ESPN College Gameday predicted to come to Minnesota

If they come to any gopher game, I would think there would be other ones where they are more likely to attend.

This would be awesome!!!

Week 9: October 31, 2015
The Pick: Michigan vs. Minnesota (Minneapolis, Minnesota)

After a disappointing "off-year" going 5-7, the Michigan Wolverines turn to the leadership of new head coach Jim Harbaugh, who, in stints at Stanford and the San Francisco 49ers has pretty much won immediately wherever he has coached. The Wolverines benefit from a favorable 2015 schedule, skipping out on facing Wisconsin and Nebraska. The Minnesota Golden Gophers, on the other hand, look to continue the success of a respectable 8-win season, in which they were regularly ranked and featured a much-revered running back in David Cobb. If the Gophers remain healthy and prove that they could be the "real deal"—especially if they find a way to knock off TCU at home in the season opener on September 3rd—Minnesota should very well find itself hosting College Gameday for the first time in school history for its primetime battle with Michigan on Halloween night.

Go Gophers!!

If they come to any gopher game, I would think there would be other ones where they are more likely to attend.
Good storylines though for the national crowd if the Gophers are playing well up to that point. Harbaugh will be a major story regardless of how many wins they have, Jerry Kill is the polar opposite feel good coach story, it's a night game, and the Halloween games are always jacked, plus Jug.

It would be awesome.

But did a B1G writer make this list? 6 games featuring a B1G team, and only 3 featuring SEC teams? Never going to happen. ESECPN needs more SEC.

It's a USC site. And he predicts that Gameday will be in Fargo again on Oct 10th. :confused:

Why does North Dakota State get gameday every year?

I get that its a big time FCS School...... But its a big time FCS school....

The Gameday crew said this was there favorite stop in 2013. I have not gone to Gameday when they are here even though Its 3 miles away. Ill go when Gameday is at a Gophers game.

I'd rather poke a stick in my eye than stand behind an ESPN booth with thousands of other rubes holding some sign in the hopes of my ugly mug being on TV. No thanks - I'll stick to the normal tailgate.

They have made a FCS stop for a few years now one week during the season, nice way to showcase the lower division.

I'd rather poke a stick in my eye than stand behind an ESPN booth with thousands of other rubes holding some sign in the hopes of my ugly mug being on TV. No thanks - I'll stick to the normal tailgate.

Actually, if it's on Halloween, they will be wrapped up before the tailgate lots open.

Actually, if it's on Halloween, they will be wrapped up before the tailgate lots open.
Depending on where ESPN sets up, it might make sense for the U to allow a morning tailgate.

So why always North Dakota State?
It isn't always North Dakota State. Just once a year each of the past two years. They present an interesting story during the pre-conference schedule when there aren't as many compelling games. Plus their fans show up and the setting in downtown Fargo, rather than on campus, makes for good television.

The fact that they are 4 time defending champs might have something to do with it. Same reason Ohio State and Bama get a lot of Gamedays over the years.

App State won it three years in a row from 2005-2007 and never saw Gameday. I think the fact that NDSU has beat so many FBS teams (albeit almost entirely crappy ones) in the last decade is the biggest reason why they go there.

By that schedule, the B1G would host 5 of the 13 Gamedays plus one would be at a neutral site involving a B1G team. As opposed to 2 + 1 neutral for SEC, 3 for Pac12, 1 for big12, 1 for ACC, 1 for MVC. I would LOVE that to happen, but I don't see it. There's way too much love for SEC (especially since ESPN owns SEC network). "Coincedentally" they chose the SEC 6 times last year http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locations_of_College_GameDay_(football)

I'm certainly hoping they finally come, but knowing the U they will find a way to make it unattendable...

Everyone here is familiar with the end of the show where Corso puts on the mascot's headgear I assume. Watching him put on Goldy's head would be sweet but even if he picks us to win the game it still may not happen. I know someone in the Gopher athletic department who was a head coach of one of the cheerleading squads up until a few years ago. We were discussing the headgear segment and she said that the U would never allow anyone else to wear Goldy's headgear, including Lee Corso on Gameday. She was pretty emphatic about it too. Apparently the U takes the whole mascot thing very seriously, in fact this person I know would never even tell us who was under the Goldy costume. I'm hoping she was wrong but can you imagine how embarrassing that would be? They get to that segment, Corso predicts a Gopher victory and then says unfortunately we did not get permission to wear the mascot's headgear. Only the U could be that dumb.

