Email from Tubby to the Barnyard

sm10389

Reaction score
Dear Barnyard members:

I want to express my sincere appreciation for your tremendous support this season. Our student section has created an electric atmosphere in the Barn all year.

We need to maintain the great home court advantage that you provide and continue to make the Barn one of the toughest arenas for visiting teams. However, we need to make sure that we are cheering with respect. "F--- the Badgers" and the chant directed at Coach Bo Ryan have no place in Williams Arena. Vulgar cheers do little to intimidate an opponent and reflect poorly on us.

We have a huge game on Wednesday night against the Purdue Boilermakers, the #3 team in the country, and we need you to keep us rolling towards the post-season. Your continued enthusiasm for our two remaining home games is vital but let's make sure that families and visiting fans see the way we support our team - with class!

Thank you for your loyal support. We will do our best to keep the momentum going and we hope you will continue to prove that you are the best fans in college basketball.

I know you will get the Barn rocking on Wednesday night!

Coach Tubby Smith

Dear Barnyard members:

However, we need to make sure that we are cheering with respect. "F--- the Badgers" and the chant directed at Coach Bo Ryan have no place in Williams Arena. Vulgar cheers do little to intimidate an opponent and reflect poorly on us.

Ok, everyone that defended the cheer, does this do enough to validate those of us that thought the cheer lacked class?

Show up early, stay late and be loud. Beat Purdue!!

I think it validates that enough people who think like you complained about the chant. Unfortunately for you, this e-mail probably increased the likelihood of a "F Purdue" or "F the Boilers." Let the kids have their vulgar chant for the rivals. Now it may go mainstream.

I have a feeling that University administration had a loving hand in this.

I think it validates that enough people who think like you complained about the chant. Unfortunately for you, this e-mail probably increased the likelihood of a "F Purdue" or "F the Boilers." Let the kids have their vulgar chant for the rivals. Now it may go mainstream.

ding, ding, ding

I'd be willing to bet a crisp $20 bill that Tubby didn't even write that email....

I'd be willing to bet a crisp $20 bill that Tubby didn't even write that email....

Guarantee someone from AD/admin wrote it, had the decency to send it to Tubby an hour before they sent it, and sent it out.

Next thing I can see happening is that I will receive an email from AD/admin asking me to please not drink so much beer in my own home while I'm watching the Gopher game. Bummer :(

Next thing I can see happening is that I will receive an email from AD/admin asking me to please not drink so much beer in my own home while I'm watching the Gopher game. Bummer :(

No, it will be to congratulate you for drinking beer and not driving. A time and a place for everything.

Dr., I'm sure if you went to the barn you wouldn't bring the Walmart girls with you.

Thank you to Tubby/AD/staff for writing this letter. That chant has no place in a public athletic stadium. And if the students at the U cannot come up with anything more original or intelligent, then our "barnyard" is as second class as our athletics lately.

Dear Barnyard members:

We need to maintain the great home court advantage that you provide and continue to make the Barn one of the toughest arenas for visiting teams. However, we need to make sure that we are cheering with respect. "F--- the Badgers" and the chant directed at Coach Bo Ryan have no place in Williams Arena. Vulgar cheers do little to intimidate an opponent and reflect poorly on us.

At a frat party it is hillarious, when families with 9 year olds are present, it is just inappropriate. That is all there is to it.

Thank you to Tubby/AD/staff for writing this letter. That chant has no place in a public athletic stadium. And if the students at the U cannot come up with anything more original or intelligent, then our "barnyard" is as second class as our athletics lately.

how about you take your 1 post and shut the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# up. whoever you are who decided to make a new acct for this

fdh.jpg

Tubby is clearly a fan of "A Christmas Story", as he used the "Eff dash dash dash" notation.

stock email guransheed

Maybe, Maybe not. Other coaches control their student sections, most notably Coach K. Tubby is not dumb, he realizes that he is the head of the program and a terrible student section reflects poorly on him. This combined with the fact that whenever anyone inside the college bball scene talks about Tubby 'class act' inevitably comes out of their mouth makes me think he does not want to be represented this way. Saying that it is a stock email, or written in the AD office and sent through him is nothing more than a weak excuse to try to dismiss this call to be a GOOD student section and justify innapropriate behavior.

