Evan Daniels: Bakary Konate Commits to the U!

I would think 1 of the 2, Gaston or Bakary, would red shirt before EE or Mo transferring. Whatever happens it appears young Richard addressed some needs with this class.

Home
News Archive
Tournament
Coaching Clinic
Community Event
Charity
Past Events
Hall of Fame
Interviews
London United
About us
Contact us

Spanish U19 Top 10

Category: 1993 Born

Ramon Carbonell from Scoutbasketball counts down the top ten U19 players in professional Spanish Leagues. Read his countdown of the 1993 born age category from 10 to 1...

10: Joonas Caven
Club C.B Prat Joventut (FIATC Joventut 2nd team)
Competition LEB Silver
Position Power Forward / Forward
Height 6’ 11’’
D.O.B 09.01.1993
Hometown Nokia, Finland.

History & Stats
2009-2010 European U16 Championship: 11.0 ppg 6.2 rpg1.6 spg 0.9 bpg
2010-2011 Pyrinto (Korisliiga Finland): 3.5 ppg 1.6 rpg 0.3 apg
European U18 Championship: 13.9 ppg 5.1 rpg 0.6 apg 2.4 spg 1.0 bpg

When we talk about Joonas Caven’s game is impossible not to draw comparison with Hanno Mottola one of Finland's top players. Joonas has a power forward's size but feels comfortable in outside positions. He’s able to shoot and dribble like a small forward with strong back to the basket moves. For now, he has to improve his strength and bulk to be more productive in paint actions. His first season in Spain has exposed both the strengths and weaknesses of his game, but playing for a club like Joventut which is renowned for developing young talent will turn him into a valid contributor on the professional level in the very near future.

Strengths
General Huge size and long arms.
Good speed and coordination.
Offense Natural three point shooter, great footwork allows for a quick release of his shot.
He is able to play both back to basket and while facing the basket.
Good movement off the ball game, can easily find space for open shots.
Defense Good defensive attitude.
Good footwork in lateral movement.
Weaknesses
General Lack of strength he needs to bulk up.
Could be more solid in his game.
Offence His lack of strength makes him suffer with physical defenders.
Needs to work his left hand.
He is an inconsistent shooter.
His passing decisions could be improved.
Defense He suffers in blind screens and static defense off the ball.
His help defense needs to be quicker.

Video Click on the video number to watch Joonas Caven in action
1 (Player number 22)
2 (Player number 10)

9: Jorge Sanz
Club Real Madrid (2nd team)
Competition EBA-B
Position Point Guard
Height 6’ 1’’
D.O.B 04.01.1993
Hometown Madrid, Spain.

History & Stats
2008-2009 European U16 Championship: 8.1 ppg 2.3 rpg 1.0 apg 0.8 spg
2009-2010 U17 World Championship: 10.1 ppg 3.1 rpg 3.0 apg 1.9 spg
2010-2011 Real Madrid EBA-B: 7.0 ppg 1.3 rpg 1.6 apg 0.9 spg
U18 Spanish Clubs Championship: 10.2 ppg 1.8 rpg 2.4 apg 1.0 spg
European U18 Championship: 8.6 ppg 3.4 rpg 3.1 apg 1.1 spg

Real Madrid player since 2004, Jorge Sanz is a high scoring point guard with big natural talent to play basketball. During the 09-10 season he began to play in EBA-B league finishing with impressive numbers for a rookie. This season he has been the most prolific scorer in his team and has made his debut in Euroleague with Real Madrid first team against Belgacom Spirou. He needs to keep working on his defence to take his game to the next level.

Strengths
General Has a wining attitude which allows him to elevate his game under pressure.
Very technical player.
Offense Point guard with very good capacity for scoring.
He knows how to use his explosiveness to penetrate.
Good ball handling and dribbling.
Solid three point shooter, emphasizing front shots.
Efficient jump shots from mid range.
Defense Quick hands allow him to steal a good number of balls.
Solid player in pick and roll actions.
Weaknesses
General He needs to work on his lower body strength.
Offence He has to continue working on his court vision to be a more complete player.
Poor left hand dribbling.
He could be a more creative dribbler.
Defense His lateral movement could be improved.
His defensive intensity could be increased.
Can improve his zone defense.

Video Click on the video number to watch Jorge Sanz in action
1 (Player number 8)
2 (Player number 8)

8:pape Amadou Sow
Club Regal Barcelona (2nd team)
Competition LEB Silver
Position Power Forward - Forward
Height 6’9’’
D.O.B 14.12.1993
Hometown Ziguinchor, Senegal.

