End of Division I Sports as We Know It

My Godson who was to attend St. Edwards University in Austin, TX in the fall on a golf scholarship learned today that both golf and tennis programs are now being eliminated, as well as men's soccer.
Small school I know, but more of this will happen eventually. He is left with, what do I do now?
That sucks. I think it will happen to some sports on all levels. Especially if they are going to forgo football season which seems increasingly likely.

Why wouldn't Pence just talk directly to the CFP executive committee, that actually makes the decisions?

That said, like I mentioned in post #79, college presidents are terrified that if they can't get students physically back on campus this fall, that the higher education system as-is could be permanently damaged.
The CFP committee has nothing to do with this at this point.

This is up to the conferences and the schools. If they are not willing to bring sports back without the campuses being re-opened, we're probably not having any sports in the Fall, IMO.

What % of students will never return because they've decided online is easier/cheaper is an issue to, but not one the conference AD's have to worry about directly.

This is up to the conferences and the schools. If they are not willing to bring sports back without the campuses being re-opened, we're probably not having any sports in the Fall, IMO.

What % of students will never return because they've decided online is easier/cheaper is an issue to, but not one the conference AD's have to worry about directly.
In the article it said Pence talked to the CFP management committee which are the commissioners of the 10 FBS confs plus Notre Dame’s AD. The executive committee are a representative president from a school in each conf (forget which Big Ten prez is on it) plus ND’s prez. That’s why I said that.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2019/4/3/governance.aspx

I’m sure they’re saying they won’t bring sports back unless they’re allowed to bring students back, because the latter is what they really want.

Last edited:

Their scholarships won't be cut. That's the equivalent, relevant action.
There it is, just like clockwork, the trademark MplsGopher backpedal. You state that the budgets for football and men's basketball won't be cut. Then, when there's a challenge to that position, you re-characterize your position and draw a false equivalency between the decision not to add additional scholarships in softball (scholarships that were never promised or awarded to anyone, that would go beyond the normal total number of scholarships in that sport and that would require additional funds beyond what is already contemplated for that sport) and taking away scholarships in football and men's basketball (from actual student athletes who hold or have been promised those scholarships, scholarships that fall within the regular limits for those sports and which were already part of the contemplated budget for those sports). That's neither equivalent, nor relevant. It's just you grasping at straws because you know that your initial declarative statement was ridiculously ill-conceived. Or I guess you might just say you were being sarcastic again 'cause it was such an obviously stupid thing to suggest that everyone should know you didn't mean it.

You state that the budgets for football and men's basketball won't be cut. Then, when there's a challenge to that position, you re-characterize your position
Firstly, I'm allowed to relax my position when a better idea comes along. Nothing dishonest or insincere about that.

The better idea is thusly: spring sports would be allowed to have the extra scholarships, if they're willing to accept corresponding cuts to their budget in other areas. That was never offered by Coyle.

draw a false equivalency between the decision not to add additional scholarships in softball ... and taking away scholarships in football and men's basketball
Adding the "extra" scholarships is only relevant in the context of a level playing field, both within the Big Ten but also the other national contenders. Others in the Big Ten, and other national contenders, will no doubt add them. So to stay level, we should have them too.

The valid, correct equivalency then, in football and basketball, would be reducing their scholarships from the current max to save money, and thus not allowing them that same level playing field.

True, and we all know a 21 year old can't pass the virus on to anyone older on campus.

Oh, I forgot that if one person on campus might get sick that would be the end of the world. Keeping everything locked down for many months is much better.

Old fans and those with compromised immune systems should stay away. The rest could attend with little concern (assuming governmental rules allow them to). Statistics loudly support this fact as very few healthy young people end up with serious cases. At some point, our plan for attacking this virus has to shift to fall in line with this reality. I’m already seeing that being discussed. As the typical Williams Arena crowd is pretty old, that would certainly change the scene there, and I would think ticket prices will have to be lowered greatly to put butts in the seats.

"The rest" would still increase their risk of contracting convid 19 and spreading it to "old fans and those with compromised immune systems." Plus, we now know that the young and healthy can still die from the disease.

