ESPN: Bo Pelini returning to LSU as defensive coordinator

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

LSU has hired Youngstown State coach Bo Pelini as defensive coordinator.

Pelini confirmed the move in a statement posted Monday to his Twitter account, saying the "opportunity to return to LSU is truly unique."

An official announcement on Pelini's hiring is expected later Monday.

Pelini, who served as LSU's defensive coordinator from 2005 to 2007 and helped the Tigers to a national championship in 2007, has coached Youngstown State for the past five seasons. Pelini, 52, replaces Dave Aranda, who served as LSU's defensive coordinator the past four seasons before leaving for the head-coaching job at Baylor. Aranda had been the highest-paid assistant in college football, earning $2.5 million annually.

Go Gophers!!

If he does well there, given he has varied experience as a head coach, lower division head coach, and top coordinator - I could see him as a strong candidate to take over a power 5 team.

I bet he could win 9 games on a regular basis if someone like Nebraska hired him.

If he does well there, given he has varied experience as a head coach, lower division head coach, and top coordinator - I could see him as a strong candidate to take over a power 5 team.

I bet he could win 9 games on a regular basis if someone like Nebraska hired him.

Great post! Love it!!

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, in his years at Nebraska he never finished worse then 9-4 and won 10 games 3 times. And that includes his first year there right up to his last. He also never missed a bowl game. But that wasn't good enough for the Nebraska people who are still delusional enough to think the glory days are coming back.

In the 5 seasons since they let him go....4 sub .500 seasons and have only been to 2 Bowl games. Their golden child head coach has yet to crack .500 in his 2 seasons at the school.

I am actually surprised he didn't end up with another Power 5 head coaching job. Won't shock me if he isn't at LSU long before he gets that next shot.

It will be interesting if Bo is still up to date as far as calling a defense at that position.

Lots of coaches kinda fade in terms of such things...

Yeah, in his years at Nebraska he never finished worse then 9-4 and won 10 games 3 times. And that includes his first year there right up to his last. He also never missed a bowl game. But that wasn't good enough for the Nebraska people who are still delusional enough to think the glory days are coming back.

In the 5 seasons since they let him go....4 sub .500 seasons and have only been to 2 Bowl games. Their golden child head coach has yet to crack .500 in his 2 seasons at the school.

I am actually surprised he didn't end up with another Power 5 head coaching job. Won't shock me if he isn't at LSU long before he gets that next shot.

He should have been able to get another P5 job.

But on the way out he talked shit about the AD to the players.

Now maybe he wasn't wrong about what he said... but to get a job you need to get hired by an AD... makes it hard.

I just hope he's on the sidelines and not in the booth and LSU defensive players screw up just enough to provide opportunities for some classic Pelini sideline a**-chewing.

I missed his frothing at the mouth sideline tirades.

I just followed him on Twitter because of this GH news......I need a good laugh this time of year. We all do.

He has this post pinned in Twitter but had never read it before today. Great advice for most people with some nice humor mixed in as well. Article is from the athletic but it is free.

He should have been able to get another P5 job.

But on the way out he talked shit about the AD to the players.

Now maybe he wasn't wrong about what he said... but to get a job you need to get hired by an AD... makes it hard.
It’s almost likely publicly humiliating your employer doesn’t make you as attractive as a candidate for future jobs of the same caliber

Old Bo is a ball coach, it's in his blood, turning boys into men.

It’s almost likely publicly humiliating your employer doesn’t make you as attractive as a candidate for future jobs of the same caliber
His employer humiliated itself by firing a coach, and then failing to match that coach's worst year (including year 0) in the next five years.

His employer humiliated itself by firing a coach, and then failing to match that coach's worst year (including year 0) in the next five years.
Maybe so, but since he used some choice words about his Ad in a public forum he hasn’t sniffed another power 5 head coaching job after putting up all those 9-10 win seasons.

There were multiple factors to his leaving NE.
One was his brother was the DC and got busted somewhere for using hard drugs, second was getting humiliated multiple times by WI, third he was a complete psycho on the sidelines not only berating players but in a full panic mode when things were not going well, fourth he made snide comments about the most wonderful, welcoming, loyal and knowledgeable fans in the known universe, finally he dissed the AD. St Tom was no longer there to protect him from himself.

Seriously? He would have been fired as head coach at YSU after 2019, and possibly even after 2018, if Tressel wasn’t resisting to firing a guy who he hired. He had an 18-22 record in MVC play.

A guy who did badly as an FCS head coach is not going to get a Power 5 head coaching job.

Maybe so, but since he used some choice words about his Ad in a public forum he hasn’t sniffed another power 5 head coaching job after putting up all those 9-10 win seasons.
Well, Nebby was paying him...

Well, Nebby was paying him...

Sometimes, fired coaches will voluntarily choose to stay unemployed and enjoy their buyout.

However, if they’re taking a new job, they’ll always select a Power 5 job or even a Group of 5 job over an FCS job. They want to take the most prestigious job available. It’s not just because of the salary.

It’s extremely obvious that Pelini hasn’t been offered an FBS head coaching job since being fired at Nebraska. And his poor performance at YSU harmed his chances of getting another FBS head job rather than helping it.

Nebraska had a good thing going and screwed it up, maybe permanently.

Top Bottom