Email to Souhan: Subject Line: 'Lazy or slanted? Help, I can't tell!'

Gopher Bandanna Guy

Irascible Skeptic
Reaction score
As promised, here's the email I fired off to Jim Souhan in response to his rather lazy and hindsight is 20/20 column. My hope is to generate a personal discussion with him to gain some insight on his intent/motives, a la my talk with Chip Scoggins after his hit piece on Ralph Sampson earlier this year. Hoping I at least get an email back from him.

Mr. Souhan,

I’ll be completely honest with you, in the hopes you’ll return the favor. I’ve held your columns in fairly low standing for several years now, particularly when they cover anything related to University of Minnesota football or basketball. I typically find them to be full of throwaway statements and weak on research. They also seem to take a strange level of glee when criticizing Gopher coaches, administrators, and fans. I’m uncertain as to where this sadism comes from, but I suspect you’ll tell me that this is simply my perception and not reality. But maybe I’m being unfair. Perhaps I’m simply too naïve to expect even a modicum of positive or at least even-handed coverage of the U.

Your latest column, titled ‘Nelson’s Quarterbacking Tools Didn’t Merit a Long Shelf Life’ backhandedly compliments Jerry Kill’s improved recruiting stature for landing Nelson. Only to immediately thereafter toss him under the bus for not having the foresight to have started true Freshman QB Philip Nelson from day 1. Exploring any rationale for Kill to have initially redshirting Nelson is absent. Instead you describe how he failed as an assessor of talent of his own squad. Assessment the very same talent he deemed worthy of recruiting hard for, less than a year earlier. Had your post-supposition come, say after Week 1 or 2 of the season, you might have looked the part of football expert and would have every right to throw out an article with this level of criticism now. Heck, I’d be reconsidering my opinion of you right now. But unfortunately, you had no deeper insight to share on the Gopher football depth chart then, than you do right now.

Of course, it’s very easy to second guess Kill’s assessment to have not started the season off with Nelson under center, you fail to make any legitimate explanation as to why Kill might just have thought it initially best to keep Nelson under wraps for a season. Perhaps it was intended to protect Nelson from having to play behind an offensive line that has been dinged up since Week 1 and is not particularly deep or experienced. Perhaps Gray and Shortell simply knew the offense better at the time camp broke. Perhaps it was a chance for a young man to get his feet under him as he started college for the first time, before throwing him to the wolves (Big Ten defenders and hack journalists alike). Perhaps the Senior Gray simply had a significant edge in leadership, and Shortell had more collegiate experience. Situations change. Injuries happen. Needs evolve. All factors you lazily ignored and which make this article just another exhibit of your lack of any real insight into the workings of Jerry Kill regime at the University of Minnesota.

To close your column, state that with Nelson at QB and Gray at WR gives the Gophers their best possible lineup and you “…wonder why it wasn’t easy to say 2 months ago.” I think you know the answer to this even while writing it, but decided it was simply easier to attack Kill than explore the nuances of this situation. If true, that’s just flat out disingenuous. And if you really didn’t know, then why not explore rather than attack. So which is it? Slanted writing, or simple lack of effort.

Would love to hear your response on this. Feel free to contact me with any format you feel comfortable using. I’m an educated and reasonable person, who happens to be a Gopher football fan and athletic booster (yes, we exist and we are passionate about our team). I’m not looking for a fight, but rather a reasoned explanation and perhaps a better understanding of where you are coming from when writing about the Gophers. And I’ll admit it, I’m one of the folks who wasn’t exactly pleased when I learned the morning of October 20 that Nelson’s redshirt was going to be burned. I wanted to swallow more bile for a season, in the hopes that the program would be better off long term with him waiting in the wings and getting a year of education under Kill’s system before being put on the field. I’m not an instant gratification kind of guy.

