ESPN's Connelly bumps MN into top 25 with revised SP plus

swingman

Reaction score
Bill Connelly went through rosters and factored in transfers, seniors opting in for extra year, changed some weights to reflect differences in Covid games, and some other tweaks...

Gophs end up at #24 in nation on his respected ESPN ranking. Gophs offense at #14, defense at #50.

Ohio State at 4, WI 6, IA 16.

IN 28, NE 32, MD 38, PU 52, CO 69, NW 76, IL 81, Miami 101, BG 126 - 130 total.

if hype on Nubin, T-Time, Gibbens, Oliver, Pinckney, Martin and special teams is correct, I expect better than a top 50 defense

Bill Connelly went through rosters and factored in transfers, seniors opting in for extra year, changed some weights to reflect differences in Covid games, and some other tweaks...

Gophs end up at #24 in nation on his respected ESPN ranking. Gophs offense at #14, defense at #50.

Don’t look now but conventional wisdom is dropping Indiana since they don’t return much and didn’t beat anyone last year

if hype on Nubin, T-Time, Gibbens, Oliver, Pinckney, Martin and special teams is correct, I expect better than a top 50 defense
If the Gopher offense finishes in the top 20 I think they will have had a very, very good season.

In 2019 the Gophers were 21st in scoring offense, in 2020 they were 71st. I’m hoping the O is In the top 35.

2019 scoring Defense 35th, 2020 70th.

Who’d a thunk that? Scoring D ranked higher than scoring O last year. Yet everyone was saying how much worse the D was, when really the O dropped 50 places vs the D only 35 places.

Source: ESPN College Football Stats.

Last edited:

SP plus?

I'm waiting for the

Super SP Plus Ultimate Edition

If the Gopher offense finishes in the top 20 I think they will have had a very, very good season.

In 2019 the Gophers were 21st in scoring offense, in 2020 they were 71st. I’m hoping the O is In the top 35.
2019 Connelly end of year had Gophs at 13, with offense at 7 and defense at 26
2020 Connelly end of year had Gophs at 34, with offense at 18 and defense at 64

2019 scoring Defense 35th, 2020 70th.

Who’d a thunk that? Scoring D ranked higher than scoring O last year. Yet everyone was saying how much worse the D was, when really the O dropped 50 places vs the D only 35 places.

Source: ESPN College Football Stats.
When the defense allows unlimited first downs, the offense doesn't see the field.

I was simply looking at scoring Offense and scoring defense, but I see your point. I was mixing Connelly with scoring D and scoring O.

Let’s hope the O is back to top 15 this year and D is back to top 30. I think D will be higher than 50, I hope O is top 15.

When the defense allows unlimited first downs, the offense doesn't see the field.
Against Maryland last year all the O needed to do was get a few first downs in the 4th quarter. They did nothing. The supposed strength of the team couldn’t muster a thing the whole 4th quarter. Couldn’t close out the game.

Then against Wisconsin just score more than 17 points.

5-2 if those things happen. Everyone knew the D would struggle, losing what they did. The O brought pretty much everybody back.

Do you know what Connelly’s preseason rankings for Gophs were for 2019 and 2020?

Against Maryland last year all the O needed to do was get a few first downs in the 4th quarter. They did nothing. The supposed strength of the team couldn’t muster a thing the whole 4th quarter. Couldn’t close out the game.

Then against Wisconsin just score more than 17 points.

5-2 if those things happen. Everyone knew the D would struggle, losing what they did. The O brought pretty much everybody back.
I agree with your points but don't believe they diminish my point. Our offense was offensively conservative last year, which compounded the issue of a defense that couldn't get off the field. Offensive opportunities were lost from a defense that couldn't get a stop and squandered by ultra conservative game plans that refused to acknowledge the status of our underperforming defense.

It seems to me Connelly is the best in the business when it comes to this. Would you agree?

I agree with your points but don't believe they diminish my point. Our offense was offensively conservative last year, which compounded the issue of a defense that couldn't get off the field. Offensive opportunities were lost from a defense that couldn't get a stop and squandered by ultra conservative game plans that refused to acknowledge the status of our underperforming defense.
I agree with everything you just said. I was more upset with the Offense though because of my expectations. I hope Sanford has the offense back near 2019 levels because I really enjoyed watching Ciarocca’s offenses.

The Gophers can only go in one direction. Up

If the Offense can dominate the TOP and the Defense stay fresh with their depth, it will be a very long day for opponents.

Do you know what Gophs were ranked in TOP last year?

I agree with everything you just said. I was more upset with the Offense though because of my expectations. I hope Sanford has the offense back near 2019 levels because I really enjoyed watching Ciarocca’s offenses.
Did you enjoy the shutouts in 2017 and 2018?

OK, Do you know what Gophs were ranked in TOP last year?
Probably pretty high based on the style we play and the style teams we played against

do you know what the gophers were ranked in offensive possessions per game last year?

Don’t look now but conventional wisdom is dropping Indiana since they don’t return much and didn’t beat anyone last year
Connelly hasn't been high on them this off season. They were an extremely lucky team last year as evidenced by beating Penn State and by having 20 takeaways in an 8 game season -- probably not sustainable in the long run.

I seem to recall they played Ohio State tougher than anyone in the conference. :unsure:
Meh. OSU had a huge lead and then gave up 2 scores late after the game was pretty much over. Score looked closer than the game actually was.

Meh. OSU had a huge lead and then gave up 2 scores late after the game was pretty much over. Score looked closer than the game actually was.
Disagree with this summary.

ynBMmgc.png

Disagree with this summary.

ynBMmgc.png
Having watched the game, it never felt like it was in doubt. Certainly IU deserves credit for playing tough until the end, but OSU was in control almost the whole way.

Having watched the game, it never felt like it was in doubt. Certainly IU deserves credit for playing tough until the end, but OSU was in control almost the whole way.
I'm not denying that OSU won the game, by any means. Fine with OSU being in control for a good part of the game.

But bringing the lead down to 7 with over 10mins left in the game, when you've scored 4 of the last 5 TDs in the game, seems like they were very much in it, to me.

Top Bottom