Eric Decker

RaT

Reaction score
With all of the negative Nancy's on here posting about how horrible a coach Coach Brewster is, let me ask you this:

Why does he not get credit for developing Eric Decker? He had All-American potential the last two years before injuries derailed his seasons.

Anything that is good is a fluke. Anything that is bad is because of Brewster. Don't you read the papers?

Anything that is good is a fluke. Anything that is bad is because of Brewster. Don't you read the papers?

Schnoods...one doesn't have to read the papers, just follow the FB Forum on GH.

Not saying Brew didn't have anything to do with Decker developing, but I'm guessing Coach McDonald had more of a roll in that, being his positions coach 2 out of the last 3 years.

exellent point GL, let me restate.

If it's good its the position coaches, if its bad it's Brew since he's responsible for the position coaches. Whatever the case, under no circumstances can Coach Brew be given credit for anything positive that happens on the field.

Just so we're all clear on how this works.

I remember being very impressed by Decker in Brewster's first spring game, so I don't see it as Brewster took some crappy guy and made him into an AA. I also agree that the position coaches have a lot to do with development.

I agree that there is a bit of a double standard on Brew, from both sides.

I won't give him much credit for Decker, but I won't knock him much for Weber's performance either (just wish he would have given Gray more of a chance).

exellent point GL, let me restate.

If it's good its the position coaches, if its bad it's Brew since he's responsible for the position coaches. Whatever the case, under no circumstances can Coach Brew be given credit for anything positive that happens on the field.

Just so we're all clear on how this works.

You're quite a wag for such a troll.

There are plenty of players who improved and that would happen under just about any coach. Heck, Jim Wacker developed a few decent players. My opinion is that Brewster's ability to develop talent is an unknown (but I lean more towards he does a decent job). Guys like Kirksey, Edwards, and Cooper are Brew guys that look for real. Tow-Arnett went from an unknown to a decent Big 10 TE, and I might get blasted for saying this but Wills went from a terrible OT (begining of this season) to being a fairly good OT (I know, lots of people beg to differ).

In short, Brews players are developing, but they are just young. IMO, if we don't have a 10 win season somewhere along the line (before Cooper and Gray graduate), then there should be a big question mark as to whether or not he can develop.

its weird to think that a kid like decker wouldn't even get an offer to play for the gophs under Brewster's regime and that is a good thing.

A common refrain heard around these parts in defense of Brewster is that he inherited horrible talent. It should come as no surprise then that those less than enamored with Brewster would point out the exception that is Eric Decker. The double standard heretofore referred to runs both ways.

Why does he not get credit for developing Eric Decker? He had All-American potential the last two years before injuries derailed his seasons.

Decker was winning practice player of the week multiple times during his freshman season under coach Mason and playing so well that during practices that Mason actually considered pulling his redshirt half way through the season. I think Decker's success had more to do with his 6'3" 215 lbs body, his great hands and route running, and Weber's inability to locate anyone not named Eric Decker in 2008 than anything Tim Brewster ever said or did.

A common refrain heard around these parts in defense of Brewster is that he inherited horrible talent. It should come as no surprise then that those less than enamored with Brewster would point out the exception that is Eric Decker. The double standard heretofore referred to runs both ways.

I am not so sure if it is a double standard as much as it is reality. In football, the development/talent of one player is not nearly as important as the development of an entire team.

If you are a Brew hater, and you argue that he inherited a bunch of talent and point to Eric Decker as an example, well, it's nice, but it's a naive statement about college football.

However, if you are a Brew backer and you point out Brewster's ability to develop players by merely pointing out Decker, then that statement also is naive.

The fact is that the upper classmen of the past few seasons were not that good. Whether there lack of production is due to not being coached up or a lack of talent is nearly impossible to determine. However, if Brews batch of kids succeeds it would tend to appear like it was a lack of talent, if Brew's batch fail...well, it says quite a bit about the coach.

Decker was winning practice player of the week multiple times during his freshman season under coach Mason and playing so well that during practices that Mason actually considered pulling his redshirt half way through the season.

Also don't forget that Decker played as a redshirt freshman under Mason in 2006. Decker caught 26 passes for 378 yards with three touchdowns that year. He had two catches in the Insight Bowl vs. Texas Tech. He also threw a couple of passes that year. He was behind Wheelwright and Payne and still made an impact. In short, he looked pretty good as a redshirt freshman with Mason as his coach and there was a general belief amongst those around the program that he was going to be really good no matter who the coach was going to be.

its weird to think that a kid like decker wouldn't even get an offer to play for the gophs under Brewster's regime and that is a good thing.

:rolleyes:
He almost didn't under Mason either, he was almost a Johnnie, Hypothetically, had he attended a summer camp and contacted the coaching staff I'd be suprised if they didn't see the potential and offer him.
See example A : Nick Rengel, an outstate kid mostly unrecruited, goes to summer camp, lights it up and gets an early offer.

How is that a good thing? It's better to sign David Pittman than take a chance on a decent Minnesota prospect? There are other "diamonds in the rough" out there that could help Minnesota. Check out Wisconsin 2 deeps on the OL, 4 of 5 starters from Wisconsin, 8 of top 10 from Wisconsin, those dudes ran one play on us up and down the field in the second half.

:rolleyes:
He almost didn't under Mason either, he was almost a Johnnie, Hypothetically, had he attended a summer camp and contacted the coaching staff I'd be suprised if they didn't see the potential and offer him.
See example A : Nick Rengel, an outstate kid mostly unrecruited, goes to summer camp, lights it up and gets an early offer.

You shouldn't have to go to summer camp to get "noticed", Nick had two other offers on the table (W. Michigan and Central Florida) , that's when Minnesota finally showed interest.

You shouldn't have to go to summer camp to get "noticed", Nick had two other offers on the table (W. Michigan and Central Florida) , that's when Minnesota finally showed interest.

I don't have any inside info on the situation, maybe he was invited to summer camp, maybe he showed up out of now where, but its not Brewster's style to leave stones unturned recruitingwise.
Nevertheless, Both Minnesota natives Decker and Rengel were unheralded and both received scholarships when their talents were put on display. My comment was simply that Brew_Recruit is assuming too much.

Talent is talent, an astute observation on the wisky OL depth chart, the midwest does have plenty of quality big men, our depth chart is also full of Minnesotans, and will be for several years.
Tow Arnett, Davis, Orton, Wynn, Bunders, Carufel, Olson, Campion, Gjere, T. Olson all figure into our Oline future.

The Pittman example is a poor one, he was a JUCO expected to play a role right away, was injured badly and never recovered. A Minnesota "hidden gem" in 08 would probably RS and emerge as an upperclassman in 2010 or 2011, apples to oranges.
That said, we all love our local kids who stay home and play at the U.
Decker is a great story and a tribute to many untapped and unheralded kids who play Minnesota HS football. Here's to hoping for more great natives contributing to Gopher football in the future.
:drink:

what i'm saying is that there shouldn't be to many more kids in the future decideing between the U and a dIII school.

speaking of Decker, is he going to be playing tomorrow?

No, unfortunately for Gopher and College football fans. Unfortunately for Mr. Decker, he may not even be able to particpate in the NFL Combines.

He's getting a degree from the "U" and I hope he gets a lot of cash from the NFL!:)

Damn, I remember when he got injured they said he might be able to make it back for a potential bowl game. Looks like that won't happen :( Such a disappointment from such a worthless play

As I've always said, Minnesota is a walk on gold mine. If we could only sell the message better we could have a great walk on program.

Top Bottom