History & Stats
2009-2010 Cajasol Banca Civica EBA-D: 11.6 ppg 7.8 rpg 0.4 apg 0.8 spg 1.4 bpg
U-18 Spanish Clubs Championship: 9.7 ppg 9.7 rpg 2.0 spg 1.6 bpg
2010-2011 Cajasol Banca Civica EBA-D: 10.1 ppg 7.1 rpg 1.1 apg 1.2 spg 1.0 bpg

Pape Amadou Sow is a left handed power forward who arrived Spain in 2009 signed by Cajasol Banca Civica and soon excelled with his physical conditions and spectacular dunks. He’s developing his game to play as a forward, but for now he needs to improve his long range shooting and right hand to make the transition from power forward position. Last summer he was signed by F.C Barcelona as a good prospect to play in LEB Silver.

Strengths
General Very good physical conditioning, quick and has a great jump.
Plays really hard.
Offense Has a good first step in penetration.
He knows how to use his body to create physical contact with his opponent.
Good offensive rebounder.
Strong dunker.
He is able to score with mid range jump shots.
Defense Good concepts in help defense.
Great timing allows him to block shots easily.
Solid defensive rebounder.
Weaknesses
General Needs to keep working on strength in his upper body.
Has the risk of an undefined position between power forward and forward.
Offense Poor percentages from three point shooting, mainly due to poor footwork.
Low variety in low post movements.
Poor right hand dribbling.
Poor shot selection.
Defense Has to raise his defensive intensity.
Lacks decisiveness in zone defence.
His defense position and lateral ,movement could be improved.

Video Click on the video number to watch Pape Amadou Sow in action
1 (Player number 10)
2 (Player number 10)

7: Bakary Konate
Club UB La Palma (on loan from Gran Canaria 2014).
Competition LEB Gold
Position Center
Height 6’ 10’’
D.O.B 15.12.1993
Hometown Bamako, Mali.

History & Stats
2009-2010 La Caja Gran Canaria EBA-B: 7.3 ppg 5.8 rpg 0.6 spg 0.4 bpg
U18 Spanish Clubs Championship: 10.0 ppg 13.0 rpg 0.8 apg 2.6 spg 1.8 bpg
2010-2011 Gran Canaria EBA-B: 10.1 ppg 8.3 rpg 0.6 spg 0.8 bpg

Bakary Konate began to play basketball in Alkaya Toure Basketball Academy (Mali). In 2008 he signed an eight year deal with Gran Canaria and had such a sudden impact he was awarded MVP in the U-16 Spanish Clubs Championship 2009 and was playing in Jordan Brand Classic. The last two years he played in EBA-B league almost doubling his numbers in the last season, showing a good workability. This season he has to keep working on his lack of physical strength to cope with the demands of LEB Gold.

Strengths
General Huge size and wingspan.
He runs well and can finish fast breaks.
Two years experience in EBA-B league.
Offense Shows good skills in low post, he is able to make quick turns.
He has developed his left hand hook and is effective under the basket.
Strong dunker, he can play above the rim.
Aggressive in offensive rebounding.
Good dribbling skills for a player of his size.
Defense Great defensive rebounder.
Good timing allows him to block shots easily.
He is improving in pick & roll and flash actions.
Weaknesses
General A lack of weight and strength.
Offence Does not finish well under physical pressure.
He has to keep working mid range shots.
Has to improve his ball control, reducing turnovers in low post work.
Needs to be more solid in screens.
Defense Needs to avoid foul trouble.
He suffers in low post against players with more weight.
Has to increase his activity level with footwork.

7: Bakary Konate
Club UB La Palma (on loan from Gran Canaria 2014).
Competition LEB Gold
Position Center
Height 6’ 10’’
D.O.B 15.12.1993
Hometown Bamako, Mali.

History & Stats
2009-2010 La Caja Gran Canaria EBA-B: 7.3 ppg 5.8 rpg 0.6 spg 0.4 bpg
U18 Spanish Clubs Championship: 10.0 ppg 13.0 rpg 0.8 apg 2.6 spg 1.8 bpg
2010-2011 Gran Canaria EBA-B: 10.1 ppg 8.3 rpg 0.6 spg 0.8 bpg

Bakary Konate began to play basketball in Alkaya Toure Basketball Academy (Mali). In 2008 he signed an eight year deal with Gran Canaria and had such a sudden impact he was awarded MVP in the U-16 Spanish Clubs Championship 2009 and was playing in Jordan Brand Classic. The last two years he played in EBA-B league almost doubling his numbers in the last season, showing a good workability. This season he has to keep working on his lack of physical strength to cope with the demands of LEB Gold.

