Extra Scholarship??

cfield23

Reaction score
Now that Royce has said he'll leave... What do we do with the extra scholarship?

What happened to Jon Horford? Last I heard, he was being recruited by us... but I haven't heard any details...

Cory Joseph and Jon Horford would make our class next year one of the best again! Plus Horford is big and could replace Royce's size...

What does everyone think?

JohnnyGopher sent me a text that the staff is intrigued by Godfrey's athleticism, so he is certainly an option.

While we'll obviously hold out hope for Joseph and Creekmur, it's imperative that we add some beef to our lineup next year as we really need a PF. We'll probably start looking at JUCO PFs as well, if we haven't already. Getting Trevor back would solve a lot of that, but even if he comes back we need more depth at that position.

Go Gophers!!

JohnnyGopher sent me a text that the staff is intrigued by Godfrey's athleticism, so he is certainly an option.

While we'll obviously hold out hope for Joseph and Creekmur, it's imperative that we add some beef to our lineup next year as we really need a PF. We'll probably start looking at JUCO PFs as well, if we haven't already. Getting Trevor back would solve a lot of that, but even if he comes back we need more depth at that position.

Go Gophers!!

Is Godfrey a senior or juco?? Also, what about Marcus Paige? Is he this year or next year? and Joe Coleman i know is 2011, but has he accepted?

Thanks bleed!

Godfrey is a senior at Cooper HS, he had been living in Milwaukee up until this year so it's not as if he is a typical "in-state" recruit in the sense that he has built in interest in the U or vice versa. But he's in our backyard now, our staff has seen him play a few times (as recently as this past Friday night, according to JG) and we have a relationship with the Cooper staff due to Rodney.

Coleman is in 2011 and has not accepted, although he had back to back games of 30+ this past weekend and appears to be having a fantastic junior year.

Go Gophers!!

I like the idea of Creekmur in this class. 6'7" guy that can shoot and create. We sorely miss someone with a jump shot over 6'3".

Go Gophers!!

Do you know if he's even really an option as far as eligibilty goes? I don't remember all the details, but I know there are some weird/unique details about him. I think I remember it being questionable whether he should even be eligible to play high school ball this year and I believe there may be other issues as well. Do you know what they are and if it's really a good idea to go after him?

Now that Royce has said he'll leave... What do we do with the extra scholarship?

What happened to Jon Horford? Last I heard, he was being recruited by us... but I haven't heard any details...

Cory Joseph and Jon Horford would make our class next year one of the best again! Plus Horford is big and could replace Royce's size...

What does everyone think?

Horford is a heavy Michigan lean. And he's not big. He's a thin finesse forward. Pretty much the exact opposite of his brother.

Godfrey is a senior at Cooper HS, he had been living in Milwaukee up until this year so it's not as if he is a typical "in-state" recruit in the sense that he has built in interest in the U or vice versa.

Actually, Godfrey hasn't been living in Milwaukee up until this year. In December 2008 he left Milwaukee Custer to go to Fitchburg, MA to play at Notre Dame Prep. This past summer it looked like Godfrey may end up at Milwaukee Hamilton... then Armstrong... and finally Cooper.

Sounds like a very nice kid and at this stage the Gophers will probably keep looking at him... although some of the movement and changes in his past worry me (departure from Custer... verbal to UWM, then re-opening... this past summer's movement(s), etc...). I hope he does well, but not sure if he's a guy that helps a Big Ten school very much.

Creekmur - I think we'll hear from him very soon.

Horford - looking like Michigan, but even after Michigan I think there are others standing ahead of the Gophers.

Cory Joseph - No changes to what I've previously said.. we have an outside shot.

Maybe Tubby & Crew find a gem in the JUCO ranks... if not, I like the idea of finding an off-the-radar guy that is long and athletic vs. a Creekmur... but, we'll see.

GopherWarrior, how does Godfrey compare to a guy like Robert Eppinger from a few years ago? They both came to MN as seniors, and seemed to stir a bit of interest and buzz at arrival. Godrey sounds as if he's more athletic than Eppinger was/is and possibly a higher upside? Any thoughts?...

Thanks.

Go Gophers!!

Are we sure that the last scholarship should be used on a PF? I think long term that recruiting a young PF might be the best option but next years team could use an athletic wing who is a scorer.

Our front court will have 3 Juniors in Sampson, Iverson and Mbwawke. Along with the senior Carter who plays SF/PF.

The rest of the team is mainly made up of guards. Blake, Cobbs, Devoe, Nolen.

The only true wing player we have is Rodney who is still very raw.

I guess without knowing who is still available I would like to see Tubby go out and get a scorer on from the wing. Who most likely would be a Junior college player.

Eppinger vs Godfrey

Bleed I'll take a shot at your question. Simple answer is that they're very different players. Eppinger was more skilled and more known for his offense. Godfrey is more athletic and a big defensive presence with a raw offensive game. Godfrey has more upside, but Eppinger was more ready at this point in his career.

Hopefully Godfrey's story turns out to the positive story that Eppinger's did.

Thanks tchoopsczar - I appreciate it.

Go Gophers!!

I don't know anything about any of these kids. But, I'm happy to see that someone is putting a positive spin on all the nonsense that is going on.

GopherWarrior, how does Godfrey compare to a guy like Robert Eppinger from a few years ago? They both came to MN as seniors, and seemed to stir a bit of interest and buzz at arrival. Godrey sounds as if he's more athletic than Eppinger was/is and possibly a higher upside? Any thoughts?...

Yeah, as tchoopsczar noted -- Eppinger was regarded as a better player in his senior year... he had some high-major attention, whereas Godfrey doesn't.

Eppinger's journey was/has been troubled like no other.. ugh. Rough. When he finally got to UIC he had some decent games... ended the season on a strong note, but I think he then left UIC after one year because of more academic problems. Had a chance to be a good D1 player, but ...

Top Bottom