ENOUGH!

frozengopher

Devious and Conniving Member
Reaction score
We need to quit wallowing in self pity. There are still a lot of question marks on both sides of the ball that could very easily turn into positive exclamation points. Sure, what is happening at this point is pretty brutal, but we still don't know how much worse off we could be, we can only speculate. Such speculation could be spot on, as common sense would indicate things aren't going to go well for our Gophers this year, but did anyone really expect 7-1 to start 2008? We still have great talent out there. Our d line has little experience, but the overall dropoff from last year isn't that huge! And Cooper! He's going to be a stud (knock on wood no legal/academic issues no legal/academic issues no legal/academic issues)!

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I am still highly optimisitic that this season will turn out average to good. Adversity brings out the best in a lot of people, and the guys who have been waiting in the rafters to contribute may show signs of greatness. I know the team has faith in their coach and their abilities, and it's stuff like what's been going on this offseason that should bring them together and perhaps bring out a push that common fans like us won't expect. Have faith, gh'ers. It's always darkest before the dawn.

GO GOPHERS!

I was going to say the same thing.

If things are bad, then coaching and everything else will take care of themselves. If things go well, then all of this bad news will be forgotten. I hope for the best.

We need to quit wallowing in self pity. There are still a lot of question marks on both sides of the ball that could very easily turn into positive exclamation points. Sure, what is happening at this point is pretty brutal, but we still don't know how much worse off we could be, we can only speculate. Such speculation could be spot on, as common sense would indicate things aren't going to go well for our Gophers this year, but did anyone really expect 7-1 to start 2008? We still have great talent out there. Our d line has little experience, but the overall dropoff from last year isn't that huge! And Cooper! He's going to be a stud (knock on wood no legal/academic issues no legal/academic issues no legal/academic issues)!

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I am still highly optimisitic that this season will turn out average to good. Adversity brings out the best in a lot of people, and the guys who have been waiting in the rafters to contribute may show signs of greatness. I know the team has faith in their coach and their abilities, and it's stuff like what's been going on this offseason that should bring them together and perhaps bring out a push that common fans like us won't expect. Have faith, gh'ers. It's always darkest before the dawn.

GO GOPHERS!

+ Infinity

The team I watched all spring is the most talented (particularly defensively) I've seen in my lifetime as a die hard Gopher fan. This fall the Gophers will win 7-8 games. I consider that a conservative prediction.

Thank you Frozen Gopher for your much needed assessment. Now, if we could only get bailsalez to post over here too...

+ Infinity

The team I watched all spring is the most talented (particularly defensively) I've seen in my lifetime as a die hard Gopher fan. This fall the Gophers will win 7-8 games. I consider that a conservative prediction.

conservative prediction? wow - have another

+ Infinity

The team I watched all spring is the most talented (particularly defensively) I've seen in my lifetime as a die hard Gopher fan.

"We're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? We're talking about practice. I know it's important . . . I honestly do. But we're talking about practice, man. What are we talking about? Practice?"

Practice or not we have an overall more talented team than we have had in yrs. Now the talent must mature, play togather and win. But the talent is getting better, however I still think 2011 and 2012 will be the yrs. we see the big improvement.

Maybe there's something wrong with me,

GO GOPHERS!

as Bill Murray once said, "there is one thing we all have in common...there is something wrong with us, very very wrong with us, something seriously wrong with us"

good post.

Practice or not we have an overall more talented team than we have had in yrs. Now the talent must mature, play togather and win. But the talent is getting better, however I still think 2011 and 2012 will be the yrs. we see the big improvement.

I keep reading this over and over from some posters, and I'm just wondering what that seemingly factual statement is based on?

Go watch practice and watch the kids perform, see what they can do and how they move! The statement is usually made by people that have watched and not read a bunch of BS from nominds.

How old are you? 5?
:pig: Really?

I watched the Gophers' open scrimmage and spring game. If you did the same and disagree with me that's fine. If not perhaps I have a better idea than you do. If you want my complete reasoning check my post in the sporting news 'ranking' thread.