When I took issue with an article Chip Scoggins wrote earlier this year, he had the decency to call me in person and discuss his position. We had a brief and productive conversation and he was even willing to admit he was probably being unfair and the timing of the article poor. And while I don’t expect the same level of courtesy from you, I’m hoping you’ll surprise me. Perhaps my perception is all out of whack, and I’m simply another of many overly sensitive Gopher alums who want desperately for his alma mater to succeed.

Thanks for your time,
Jon Tortomasi

very well written. i see that gopherhole tweeted it out and tagged him so hopefully he reads it one place or another.

Well done, Bandanna Guy.

I am hoping, as I expect you will, that you will share with us any response/reply from the Soupcan (if he dares. :) )

Then again, he may just pass it on to Reusse and tell Pat to take care of it.

Good letter Bandana Guy. In his columns Souhan comes across as a second-guessing jerk. I have my doubts he will bother to respond, but I appreciate your effort.

Souhan's a hack. I'm sure he'll just revel in this, because he seems like a guy who's going to the Reusse school of journalism of generating hits and interest through meaningless controversy and empty rhetoric.

Did he write the same article when the Vikings finally started Christian Ponder half way through last season.

I generally like Souhan when he writes about the Twins. And even though I read his Nelson article as sarcasm, it was in bad taste, especially since it was after Nelson's second game, and the gameplan and outcome were completely different from his first.

He deserves your letter, and I bet he will see it somehow, as even if he doesn't dig for stuff like this or read many personal emails, I know some of the other sports writers he works with lurk the gopherhole and might shove it in his face. ;)

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

I just sent him this email:

Dear Mr. Souhan,

I take exception with the cheap shot tactics you used in your article on Sunday regarding Phillip Nelson's redshirt. If I believed you made any effort in your writing to look at facts or do anything to validate that you are close to the truth, it would be easier to consider what you have to say. Anyone that really follows Gopher football can poke holes in your weak opinions all day. It is too bad that people get sucked in by your B.S. I can see how it happens as most of them are bandwagon Gopher fans and wouldn't know the meaning of support if it bit them in the rear end. I write a small newsletter that maybe 1,500 Gopher fans read and wanted to share a piece of it with you. It never hurts for you to see a little bit of the truth so read on:

Congratulations to Coach Kill for having the courage to make the tough decision and taking the redshirt off of Nelson. I know he did not do it without giving it proper analysis. However, one individual who in his own mind is a "college football genius" is struggling with the decision. Jim Souhan of the Star Tribune says that Jerry Kill should either have started Nelson from the beginning of the year or kept the redshirt on him. He said that the coach must be working under secret sanctions that keep him from watching practice. Let's take a closer look at this situation and see if Souhan is on to something.

Back in the fall before the season the Big 10 network sends out their top analysts to each school and analyzes what they think the team's strengths and weakness are and how they might fare in the upcoming season. It was their opinion that Marqueis Gray was going to be one of the better quarterbacks in the Big 10 based on what they saw. These Big 10 guys never even mentioned Nelson starting. Next year they will have to consult with Souhan before giving their opinions. One of the reasons they may not have brought it up was because Nelson was hampered with a hamstring injury in the practices leading up to the season and wouldn't have been able to compete for the starting spot if he wanted to. Now, Souhan probably knew this because he is over at the U every day. No, wait that is Sid. More likely, Souhan is like Mr. Reusse, who Glen Mason says showed up on campus twice in ten years when he was the coach. Some people know everything without observing. So Mr. Souhan believes that anyone could have seen who the best of the three quarterbacks was. Even though the Big 10 analysts and the Gopher coaching staff all thought Gray was the guy, they obviously don't have Souhan's college football prowess.

How about his other contention that Nelson's redshirt should have been kept on six games into the season. Once again I am sure Souhan was in touch with the team doctors before the Wisconsin game and been informed that Gray's ankle was fine and Shortell had no lingering effects from his injury. Sorry, I will go with Coach Kill on this one. If he felt at the time that the others were not at a healthy enough level to start, I believe him. Also, Mr. Souhan said why waste a redshirt in hopes of the team going to a lousy pizza bowl. Going to a bowl, any bowl will help with recruiting. It is not like Minnesota attracts the top talented players Alabama does; we need to work to get our recruits. A bowl game will attract more players to our program. But, why bother with facts. At least that appears to be Mr. Souhan's approach when he is writing about Gopher football.

