Expectations for Cam Christie in yr 1?

There are four ways to look at next year:

I don't care- that's most fans
It's all negative- that's half on this site or more
It might be much better- there are a few
Wait and see- some of those as well

Is there some harm in taking the "it might be much better" view? Does one need to apologize for optimism? I doubt that there will be much of a mea culpa from those who are sure it will be in the toilet again- if it is much better.

I am in the wait and see, it might be much better, combo view. I hope it is!
This is the reality view of someone reasonable although a bit to the negative side. Chemistry, what kind and who, and rotation. There is ample talent and depth. It is on the coaching now.

~ add~
It can’t be any worse.

Is there some harm in taking the "it might be much better" view? Does one need to apologize for optimism? I doubt that there will be much of a mea culpa from those who are sure it will be in the toilet again- if it is much better.

I am in the wait and see, it might be much better, combo view. I hope it is!
There are myriad ways to look at next year. I am always optimistic things will be better. Nobody needs to apologize for optimism, but claiming that two players with zero college experience will be markedly better than Jamison Battle doesn't add to the discussion. It comes off as crazy unless you have some inside information about how Betts and Christie actually are playing. I'm asking for a small amount of accountability instead of having burner accounts show up every year with outlandish claims.
There is no such thing as concrete numbers. Only a fool would try to do that. Think Loblaw. Lol.

Greatly improved? No doubt. It is a team game and we do not know what the chemistry will be. I am also very excited about Mitchell.
I do think we have a chance to be better as a team, because of players in better roles and actually having functional guard play and speed. I'm actually most excited about Hawkins. And really curious to see Betts and Christie. It's fun to have some optimism. But if you claim they are going to be 100x better I would like to know how that will manifest on an individual basis.

Battle was our highest hope for last coming back off a very good year. Our other perceived star was Garcia and we knew very little about him . And then he was slow to start. Battle was a huge disappointment last year and a net negative if you really understand basketball. I believe both Christie and Betts have higher ceilings than Garcia. Hawkins is more exciting to watch than Mitchell, but I think Mitchell will contribute more to team success. 100 X better. Of course that’s hyperbole, but either or both on combination will be far better than even 21-22 Battle.,Yes, the good Battle.

Heads are going to explode when Carrington and Ola-Joseph are starting ahead of Betts and Christie next fall.
Ola-Joseph and Carrington should be starting over them I don’t think you could get lower than the bottom of the barrel if they weren’t.

Heads are going to explode when Carrington and Ola-Joseph are starting ahead of Betts and Christie next fall.

I'll be surprised if Carrington doesn't start, but I doubt Ola-Joseph starts unless they bring Payne off the bench again, which I don't think they are dumb enough to do 2 years in a row.

Here are some numbers that suggest Christie may be elite shooter. That does not hurt.

Last season FT%

1. Battle - 78
2. Carrington -72
3. Cooper - 61
3. Ola-Joseph -57
4. Payne - 48

1. Klay Thompson - 87
2. Harden -87
3. Ant -85
4. Stephen Curry - 84
5. Ja Morant -77
6. D'Angelo 77
7. D'Aaron Fox 75

1. Cristie - 88

88% for a season is not that easy,

I'll be surprised if Carrington doesn't start, but I doubt Ola-Joseph starts unless they bring Payne off the bench again, which I don't think they are dumb enough to do 2 years in a row.
Do not over estimate what this staff is capable of. I still have visions of Ola-Joseph on the Purdue big man.

That's just not true. The majority of people I see as being called "all negative" have been really high on a number of things - Asuma, Hawkins, and Mitchell.

There is just a drastically different opinion on things to be positive about and to be negative about.

Maybe there are a couple of folks on here that are negative on everything, but I don't think it's many people.

The dude's bro was also a pretty bad college basketball player. Hopefully he hasn't learned too much :).
There are people that won’t recognize your sarcasm and humor. Just as many do not recognize our banter is just sarcasm and entertainment too. Like who would actually believe you are serious?

Do not over estimate what this staff is capable of. I still have visions of Ola-Joseph on the Purdue big man.

Despite JOJ being our starting center last year, and not being capable of defending guards or wings, that won’t stop people on here from trying to pencil him in at the 3.

As Burns projects the lineup he says JOJ defends the 3 well just does not have the shot to play it. He has him starting at the 3. Not what I advocate just repeating Burns.
Despite JOJ being our starting center last year, and not being capable of defending guards or wings, that won’t stop people on here from trying to pencil him in at the 3.
I would agree but FWIW, Burns has him starting at the 3 for his defense. I’m not saying Burns is wrong but I am sure we have better. Burns does admit JOJ doesn’t have the shot for a 3, but likes his defense and rebounding.

As Burns projects the lineup he says JOJ defends the 3 well just does not have the shot to play it. He has him starting at the 3. Not what I advocate just repeating Burns.

I would agree but FWIW, Burns has him starting at the 3 for his defense. I’m not saying Burns is wrong but I am sure we have better. Burns does admit JOJ doesn’t have the shot for a 3, but likes his defense and rebounding.
Who is Burns? You mean Ryan Burns, the football guy?

