Eric Curry

I probably need to have a knee surgery soon (self diagnosed meniscus tear), but I really do not understand knee surgery anymore like I once thought I did, post MCL strains and MRIs years ago.

Most young players seem to bounce back to pre-injury form after an ACL surgery, going back to far back beyond the Robert Smith era, even though some probably recall people from the earlier days with big visible scars and a barely functioning knee from 1980s techniques.

It is pretty rare for a high profile player to blow out a knee or two and completely lose his skills. Obviously it happens, and Eric C seems to be an example of this, as his lift and quickness seemed to be completely gone last year.

Any thoughts on whether these limitations might pass for someone under 30, if given more time to recover? Does one more year change things for the better?

Could Curry possibly be 80 percent of what he was at some point? Maybe his doctors know the answer, but it does seem rare in today's world for knee injuries to destroy a young player like has happened to Curry.
I’ve had 6 knee surgeries. I’ve torn my ACL and all 4 meniscus—most of them twice. I rehabbed super hard originally as I was still actively playing sports but the knee is never the same. You’re more sore, you lose some bounce, lose that first step. I can’t remember his original injury but I think it was the unhappy triad. There is a reason it has that name. Then to hurt it again so soon? Just never regained the athleticism. It is rare but so we’re his exact injuries

First off Curry seems like a GREAT kid, one you definitely want in and around your program. On a personal level I'm very happy for him.

But if I'm being honest, I see this as a failure. Curry is clearly not anything close to what his fr year showed and medically retired. Now months into Johnsons first year, we are whiffing so bad on every target that we essentially need to talk Curry out of quitting because our post spot is so bleak? Again, we seem to be taking every fall back option. Outside of Battle who was a super high priority that we beat anyone of note for? I kept hearing "just wait for July 7th" we will pick up all kinds of guys! So far we picked up 1 who was ready to never play CBB again. #underwhelemed

Major failure.....to get an experienced guy and another large body who won't even count against the scholarship total. I'm racking my brain to figure out why we'd be better off without him.....and can only come up with one thing....jump off the bridge already.

I’m not sure you can call it a rebuild or even year zero? We could be looking for 8 to 12 new guys following this coming season all over again.
And just because you are 7 feet tall doesn’t automatically make you a center.

If you are a recruit who has offers from established programs, why would you believe 8,9 guys will follow you and you’ll compete for titles as a Gopher?

Happy for Eric but it’s a November announcement. In July it cries desperate.
This is a total build. Nothing was built.

It’s literally no cost to us. He doesn’t cost us on scholarship count as it’s free due to covid. Hes a smart and high character guy who was going to be a grad assistant and be around anyways. This doesn’t need to sway the needle forward much for anyone, but it really should be impossible to sway it the other way. It’s not like he is going to detour someone else from signing here if they wanted too. Really a no lose deal here

The goobers don't care that this is in no way a negative. But some still see this as a "major failure". What?

Been interesting to read the takes in this thread. Really don't see this as a big deal either way. Next season is going to be a mess, if Curry wants to suit up and play one more year than good for him.

Hopefully he can remain healthy and get in one more decent year before starting his coaching career.

The Johnson apologists are crazy if they think this is just about Eric. No way he tries to come back if we have a couple of transfer bigs ready to carry the load. Does no one remember Eric’s frustrated expression every time an opponent blew by him or easily out jumped him for a rebound last year? The guy can’t play anymore, and his retirement was a given. The grad assistant position was a nice way for him to stay involved with the team. I just pray he doesn’t get injured again.

The Johnson apologists are crazy if they think this is just about Eric. No way he tries to come back if we have a couple of transfer bigs ready to carry the load. Does no one remember Eric’s frustrated expression every time an opponent blew by him or easily out jumped him for a rebound last year? The guy can’t play anymore, and his retirement was a given. The grad assistant position was a nice way for him to stay involved with the team. I just pray he doesn’t get injured again.
I don't think there is any reasonable way to expect anything different out of him than last year. That said, we may need that, if nothing else as a body on the court, this year.

25% of D1 scholarship players are looking for a new home and we end up with team deVry. St Thomas is gonna lap us in basketball. It will be a humbling that the U bball may never recover.

UST getting some local kids. They may get a couple more for 2022...

