ESPN: P.J. Fleck hoping to take 'Row the Boat' trademark to Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Will P.J. Fleck "Row the Boat" in Minnesota? He hopes so.

The Golden Gophers new coach, who popularized the phrase at Western Michigan, said he's working on getting the rights to the phrase and bringing it with him to his new job.

"We're working on it," Fleck said Wednesday while in attendance for the Bear Bryant Coach of the Year Award, for which Fleck was a finalist. "There's just some things to go through, and hopefully I'll have the opportunity to bring it with me."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...seek-row-boat-rights-minnesota-golden-gophers

Go Gophers!!

per ESPN:

Will P.J. Fleck "Row the Boat" in Minnesota? He hopes so.

The Golden Gophers new coach, who popularized the phrase at Western Michigan, said he's working on getting the rights to the phrase and bringing it with him to his new job.

"We're working on it," Fleck said Wednesday while in attendance for the Bear Bryant Coach of the Year Award, for which Fleck was a finalist. "There's just some things to go through, and hopefully I'll have the opportunity to bring it with me."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...seek-row-boat-rights-minnesota-golden-gophers

Go Gophers!!

How sad and embarrassing. next thing will be doing the "jump around" at the 3rd QTR break. Everyone knows the Vikings Skoll song, just change a few words and we can do that too.

How sad and embarrassing. next thing will be doing the "jump around" at the 3rd QTR break. Everyone knows the Vikings Skoll song, just change a few words and we can do that too.

Calm down Tracy.

I've been using Row The Boat at work all week, to not have it would be a letdown.

Yea I know, I get it. It just feels like we are wearing somebody else's underwear. I do know the young ones love and are in to it.

Totally, wearing other people's underwear is cool. Everybody knows!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If PJ is more than a one trick pony he should be able to come up with something unique and meaningful for his new job. Show a little creativity. RTB is yesterday somewhere else. Give me something fresh just for us.

If PJ is more than a one trick pony he should be able to come up with something unique and meaningful for his new job. Show a little creativity. RTB is yesterday somewhere else. Give me something fresh just for us.

I am going to guess you don't know the backstory of RTB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get it, but might he not do something with being "elite" or just re-emphasizing ski-u-mah? Personally, I would like to see something new, fresh, unique or different than seeing oars hanging in every structure in the TC area.

I get row the boat, but there are other ways to make the same point while bringing a freshness to it.

I get it, but might he not do something with being "elite" or just re-emphasizing ski-u-mah? Personally, I would like to see something new, fresh, unique or different than seeing oars hanging in every structure in the TC area.

I get row the boat, but there are other ways to make the same point while bringing a freshness to it.
He's coaching the wrong Minnesota football team if he wants a boat with oars.

Wrong guess and, despite his personal tragedy, I stand by my opinion. Is he going to be "rowing the boat" twenty years from now when he is coaching Notre Dame? He should be capable of coming up with more than one trite motivational slogan.

I really think RTB could bring some real changes to Minnesota Football. Perhaps we could start by replacing the cheerleaders with the women's rowing team. Let's not be tied to Minnesota tradition.

People wear underwear?

If done right:

fundies-underwear-built-for-two-2254.jpg

Borrowing from our glorious history...

"It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Row, Row but there is no rowing [yet]. The Fleck Era is actually begun! The next gales that sweep from the BIG East and B1G West will bring to our ears the clash of resounding pads! Our brethren are already in the training room! Why stand we here idle? What is it that Gophers wish? What would they have? Is football life so dear, or winning the B1G West so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of slogans and and not going to a bowl? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Rowing or give me death!"

...or something like that.

My apologies to the heirs of Patrick Henry.

To row or not to row is the least of our worries.

Can we repeat 9-4...or at least go to a bowl game next year?

To row or not to row is the least of our worries.

Can we go 9-4 or better for next year...or at least make it to a bowl?

Bowl sure.

9 wins will be harder than this year and too many question marks to be sure.

I agree with this. I have no problem with Fleck saying it, using it with the team, etc. But from a branding standpoint, it would be a mistake for the U to use it in its promotions. Coaches come and go. This is Fleck's brand.

I agree with this. I have no problem with Fleck saying it, using it with the team, etc. But from a branding standpoint, it would be a mistake for the U to use it in its promotions. Coaches come and go. This is Fleck's brand.

Mix it up with Ski U Mah (it seems like that is the plan) and it is fine.

It's not like the U has a brand that anyone knows anyway that will get eclipsed....

How about using the phrase "Paddle the canoe"? It seems much more culturally relevant for Minnesota.

Mix it up with Ski U Mah (it seems like that is the plan) and it is fine.

It's not like the U has a brand that anyone knows anyway that will get eclipsed....

So let's build a brand tied to the coach and start all over again when a new coach comes in.

So let's build a brand tied to the coach and start all over again when a new coach comes in.

Naw, mix it in with Ski U Mah...

Folks worried about branding when PJ leaves are like the guy moving out of the slum but is hesitating because the new mansion isn't quite the right color of off white he might like...

How about using the phrase "Paddle the canoe"? It seems much more culturally relevant for Minnesota.

No this won't work.
He's looking at the past while rowing.
You'd need to paddle backwards. That's not easy.

I really don't give a poop about catch phrases...motivation is temporary and fleeting. Determination and hard will get us far, but good coaching, good schemes and great players is what we need to win the Big Ten and compete for the Rose Bowl. So when we are recruiting in the top 20 each year and we are winning some rivalry games on a consistent basis and we have coaches at the top of their game...we have a chance. But it wont happen over night and it wont happen because of a catch phrase.

No this won't work.
He's looking at the past while rowing.
You'd need to paddle backwards. That's not easy.
If your looking backward, you never know where you're going.
Paddle the canoe, boys!!!

The University of Minnesota is NOT stinking Western Michigan...period.

Wrong guess and, despite his personal tragedy, I stand by my opinion. Is he going to be "rowing the boat" twenty years from now when he is coaching Notre Dame? He should be capable of coming up with more than one trite motivational slogan.

I doubt Fleck finds his motivational slogan trite based on his personal tradegy. Also doubt he thinks he needs to come up with another one just for "us".

The boat's hit the ice. Skate the rest of the way.

Top Bottom