It is funny that if this was such an obvious act of desperation by Kill as Souhan put it, that he wouldn't have written about it after Nelson's first game at Wisconsin. Of course giving the benefit of the doubt, maybe he didn't watch that one. No, it is more likely that our college football genius was looking for something negative to write about and thought with Nelson's big game garnering attention that he could twist the facts in this situation so he would look like a clever writer. There is nothing he likes better than sticking it to the Gophers. One thing I know, the easy road in writing is to take the negative path. The most challenging is to write about the positive, especially when a team is losing. It would be refreshing to see Mr. Souhan take this approach, but that would require effort, which is something we have seen very little of from this professional journalist.

As promised, here's the email I fired off to Jim Souhan in response to his rather lazy and hindsight is 20/20 column. My hope is to generate a personal discussion with him to gain some insight on his intent/motives, a la my talk with Chip Scoggins after his hit piece on Ralph Sampson earlier this year. Hoping I at least get an email back from him.

Mr. Souhan,

I’ll be completely honest with you, in the hopes you’ll return the favor. I’ve held your columns in fairly low standing for several years now, particularly when they cover anything related to University of Minnesota football or basketball. I typically find them to be full of throwaway statements and weak on research. They also seem to take a strange level of glee when criticizing Gopher coaches, administrators, and fans. I’m uncertain as to where this sadism comes from, but I suspect you’ll tell me that this is simply my perception and not reality. But maybe I’m being unfair. Perhaps I’m simply too naïve to expect even a modicum of positive or at least even-handed coverage of the U.

Your latest column, titled ‘Nelson’s Quarterbacking Tools Didn’t Merit a Long Shelf Life’ backhandedly compliments Jerry Kill’s improved recruiting stature for landing Nelson. Only to immediately thereafter toss him under the bus for not having the foresight to have started true Freshman QB Philip Nelson from day 1. Exploring any rationale for Kill to have initially redshirting Nelson is absent. Instead you describe how he failed as an assessor of talent of his own squad. Assessment the very same talent he deemed worthy of recruiting hard for, less than a year earlier. Had your post-supposition come, say after Week 1 or 2 of the season, you might have looked the part of football expert and would have every right to throw out an article with this level of criticism now. Heck, I’d be reconsidering my opinion of you right now. But unfortunately, you had no deeper insight to share on the Gopher football depth chart then, than you do right now.

Of course, it’s very easy to second guess Kill’s assessment to have not started the season off with Nelson under center, you fail to make any legitimate explanation as to why Kill might just have thought it initially best to keep Nelson under wraps for a season. Perhaps it was intended to protect Nelson from having to play behind an offensive line that has been dinged up since Week 1 and is not particularly deep or experienced. Perhaps Gray and Shortell simply knew the offense better at the time camp broke. Perhaps it was a chance for a young man to get his feet under him as he started college for the first time, before throwing him to the wolves (Big Ten defenders and hack journalists alike). Perhaps the Senior Gray simply had a significant edge in leadership, and Shortell had more collegiate experience. Situations change. Injuries happen. Needs evolve. All factors you lazily ignored and which make this article just another exhibit of your lack of any real insight into the workings of Jerry Kill regime at the University of Minnesota.

To close your column, state that with Nelson at QB and Gray at WR gives the Gophers their best possible lineup and you “…wonder why it wasn’t easy to say 2 months ago.” I think you know the answer to this even while writing it, but decided it was simply easier to attack Kill than explore the nuances of this situation. If true, that’s just flat out disingenuous. And if you really didn’t know, then why not explore rather than attack. So which is it? Slanted writing, or simple lack of effort.