The goobers don't care that this is in no way a negative. But some still see this as a "major failure". What?
We clearly disagree, which is ok. But i have an honest question. Do you think if we had 3 guys of the Garcia/Liam/Freeman/Mitchell/Manley/Rebraca group do you think Curry would be on the team, 100% honest question. I think that answer would clearly be no. I understand he doesnt count and its great for the kid, I am on board with that all the way. I just worry about the timing. As someone posted above, in October this feels like a WOW THATS AWESOME FOR THE KID!! In July when we have missed on several targets it feels desperate. It doesnt help in the last day or 2 Garcia has 100% taken us out, Mitchell is going pro and sounds like Manley is leaning that way too. Its just a lot of bad news with an attempt to try to make it seem ok. I guess what I am saying is if we are in need of Curry to play any amount of significant minutes I think we are in trouble. Maybe others things Curry/Ihnen/Thompson/SFA guy are the answer to who is going to stop guys like Dickinson/Kofi/etc. I dont see that. Some good news, ANY good news would be massive at this moment. Its just been a lot of bad news the last few months.

We clearly disagree, which is ok. But i have an honest question. Do you think if we had 3 guys of the Garcia/Liam/Freeman/Mitchell/Manley/Rebraca group do you think Curry would be on the team, 100% honest question. I think that answer would clearly be no. I understand he doesnt count and its great for the kid, I am on board with that all the way. I just worry about the timing. As someone posted above, in October this feels like a WOW THATS AWESOME FOR THE KID!! In July when we have missed on several targets it feels desperate. It doesnt help in the last day or 2 Garcia has 100% taken us out, Mitchell is going pro and sounds like Manley is leaning that way too. Its just a lot of bad news with an attempt to try to make it seem ok. I guess what I am saying is if we are in need of Curry to play any amount of significant minutes I think we are in trouble. Maybe others things Curry/Ihnen/Thompson/SFA guy are the answer to who is going to stop guys like Dickinson/Kofi/etc. I dont see that. Some good news, ANY good news would be massive at this moment. Its just been a lot of bad news the last few months.

Yeah. Since he doesn't count against scholarship numbers, I'd think he'd still be on the team. No question.

There's plenty of things to be negative about. You don't have to try so hard to make everything into a negative.

Again, Curry and Willis are best friends.

Why is it so hard to consider the possibility that maybe, just maybe.......Curry's knee is feeling better......he and Willis have been talking......and Curry said, "what the bleep, I'm going to give it a try so my best buddy and I can be teammates one more time."

If Curry plays 10 minutes a game, I'll take that 10 minutes. He is an experienced player who can be a team leader and an example to younger players about dealing with adversity.

I see no negatives here.

Now, would I rather have some 4* stud starting at center? Bleep Yes. but given the Gophers' current situation, I am happy to have Curry coming back.

You also thought a couple of those teams would go "12-8 minimum" in the B1G though, did you not?
Yes i did. I was wrong. Could not have imagined that the coach would be so inept at instilling defense.

Yes i did. I was wrong. Could not have imagined that the coach would be so inept at instilling defense.
Ask Izzo and Howard if they thought the Gophers sucked on defense at the barn last season.
Bashing Pitino is only making it harder on Ben. I know you put zero value on being in the Top 25, much less flirting with being ranked but how many years before it happens again?

To me it starts at that threshold. That happens before conference titles, Sweet 16’s, and National Championships. It’s a process. Pitino achieved the first step. That was not nothing.

Last edited:

Ask Izzo and Howard if they thought the Gophers sucked on defense at the barn last season.
Bashing Pitino is only making it harder on Ben. I know you put zero value on being in the Top 25, much less flirting with being ranked but how many years before it happens again?

To me it starts at that threshold. That happens before conference titles, Sweet 16’s, and National Championships. It’s a process. Pitino achieved the first step. That was not nothing.
Not bashing Pitino. No need. Facts are facts. Ben already knows this. We were a crappy defensive program. Ben and Thorson will do it better. Winning conference is elite. I am asking for consistant conference contention after year 3. Not proven mediocrity. Anyone can get a team to perform one night.

We were a crappy defensive program. Ben and Thorson will do it better.
Man, you'd think if all these college coaches would just realize that they'd suddenly start winning games if they stopped choosing to not play any defense ...

it's amazing so many don't make that choice. It's just that easy.

