Email from Tubby to the Barnyard

"I don't have any children but I try to show some respect towards those people who do and their children, especially since they are fellow Gopher fans."

I second that. Pretty simple, really. Not saying I never use the F-bomb, but I have the common sense to know when not to use it. At work and when kids are around are at the top of the list. That's not PC, that's common decency & respect for others around you. Is it impossible to jeer or ride someone without using profanity? I think it is, and I think our students are plenty smart enough (they've proven that by not attending Wisconsin) to be up to the task.

I'd be willing to bet there was more thought before sending the email than there was before the chant.

I would sure hope so, it takes longer to type the first sentence of that email than it does for a pissed off student section to start one of those chants. That's the thing, it's not something a student thinks about, trust me. And if no thought goes into it, one silly email isn't going to stop it. If he really really cares that much, take the mic ala Bob Huggins during the middle of the game and say something about it. If anything would help, that MIGHT, but I still doubt it.

Who sits there thinking...Wow if I say this am I going to offend the parent of an 8 year old? Or...I wonder if this will shed a bad light on our program being heard on national TV? Sorry to burst your little bubble but absolutely no one thinks that at all. In fact, most people in the section were laughing hysterically as people texted in saying you could hear the chant loud and clear on TV.

I'm not saying it's right or it's cool to swear in front of families or little kids, but that's the nature of the beast. If you take your kid to a Gopher/BADger game, that's what you should come to expect. If you are judging a school's reputation on a student section swearing in a huge game against their biggest rival, then you have bigger problems...Basically my point is you can all complain and complain but it's not going to do a damn thing. If anything an email like that encourages the behavior to continue.

They could always resort to charging more than $6.50 per ticket for students. Maybe that would weed out the riff raff.

Man, when I was a student, we only got tickets at 1/2 off.

Who sits there thinking...Wow if I say this am I going to offend the parent of an 8 year old? Or...I wonder if this will shed a bad light on our program being heard on national TV? Sorry to burst your little bubble but absolutely no one thinks that at all. In fact, most people in the section were laughing hysterically as people texted in saying you could hear the chant loud and clear on TV.

...Basically my point is you can all complain and complain but it's not going to do a damn thing. If anything an email like that encourages the behavior to continue.

This defense is exactly the reason the e-mail was sent out. Assuming that the chant was a spontaneous act and that no one thought about how it would be received, Tubby’s message is that he doesn’t like it, doesn’t approve of it and that, in his opinion, it’s embarrassing to him, the University and the student body. You assert that the students may now be more likely to chant profanity because someone has expressed disapproval. There is certainly little that Tubby or the U can do to stop you. But if you do it again, you can’t say it was done without knowing how it would be received. Indeed, it sounds like you are more likely to do it so you can show the coach that you don’t care what he thinks or respect him enough to honor his wishes in this regard. Maybe you should just chant “F___ Tubby” and get it over with. Better yet, maybe you should just stick with “I don’t care if it embarrasses the basketball coach and makes the University look bad in the eyes of some, I was worked up and thought it was funny.” That would be a lot more intellectually honest.

I would sure hope so, it takes longer to type the first sentence of that email than it does for a pissed off student section to start one of those chants. That's the thing, it's not something a student thinks about, trust me. And if no thought goes into it, one silly email isn't going to stop it. If he really really cares that much, take the mic ala Bob Huggins during the middle of the game and say something about it. If anything would help, that MIGHT, but I still doubt it.

I'm not saying it's right or it's cool to swear in front of families or little kids, but that's the nature of the beast. If you take your kid to a Gopher/BADger game, that's what you should come to expect. If you are judging a school's reputation on a student section swearing in a huge game against their biggest rival, then you have bigger problems...Basically my point is you can all complain and complain but it's not going to do a damn thing. If anything an email like that encourages the behavior to continue.

Rationalize much?

"At a frat party it is hillarious, when families with 9 year olds are present, it is just inappropriate."

My thoughts exactly.

I have no doubt Tubby was behind and endorsed the letter -- he's a classy guy that wouldn't want the F-bomb being tossed about in front of children in attendance -- but I also have no doubt someone else wrote it. That's PR's job, to write releases.

When it comes through the TV, you can't even stay home to avoid it. That is when it is a real problem.

This defense is exactly the reason the e-mail was sent out. Assuming that the chant was a spontaneous act and that no one thought about how it would be received, Tubby’s message is that he doesn’t like it, doesn’t approve of it and that, in his opinion, it’s embarrassing to him, the University and the student body. You assert that the students may now be more likely to chant profanity because someone has expressed disapproval. There is certainly little that Tubby or the U can do to stop you. But if you do it again, you can’t say it was done without knowing how it would be received. Indeed, it sounds like you are more likely to do it so you can show the coach that you don’t care what he thinks or respect him enough to honor his wishes in this regard. Maybe you should just chant “F___ Tubby” and get it over with. Better yet, maybe you should just stick with “I don’t care if it embarrasses the basketball coach and makes the University look bad in the eyes of some, I was worked up and thought it was funny.” That would be a lot more intellectually honest.

