ESPN: In letter, Pac-12's George Kliavkoff cites 'significant' financial, mental health concerns on UCLA move to Big Ten

So you don't want USC and UCLA to join the Big Ten?
He's not saying anything of the sort. He's just commenting on the ridiculousness of Kliavkoff's statement.

But I'm sure you probably drew offense from the "convoluted nonsense" phrase and felt slighted and so had to make an off-the-cuff comment. That's how these message boards work, ya know.

The bolded is just not correct.

It has already been confirmed by legal counsel that the UC Regents do indeed hold legal authority, according to state law and the UC bylaws, to block UCLA's move to the Big Ten, if they choose to do that.

The question is really if they would "dare" choose to do that.
You mean to tell me that the people who don't want the move to happen, who got together in a closed-door meeting, happened to come to the conclusion that they want?

Color me shocked.

(Did you really think they would get together secretively and then look at themselves and say, "aw shucks, we can't stop them"? This is one of those "meetings" where the outcome is pre-determined.)

I cannot wait until some of these west coast teams have to come to Minneapolis in November
Since you are the WeatherGuy, how many truly miserable weather games in which it was a factor have there been at the Bank in November? I can think of 3 Season finales/after Thanksgiving:

Iowa 2010,
Mich St 2012
Wisc 2019

That Mich St game was as uncomfortable as I have been at a home game. I was not prepared, the wind was howling, and the Gophers got run over by Le'Veon Bell.

Since it's doubtful that USC/UCLA would be playing up here the final week of the season, I can think of 2 others in which it was a factor but not really a huge detriment:

Oh St 2014
Pur 2018

The 1 game I could have seen being possibly an issue for a West Coast team, was Wisconsin in 2013. With so many teams (at least 16) just seems like it will be really rare for one of those teams to come into the Bank on a verified rotten day.

Could also have a day like the Illinois game last year in November, shorts weather. At least that took some of the sting off the upset.

If UCLA is blocked from joining it only hurts UCLA‘s budget and programs as future PAC-12 distributions plummet. USC is coming. The commissioner’s $ arguments are…questionable at best. The BIG TEN response would be a collective shoulder shrug. I think most of us would be fine with any of the non-UC west coast programs joining. Seattle or Palo Alto in November aren’t as pleasant as west LA but another shoulder shrug.

You mean like the above?

Or do you mean "convoluted nonsense from a left-coaster"?

I bet those are ok, amiright?
I didn't make that post, but it also teeters on turning this thread sideways. Yours was more an affront with the wingnut word. But alas, why did you feel the need to try and take a shot? Is it really that important to you to make sure people know you don't like conservatives? It's not like anyone's gonna take you seriously when you speak childishly anyways.

Since you are the WeatherGuy, how many truly miserable weather games in which it was a factor have there been at the Bank in November? I can think of 3 Season finales/after Thanksgiving:

Iowa 2010,
Mich St 2012
Wisc 2019

That Mich St game was as uncomfortable as I have been at a home game. I was not prepared, the wind was howling, and the Gophers got run over by Le'Veon Bell.

Since it's doubtful that USC/UCLA would be playing up here the final week of the season, I can think of 2 others in which it was a factor but not really a huge detriment:

Oh St 2014
Pur 2018

The 1 game I could have seen being possibly an issue for a West Coast team, was Wisconsin in 2013. With so many teams (at least 16) just seems like it will be really rare for one of those teams to come into the Bank on a verified rotten day.

Could also have a day like the Illinois game last year in November, shorts weather. At least that took some of the sting off the upset.

It's more so the cold temperatures and style of football that I think would give us a big advantage over those teams later in the year than say rain or snow.

The average high/low in LA in November is 73/53, in Minneapolis it's 42/27. So our average high is 11 degrees colder than their average low. Plus we've seen plenty of games played in the 20s/30s.

Good luck to them trying to play more finesse football when coming north to play power football teams with massive offensive lines and great defenses in those temperatures.

This is like writing your EXs parents to tell them their daughter’s new boyfriend isn’t good enough for her.

(analogy stolen from elsewhere)
Not quite, since it was the Regents who asked for the letter. It's more like your ex's parents asking you to opine on her new boyfriend. Still weird, but in a slightly different way.

It has already been confirmed by legal counsel that the UC Regents do indeed hold legal authority, according to state law and the UC bylaws, to block UCLA's move to the Big Ten, if they choose to do that.

The question is really if they would "dare" choose to do that.
It would be the absolute best. We could get USC without having to take UCLA.
Likely replace UCLA with Washington, Colorado, or Oregon…all of whom I personally would prefer to watch.

How did they make the stadium so flat? That's the problem. No one can see over the person in front of them.
I was going to make a similar comment. If you're near the top seats you are so far from the field. Better bring some binoculars.

How did they make the stadium so flat? That's the problem. No one can see over the person in front of them.
I was going to make a similar comment. If you're near the top seats you are so far from the field. Better bring some binoculars.
I have been to 4 UCLA games and a boxing match at the Rose Bowl. Never had a problem with the view, even near the top/corners, even when it's full. I am average height, at best.

