ESPN: Former Gopher football player and legendary WWE wrestler Ric 'The Nature Boy' Flair to step in ring one final time in July, according to sources

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

"The Nature Boy" will make the walk one final time.

Ric Flair, one of the most well-known and revered professional wrestlers in history, will perform in one last match July 31, sources told ESPN on Monday. Flair, 73, will step into the ring at the Nashville Fairgrounds on an independent card that will stream live on FITE TV.

Flair, a two-time WWE Hall of Famer and 16-time world champion, has not wrestled in a match since Sept. 12, 2011, a bout for Impact Wrestling against longtime rival Sting. His last WWE match was in 2008 at WrestleMania XXIV against Shawn Michaels. Flair's opponent for July 31 remains unclear. It's also unknown whether it will be a singles or tag team match.
"I'm going to walk that aisle one last time to prove once and for all that to be the Man, you've got to beat the Man," Flair said in a statement to ESPN.

Flair's final match will take place the day after WWE SummerSlam, which also is in Nashville. The event will take place immediately after the Starrcast V wrestling convention and expo at the Nashville Fairgrounds, which has hosted several historic pro-wrestling moments over the years.

Flair, known for his "Woo!" catchphrase and famous strut, has been posting videos on social media of him training with current AEW wrestler Jay Lethal. The legendary wrestler asked for his release from WWE in 2021 and received it. Flair was most known for his work in the NWA and WCW, which was WWE's biggest rival in the 1980s and 1990s. But he also performed in WWE for parts of two decades, as a wrestler and on-screen manager.

Go Gophers!!

Anyone else think this is overplayed at home games? Or am I turning into a grumpy old man?
Probably just about every sporting venue in America really. It's a nightly thing at VGK home hockey games as well, along with putting up Gwen Stefani telling everyone to yell "Woo-Hoo, Yee-Hoo"

I did not know that Ric Flair played football for the Gophers.

1st of all I doubt I live to 73, 2nd, for him to be able to get thrown around and do the throwing in that video is commendable. I was a wee pup when he was in his prime.

Gee, I wonder if he'll win in dramatic fashion?

When it comes to pro wrestling greats, it's Flair and Piper and the next closest is about three lightyears behind. Others were bigger or more athletic, but Flair and Piper understood what the whole circus was about.

Have no interest in fake wrestling. Never understood how and why people get into it. Makes absolutely no sense.

When it comes to pro wrestling greats, it's Flair and Piper and the next closest is about three lightyears behind. Others were bigger or more athletic, but Flair and Piper understood what the whole circus was about.
What about Hulk Hogan. I believe he was the most popular of the 80s and early 90s

What about Hulk Hogan. I believe he was the most popular of the 80s and early 90s
I probably should have been more precise in my assessment. Hogan was extremely popular, but he was a run-of-the-mill "Face" who wasn't that interesting. Flair and Piper always had angles that made their characters a more compelling watch. "Faces" need "Heels," and the "Heels" are what make the whole enterprise go. Yeah, it's all constructed, but in its heyday, it always provided a good laugh or six.

Pro wrestling has really fallen off in popularity with the rise of UFC. Pro wresting was always pretty much pre-ordained in its outcomes (although the behind-the-scenes stuff makes for some interesting banter). That said, it had a certain charm that UFC clearly lacks.

I probably should have been more precise in my assessment. Hogan was extremely popular, but he was a run-of-the-mill "Face" who wasn't that interesting. Flair and Piper always had angles that made their characters a more compelling watch. "Faces" need "Heels," and the "Heels" are what make the whole enterprise go. Yeah, it's all constructed, but in its heyday, it always provided a good laugh or six.

Pro wrestling has really fallen off in popularity with the rise of UFC. Pro wresting was always pretty much pre-ordained in its outcomes (although the behind-the-scenes stuff makes for some interesting banter). That said, it had a certain charm that UFC clearly lacks.
I also think turning it into more of a soap opera also hurt the numbers.

Hogan could perform for about 10 minutes max. Flair would go for 60 minutes a match, 6 nights week, for like 20 straight years, and make each minute compelling.

And then after every match drink a quart of whiskey, take a dozen painkillers, and sleep with the best looking gal in the Holiday Inn lounge. Every night

And then after every match drink a quart of whiskey, take a dozen painkillers, and sleep with the best looking gal in the Holiday Inn lounge. Every night
Can't blame the women. They all wanted a ride on Space Mountain.

Last edited:

If you're interested in how it went down:

Top Bottom