Agreed, except for the bold part.

That's the thing, it's not something a student thinks about, trust me.

Hey, now we're making some progress!! Eleven steps to go!

I'm not saying it's right or it's cool to swear in front of families or little kids, but that's the nature of the beast. If you take your kid to a Gopher/BADger game, that's what you should come to expect.

Now there's an excellent point. You seem really intelligent.

If anything an email like that encourages the behavior to continue.

Now I understand! You are 17 months old, just like my daughter. She does the same thing when I ask her nicely to stop doing something.

My kids weren't with me at the Gopher game against Wisco because it would have kept them up too late. However I do know my kids can discern right from wrong. If they hear a swear word the first thing they would say is "they shouldn't say that." My kids don't swear. I don't swear in front of them.

So if you're telling me that your 7,8 or 9 yr old is going to start talking like a sailor because he's been to a few gopher games. This kid must be around a lot swearing already.

Or if it's just that you want to protect your kids from the swearing. Good luck! Your helicopter parenting is going to backfire in a big way. But at least when it does you'll have the student section at the u to blame.

Dear Barnyard members:

I want to express my sincere appreciation for your tremendous support this season. Our student section has created an electric atmosphere in the Barn all year.

We need to maintain the great home court advantage that you provide and continue to make the Barn one of the toughest arenas for visiting teams. However, we need to make sure that we are cheering with respect. "F--- the Badgers" and the chant directed at Coach Bo Ryan have no place in Williams Arena. Vulgar cheers do little to intimidate an opponent and reflect poorly on us.

We have a huge game on Wednesday night against the Purdue Boilermakers, the #3 team in the country, and we need you to keep us rolling towards the post-season. Your continued enthusiasm for our two remaining home games is vital but let's make sure that families and visiting fans see the way we support our team - with class!

Thank you for your loyal support. We will do our best to keep the momentum going and we hope you will continue to prove that you are the best fans in college basketball.

I know you will get the Barn rocking on Wednesday night!

Coach Tubby Smith

Are we sure this is from Tubby? Who is sm10389 and how did they get this? Wherever it came from I agree with it. Cheer loud and long but leave the F bombs at home.

What the students did during the Wisconsin game not only embarrassed themselves, they embarrassed the University of Minnesota in front of the entire country. If you don't think the NCAA will start monitoring this kind of thing in the future and take action to stop it if it gets out of hand, then you don't know the NCAA. It will be a very simple thing for them to empower the referee to award technical fouls against the home team if their fans engage in this immature and obscene behavior. I hope the NCAA takes action on this as soon as possible. This is just one more example of the declining standards of behavior in this country.

My kids weren't with me at the Gopher game against Wisco because it would have kept them up too late. However I do know my kids can discern right from wrong. If they hear a swear word the first thing they would say is "they shouldn't say that." My kids don't swear. I don't swear in front of them.

So if you're telling me that your 7,8 or 9 yr old is going to start talking like a sailor because he's been to a few gopher games. This kid must be around a lot swearing already.

Or if it's just that you want to protect your kids from the swearing. Good luck! Your helicopter parenting is going to backfire in a big way. But at least when it does you'll have the student section at the u to blame.

Thank you Squid, now myself and other parents can rest easy and realize that what is apparently culturally acceptable in public places will not at all effect how my kids speak and act. That is a load off.

If the trend toward the obscene continues in D1 college arenas, the NCAA will eventually step into the situation. 1) stopping games and giving warnings to the crowd, 2) calling technical fouls against the home team, 3) removing whole student sections from the game if the offenders are more than just a few, etc. College Basketball is big business. The NCAA will not let this trend grow much farther.

Also, the trend to rush the court after a big victory will last as long as someone doesn't get hurt. IF a death occurs from this "rush" (just like European soccer matches) then each arena will be forced to deal with security of the fans and players in a more active way.

As far as the first part goes I hope the NCAA could spend their resources on more important matters (I'll vote for more investigations into USC). Maybe its just me but it doesn't really seem like this is a new issue or that it is any worse than it ever has been. The Bo Ryan chant was more frontal than what we've usually heard at Minnesota but it seems like these sorts of chants have been going on at arenas for as long as I can remember.

ss

"I don't have any children but I try to show some respect towards those people who do and their children, especially since they are fellow Gopher fans."

I second that. Pretty simple, really. Not saying I never use the F-bomb, but I have the common sense to know when not to use it. At work and when kids are around are at the top of the list. That's not PC, that's common decency & respect for others around you. Is it impossible to jeer or ride someone without using profanity? I think it is, and I think our students are plenty smart enough (they've proven that by not attending Wisconsin) to be up to the task.

+1

At the risk of stereotyping....

How about this...

Everybody who is OVER the age of 28 or 30 and is defending the chant, raise their hands?

