ESPN: In letter, Pac-12's George Kliavkoff cites 'significant' financial, mental health concerns on UCLA move to Big Ten

You think people would rather spend time outside on a 30º day over an 80º day?
General people, no. People playing a football game, I suspect there are many that would rather play a game in 38 degree weather than 88 degrees (all other things being equal).

I have even heard some players state they would much rather play a game in temps approaching single digits than triple digits.

General people, no. People playing a football game, I suspect there are many that would rather play a game in 38 degree weather than 88 degrees (all other things being equal).

I have even heard some players state they would much rather play a game in temps approaching single digits than triple digits.

I'd be really curious to poll players on that. There's a reason why players who grow up in the south want to stay and play football in the south.

I'd be really curious to poll players on that. There's a reason why players who grow up in the south want to stay and play football in the south.
We'll most of their time isn't actually playing football, so they probably enjoy the warmer weather throughout the rest of their day-to-day life. Even practices are pretty much climate controlled I would venture to guess when necessary at virtually all D1 programs.

And one of football’s best aspects is that it is an all weather sport.

And one of football’s best aspects is that it is an all weather sport.
Yes.

Though as a spectator, attending the PAC 12 Championship (USC vs Utah) in a climate controlled dome was a welcome respite after enduring temps in the 10s in the battle for Floyd.

Yes.

Though as a spectator, attending the PAC 12 Championship (USC vs Utah) in a climate controlled dome was a welcome respite after enduring temps in the 10s in the battle for Floyd.
Variety is the spice of life.

University of California Board of Regents approved UCLA's move to the Big 10 by an 11-5 vote. UCLA will have to chip off $2M - $10M to Cal Berkeley.

Which was of course not a surprise to anyone not named Gophers_4Life.

Which was of course not a surprise to anyone not named Gophers_4Life.
Exactly. This was never in doubt from the very first announcement of the move. The only question was how much money they would have to give Cal and for how long.

UCLA is very competitive in basketball and seems to be improving in football.
USC is now a powerhouse in football.
Both schools are competitive in "non-revenue" sports which I believe are now called using the euphemism "Olympic sports".
Playing nine conference games with no divisions and increased competition has changed the landscape of football in the BIG. Coaches and programs will have to adapt.
How BB is affected remains to be seen.

This was never in doubt from the very first announcement of the move.
And that's why the regents voted unanimously to approve the move!

Oh wait .... back in the real world, if only 3 out of 16 votes were different it would have been tied 8-8 for/against.

And that's why the regents voted unanimously to approve the move!

Oh wait .... back in the real world, if only 3 out of 16 votes were different it would have been tied 8-8 for/against.
They never had the votes to stop. Everyone understood that save a select few. The vote was a formality.

Anyone who voted against UCLA moving would soon no longer have a career of importance equal to the one they have today. It would be that disastrous.

I doubt a single reagent honestly believed, for even a moment, that that going to war on the rest of the UC system was a fight that made sense. But it’s fun to pretend, right?

These nonsensical, political-grandstanding fake news stories just dominate our media nowadays. Journalist no longer dig for the facts. They take political talking points and dutifully edit and reprint them. That was 100% of what happened here.

UCLA is very competitive in basketball and seems to be improving in football.
USC is now a powerhouse in football.
Both schools are competitive in "non-revenue" sports which I believe are now called using the euphemism "Olympic sports".
Playing nine conference games with no divisions and increased competition has changed the landscape of football in the BIG. Coaches and programs will have to adapt.
How BB is affected remains to be seen.
Funny they start migrating to the B1G and the $$$$ and they quickly have competent College Coaches in place for the move.

Uh huh, sure they did. So brave to boldly declare it after the vote. :ROFLMAO:

How much money did you bet?
I didn’t see an opportunity to bet this anywhere, but had I placed a bet, I would have cleaned up. From day one, folks with knowledge of the sports circles and regent’s system said there was little to nothing that could be done to actually stop this move, no matter how much Newsome and others screamed about it.

There was little to nothing they could do to actually stop the move. They had no legal authority.

They only held a vote to do exactly that ... for the fun of it? No. There was a very real chance that the move was going to be blocked. The vote proves it.

Regardless, it's over. Cal will get $10M per year of UCLA's Big Ten check, and life will go on.

Top Bottom