If a person with any general knowledge of anything based on reality posted that I would be concerned. Real world economics = very important. Howeda's economic understanding = nothing.

"The rest" would still increase their risk of contracting convid 19 and spreading it to "old fans and those with compromised immune systems." Plus, we now know that the young and healthy can still die from the disease.

More people over 100 years of age have died in the USA than those under age 30. Very scary for you?

Oh, I forgot that if one person on campus might get sick that would be the end of the world.
Reasonable healthy, non-old people are, correctly, afraid of dying.

Those same people aren't afraid of getting the cold or the seasonal flu.

That's why this is happening.

How about 30-40?

What's special about under 30?

Median age of Covid 19 deaths in MN is 87 years of age. Or should we, like you, worry more about how what is happening in NYC and should determine what we do here in MN based on those fears? Sadly, for you, not enough people have died here in MN to justify your fears and statements. I am delighted that the President and many, many others are finally coming around to the rational decision that rational humans are perfectly capable of making rational decisions based on their local realities.

Reasonable healthy, non-old people are, correctly, afraid of dying.

Those same people aren't afraid of getting the cold or the seasonal flu.

That's why this is happening.

Sadly, I am stuck with living in the world of reality, not your TDS driven fear of imaginary "crisis". You are afraid, if I were 35 years of age I would not be afraid of this virus any more than any other.

For non-revenue sports I would like to see competition be more regional. Keep the Big 10 for Championship/playoffs but regular season play teams much more closer to home, Drake, No Iowa, Dakotas, Green Bay, Milwaukee, and even bigger D2 schools.

For non-revenue sports I would like to see competition be more regional. Keep the Big 10 for Championship/playoffs but regular season play teams much more closer to home, Drake, No Iowa, Dakotas, Green Bay, Milwaukee, and even bigger D2 schools.
Would be interesting to know how much plane travel the non-revenue sports incur to the dept and how much of an impact that would be, if they were required to only use bus travel and no longer than say a 7/8 hour per way trip.

Still got food and hotel, regardless.

In a $100M budget, you might only be talking about a few hundred thousand dollars, if that, depending on how much charters are used.

I know volleyball usually charters, but they're smaller jets. And they're arguably a revenue sport? They usually sell out every home match, 5-6k attendance.

My wife and I are both considered old. But we will be attending games - assuming they have a season. My comment to other “old” people, if you are concerned about contacting the virus, then don’t go to the game. Attending should be my decision, not some politician hiding under their desk.

In the article it said Pence talked to the CFP management committee which are the commissioners of the 10 FBS confs plus Notre Dame’s AD. The executive committee are a representative president from a school in each conf (forget which Big Ten prez is on it) plus ND’s prez. That’s why I said that.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2019/4/3/governance.aspx

I’m sure they’re saying they won’t bring sports back unless they’re allowed to bring students back, because the latter is what they really want.

It would seem appropriate that the current administration would go to the CFP committee and not quite realize that those guys don't make that decision ...

Mr. Pence ... this is an Arby's...

Would be interesting to know how much plane travel the non-revenue sports incur to the dept and how much of an impact that would be, if they were required to only use bus travel and no longer than say a 7/8 hour per way trip.

Still got food and hotel, regardless.

In a $100M budget, you might only be talking about a few hundred thousand dollars, if that, depending on how much charters are used.

I know volleyball usually charters, but they're smaller jets. And they're arguably a revenue sport? They usually sell out every home match, 5-6k attendance.

Probably would need to consider Volleyball as "revenue", possible Title IX offset to football.

I still tend to think there will be college FB games this fall - but with no fans in the stands.

The key is testing capacity. the Players and support staff will have to be tested on a frequent basis. to this point (as of 11am on Thursday, April 16th) the state of MN has tested a total of 41,675 people. that is cumulative to the start of the outbreak. They are currently testing anywhere from 1,000 to 1,400 people a day - state-wide.

so now, in order to ensure that college FB games can be played, you have to have enough testing capacity to test 100+ players and support staff - potentially at least once a week or more often.

if they can fix the testing issue, then I think there will be games this fall. But, the testing has to be there.

Fans in the stands - not until there is a vaccine - meaning the 2021 season. (which is what Fauci and others are saying....)