Would love to hear your response on this. Feel free to contact me with any format you feel comfortable using. I’m an educated and reasonable person, who happens to be a Gopher football fan and athletic booster (yes, we exist and we are passionate about our team). I’m not looking for a fight, but rather a reasoned explanation and perhaps a better understanding of where you are coming from when writing about the Gophers. And I’ll admit it, I’m one of the folks who wasn’t exactly pleased when I learned the morning of October 20 that Nelson’s redshirt was going to be burned. I wanted to swallow more bile for a season, in the hopes that the program would be better off long term with him waiting in the wings and getting a year of education under Kill’s system before being put on the field. I’m not an instant gratification kind of guy.

When I took issue with an article Chip Scoggins wrote earlier this year, he had the decency to call me in person and discuss his position. We had a brief and productive conversation and he was even willing to admit he was probably being unfair and the timing of the article poor. And while I don’t expect the same level of courtesy from you, I’m hoping you’ll surprise me. Perhaps my perception is all out of whack, and I’m simply another of many overly sensitive Gopher alums who want desperately for his alma mater to succeed.

Thanks for your time,
Jon Tortomasi

Now sure if he will address your letter - but he just tweeted this: RT @SouhanStrib: Joining 1500espn shortly to wonder why there are more Gopher fans who whine than attend games.

Now sure if he will address your letter - but he just tweeted this: RT @SouhanStrib: Joining 1500espn shortly to wonder why there are more Gopher fans who whine than attend games.

That's about what I would expect out of Jim Souhan. Not surprised at all. Souhan clearly has a monstrous ego. He certainly has a lot more ego than he does knowledge of college football or basketball.

Chip Scoggins clearly has some class. At least he's not too big for "us common folk."

Dunno why anyone pays attention, to be honest.

That's about what I would expect out of Jim Souhan. Not surprised at all. Souhan clearly has a monstrous ego. He certainly has a lot more ego than he does knowledge of college football or basketball.

Chip Scoggins clearly has some class. At least he's not too big for "us common folk."

Plus Chip's a great writer, and knows what he's talking about. I wasn't a fan of the timing of his Sampson article...but takes a big person to get back to his readers. He is just a good guy, in general.

He's saying that Kill panicked in the middle of the season, a desperation move, just to go to play at a Little Cesar's bowl in front of 18 fans.

GL, I agree with yout about Scoggins. I'd say the same thing about Jeff Shelman (when he covered the Gophers), Phil Miller and Amelia, too (and that's not saying I agree with everything they write/wrote).

Souhan? Not so much. He's a condescending, arrogant (you know what).

My response (from @JTorto40): @SouhanStrib As a season-ticket holder who used his seats, I'm not under your no-show concerns. Please set me straight on my whining.

Clearly I'll be waiting, likely indefinitely.

I just sent him this email:

Dear Mr. Souhan,

I take exception with the cheap shot tactics you used in your article on Sunday regarding Phillip Nelson's redshirt. If I believed you made any effort in your writing to look at facts or do anything to validate that you are close to the truth, it would be easier to consider what you have to say. Anyone that really follows Gopher football can poke holes in your weak opinions all day. It is too bad that people get sucked in by your B.S. I can see how it happens as most of them are bandwagon Gopher fans and wouldn't know the meaning of support if it bit them in the rear end. I write a small newsletter that maybe 1,500 Gopher fans read and wanted to share a piece of it with you. It never hurts for you to see a little bit of the truth so read on:

Congratulations to Coach Kill for having the courage to make the tough decision and taking the redshirt off of Nelson. I know he did not do it without giving it proper analysis. However, one individual who in his own mind is a "college football genius" is struggling with the decision. Jim Souhan of the Star Tribune says that Jerry Kill should either have started Nelson from the beginning of the year or kept the redshirt on him. He said that the coach must be working under secret sanctions that keep him from watching practice. Let's take a closer look at this situation and see if Souhan is on to something.

