Extra Year for Brian Bobek

Killjoy

Reaction score
On the Sports Huddle with Sid and Dave coach Kill said Brian Bobek is practicing but would not play in the bowl game since they are applying for a medical waiver for this past season. This would allow him to play two more years. Kill also was excited about all the work the marketing department is doing to get kids down there. He said the bowls all want to know how well do your fans travel. Speaking of traveling, the whole team will be traveling to the bowl game. They are busy preparing for the game but it is hard to schedule practices now during exams. Monday and Tuesday coaches will be focused on finalizing and preparing their practice schedules. I suspect after that their focus will be on the bowl game.

This would be really great news. It'd mean our depth chart in 2015 would look something like this...

2015-2016

LT- Lauer (r-Jr) + A. Mayes (r-So)
LG- Bjorklund (r-Sr) + Hayes (r-Jr)
C- Christenson (r-Sr) + Bobek (r-Sr)
RG- Bush (r-Sr) + C. Mayes (r-Fr)
RT- Campion (r-Sr) + Pirsig (R-Jr)

This would be really great news. It'd mean our depth chart in 2015 would look something like this...

2015-2016

LT- Lauer (r-Jr) + A. Mayes (r-So)
LG- Bjorklund (r-Sr) + Hayes (r-Jr)
C- Christenson (r-Sr) + Bobek (r-Sr)
RG- Bush (r-Sr) + C. Mayes (r-Fr)
RT- Campion (r-Sr) + Pirsig (R-Jr)

Yep, I love all of that everyone on this list has a "r" in front of their name. It's vital to be able to RS your offensive linemen (unless they are incredibly special). As you said, the depth chart will look something like that, I think Hayes and Pirsig will overtake some spots by 2015, but the OL will be interesting.

Yep, I love all of that everyone on this list has a "r" in front of their name. It's vital to be able to RS your offensive linemen (unless they are incredibly special). As you said, the depth chart will look something like that, I think Hayes and Pirsig will overtake some spots by 2015, but the OL will be interesting.

Agreed, you can't stress enough how important that extra RS year is for linemen. A 23 y/o vs an 18 y/o is men vs boys is most cases.

I agree Hayes could leapfrog someone at G, but the bottom line is that barring injury we'll have 3 legit options at G in at least their 4th year in the program. Same with the T position, where we'll have 3 players in at least their 4th year in the program. Also, C Mayes could well end up at Center. By 2016-2017 Chad Fahning and Matt Leidner should be options and hopefully Ragnow's in the mix at that time as well. Damn it's nice to have options.

I don't know who on the staff handles the filing for medical waivers, but its just another great job by the staff. One thing I am not sure about but Pirsig Red Shirted and was injured and did not play, will he be eligible and will they file for a medical waiver?

I'm 99% positive that Pirsig played this year on special teams units. Unless my eyes were deceiving me, I swore I saw him out there more than once.

Per Gophersports.com, he made his debut at the NMSU game. No stats listed.

On the Sports Huddle with Sid and Dave coach Kill said...the whole team will be traveling to the bowl game.

I saw a couple of Kill-isms on a thread about Nelson and will be starting one during the bowl week, so start thinking up your favorites. lol. As for the entire team traveling, even the kids who didn't play one play, the reward is "very well deserving."

If you can get a medical redshirt for a broken leg, I would guess you can get one for a heart infection that was diagnosed before the season and the doctors just recently cleared him to play.

If you can get a medical redshirt for a broken leg, I would guess you can get one for a heart infection that was diagnosed before the season and the doctors just recently cleared him to play.

I sure hope so, but it seems when someone transfers, it has a impact on things that would otherwise be straight forward.

Since the Big Ten and not the NCAA took a year of eligibility away from Bobek, does the request for another year go to the NCAA or the Big Ten?

It used to be much more straight forward and the answer was almost always "no". It came down to whether or not a specific injury cost you two years.

First, it's a different scenario than a medical hardship waiver. A medical hardship waiver exists when you play just a bit in the first half of the year and get injured. It's the situation like Boddy-Cahloun.

Getting a 6th year is a different analysis. . .
From my understanding, a player must show that he missed more than 1 year due to a situation outside of his control. The problem is that Bobek took a redshirt during his transfer season. The NCAA specifically states that taking a redshirt is not one of those situations outside of his control. He sat out because he transferred and took a RS. So the illness only cost Bobek most of this season. So, I would actually be a bit surprised if he was granted a sixth year. However, they are becoming more and more liberal with this rule.
-This is why Kim Royston was really stressing that he had to transfer for family reasons (it made his "choice" to come back to the U, less of a choice and more of a family obligation).
-It is also why the Mbakwe case was so difficult. Was the situation entirely outside of his control? (being accused of assault) There were a lot of fake experts weighing in that there was 0% chance he got a 6th year, but they didn't understand the process.

So yeah, it'll be interesting.

Since the Big Ten and not the NCAA took a year of eligibility away from Bobek, does the request for another year go to the NCAA or the Big Ten?

I would imagine it goes through the NCAA. He is petitioning for a 6th year, a waiver of an NCAA rule.

I would imagine it goes through the NCAA. He is petitioning for a 6th year, a waiver of an NCAA rule.

He's actually petitioning for a 5th year. Because he transferred within the Big Ten Conference, the conference took away a year of eligibility.

I'm 99% positive that Pirsig played this year on special teams units. Unless my eyes were deceiving me, I swore I saw him out there more than once.

I thought the entire 2nd team offensive line played a series late in a nonconference game, including Pirsig a drive ending with a Leidner TD run. I think it was the UNLV game. Almost certain I saw Pirsig in there for that series.

Wouldn't a medical redshirt for Pirsig be applied for at the end of his eligibility?

Top Bottom