As I've mentioned before I'm relatively young compared to many on this board, but have been watching the Gophers' intently since I was very young during the mid-Wacker years.

This is an honest question. Your moniker is Gopherbadgerman. Are you a fan of the Gophers or the Badgers? (since obviously, it should be impossible to be a fan of rival teams).

I'm not going to throw any judgment on this year's Gophers until midway through the season. So everyone just chill a little. Enjoy the summer.

as Bill Murray once said, "there is one thing we all have in common...there is something wrong with us, very very wrong with us, something seriously wrong with us"

good post.

Does that mean we are the "Wretched refuse"?:D

"We're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? We're talking about practice. I know it's important . . . I honestly do. But we're talking about practice, man. What are we talking about? Practice?"

LOL! However, that is where it all begins in football.

It's an interesting season. There is no team that I feel we cannot beat, especially with all of our tough games at home, yet, I feel like the odds will be against us in the majority of our games. Few season outcomes could surprise me this year - hopefully, it makes for a fun ride.

After reading a couple of threads tonight, including this one, I'm more convinced than ever that this board is not a fan board. Instead, it's filled with bitter people waiting to see the ship go down so they can jump around and yell "I told you so." The real fans have either left this place or, like myself, are rapidly decreasing their participation. The few who are left are fighting hard, but it's a losing battle, because negativity is cheap and easy.

This time the rock is going up the hill and staying there!

535px-Tiziano_-_S%C3%ADsifo.jpg

Carter and Watkins are SPECIAL!

After reading a couple of threads tonight, including this one, I'm more convinced than ever that this board is not a fan board. Instead, it's filled with bitter people waiting to see the ship go down so they can jump around and yell "I told you so." The real fans have either left this place or, like myself, are rapidly decreasing their participation. The few who are left are fighting hard, but it's a losing battle, because negativity is cheap and easy.

I understand your perspective but see it a bit differently; besides the somewhat obvious trolls, the fanbase has many folks that have been beaten down into bitterness over the years and have lost the ability to provide steadfast support to their team. They have endured disappointments so they rather be wrong when something positive occurs. A little cowardly I'd say but I do understand. Unfortunately, they are missing the sweetness of appreciating the new foundation that Coach Brewster and his staff are building here. One thing I have learned in all my years is that good things take time; who in the heck established the four year deadline for building a solid program? That crap is usually propounded by rivals and other conference opponents. They definitely do not want the competitions staff to gel and have time to get over the hump. The funny thing is that historically struggling programs more often fall for the GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER recommendations without confirming who is making the suggestions. Now hear this Gopher Nation, no one wishes harder than your rivals, Iowas and Wisky, that you get silly anxscious and pull the plug on Coach Brewster and his Staff because they understand how talented the youth of this team is. It is just a coincidence that both Wisky and Iowas compiled top of the conference teams within his tenure, but even with significantly less talent, his staff has generally kept the Gopher squads in rival games with a chance to win, Shonn Greene party excepted. THEY KNOW TIME IS RUNNING OUT ON THEIR RUN AND WANT BREWSTER AND STAFF OUT NOW! And yes, they also know Rallis is no Walk-on.

I keep reading this over and over from some posters, and I'm just wondering what that seemingly factual statement is based on?

Gray, McKnight, Stoudemire, Green, Allen, Hill, Carter, Watkins, Cooper. Rallis, Edwards, Kirksey, Tinsley, Lewis, McGee, Hageman, Wilhite, Olsen, Michels, Reeves, Singleton, Allipate, Parish, Ferguson, Eure, Garin...

Shall I go on or is that enough facts old burgandy one.

Gray, McKnight, Stoudemire, Green, Allen, Hill, Carter, Watkins, Cooper. Rallis, Edwards, Kirksey, Tinsley, Lewis, McGee, Hageman, Wilhite, Olsen, Michels, Reeves, Singleton, Allipate, Parish, Ferguson, Eure, Garin...