"At a frat party it is hillarious, when families with 9 year olds are present, it is just inappropriate."

My thoughts exactly.

I have no doubt Tubby was behind and endorsed the letter -- he's a classy guy that wouldn't want the F-bomb being tossed about in front of children in attendance -- but I also have no doubt someone else wrote it. That's PR's job, to write releases.

Maybe, Maybe not. Other coaches control their student sections, most notably Coach K. Tubby is not dumb, he realizes that he is the head of the program and a terrible student section reflects poorly on him. This combined with the fact that whenever anyone inside the college bball scene talks about Tubby 'class act' inevitably comes out of their mouth makes me think he does not want to be represented this way. Saying that it is a stock email, or written in the AD office and sent through him is nothing more than a weak excuse to try to dismiss this call to be a GOOD student section and justify innapropriate behavior.

No matter who initiated or wrote it I'll guarantee that's how Tubby feels.

At a frat party it is hillarious, when families with 9 year olds are present, it is just inappropriate. That is all there is to it.
Exactly. The last time Wisconsin played at the dome, I had the pleasure of sitting in front of a few Badger fans who couldn't put a cap on the profanity. After they were asked to watch their language, their muted response was "this ain't the opera". No, it isn't. It's a football game with hundreds if not thousands of young children in attendance. Show a little class.

If the trend toward the obscene continues in D1 college arenas, the NCAA will eventually step into the situation. 1) stopping games and giving warnings to the crowd, 2) calling technical fouls against the home team, 3) removing whole student sections from the game if the offenders are more than just a few, etc. College Basketball is big business. The NCAA will not let this trend grow much farther.

Also, the trend to rush the court after a big victory will last as long as someone doesn't get hurt. IF a death occurs from this "rush" (just like European soccer matches) then each arena will be forced to deal with security of the fans and players in a more active way.

Maybe if Bo Ryan didn't whine so much we wouldn't have this issue?

Regardless, 4 letters shouldn't cause this much uproar.

I'd be more worried about you having your 9 year olds up past 10 pm on a school night than them hearing the F word.

It was nice to wake up and read that email and get my good laugh in for the morning.

Does he REALLY think that saying something is going to do anything? Does he think the students care? OOOOHHHHH Tubby said we shouldn't say F the Badgers or F Bo Ryan, you're right, let's just stop it....no.

All you PC people need to get off your high horses. No matter how much you complain about it its still going to happen. A lot. If you don't want your little kid to hear it and it's THAT big of a deal, don't take them to the Gopher/Badger game. It's the nature of the game and all the complaining or pleading in the world isn't going to change that, I promise you that much.

I'm sure this very talented, creative, and knowledgeable board can come up with some suggestions for cheers that don't include the f-inheimer for tonights game.

Maybe if Bo Ryan didn't whine so much we wouldn't have this issue?

Regardless, 4 letters shouldn't cause this much uproar.

I'd be more worried about you having your 9 year olds up past 10 pm on a school night than them hearing the F word.

I don't have any children but I try to show some respect towards those people who do and their children, especially since they are fellow Gopher fans.

You can almost guarantee this. E-mails asking the Badger students to stop Eat S**t, F**k You at football games only made it worse.

I'm sure this very talented, creative, and knowledgeable board can come up with some suggestions for cheers that don't include the f-inheimer for tonights game.

Rarely do we students chant anything with the F word unless it's the BADgers but after that prodding email don't be surprised if you hear something. That was so stupid to send out something like that...they just don't think before sending that kind of stuff do they?

Rarely do we students chant anything with the F word unless it's the BADgers but after that prodding email don't be surprised if you hear something. That was so stupid to send out something like that...they just don't think before sending that kind of stuff do they?

I'd be willing to bet there was more thought before sending the email than there was before the chant.

Top Bottom