Ezra: An Insane Number of Schools Tried to Lure Mike Mitchell Jr. Out of Dinkytown with Big NIL Offers

With Mitchell as our weakest link...we'd have had a very good team if everyone returned. Our other starters were all $500K to $1M on the open market.

I might revise him up a little. But you can find a lot of guys like him.
I tend to agree with the first part. I don’t think he has the skill set to be a 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd option on a good team but he is still very valuable as a shooter, might be the best pure shooter in the conference. Good teams always have a sniper like him. I bet Garcia loves having an elite floor spacer like Mitchell in the lineup

Not sure why folks think Mitchell Jr wouldn’t be coveted. He’s an elite 3 point shooter that can also be a secondary ball handler. I’m not necessarily Ben’s biggest fan but I promise it is okay to give him some credit for some of the guys he’s brought in.
Elite? I get his percentage is high but he averages 11 points a game. That is not a lot of volume and he plays a lot of minutes.

He is a good shooter. but I'd agree not sure if he is an elite floor spacer.

Only way he stays here if the money was somewhat close . Certainly not a starter on better teams. imo

A lot of offers. But not a lot of money. Probably about $50K.

We lost 3 guys that were $500K+.
You have no idea this happened. And don't tell me it came from Doggie, Shooter or Sharma because that's all BS.

You have no idea this happened. And don't tell me it came from Doggie, Shooter or Sharma because that's all BS.
Everybody on this website quotes numbers (and facts) as if they had a clue, and everybody knows that nobody knows.
But they all bluff their sorry asses off!

Everybody on this website quotes numbers (and facts) as if they had a clue, and everybody knows that nobody knows.
But they all bluff their sorry asses off!
You do agree that Payne & Hawkins left for money, correct? We at least have that straight, right?

And that Christie would have transferred.

And that Garcia stayed for much less money than he could have gotten.

As for the exact numbers...no they're not officially disclosed. But we get a pretty good idea from all the media reports, rumors, 2nd-hand witnesses, coaches comments, etc., etc.

You do agree that Payne & Hawkins left for money, correct? We at least have that straight, right?

And that Christie would have transferred.

And that Garcia stayed for much less money than he could have gotten.

As for the exact numbers...no they're not officially disclosed. But we get a pretty good idea from all the media reports, rumors, 2nd-hand witnesses, coaches comments, etc., etc.
My complaint is that when an ACTUAL NUMBER is printed, that gives the IMPRESSION that number has accuracy or verification which doesn't really exist.
For example:
if I say the sun is
93,123 456.789 miles away, that gives the false impression that I did NOT pull that number out of my ass!

My complaint is that when an ACTUAL NUMBER is printed, that gives the IMPRESSION that number has accuracy or verification which doesn't really exist.
For example:
if I say the sun is
93,123 456.789 miles away
, that gives the false impression that I did NOT pull that number out of my ass!
If you round to two significant figures, you're right on!

Per Better Than...

Mike Mitchell Jr. staying with Minnesota Gophers despite A LOT of NIL offers elsewhere​

And if you believe what Mike said this week, it wasn’t due to lack of offers. According to the Star Tribune, Mitchell Jr. was fielding over six calls per week with NIL offers from different schools, trying to lure him out of Dinkytown and into the transfer portal, all the way up until the portal closed on May 11th.

Despite the attention, Mike is sticking around. He obviously loves and trusts Ben Johnson. The specifics of Mitchell’s offers or their amounts remain undisclosed and we do not know how much he is making in Name, Image and Likeness dollars here in Minnesota.

Go Gophers!!
Idk why we
don't just pay them, we have the money, id we don't then we get kids that run a train, doesn't make a difference on type of kid u get, just need to pay them now, it's that simple

Idk why we
don't just pay them, we have the money, id we don't then we get kids that run a train, doesn't make a difference on type of kid u get, just need to pay them now, it's that simple
I agree 100% that we could have kept & paid our players if we wanted to.

Coyle is lying (at the behest of our administration) when he says we couldn't pay...and that we're still organizing & coordinating & all that crap.

The number floated around for Garcia is $500,000. Lot of comments to kind of verify that from him Fox and Ben. So, if that's what we cobbled together to keep the guy Ben says has his target set on being Big Ten MVP. Well, I don't think we had enough money to pay Hawkins and Payne similar numbers. IF we did, now, we gotta up the amount to Garcia or he feels used and he walks for more money.

Then you got the elephant in the room....if Christie comes back to college you need enough money to get a hometown discount at $1 million competing with other schools. At which point you need $500,000 more for Garcia, minimum.

So you add all that up and it's an additional $2.5 to $3 million...which I don't think we have.

Watching last year with those players....are you going to be able to convince an investor to ante up $3 million because we think we can be Big Ten Champs this year? Or probably worse...3 or more investors to buy in.

