Big Dan got hurt, that went away.

If we had more depth, we still could have stayed more balanced.

The 6 OL will all be back next year and will continue to improve IMO. I think they need to play the top back ups in decided games like Illinois, Nebraska and Northwestern . Dickson, Sassack, Beir, Tyler and perhaps others.

The 6 OL will all be back next year and will continue to improve IMO. I think they need to play the top back ups in decided games like Illinois, Nebraska and Northwestern . Dickson, Sassack, Beir, Tyler and perhaps others.

Is there any particular reason they couldn't play one of them yesterday after Faalele went down?

Would help if our elite hs linemen in mn would stay home more freaking often than feeding our rivals all the time...I looked at our top rivals states products and they stay home more than these Damn kids
true, but correct me if I am wrong but I don't think wisc did not have a Minny kid on their roster, but I agree with your point

true, but correct me if I am wrong but I don't think wisc did not have a Minny kid on their roster, but I agree with your point
They got a 4 star tackle coming or redshirted one from MN

There must have been a sniper placed in the stands by Wisconsin. The amount of Gophers that went down during that crucial game was uncanny.

For Faalele, when you have a guy that big, even a relatively minor injury could be enough to keep him out of the game. That's a lot of mass to move around, and even if it's only a rolled ankle, the lack of mobility could still keep him out of a game. So, it doesn't have to be anything catastrophic. even if it's a high ankle sprain, he could still be back for the Bowl game. he's got a month to heal.

Those 400 lbs put extra strain on vulnerable knee joints, assuming its a knee issue.

Last edited:

Top Bottom