ESPN: Spring breakout player: Minnesota Golden Gophers (DE Hank Ekpe)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Ekpe's brother, Scott Ekpe, has been more of a known quantity on the Gophers' defensive line, as Hank has only been seen in flashes. The junior has started one career game, and a battle with severe headaches rendered him nearly useless down the stretch last season.

This spring, after fixing his headache woes, Hank Ekpe was almost unblockable at times. He was credited with two sacks in the Gophers' spring game, although defensive players weren't able to hit the quarterback. And he drew high praise from head coach Jerry Kill, who compared Ekpe to the star defensive ends at Missouri last season, Shane Ray and Markus Golden.

"He's all of a sudden matured," Kill said. "He's had a great offseason, and he can flat get off the ball.

"Right now, he just needs to keep doing what he's doing, and he's going to have a heck of a year."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/118384/spring-breakout-player-minnesota-3

Go Gophers!!

Really looking forward to seeing an improved pass rush this year. Hopefully both Ekpe and Cockran take a step forward.

Really looking forward to seeing an improved pass rush this year. Hopefully both Ekpe and Cockran take a step forward.

That would be huge. It would make our secondary look even better.

this defense has the potential to be the best in recent history with the gophers.

but what will make this even better is that I believe we have a chance to score every time we hav3 the ball. People may laugh but with a kicker like santose you really dont have to go far to end up with 3 points at least. and with the steady dose of running and any type of improved passing this could be the most complete FB team the gophers have had since before I was borne (60's)

this defense has the potential to be the best in recent history with the gophers.

but what will make this even better is that I believe we have a chance to score every time we hav3 the ball. People may laugh but with a kicker like santose you really dont have to go far to end up with 3 points at least. and with the steady dose of running and any type of improved passing this could be the most complete FB team the gophers have had since before I was borne (60's)

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If Santoso can keep teams below the 30 yardline on kick returns we should just go ahead and elect to kick at every game. 4 and out, decent punt and decent return nets out to 35 yard punt on average, we start with the ball at the 40. Leidner and company just need to muster a 30 yard drive to get some points. Piece of CAKE!

POLLY ANNA

I'm also giddy thinking about the potential of our defense in 2015, but we still have to prove we can stop the run consistently. Missouri and Purdue (surprisingly) found some weak spots in Claeys' scheme. If we CAN stop the run and put teams in 2nd/3rd and long we will be very tough to beat.

I'm also giddy thinking about the potential of our defense in 2015, but we still have to prove we can stop the run consistently. Missouri and Purdue (surprisingly) found some weak spots in Claeys' scheme. If we CAN stop the run and put teams in 2nd/3rd and long we will be very tough to beat.

So true.

In addition to improved DE play, I wouldn't be surprised if Steven Richardson becomes the sack leader this year.

Punt on 3rd down?

2015, our outstanding DBs improve, the good LBs improve, the average DL takes a giant step forward.

Could be best D in the B1G (a rather presumptive statement, but true none-the-less).

2015, our outstanding DBs improve, the good LBs improve, the average DL takes a giant step forward.

Could be best D in the B1G (a rather presumptive statement, but true none-the-less).

Love it! I am going with best in the West, however. OSU & MSU should probably always be considered better than us based on principle alone, but we'll see.

Top Bottom