They would have, if we weren't so good at social distancing.

Yesterday was a good example. Wife and I went to Menards to buy some bricks, kept our distance as dozens and dozens of people came and went. Dozens of young males and young females working around the store helping as needed. Some folk wearing masks, most not. While out for a walk later in the day we walked past the new young people who moved into the neighborhood a couple of months ago. As is normal they were sitting outside with four of their young friends. Six people within six feet of each other, all under 35 years of age. Why are all of these people doing what they are doing? Why would I care? I don't. Because, each has now learned that there is no real danger here to anyone here with minumum precautions. We don't live in the Metro and it is dawning on us that this has been "much to do about nothing" that is not normal in life. PS my neighbors 52 year old son just entered the home of his 80 year old parents. Not smart, especially if you knew his lifestyle (pot head, on disability, heavy social drinker). Individual responsiblity, or not.

I still tend to think there will be college FB games this fall - but with no fans in the stands.

The key is testing capacity. the Players and support staff will have to be tested on a frequent basis. to this point (as of 11am on Thursday, April 16th) the state of MN has tested a total of 41,675 people. that is cumulative to the start of the outbreak. They are currently testing anywhere from 1,000 to 1,400 people a day - state-wide.

so now, in order to ensure that college FB games can be played, you have to have enough testing capacity to test 100+ players and support staff - potentially at least once a week or more often.

if they can fix the testing issue, then I think there will be games this fall. But, the testing has to be there.

Fans in the stands - not until there is a vaccine - meaning the 2021 season. (which is what Fauci and others are saying....)

My guess would be that this will substantially blow over by June 1. The media and you Dems will try to keep it alive until the next airplane crash or whatever happens, but the average out state person all around the country will be off to real life once again.

Other countries - Japan and Taiwan with baseball - are already on their way back to playing their seasons. What makes people think that two of the biggest (by fan following and money) and most well-resourced sports in the entire world - NFL and CFB - won't find a way to make their seasons happen (especially with 4-5 months left to plan)?

what are you talking about? Japan is on lockdown and they pushed the start back of their season.

what are you talking about? Japan is on lockdown and they pushed the start back of their season.

My bad. I'm only partially right. Last thing I read on Japan was about them playing spring training games in empty stadiums.

"That Japan had restarted spring training, albeit without fans in the crowd, after its initial wave with the virus was seen as encouraging in some MLB quarters."

However, I am 100% correct about the season starting in Taiwan. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ml...ball-season-was-in-taiwan.html?outputType=amp

So Id say my original point still stands. With even one other league figuring out a way and testing it out, you best believe our much richer leagues are watching closely and crafting their own plans.

My bad. I'm only partially right. Last thing I read on Japan was about them playing spring training games in empty stadiums.

"That Japan had restarted spring training, albeit without fans in the crowd, after its initial wave with the virus was seen as encouraging in some MLB quarters."

However, I am 100% correct about the season starting in Taiwan. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive.com/tigers/2020/04/first-pitch-of-the-2020-baseball-season-was-in-taiwan.html?outputType=amp

So Id say my original point still stands. With even one other league figuring out a way and testing it out, you best believe our much richer leagues are watching closely and crafting their own plans.

As pointed out in the article you attached, Taiwan (country of 24 million) only has had 6 deaths, thus drawing a parallel to North America does not hold.

Barry Alvarez is a piece of shit who should be vilified for his terrible decision, that no other Big Ten school has taken.

Therefore, a realistic, viable alternative to what he did would be: do what the rest of the Big Ten is doing.

I'm no Barry Alvarez fan, but he did not make the call for the Badgers to eliminate baseball back in 1991, it was Pat Richtar. He was HC starting in 1990 and did not take over for Richtar as AD until 2004.

They would have, if we weren't so good at social distancing.

If so, why did they not die on the aircraft carrier DeGaul with no social distancing and 687 medically confirmed cases? No deaths. That is a complete sample in a very controlled setting. No estimates involved at all. No BS, PC, TDS factors involved. Just large numbers of younger people not dying of Covid 19 with no social distancing.

Top Bottom