Man, you'd think if all these college coaches would just realize that they'd suddenly start winning games if they stopped choosing to not play any defense ...

Some are better at coaching defense and demanding it from their players. Playing players 35+ minutes means players are going to take breaks on defense.

That is the point, it is super hard to play great defense. Most coaches are not great . If they were, we would not use that word. It is reserved for those that over time proved that they had a gift. We do not know if Ben has that gift. We fired a guy that did not. These guys go to the same clinics, pick the brains of the best guys,watch film etc.. but finding guys that can and will execute your stuff on a tight weekly teaching schedule is really tough. You have to give a ton of practice time to it and it is tedious and physically exhausting to do it. Like in any profession. Some stand out so far ahead of others. Think of the best teacher you ever had and how they stood out so clearly. That is what practices are like for the top 5 %, they blow the doors off those mediocre coaches.

Lol, man come on. There are different levels of coaching and teaching ability. Also programs do put emphasis on areas. Pitino put a ton more into offense. His defensive concepts got better in his time here but giys didn’t want to play hard on that end. Lastly and probably most important, it’s who and what you recruit. A defensive minded coach never recruits IW for example.

Totally get that, and if we had the other 2 scholarships filled, probably wouldnt have thought two things of it. Just has the smell of desperation. Im just saying if lets say Manley and Garcia (or pick your 2 bigs we were trying for) were both in the fold, do you think Curry makes this decision? I have my doubts.
I’ll eat my crow here. Really felt we’d get at least Manley or Mitchell. Crazy to get neither. Just didn’t think the pro money was out there for these guys. We will see I guess still.

I’ll eat my crow here. Really felt we’d get at least Manley or Mitchell. Crazy to get neither. Just didn’t think the pro money was out there for these guys. We will see I guess still.
Eating crow as well. Seemed like both were a possibility for quite awhile, and then down to probably Manley, so to end up with neither one kind of sums up the last 3.5 months of Gopher basketball. Ben said on his Instagram Live yesterday that he liked his team as is, so guess we’ll see what they have this year and turn attention to 2022 recruiting. Need that to go well and start landing some guys soon.

Some are better at coaching defense and demanding it from their players. Playing players 35+ minutes means players are going to take breaks on defense.
That is the point, it is super hard to play great defense. Most coaches are not great . If they were, we would not use that word. It is reserved for those that over time proved that they had a gift. We do not know if Ben has that gift. We fired a guy that did not. These guys go to the same clinics, pick the brains of the best guys,watch film etc.. but finding guys that can and will execute your stuff on a tight weekly teaching schedule is really tough. You have to give a ton of practice time to it and it is tedious and physically exhausting to do it. Like in any profession. Some stand out so far ahead of others. Think of the best teacher you ever had and how they stood out so clearly. That is what practices are like for the top 5 %, they blow the doors off those mediocre coaches.
Lol, man come on. There are different levels of coaching and teaching ability. Also programs do put emphasis on areas. Pitino put a ton more into offense. His defensive concepts got better in his time here but giys didn’t want to play hard on that end. Lastly and probably most important, it’s who and what you recruit. A defensive minded coach never recruits IW for example.
Thanks for the comments. (y)

Sometimes I make provocative posts, to tease out thoughts like these from those who know far more about it than I do.

Eating crow as well. Seemed like both were a possibility for quite awhile, and then down to probably Manley, so to end up with neither one kind of sums up the last 3.5 months of Gopher basketball. Ben said on his Instagram Live yesterday that he liked his team as is, so guess we’ll see what they have this year and turn attention to 2022 recruiting. Need that to go well and start landing some guys soon.
I felt we had a decent shot with Mitchell Evidently international basketball is returning to business as usual after Covid With absolutely not size it’s going to be interesting. The 6-7 guard from LSU would probably be a good pickup at least for number wise. I doubt we can count on Curry . A couple of injuries and it could be embarrassing

Potentially a huge move. Can exponentially increase Thompson's effectiveness. The body replaces its cells (except for the nervous system) every 3 to 9 months depending on the organ or body part. They are not letting Curry back with the expecttion of yet another injury. I've have gone from needing hip and knee replacement to fully mobile in a year and a half.

Top Bottom