ESPN: Best offensive triple threats: West Division (#6 Minn: Leidner, Cobb, Williams)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

6. Minnesota

QB Mitch Leidner, RB David Cobb, TE Maxx Williams

The skinny: Scoring in bunches wasn't exactly the Gophers' calling card last season. On the plus side, they do return a 1,200-yard back in Cobb, who will be joined by Donnell Kirkwood (926 yards in 2012) and incoming top recruit Jeff Jones to form a deep backfield. But the passing game was one of the least productive in the FBS last season and needs major steps forward from Leidner and young receivers like Drew Wolitarsky and Donovahn Jones.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/97869/best-offensive-triple-threats-west-division

Go Gophers!!

How about if Leidner improves as much as Mo Walker did this year?

The offense is probably still another year away from being in the top half of the conference. In the Kill era this team should have our best running season yet, but the passing game will still lag behind and limit our offensive potential. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

Based on last year's passing game we can only project at 6. I expect we will end up at 3 at the end of this season. In '15 we could be as good as any (#1).

More espn garbage; driving while looking in the rear view mirror article.

The gophers stunk on O last year, ergo they will stink this year.

Brilliant work, Brian.

Tommy Armstrong has done nothing at the college level, is the most important player on the team, yet gets a #1 rating. The RB and Bell have nothing to prove, but still.

NW at 3?

This could be a breakout year for our offense. Our backfield and line should be much improved. As for QB/WR, how many drops and missed open receivers were there? If we can clean up some of those fundamental issues, we could have a darn good offense (combination of more passing production and the better passing helping to open up the run even more). I know I have said this before, but with how good our ground game will be, we don't need to be world-beaters through the hair, we just need to pass well enough that the defense has to defend against the possibility that we might try to pass.

This could be a breakout year for our offense. Our backfield and line should be much improved. As for QB/WR, how many drops and missed open receivers were there? If we can clean up some of those fundamental issues, we could have a darn good offense (combination of more passing production and the better passing helping to open up the run even more). I know I have said this before, but with how good our ground game will be, we don't need to be world-beaters through the hair, we just need to pass well enough that the defense has to defend against the possibility that we might try to pass.

Freudian slip.

I'll miss you, Hair Jesus.

We still need receivers to improve twice that much. We still are way too young at WR.

I'm fairly happy with the recruiting this year with the exception of WR. Why couldn't we get a Juco transfer WR so we had some better experience at that position?

I'm fairly happy with the recruiting this year with the exception of WR. Why couldn't we get a Juco transfer WR so we had some better experience at that position?

I'm personally very excited about the receivers. As much if not more than any other position.

I'm personally very excited about the receivers. As much if not more than any other position.

They are young but have a year in the system, the weight room, and training table. "Chemistry" between the QB, WRs, TEs, and RBs is critical. Huge upgrade from last year there also. Do not fear the passing game. It will be hugely improved this year and even more next year. This O will be good. My biggest unknown is at C and the line play calling. Have to make great reads. Christenson seems to be pretty good at it.

Me too!!!

It is hard not to be excited with three legitimate tall and athletic receivers coming in this fall and two sophomore receivers who should be ready to contribute this fall. There are no guarantees but I like it.

it all starts up front and if the big goys take care of business all aspects will improve!

While the vast majority of OL are not MOTs, there were the Schwartz brothers at Cal (Mitchell) & Oregon (Geoff) and Gabe Carimi at Wisconsin.

More espn garbage; driving while looking in the rear view mirror article.

The gophers stunk on O last year, ergo they will stink this year.

Brilliant work, Brian.

Tommy Armstrong has done nothing at the college level, is the most important player on the team, yet gets a #1 rating. The RB and Bell have nothing to prove, but still.

NW at 3?

More laughable is having the Ill trio at 5 with a transfer QB who isn't a lock to be a starter and a WR who put up a poultry 246 receiving yards last year. Bennett talks up their OC as some kind of offensive genius. He needs to make this offense middle of the pack.

I think that Donovahn Jones is being overlooked. He didn't put up gaudy numbers by any means.....but he showed flashes of being a serious playmaker as a freshman with little game experience. Doesn't hurt that he caught damn near everything thrown his way.

More laughable is having the Ill trio at 5 with a transfer QB who isn't a lock to be a starter and a WR who put up a poultry 246 receiving yards last year. Bennett talks up their OC as some kind of offensive genius. He needs to make this offense middle of the pack.

What's the conversion ratio from poultry receiving yards to human receiving yards?

I am excited about the receiving core as well. They are young, but improved a lot during the end of the season and now have an entire offseason to work together. Add to that a few great TEs and pass catching RBs, should open up things for the WRs as well.

Well, not that hard.

I probably should have clarified that statement a little bit. It is the improvement in both our present receivers and the quality of our new recruits that I am excited about. Of course we have a ways to go. The good news is that Kill has shown many times when there is a problem he is going to solve it. This is true whether the problem is academics, punters, receivers, or whatever. I have no doubt that our receivers will be better next year and continue to get better after that. "Brick by Brick."

Top Bottom