Everyone

Self-fulfilling prophecy. You keep telling yourself and your players (not just in practice but to the media over and over again) that you're not talented, lack discipline, etc, what do you expect to happen. It's like me lining over a putt and my inner self knows I going to miss the putt. Sure enough, I miss the putt. Surprise!

I'm not saying Kill has to lie to the players and tell them they're all future HOF'ers but if I had a dime for everytime Kill ripped this team during an interview, I'd be Bill Gates rich.

Come on, they are not in pre-school and need to be told that there sh*t doesn't stink. Your comment is a joke. They need to show up and learn how to play. That is the bottom line. They seem to have ZERO EFFORT on the field, and it is embarassing.

Listening to Kill talk in his postgame, he is most definetly speaking the truth!

How about...
"We've got alot of things to work on. We've got some parts. We just have to put it together as a team."

instead of...
"You can't coach toughness. We're not tough enough."

or
"It's going to take a couple of years to get the talent in here to be competitive."

If my parents kept on telling me how much I sucked, not just to my face but to my friends and neighbors as well, I might start to believe them and get down on myself and resent my parents.

so you would like the coach to lie to make you feel better?

Guess no one believes today could be a product of a self-fulfilling prophecy. If Kill says I suck, then I must suck...right? How about keeping the negative comments to a dozen per interview. We get it (and obviously the players do as well give 58-0). We suck.

Self-fulfilling prophecy is certain a possiblity for losing 58-0, and it could have been worse if Michigan didn't call of the dogs in the 2nd half.

How about this: "We've got alot of things to work on." Is that a lie?

Do you know the biggest lie? "You can't coach toughness." B.S. I've got a high school friend that was a giagantic female anatomy part until he turned 20 and joined the Marines. Now he's the toughest SOB I know.

I'd like him to teach me something, rather than to insist I'm a turd. We've all had bad teachers, who justify their existence by the one kid who volunteers for extra credit, and who can read a textbook and learn on their own. The job of teacher, coach, boss, is to figure out what talent you have an elevate it. To continue to cry that the cupboard is bare, and set several records for suckitude, is really crass. Your job isn't to cry that the talent isn't there, it is to TEACH them what to do. Epic fail.

What bothers me is how a lot of these guys seem okay with not being very good. Each week a lot of the guys show zero increase in effort. Maybe it is because I have been kind of a gunner by whole life and really take pride in things, but it pisses me off seeing the melancholy attitudes. Duane Bennett is the only one on this team that I can honestly say looks like he "wants more". Even going back to last year, Duane always seems to be giving his all and I just wish others would do the same (I know there are more but Duane is one that sticks out in my mind the most). These upperclassmen seem to have become okay with losing, and that can be a tough culture to change.

How about...
"We've got alot of things to work on. We've got some parts. We just have to put it together as a team."

instead of...
"You can't coach toughness. We're not tough enough."

or
"It's going to take a couple of years to get the talent in here to be competitive."

If my parents kept on telling me how much I sucked, not just to my face but to my friends and neighbors as well, I might start to believe them and get down on myself and resent my parents.

Seems to me not to long ago that truthfulness and attitude was being applauded on this board.

Do people want a politician or do they want honesty? I understand it doesn't matter if we don't get results, but we won't for a year or two. So pick your poison I guess. I like Kill. I do question some play-calling, and I can't understand a lot of the lack of effort, but I feel like he needs to entirely change a regime and this can be tough. I think it is easier when your at a small school because you don't have quite as large of ego's as you do at a BCS school. When you have guys who think they should be playing on Sunday's and you tell them that they change their tackling apprach; they oftentimes think "what does this guy know, I am already more talented than these other guys I am playing against." This is a marathon and honestly- I don't envy Coach Kill because this is a pretty crappy job right now. Anytime you are building something and it takes time, you are going to take a lot of abuse before the finished product is done. This job is like the light rail construction- it sucks really, really bad right now because all it seems to do is screw one thing up after another; but hopefully when the job is done, it will make our (being the fans) lives a lot easier and we will say thank you.

Too many players seem to lack SELF PRIDE! If someone tells me I can't do something, I'm going to work my butt off to show him I can play as well as a 4 or 5 star guy. I've seen to alot of practices and he is tough but he is also positive and a teacher. When they do things right he lets them know with aout the same enthusiasm as he showed when they screwed up. Too many are used to going thru the motions and getting by with it. It will not happen now.

If that's the case then you are a pussy and your parents were right.

How about this: "We've got alot of things to work on." Is that a lie?

Do you know the biggest lie? "You can't coach toughness." B.S. I've got a high school friend that was a giagantic female anatomy part until he turned 20 and joined the Marines. Now he's the toughest SOB I know.

...and would you say the Marines are more similar to Coach Kill's style, or Brewster's style?

Look, the fact is some people respond to the blunt approach and some don't. Some will resent it, some will respond to it. If you listen to Kill's press conferences, it has become clear to me that he wants the type that do respond, but is stuck for the time being with many that don't.

And I'm glad he's not coddling those that don't respond to this style. Would you expect a Marine drill sergeant to say a bunch of nice reassuring things to the recruits that can't quite cut it, or would you be just fine knowing they got run out of the corps and aren't going to be the first one's hitting the beach? (not that I think Kill is running things like boot camp, so please don't bother with the Les Steckel references).

The point is there are different management styles. It is clear Kill's is much different than Brewster's. Different folks respond to different things. After four years seeing Brewster's style it is completely unsurprising that a guy like Kill might not sit well with some players. And too bad for them.

Peterschmidt doesn't deserve the abuse. It's pretty self-serving for a new coach to come in saying "look, there is NO talent here and they don't have any idea how to work or play. You're going to have to give me a few years to turn that around".

Translate that to "don't blame US for lousy play calling or effort. It's the old coach and his player's fault".

Kill and his coaches have taken the blame for play calling on Defense and Offense after every loss. The problem is much like the players that they constantly denigrate, the coaches don't ever seem to LEARN from any of their f-ing mistakes either.

It is his job to get them to play.

Agreed. They lack Intensity. I'm sick and tired of hearing how smart Limegrover is. The Olsons and Jimmy Gjere have talent, despite what is being said here. Get them to play!!

Top Bottom