Strengths
General Huge size and wingspan.
He runs well and can finish fast breaks.
Two years experience in EBA-B league.
Offense Shows good skills in low post, he is able to make quick turns.
He has developed his left hand hook and is effective under the basket.
Strong dunker, he can play above the rim.
Aggressive in offensive rebounding.
Good dribbling skills for a player of his size.
Defense Great defensive rebounder.
Good timing allows him to block shots easily.
He is improving in pick & roll and flash actions.
Weaknesses
General A lack of weight and strength.
Offence Does not finish well under physical pressure.
He has to keep working mid range shots.
Has to improve his ball control, reducing turnovers in low post work.
Needs to be more solid in screens.
Defense Needs to avoid foul trouble.
He suffers in low post against players with more weight.
Has to increase his activity level with footwork.

Hopefully Bakary and Joey have an effective summer/fall working with the strength coaches. Sounds like alot of his weaknesses stem from his weight. A solid 15 pounds would do him wonders!

Have a difficult time believing either EE or Mo would want to transfer. Can't see it. Program on an up-tick (for now). Key roles await them for their senior seasons. Would be foolish for either one to leave. It's not like Konate and Diedhiou are 5-stars knocking down the door to take their playing time, though I have no doubt the Hole will have them turned into 5-stars by the time Midnight Madness arrives!

Don't foreign players often have some NCAA hoops they also have to jump through? Theirs is not the typical high school/AAU path U.S. kids take. Glad Pitino got them, but let's wait until we see when they can play before we start giving them minutes. Not positive, but Zahui B. had to sit half a season so Borton redshirted her for the entire year? I think she played in Sweden the whole time. These two have had more of a journey.

I wonder if Gaston or Konate will red shirt. It would seem that having four centers active next year may be excessive. Though it would be weird to go from points where we didn't have a center playing at all last year to having a two center lineup at times.

Hopefully Bakary and Joey have an effective summer/fall working with the strength coaches. Sounds like alot of his weaknesses stem from his weight. A solid 15 pounds would do him wonders!

Should be easy now that the ncaa has decided not to starve players anymore..

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

any real video on the kid besides the clip with one play and an hour long game tape?

I wonder if Gaston or Konate will red shirt. It would seem that having four centers active next year may be excessive. Though it would be weird to go from points where we didn't have a center playing at all last year to having a two center lineup at times.

No way we play with two centers at a time.

per Marcus:

As I pointed out previously, the 20-year-old three-star prospect from Mali created some buzz at the 2009 Nike International Junior Tournament in Berlin. He was only 16 at the time but performed well in an event that included Jonas Valanciunas, a Lithuanian center who was eventually picked fifth overall in the 2011 NBA Draft.

The Gophers now could have one of the most athletic young frontcourts in the Big Ten when they sign both 6-9 Senegal native Gaston Diedhiou and Konate, to go along with 6-9 power forward Josh Martin from Seattle.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...ifth-commitment-with-6-11-post-bakary-konate/

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Konate's coach said he still is waiting for his ACT score back but seems confident he'll get what he needs. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23gophers&src=hash">#gophers</a></p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/459071204947939328">April 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Not sure if you are joking.

Only if you consider Gaston a center while he helps out at PF. Walker, EE, and Konate will not be playing together. Or were you one of the ones thinking Mo should be playing some 4 this season?

Don't remember who, but some posters where dead set on Gaston was a center... I'd bet Gaston and Konate will see the floor together in a couple years. And if Konate is an extreamly athletic big man he might be on the court with Mo and/or EE some next year (if he doesn't redshirt).

Lots of combinations of guys can work (not all are ideal), but we had King and Oto as our PF and Center for a good chunk of time vs athletic and long Florida State and they did a remarkable job considering.

Don't remember who, but some posters where dead set on Gaston was a center... I'd bet Gaston and Konate will see the floor together in a couple years. And if Konate is an extreamly athletic big man he might be on the court with Mo and/or EE some next year (if he doesn't redshirt).

Lots of combinations of guys can work (not all are ideal), but we had King and Oto as our PF and Center for a good chunk of time vs athletic and long Florida State and they did a remarkable job considering.

We played King and Oto together purely out of necessity due to numbers. When you have an experienced PF next year (King) and another PF who fits the position well (Martin) along with Buggs who played there last season, it makes no sense to force yourself to play a center there out of position. Barring injuries and significant foul trouble, we will be playing our PFs at PF and our centers at center. Only common sense. People who disagree are the same people who thought Mo would/should have played PF last season. Those people don't know what's going on.

Konate’s Sunrise Christian Prep coach, Luke Barnwell, offered his take to SNY.tv on what Konate will bring to the Golden Gophers next season.

“He’s a legit 6’11 guy,” he said. “He’s very long, a defensive presence at the rim and a pretty good shot blocker. He moves pretty well and gets up and down the floor. He’s fairly skilled and can make perimeter shots for a big guy. He will be a defensive presence right away at Minnesota, but offensively, he may need to develop a little bit more.”

Barnwell also mentioned that Konate had schools like Oklahoma, Tulane and Texas A&M after him, as well as a few others, but “none were recruiting him as hard as Minnesota was.”