Back in the fall before the season the Big 10 network sends out their top analysts to each school and analyzes what they think the team's strengths and weakness are and how they might fare in the upcoming season. It was their opinion that Marqueis Gray was going to be one of the better quarterbacks in the Big 10 based on what they saw. These Big 10 guys never even mentioned Nelson starting. Next year they will have to consult with Souhan before giving their opinions. One of the reasons they may not have brought it up was because Nelson was hampered with a hamstring injury in the practices leading up to the season and wouldn't have been able to compete for the starting spot if he wanted to. Now, Souhan probably knew this because he is over at the U every day. No, wait that is Sid. More likely, Souhan is like Mr. Reusse, who Glen Mason says showed up on campus twice in ten years when he was the coach. Some people know everything without observing. So Mr. Souhan believes that anyone could have seen who the best of the three quarterbacks was. Even though the Big 10 analysts and the Gopher coaching staff all thought Gray was the guy, they obviously don't have Souhan's college football prowess.

How about his other contention that Nelson's redshirt should have been kept on six games into the season. Once again I am sure Souhan was in touch with the team doctors before the Wisconsin game and been informed that Gray's ankle was fine and Shortell had no lingering effects from his injury. Sorry, I will go with Coach Kill on this one. If he felt at the time that the others were not at a healthy enough level to start, I believe him. Also, Mr. Souhan said why waste a redshirt in hopes of the team going to a lousy pizza bowl. Going to a bowl, any bowl will help with recruiting. It is not like Minnesota attracts the top talented players Alabama does; we need to work to get our recruits. A bowl game will attract more players to our program. But, why bother with facts. At least that appears to be Mr. Souhan's approach when he is writing about Gopher football.

It is funny that if this was such an obvious act of desperation by Kill as Souhan put it, that he wouldn't have written about it after Nelson's first game at Wisconsin. Of course giving the benefit of the doubt, maybe he didn't watch that one. No, it is more likely that our college football genius was looking for something negative to write about and thought with Nelson's big game garnering attention that he could twist the facts in this situation so he would look like a clever writer. There is nothing he likes better than sticking it to the Gophers. One thing I know, the easy road in writing is to take the negative path. The most challenging is to write about the positive, especially when a team is losing. It would be refreshing to see Mr. Souhan take this approach, but that would require effort, which is something we have seen very little of from this professional journalist.

Enjoyed your 'funny-insulting' format, in contrast to my 'angry-insulting' format.

That only proves two things: He reads his e-mail and he certainly reads Gopherhole!:)

GL, I agree with yout about Scoggins. I'd say the same thing about Jeff Shelman (when he covered the Gophers), Phil Miller and Amelia, too. And that's not saying I agree with everything they write/wrote.

Souhan? Not so much. He's a condascending, arrogant (you know what).

Couldn't agree with you more - we're very lucky to have great writers like the ones you listed at the Strib. All very talented, and good at their craft.

Reply tweet suggestion: "Why are there more STrib columnists that negatively write about the Gophers without attending practices or games."

Yeah, Gopher Bandanna Guy, I agree with your letter, but the problem is Souhan is just a lazy hack. I completely agree with GopherLady that Scoggins is a good writer - well informed and thoughtful. And by all accounts a decent guy too.

But it's my personal policy to just never read Souhan. His articles follow a formula:
inflammatory opener
stupid one-liner that shows how clever he thinks he is
a bunch of boring blather that perfectly reflects the average opinion of low-information sports fans
a dumb closer, that may or may not be an attempt to be funny

This article followed his usual script to a T. Unfortunately, I broke my policy of never reading Souhan because it was an article on my favorite team and I thought there was a chance Souhan had done an interview or somehow learned at least 1 new interesting nugget of information about my beloved Gophers. Nope. It was a big fat zero of a column. Uninteresting and unthoughtful, it was as though Souhan was willfully trying not to think about possible answers to questions he raised.

