Evidence of recruiting difficulty

FanSinceTheFifties

Reaction score
StarTrib poll:
Question
Poll: Which Gophers sport are you most excited about?
Results
# of votes % of votes
Football 621 19%
Men's basketball 696 22%
Men's hockey 864 27%
Volleyball 548 17%
Women's basketball 91 3%
Women's hockey 145 5%
Wrestling 221 7%
Total Votes 3186

So football is the third most popular U of M sport among over 3000 sports fans who care enough about Gopher sports to vote. Football is 2 percentage points more popular than volleyball.
And all of these sports would fall behind the Vikings, Twins, Wild, and Timberwolves among area sports fans in general.

I think fans are usually more excited

for an upcoming season, like hockey and basketball are just starting their seasons and football is essentially finishing their season. You pretty much know what the football team is but the optimism and excitement for basketball and hockey are still unknowns. I really wouldn't read too much into a poll done by the strib, they don't take the time to proof read there headlines much less do a poll. I'm quessing its made up or they simply called ten people and magnified their results from that.

Even if this was accurate, I don't see what it has to do with recruiting. We compete against other schools to recruit players, not against other U of M sports.

But I question how meaningful these numbers are. Football barely any more popular than volleyball? I'm not putting down volleyball, I take my daughter to volleyball games. But it doesn't match football in terms of number of people who attend the games, in people who watch on TV or listen on the radio. I see a lot more Gopher football clothing than Gopher volleyball clothing.

Poll is about as interesting as spam and I mean no disrespect to FSTF. To me, it is just a junk poll.

Has nothing to do with recruiting, not even a fragment. No way you can make any logical connection.

Bogus poll. Women's rowing isn't even listed.

StarTrib poll:
Question
Results
# of votes % of votes
Football 621 19%
Men's basketball 696 22%
Men's hockey 864 27%
Volleyball 548 17%
Women's basketball 91 3%
Women's hockey 145 5%
Wrestling 221 7%
Total Votes 3186

So football is the third most popular U of M sport among over 3000 sports fans who care enough about Gopher sports to vote. Football is 2 percentage points more popular than volleyball.
And all of these sports would fall behind the Vikings, Twins, Wild, and Timberwolves among area sports fans in general.

OK. So I guess we should be building a 50,000 seat basketball arena. If football, the number 3 most popular sport is drawing in excess of 40,000 per home game, we should be able to sell at least that many in basketball. Note to Norwood Teague, we should probably plan on building a volleyball arena which seats about 30,000 to 35,000.

StarTrib poll:
Question
Results
# of votes % of votes
Football 621 19%
Men's basketball 696 22%
Men's hockey 864 27%
Volleyball 548 17%
Women's basketball 91 3%
Women's hockey 145 5%
Wrestling 221 7%
Total Votes 3186

This has nothing to do with recruiting but it shows how big of fair weather fans we are in Minnesota and it proves winning is everything!

I think football would came in third this year as far excitement goes if it was done before the season or after. Gopher football just isn't that popular in Minnesota as much as it pains me to say. Everyone knew preseason gopher hockey was going to be considered one of the top 3 teams in the country and gopher hoops has everyone thinking a lot of positivity. Gopher football has a long ways to go to build up a fan base. We need to win and I really hope we continue to get better

Go gophers

for an upcoming season, like hockey and basketball are just starting their seasons and football is essentially finishing their season. You pretty much know what the football team is but the optimism and excitement for basketball and hockey are still unknowns. I really wouldn't read too much into a poll done by the strib, they don't take the time to proof read there headlines much less do a poll. I'm quessing its made up or they simply called ten people and magnified their results from that.

Yep, that's exactly what it is. This would look differently if it were done in June.

I took a poll of 10 people, randomly selected, because I know them and their demographics:

End of poll. But I will be glad to write a numb nuts article about it.

The original post here is full of fail. First, as many others have said: this has nothing to do with football recruiting. Second: the poll asks which sport are you most excited about, NOT which one is the most important to you, or which one is your favorite. There is nothing wrong with the poll or unexpected from the responses.

I am most excited about the hockey team despite hockey ranking behind football and basketball on my list of UofM passions. The hockey team is poised for a legit run at a national championship, for chrissakes. The basketball team is a dark horse for a B1G championship.

There should be nothing surprising about these poll results, and this has about as much to do with football recruiting as my son's pee wee hockey game tonight.

I can understand why some non-revenue sports are lower on the "excited" scale, such as the #1 ranked wrestling team. Just not enough familiarity within a general strib audience.

The original post here is full of fail. First, as many others have said: this has nothing to do with football recruiting. Second: the poll asks which sport are you most excited about, NOT which one is the most important to you, or which one is your favorite. There is nothing wrong with the poll or unexpected from the responses.

I am most excited about the hockey team despite hockey ranking behind football and basketball on my list of UofM passions. The hockey team is poised for a legit run at a national championship, for chrissakes. The basketball team is a dark horse for a B1G championship.

There should be nothing surprising about these poll results, and this has about as much to do with football recruiting as my son's pee wee hockey game tonight.

I can understand why some non-revenue sports are lower on the "excited" scale, such as the #1 ranked wrestling team. Just not enough familiarity within a general strib audience.

not so sure about that. they have looked mighty ordinary so far this season. not sure the national championship talk around them is justified at this point.

now me? i am most excited about gopher football at the U of M. even when they are not in season. :)

Gopher Football is a sleeping giant in the state of Minnesota... aka Air Force Game in 2009

I guarantee you that half of the 25% that voted for the women's sports are women who don't like sports, but do like to vote in polls.

That anyone read into this shows how insecure and fragile much of the Gopher fanbase is. Who the hell cares.....

You ever read the comments in the Star Tribune? Two-thirds of them are from whack-jobs. This poll means very little.

StarTrib poll:
Question
Results
# of votes % of votes
Football 621 19%
Men's basketball 696 22%
Men's hockey 864 27%
Volleyball 548 17%
Women's basketball 91 3%
Women's hockey 145 5%
Wrestling 221 7%
Total Votes 3186

Volleyball is top 10 in the nation. Girl's hockey is defending national champs and #1 by a ton so far this year. Men's hockey is top 5 in the nation and a favorite to make the frozen four. Men's basketball is a top 25 team with a chance to make a deep run in the dance. Football is a fringe bowl team that is coming off back to back 3 win seasons.

You ever read the comments in the Star Tribune? Two-thirds of them are from whack-jobs. This poll means very little.

Which would account for 99% of subscribers. I predict no Strib by 2020, or it's relegation to National Enquirer status...

Volleyball is top 10 in the nation. Girl's hockey is defending national champs and #1 by a ton so far this year. Men's hockey is top 5 in the nation and a favorite to make the frozen four. Men's basketball is a top 25 team with a chance to make a deep run in the dance. Football is a fringe bowl team that is coming off back to back 3 win seasons.

Ouch. They're just as women as the boys are men. They're all kids to me though...

Ouch. They're just as women as the boys are men. They're all kids to me though...
My bad. No intent to belittle anyone. They are all kids to me as well. In fact, I asked for and received Women's hockey tickets for my birthday. Can't wait to see them smoke UMD.

While looking at the specific percentages on the poll probably isn't too significant, I don't think it is fair to say that the relative popularity of other sports is totally irrelevant. When a potential athlete compares a place like the U with a place like Nebraska, I think it has to mean something that hear they would be known to the Gopher football fans but in Lincoln, where Husker football is the only show in town, they would be a household name.

+1 right on the mark.

Top Bottom