“We’re super excited for him and the opportunity he has,” Barnwell said. “His ability is his ability. We’re going to miss him. He’s a joy to be around every day. We’re proud that he’s going to be representing our school in the future at the University of Minnesota.”

http://zagsblog.com/articles/bakary-konate-commits-to-minnesota-darrick-wood-commits-to-depaul/

Some of you guys need to chill in regards to players' positions. Most players aren't locked into a single position. Not every team starts a PG, SG, SF, PF, and C. Pitino will find find the best lineups for what he wants to do.

Alright, now I need to finally learn how to pronounce his name.

BOCK-ar-ay Ko-NOT-tay?

Pretty close. I read an interview with his coach sometime ago where he pronounced it and it was spelled phonetically. I believe the ending of the last name was pronounced more like "tea" than "tay" and I believe the first part of the first name was more like "back" than "bock."

Some of you guys need to chill in regards to players' positions. Most players aren't locked into a single position. Not every team starts a PG, SG, SF, PF, and C. Pitino will find find the best lineups for what he wants to do.

Understood, but given the way we play, it's completely nonsensical (in my opinion) to say we will play with two centers at a time. If say, for example, Pitino decides he wants Konate to play purely the 4 with EE or Mo at the 5, then to me that means Pitino decided Konate is a 4, thus meaning we are not playing with two centers at a time. Same goes for Gaston. If they are actually centers though (like Mo and EE are), there is no way we play two of them together unless Pitino wants to completely change the way he plays.

EDIT: I think some people get really excited about the idea of being really big and completely ignore everything else. I guess I find that annoying. I'll try to respond less to that topic.

We played King and Oto together purely out of necessity

Yes & the sky did not fall. It's not that black and white.

What kind of a meltdown would have GHer's had pregame if they knew Oto and King would cover those positions for 5-10 minutes together? It would have been pandemonium.

Yes & the sky did not fall. It's not that black and white.

Not following your logic. I don't think the sky would fall if you started McNeil at SG and made Andre the backup 3, but it would be stupid and won't happen. What's your point and what does it have to do with what we were talking about?

Let's get him on the "Reverse Mo" program, ASAP.

Not following your logic. I don't think the sky would fall if you started McNeil at SG and made Andre the backup 3, but it would be stupid and won't happen. What's your point and what does it have to do with what we were talking about?

McNeil, Andre and Mathau did play on the floor at the same time.

It's people like you get to worked up about positions and what will happen if we play player x & y together. Over a season you will see different mixes of players on the court together... sometime it's just basketball. A combination of players that is a weakness on one side of the court can be a strength on the other.

Playing Oto and King together as 4 & 5 would be "stupid and wouldn't happen" but it did happen and it turned out fine for a limited stretch.

Buggs is a SF. King is a stretch 4, would be better at the 3. Mo and EE can never be on the court at the same time. -Idiot chatter.

Pretty close. I read an interview with his coach sometime ago where he pronounced it and it was spelled phonetically. I believe the ending of the last name was pronounced more like "tea" than "tay" and I believe the first part of the first name was more like "back" than "bock."

I can already hear Sid " Ah,that kid that used to ah,work in a Bakery is ah,really tall."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Konate's coach said he still is waiting for his ACT score back but seems confident he'll get what he needs. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23gophers&src=hash">#gophers</a></p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/459071204947939328">April 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

My son took ACT on the same day and has his score back now. It should be available.

My son took ACT on the same day and has his score back now. It should be available.

I may be getting the wrong impression, but from this tweet, sounds like he did get it back and didn't get a good enough score, and if I remember right, everyone scores were posted online at the same time

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Bakary Konate will take the SAT in May and if he gets the score he needs, then he should be good to go. Looks to have huge upside. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/459088023037026304">April 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

As I've said before, there are still plenty of students who haven't gotten their results back. Konate is one of them.

McNeil, Andre and Mathau did play on the floor at the same time.

I didn't say playing them together would be stupid, I said starting McNeil over Andre would be.

Playing Oto and King together as 4 & 5 would be "stupid and wouldn't happen" but it did happen and it turned out fine for a limited stretch..
Who are you quoting? I never said that. It also doesn't prove you right about playing two centers together. Oto and King played together because of injuries and fouls (which if you look at my previous posts, I clearly said barring injuires and significant foul trouble). It happened purely out of necessity. We didn't have a choice. That is much less likely to happen next year since we will have more depth.

Buggs is a SF. King is a stretch 4, would be better at the 3.

You probably aren't quoting me here, but to be clear, I never said either of these things.

Mo and EE can never be on the court at the same time. -Idiot chatter.
Why are you calling Pitino an idiot? You do realize he has said this, right? People who thought those two would play together are clueless and were proven wrong.

Top Bottom