Shall I go on or is that enough facts old burgandy one.

14 of those guys have yet to take a snap with the Gophers....wouldn't your facts be opinions at this point?

14 of those guys have yet to take a snap with the Gophers....wouldn't your facts be opinions at this point?

I do not think so. But I guess it depends what you consider to be the rules for evaluating talent. I thought the issue was proof of improved athleticism and talent. There are markers for measuring same before a player actually plays in a game you know.

This is an honest question. Your moniker is Gopherbadgerman. Are you a fan of the Gophers or the Badgers? (since obviously, it should be impossible to be a fan of rival teams).

I'm a fan of both. I appreciate your optimism. I doubt I know as much about the game as you but I expect were going to see a well coached team this year who is going to be in every game. I think the OC and DC are going to make a big difference. I think Brew may have hit on a winning formula - 'Out Iowa Iowa' and 'Out Wisconsin Wisconsin'. I think that there is no reason the U couldn't play the same style of football as IA and UW but with better athletes because of recruiting advantages - diversity, life after football, nightlife, etc. I'm just not sure that KC can reload on D with all the LB losses and Royston out. The schedule is really tough too - what a time to miss Michigan!

In any event I remain optimistic and I believe that The next three years will be good years now that the team has stable coaching staff and a stable identity.

I'm a fan of both. I appreciate your optimism. I doubt I know as much about the game as you but I expect were going to see a well coached team this year who is going to be in every game. I think the OC and DC are going to make a big difference. I think Brew may have hit on a winning formula - 'Out Iowa Iowa' and 'Out Wisconsin Wisconsin'. I think that there is no reason the U couldn't play the same style of football as IA and UW but with better athletes because of recruiting advantages - diversity, life after football, nightlife, etc. I'm just not sure that KC can reload on D with all the LB losses and Royston out. The schedule is really tough too - what a time to miss Michigan!

In any event I remain optimistic and I believe that The next three years will be good years now that the team has stable coaching staff and a stable identity.

Why would we want to do that? both Iowa and Wisconsin are barely better than us. I don't see either one of those teams in the National Championship. Why would we not want to out Ohio State Ohio State or out Florida Florida?

Gophers and Wisky?

Do you just cheer for the home team each year? Interesting analysis on the Gophers and advantages in recruiting. Frankly, I believe success on the football field, rankings and bowl appearances have a much larger impact. Regarding the Gopher Defense, I believe the inexperience will be mainly compensated for through superior gameplanning as the Co-defensive Coordinators, Coaches Cosgrove and Lee, work very well together. More speed on D is helpful as well.

Why would we want to do that? both Iowa and Wisconsin are barely better than us. I don't see either one of those teams in the National Championship. Why would we not want to out Ohio State Ohio State or out Florida Florida?

I just don't think that's practical right now. The talent pool here is very similar to Wisconsin. The Alvarez strategy was about bullding on your strengths. Hence all the all conf. Offensive linemen and the big run game. I think the gophers should do the same. Turn the tables on IA and UW and there will be plenty of time to argue about what it takes to supplant Michigan.

+ Infinity

Thank you Frozen Gopher for your much needed assessment. Now, if we could only get bailsalez to post over here too...

I am adding this to my signature it's so funny. That might be the most ridiculous statement I have ever read. Please break down the schedule and tell me where these 9 wins will come from, since you think 7-8 wins is conservative.

I am adding this to my signature it's so funny. That might be the most ridiculous statement I have ever read. Please break down the schedule and tell me where these 9 wins will come from, since you think 7-8 wins is conservative.

Couldn't he have meant that he believes the Gophers will win eight games but threw in the potential to win only 7 games to be conservative. What is ridiculous about that? I think you just had your negative hat on when you read his comment.

Couldn't he have meant that he believes the Gophers will win eight games but threw in the potential to win only 7 games to be conservative. What is ridiculous about that? I think you just had your negative hat on when you read his comment.

OK, break down the schedule are show me 8 wins!

Top Bottom