In all seriousness, I don't know if I'm going to defend or condemn the chant, it's not my call. You have to conduct yourself based on your own personal barometer. I agree with Colin Cowherd's take on behavior at a ball game. According to Herd, there are two types of guys at a game; there's guy with a job (probably includes students) and there's guy with a career. Guy with a job chants "F'k Bo Ryan"; guy with a career likely does not.

I also have to say that on TV, I really couldn't make out what the chant was, other than "XXXX Bo Ryan". Maybe I'm just getting deaf in my over-30 age.

Why are those that are condemning the chant only citing children's sensitive ears? What about mothers, fathers, grandparents, etc.? Put it this way; if you were one of those chanting F'k Bo Ryan, I'd be willing to bet that your mom and dad aren't THAT old. If you would feel comfortable chanting that in your mom's face, I say by all means, go for it. Knock yourself out.

Lastly, regardless of who may have actually WRITTEN the email, if your soon-to-be Hall of Fame head coach asks you to behave with a little more class, why would you have a problem obliging him?

Guy with a job chants "F'k Bo Ryan"; guy with a career likely does not.

There's a carpenter I know of who may disagree with that. ;)

How about this #1: If you're afraid to type the word into a posting on this board for fear of what the mods might do to you, then it's probably not a good word to have the student section chant at a game.

How about this #2: I've received word that if the student section starts that chant again, the the green man is going to start humping the support beam again.

I think chanting the F word lacks creativity and makes us look dumb. Lets come up with something with meaning or something funny. Lets drop the Bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# chant on a bad foul too its predictable and I think its annoying. We can come up with something better.

I'm 40 with a career.

That said, I am fine with the profanity in special extreme occassions. Bo Ryan is one of those occassions. If this became a regular chant I wouldd say it was boring.

Students are supposed to provide enthusiasm and provide a home court advantage.

Good work students.

PS The surest way to get students to continue is by telling them they shouldn't do it.

How about this #1: If you're afraid to type the word into a posting on this board for fear of what the mods might do to you, then it's probably not a good word to have the student section chant at a game.

How about this #2: I've received word that if the student section starts that chant again, the the green man is going to start humping the support beam again.

Ha ha...good point! :)

Oh please won't SOMEBODY think of the children?

This thread is Helen Lovejoy.

You're really, seriously worried about kids under 10 hearing one swear word, yet you're not concerned that they're out this late on a school night?

Priorities are in the wrong place. There shouldn't have been any children there with that start time.

Nate, you are kind of struggling with the big picture.

A) You could hear it at home
B) Not all Gopher-Wiscy games will be night games

Let me know if I can help anymore.

Oh please won't SOMEBODY think of the children?

This thread is Helen Lovejoy.

You're really, seriously worried about kids under 10 hearing one swear word, yet you're not concerned that they're out this late on a school night?

Priorities are in the wrong place. There shouldn't have been any children there with that start time.
It's not your job to parent everyone else's children. And this isn't just about children. It's about common decency. Have you ever looked around the Barn? A lot of women in there that are my Grandmother's age. Maybe some of them were chanting along, but I'm guessing just as many were very uncomfortable hearing that.

And its not just about children. Many 'adults' are also offended. It's offensive and it is not 'needed'.

Is going to the Barn or watching on Tv less of an experience if no one is yelling f**k.

Be rude, be crude but don't use f**k.

I understand the big picture.

You're missing the BIGGER picture.

Of all the screwed up, terrible, disgusting things that happen in this word, the F word is ranked about #23489023840923804 in the list.

Boobs in the Super Bowl, F words during a basketball game. Yet let's all buy shoot 'em up video games for our kids and watch gratuitous violence on network television.

Priorities are misplaced.

Nobody has ever died of the F word.

Of all the screwed up, terrible, disgusting things that happen in this word, the F word is ranked about #23489023840923804 in the list.

Boobs in the Super Bowl, F words during a basketball game. Yet let's all buy shoot 'em up video games for our kids and watch gratuitous violence on network television.

Nobody has ever died of the F word.[/QUOTE]

No one has ever died from 'not using' it either. So why offend fellow Gopher fans, young and old alike.

Nobody has ever died of the F word.
You're reaching. Want to try and tie 9/11 into this too?

I detest the argument of "why are people spending time worrying about 'X' when 'Y' is going on?!?"

It's a stupid argument.

Nobody ever said that multiple priorities can't be tackled at once.

Example: It's not like Tubby sending out a letter is stopping OJ from finding the real killer...

Some day in the future when some of you have kids (or nieces or nephews) of your own and bring them to a Gopher game, call me so that I can sit behind you. We'll run a little test. I'll sit right behind you and holler, "Hey Izzo, you stupid "fu*ker," or "Hey Badgers, you pieces of dog sh*t," or "Hey Tubby, why the f*ck aren't you calling a time out?"

I'm sure you'd have no problem with that, right? You'll feel quite a bit differently when you're not 20 anymore and have figured out that you're not going to conquer ther world. I'm quite sure of that.

Top Bottom