Great place to see a game. My only issue is traffic nightmare getting out of the place.

It's more so the cold temperatures and style of football that I think would give us a big advantage over those teams later in the year than say rain or snow.

The average high/low in LA in November is 73/53, in Minneapolis it's 42/27. So our average high is 11 degrees colder than their average low. Plus we've seen plenty of games played in the 20s/30s.

Good luck to them trying to play more finesse football when coming north to play power football teams with massive offensive lines and great defenses in those temperatures.
Those temps would not really impact finesse football at all, IMO. Wind, snow and rain would.

Those temps would not really impact finesse football at all, IMO. Wind, snow and rain would.

I agree on the wind, and October/November are the 3rd and 4th windiest months in Minnesota.

Disagree on the cold. Everything hurts more when it's cold, especially when you're not used to it.

I agree on the wind, and October/November are the 3rd and 4th windiest months in Minnesota.

Disagree on the cold. Everything hurts more when it's cold, especially when you're not used to it.
I agree that when it's cold everything hurts more. I just don't think typical temps in the November (30s/low 40s) is "cold". Even for teams coming in from So California.

Low 20s and 10s, sure.

I have been to 4 UCLA games and a boxing match at the Rose Bowl. Never had a problem with the view, even near the top/corners, even when it's full. I am average height, at best.

Great place to see a game. My only issue is traffic nightmare getting out of the place.
Don't look now. Troy Aikman wants a new stadium, maybe to keep Big Ten fans out.

1663950799915.png

I’m not going to say your wrong, but I don’t think this is a slam dunk that the regents can stop this. Sure, an attorney that represents the regents claims they have the power to do so, but I’ve read other articles that were linked from Cal and UCLA forums which reference other attorneys and school sources which say the regents don’t have much ground to stand on to stop this. If the regents have the stomach to challenge this, a court will ultimately decide who has the most standing.

One thing I do find interesting, and I’m not saying it’s a fact, is that I keep reading that if UCLA does leave without Cal, that UCLA may be forced to give some of the money earned from the Big10 to Cal to limit the financial damage they suffer from UCLA leaving the PAC-12. Seems ludicrous to me but every time I’ve read that, I see nothing from anyone disputing that the regents could actually take that step. Such a move though would seem to fit right in with the state of California. Now I don’t know what percentage of dollars they could/would be forced to give Cal, but if it’s as much as half, then why would this move to the Big10 be worth it to UCLA, given the increased costs that are going to come with joining the Big10? It’s probably all destined for court.

I wouldn’t be broken up if UCLA didn’t come. I think I’d rather have Utah, Oregon or Washington.

I wouldn’t be broken up if UCLA didn’t come. I think I’d rather have Utah, Oregon or Washington.
Yeah, I get the initial idea of locking up the LA market by getting both teams, but if UCLA were to remain in the PAC 10, USC would get sooooo far ahead of them that most of the LA market would be watching B1G games anyways. So, to me, most of LA + Utah/Oregon/Washington > all of LA.

I agree that when it's cold everything hurts more. I just don't think typical temps in the November (30s/low 40s) is "cold". Even for teams coming in from So California.

Low 20s and 10s, sure.

It's not that cold if you're somewhat used to it. But LA's daily mean for the entire year is 66º. When you're used to near perfect weather everyday, abruptly shaving 30º- 40º off of it is a huge difference.

"UCLA currently spends approximately 8.1 million per year on travel for its teams to compete in the Pac-12 conference," Kliavkoff said. "UCLA will incur a 100% increase in its team travel costs if it flies commercial in the Big Ten (8.1 million increase per year), a 160% increase if it charters half the time ($13.1 million per year), and a 290% percent increase if it charters every flight ($23 million increase per year)."

Beyond the financial component of the added travel, Kliavkoff said "published media research by the National Institutes of Health, studies conducted by the NCAA, and discussions with our own student-athlete leaders," will have a negative impact on student-athletes mental health and take away from their academic pursuits. He added that it would also be a burden for family and alumni to face cross-country trips to see UCLA's teams play.

It costs virtually the same to fly anywhere. Yes, added fuel charges. Not significant. Added BTN revenue dwarfs that.

4 or 5 road games with maybe 2 extra FT hours at the most. Two ways, that's 20 hours a year. Who can tolerate that?

It's not that cold if you're somewhat used to it. But LA's daily mean for the entire year is 66º. When you're used to near perfect weather everyday, abruptly shaving 30º- 40º off of it is a huge difference.
They potentially have to deal with it already in Boulder, Salt Lake City, Seattle, Pullman and even potentially in Eugene or Corvallis.

No biggie, IMO. Heck, even the Bay Area can be chilly in November.

It costs virtually the same to fly anywhere. Yes, added fuel charges. Not significant. Added BTN revenue dwarfs that.

4 or 5 road games with maybe 2 extra FT hours at the most. Two ways, that's 20 hours a year. Who can tolerate that?
That's football only. Double the number of road trips for all the other sports.

Top Bottom