May I never read another Souhan article again, even if it's on my favorite subject.

Reply tweet suggestion: "Why are there more STrib columnists that negatively write about the Gophers without attending practices or games."

Agree... as the saying goes, Guys like Souhan try to build themselves up by stepping on the back of others.

Tweet follow up:

Reply from @JTorto40: @SouhanStrib I've got a free seat for you next to me vs. Mich. Chance for you to have a civil talk with a whiny fan, maybe land a free beer.

Offer's been laid out there. Ball in his court.

Today's column, which has elicited much anger from Gophers fans. Both of them.

Joining 1500espn shortly to wonder why there are more Gopher fans who whine than attend games.

He's saying that Kill panicked in the middle of the season, a desperation move, just to go to play at a Little Cesar's bowl in front of 18 fans.

Don't these comments sound like they came from someone in junior high?

I wonder if he knows it's not possible for us to play in the Little Caesar's Bowl.

WOW.

"Today's column, which has elicited much anger from Gophers fans. Both of them." :rolleyes:

He should be fired for not doing his job. His job is to write articles that create interest and sell papers. How tunnel-visioned of him to write for only 2 people. No wonder, the newspaper business is failing!

Jim Souhan has a long career of being an insulting and talentless writer. He is an embarrasment to the Twin Cities. Here is just a quick recap of some of his antics aimed elsewhere (so you can see I'm not just coming from a Gopher bias).

#1: He wrote a really insulting article about the Oklahoma City Thunder. It was called "Don't Act Like an Okie". He essentially calls them hicks for all wearing the same color shirt (like a "Gold Out"), for standing during the games, for chanting "Beat LA", and because fans gathered in a pavilion outside of the arena to watch the playoff games on TV. Yep, how "hickish" of those people. But it followed his formula: (1) Illogical Attention Grabbing Headline; (2) Unresearched drivel ; (3) Insult in hopes of garnering clicks. He can't write a decent article, so he resorts to this. Here is a response by an OK Thunder Blog to his nonsense....

http://www.welcometoloudcity.com/20...ortswriters-trying-to-get-views-a-response-to

#2: He was chosen by Deadspin in 2005 in a segment of "Why Your Hometown Columnsit Sucks". It's essentially mocking Souhan for just being the idiot that he is. They have 1 good line in talking about Souhan. "You know when you're arguing with Steinbrenner, and Stienbrenner comes off as the rational one, it's time to step back and take stock in your life". The article mocks a few other horrible Souhan takes.

http://deadspin.com/135924/why-your-hometown-columnist-sucks-jim-souhan

#3: His ridiculously dumb take on the Gopher - Xavier NCAA tournament game in 2009. First, he ripped on the Gophers and said they shouldn't have made the tourney (ok, that can be argued), but then he argues that now that they are in, they are favorite over Xavier (despite Xavier being an 6 seed and us being an 11) because : (1) Tubby makes more money than their coach; (2) We play in the Big 10; and (3) We beat Butler and Butler beat them. Wow. He then rips on the Xavier team as not being very good. After the game, the Xavier coach mentions being insulted by an article by Souhan. Souhan writes a follow up article, mocking the Coach of Xavier. He essentially mocks the Xavier Coach and makes fun of his ability as a non-big time coach. That coach went on to the Sweet 16 that year (and last year) and has never won less than 23 games. Oh....for a bonus, Souhan also finished the article with a predicition (2009)...Tubby will move on to another school within 15 months. Good one Jim!!!

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/88678802.html

This list could keep going and going....

And speaking of sportswriting, can we please finally throw the weary and hyperbolic metaphor "under the bus" under the bus? It needs to join "dial up", "skill set", "step up", "cheap shot", "crunch time", "pick six", "three and out", "one and done", "bucket of baseballs", "110 per cent", "diss", and "props" on the scrap heap of never-clever but nevertheless mindlessly repeated sports cliches.

Top Bottom