I'm guessing you meant Ryan James, but confidently used Burns 5 times in a 50 word post.

There are myriad ways to look at next year. I am always optimistic things will be better. Nobody needs to apologize for optimism, but claiming that two players with zero college experience will be markedly better than Jamison Battle doesn't add to the discussion. It comes off as crazy unless you have some inside information about how Betts and Christie actually are playing. I'm asking for a small amount of accountability instead of having burner accounts show up every year with outlandish claims.

I do think we have a chance to be better as a team, because of players in better roles and actually having functional guard play and speed. I'm actually most excited about Hawkins. And really curious to see Betts and Christie. It's fun to have some optimism. But if you claim they are going to be 100x better I would like to know how that will manifest on an individual basis.
I don't think anyone who's coming in / now to the rotation is better than Battle. I think they're better fits/ fill a bigger need. Hawkins has speed and we have depth this year. Based on THAT, we should be much improved this year. NCAA tourney bound? Small chance. NIT? Better chance. I'm cautiously optimistic

I don't think anyone who's coming in / now to the rotation is better than Battle. I think they're better fits/ fill a bigger need. Hawkins has speed and we have depth this year. Based on THAT, we should be much improved this year. NCAA tourney bound? Small chance. NIT? Better chance. I'm cautiously optimistic
I think there could be a number of new guys better than last year's Battle. The Battle of two years ago? Not likely. Both ends of the court are important. As we learn from Wisky- defense will win you some games.

That's about where I am as well. Really excited for Hawkins' speed and playmaking. And his ballhandling along with Mitchell and to a lesser extent Carrington, we should have 3 competent guards. Last year all we had was Cooper and he had some glaring flaws that were exacerbated by being the only healthy guard for most of the season.

I think the biggest question right now is SF/wing, and who gets run there and how they are used.

That's about where I am as well. Really excited for Hawkins' speed and playmaking. And his ballhandling along with Mitchell and to a lesser extent Carrington, we should have 3 competent guards. Last year all we had was Cooper and he had some glaring flaws that were exacerbated by being the only healthy guard for most of the season.

I think the biggest question right now is SF/wing, and who gets run there and how they are used.
Concur with all of that. Fairly obvious that Payne/Garcia will eat minutes at the 5/4. Hawkins/Mitchell will get plenty of minutes at the 1/2. Carrington will see a lot of time. Will it be at the 1 or 2?-Don't think that is relevent at this point. Does Ben run some 3 G with Hawkins, Mitchell, Carrington and Christie? We'll see. If not, does he go Betts/Christie/JOJ at the 3? Hopefully he'll try many combo's and a few will click. Does Ihnen get some run at the 3? Interesting to have options.

Regarding the depth mentioned earlier; I somewhat disagree. When 5 of your scholly's are #1-a football player, #2-#3-two guys coming off not one but two season ending injuries, #4 Ramberg, #5 Reeder or currently unfilled. That is not depth at the 9-13 positions on the roster. Also Christie and Betts will see their first college minutes. Optimistic but not confident.

Hawkins
Mitchell
Carrington
Christie?
Betts?
JOJ
Ihnen?
Fox?
Garcia
Payne
Wilson?
Ramberg
Reeder?

The 6 ?'s are either unproven, injured or young(freshmen). I would feel better with one more portal addition. Either a proven wing or 5.

Concur with all of that. Fairly obvious that Payne/Garcia will eat minutes at the 5/4. Hawkins/Mitchell will get plenty of minutes at the 1/2. Carrington will see a lot of time. Will it be at the 1 or 2?-Don't think that is relevent at this point. Does Ben run some 3 G with Hawkins, Mitchell, Carrington and Christie? We'll see. If not, does he go Betts/Christie/JOJ at the 3? Hopefully he'll try many combo's and a few will click. Does Ihnen get some run at the 3? Interesting to have options.

Regarding the depth mentioned earlier; I somewhat disagree. When 5 of your scholly's are #1-a football player, #2-#3-two guys coming off not one but two season ending injuries, #4 Ramberg, #5 Reeder or currently unfilled. That is not depth at the 9-13 positions on the roster. Also Christie and Betts will see their first college minutes. Optimistic but not confident.

Hawkins
Mitchell
Carrington
Christie?
Betts?
JOJ
Ihnen?
Fox?
Garcia
Payne
Wilson?
Ramberg
Reeder?

The 6 ?'s are either unproven, injured or young(freshmen). I would feel better with one more portal addition. Either a proven wing or 5.
I'm sure they want one more portal player. Also remember this- they know what Fox and Ihnen are able to do now, far better than we. I'd assume that they have talked to the doctors about what is likely - so they are assessing things with far more information than us. I think we will have good depth. My uninformed guess is that this is by far Ben's best roster so far.

Hawkins
Mitchell
Carrington
Christie?
Betts?
JOJ
Ihnen?
Fox?
Garcia
Payne
Wilson?
Ramberg
Reeder?

Eric Reader

Top Bottom