App State won it three years in a row from 2005-2007 and never saw Gameday. I think the fact that NDSU has beat so many FBS teams (albeit almost entirely crappy ones) in the last decade is the biggest reason why they go there.
Is more of a recent thing, and looking at the past schedules, it's actually has only been two times in a row.

Visits to Non-FBS games
2002 Harvard at Penn
2005 Southern vs Grambling
2007 Ameherst at Williams
2008 Hampton at Florida A&M
2013 Delaware St at NDSU
2014 Incarnate Word at NDSU

Everyone here is familiar with the end of the show where Corso puts on the mascot's headgear I assume. Watching him put on Goldy's head would be sweet but even if he picks us to win the game it still may not happen. I know someone in the Gopher athletic department who was a head coach of one of the cheerleading squads up until a few years ago. We were discussing the headgear segment and she said that the U would never allow anyone else to wear Goldy's headgear, including Lee Corso on Gameday. She was pretty emphatic about it too. Apparently the U takes the whole mascot thing very seriously, in fact this person I know would never even tell us who was under the Goldy costume. I'm hoping she was wrong but can you imagine how embarrassing that would be? They get to that segment, Corso predicts a Gopher victory and then says unfortunately we did not get permission to wear the mascot's headgear. Only the U could be that dumb.
Moot point since Corso is off Gameday now.

Is more of a recent thing, and looking at the past schedules, it's actually has only been two times in a row.

Visits to Non-FBS games
2002 Harvard at Penn
2005 Southern vs Grambling
2007 Ameherst at Williams
2008 Hampton at Florida A&M
2013 Delaware St at NDSU
2014 Incarnate Word at NDSU

Thanks....

If the answer was, the winner of FCS gets a gameday I'm cool with it. But the idea that NDSU is a good story in a down time and that they turn out well all plays well for one time, not 3 years in a row. No team/matchup gets gameday every year like NDSU has the last 2 (if next year 3). True you can almost book OSU, Alabama, USC, Oregon to host one every year, but they've earned that.

Fowler left, not Corso. Though he will be 80 this fall, so it's only a matter of time.
Oops, my bad you're right. I thought I had read both left, but I think it was an article on who will succeed Coso when he leaves in the near future.

Depending on where ESPN sets up, it might make sense for the U to allow a morning tailgate.

Would have to be in front of Williams Arena wouldn't it. The Bank and/or The Barn for a backdrop.

Would have to be in front of Williams Arena wouldn't it. The Bank and/or The Barn for a backdrop.
I've thought it would be one of five places:
In front of the Barn, in front of Mariucci, south side plaza & lawn of TCF where the band does their plaza show (probably not big enough), lawn of the McNamara center (probably too many trees in the way), Northrop Mall/Plaza in front of Northrop.

I've thought it would be one of five places:
In front of the Barn, in front of Mariucci, south side plaza & lawn of TCF where the band does their plaza show (probably not big enough), lawn of the McNamara center (probably too many trees in the way), Northrop Mall/Plaza in front of Northrop.

I would rank them

1) Northrop (most amount of room)
2) Mariucci (a lot of room if they close Oak during the show)
3) Barn (less room because of BWW)
t4) the other 2 (lack of room for TCF Plaza & lack of view for the Mac)

I would rank them

1) Northrop (most amount of room)
2) Mariucci (a lot of room if they close Oak during the show)
3) Barn (less room because of BWW)
t4) the other 2 (lack of room for TCF Plaza & lack of view for the Mac)

Northrop Plaza, or maybe The Knoll if you want a darkhorse location. When GameDay has gone to Madison for a night game, they set up at the top of Bascomb Hill, nowhere near the Camp. Likewise, in Mordor their setup was over by the Old Iowa Capitol, nowhere near Kinnick.

Top Bottom