Last edited:

The number floated around for Garcia is $500,000. Lot of comments to kind of verify that from him Fox and Ben. So, if that's what we cobbled together to keep the guy Ben says has his target set on being Big Ten MVP. Well, I don't think we had enough money to pay Hawkins and Payne similar numbers. IF we did, now, we gotta up the amount to Garcia or he feels used and he walks for more money.

Then you got the elephant in the room....if Christie comes back to college you need enough money to get a hometown discount at $1 million competing with other schools. At which point you need $500,000 more for Garcia, minimum.

So you add all that up and it's an additional $2.5 to $3 million...which I don't think we have.

Watching last year with those players....are you going to be able to convince an investor to ante up $3 million because we think we can be Big Ten Champs this year? Or probably worse...3 or more investors to buy in.
I think Garcia would give us the same discount even if we paid our other guys.

Maybe Payne & Hawkins would have stayed for $400K each. And maybe Christie too (if he didn't trust his draft position)...he might simply want us to be in the ballpark.

That's $1.7M. I think it's still absurd...but there's really no other good option.

Last edited:

Elite? I get his percentage is high but he averages 11 points a game. That is not a lot of volume and he plays a lot of minutes.
Not a lot of volume? Sir, he attempted the 12th most 3s in the conference last year on a per game basis while shooting a high percentage.

Not a lot of volume? Sir, he attempted the 12th most 3s in the conference last year on a per game basis while shooting a high percentage.
If he wants to increase his volume, he could fart when he shoots threes...
And that might also increase his vertical....

12th most? (14th in conference games fwiw) And he averaged 10 points...

Nothing about that says elite btw.

12th in a 14-team league would put him among the team-leaders in BIG10.
"ELITE" is a self-defined adjective.

I never said he is an elite player btw. I said he’s an elite shooter and floor spacer and is extremely valuable to this team because of his ability to shoot the basketball. Without him Garcia would be doubled on every single touch because nobody else on this team outside of Mitchell Jr is a respected enough jump shooter.

I never said he is an elite player btw. I said he’s an elite shooter and floor spacer and is extremely valuable to this team because of his ability to shoot the basketball. Without him Garcia would be doubled on every single touch because nobody else on this team outside of Mitchell Jr is a respected enough jump shooter.
NAME 3PT%
Mitchell 39.9 (2023-4)
Williams 36.7 (career)
Allen-Eikens 36.1 (2023-4)
Rigsby 35.3 (2023-4)
Patterson 35.0 (2023-4)
I would say Mitchell is a keeper as a 3pt% shooter.
The reason that Mitchell didn't shoot more often is because Christie shot
39.1% and Hawkins shot 36.4 % last season. (3pt%)

Last edited:

NAME 3PT%
Mitchell 39.9 (2023-4)
Williams 36.7 (career)
Rigsby 35.3 (2023-4)
Patterson 35.0 (2023-4)
More likely he didn’t shoot more because he couldn’t get open. Decent rotation guy.

NAME 3PT%
Mitchell 39.9 (2023-4)
Williams 36.7 (career)
Allen-Eikens 36.1 (2023-4)
Rigsby 35.3 (2023-4)
Patterson 35.0 (2023-4)
I’d bet on Williams not even cracking the rotation. He’s probably the 11th guy on the depth chart right now. Allen-Eikens isn’t even on the team yet and Rigbsy/Patterson still need to prove it as they were both pretty bad shooters before last season. The lack of jump shooting on this team is pretty alarming imo, they need to get a wing like DAE who can score from all 3 levels

More likely he didn’t shoot more because he couldn’t get open. Decent rotation guy.
Catch-and-shoot guys usually ARE open because of teammates' ball movement.
Christie and Mitchell can't GET open like Kyree Irving and Anthony Edwards who are dribble-drive guys.

I’d bet on Williams not even cracking the rotation. He’s probably the 11th guy on the depth chart right now. Allen-Eikens isn’t even on the team yet and Rigbsy/Patterson still need to prove it as they were both pretty bad shooters before last season. The lack of jump shooting on this team is pretty alarming imo, they need to get a wing like DAE who can score from all 3 levels
I am all-in on "need to get a wing like DAE"!
As far as "bad shooters before last season", the importance of 3pt% jumped in importance at all levels last season.

Call the teams out by name, provide records of the contacts.....Mitchell has nothing to lose at this point, he is in his final year.
And what would he stand to gain by becoming an adult "tattle tail"? Even if him doing so would start to bring about the change you mentioned, he'll be out of NCAA competition by the time anything is ever done about it, if at all.

On the other hand, he might have something to lose, and that's the respect of the athletes he competes with. They are all getting paid more money than they probably otherwise would by taking advantage of this "tampering". If he helps stop it, and keeps players from earning more by transferring, I'd suspect he might take a hard foul or ten per game. Look at how Caitlin Clark is getting beat up in the WNBA - I'm not sure why, but she must've done something to someone.

Last edited:

Top Bottom