Email from Tubby to the Barnyard

Ahh, Minnesotans.

Glad I moved.

You guys have the collective backbone of a slug.

I'll let you have fun worrying about semantics and "being offended."

This is getting ridiculous. If anyone thinks the student section is going to chant that about Matt Painter, Todd Lickliter, etc. then they are delusional. It was a one time occurrence where the stars aligned against our biggest rivals. I personally had zero problem with it because it was very easy to understand the circumstances.

It was clear that Tubby/the administration didn't like it so a letter like this was expected. It is also clear (at least to me) that our student section doesn't have enough collective hate of anyone else in the Big Ten for it to happen again (sans possibly once a year when the Badgers come to town....when they are good....when their coach is whining and cussing too...when our own season has been a little disappointing....).

Ahh, Minnesotans.

Glad I moved.

When I was in my early 20's I thought I had all the answers also. Don't worry, you'll grow out of it.

It was nice to wake up and read that email and get my good laugh in for the morning.

Does he REALLY think that saying something is going to do anything? Does he think the students care? OOOOHHHHH Tubby said we shouldn't say F the Badgers or F Bo Ryan, you're right, let's just stop it....no.

All you PC people need to get off your high horses. No matter how much you complain about it its still going to happen. A lot. If you don't want your little kid to hear it and it's THAT big of a deal, don't take them to the Gopher/Badger game. It's the nature of the game and all the complaining or pleading in the world isn't going to change that, I promise you that much.

You don't come off as being very smart. Just letting you know so you can change if you want to.

I was a prick fan when I was a student too. Then one day, the person behind me in a really deep voice said, "Shut up".

I turned around and saw Ross Huckleberg (sp?) standing above me. I grew up.

Ahh, Minnesotans.

Glad I moved.

Nate, you'd like the Documentary titled: F**K: A Documentary. Just Netflixed it, pretty funny/interesting for the most part.

I do think you are over-reacting though. Some people are offended by the chant, Tubby included. I don't care that much, but I can see their point. You seem to miss their point all together.

Ahh, Minnesotans.

Glad I moved.

Well, I'm glad you moved too F***face. You like that? Is that an appropriate response?

You're from Nebraska and you don't live here anymore. Since we're just a bunch if pussies, you can stop being a fellow "fan" too then. Go away and find a tough guy team to follow.

I love SS's test. I'll try that with you sometime. I've never seen anyone on this board with more "answers" than you, Nate. You're so haughty toward everyone. Sometimes you call out the proper idiots on this board. Lately, you are generally the idiot.

I dunno, we seem to want students to be more involved but only on our terms. It doesn't really work that way. If students get really worked up and are into the game, this stuff happens.

Personally, I think Tubby should have sent Bo Ryan an e-mail telling him that his non-stop yelling is an embarassment to the University of Wisconsin.

Once again the few want to control everybody else....

"I don't have any children but I try to show some respect towards those people who do and their children, especially since they are fellow Gopher fans."

I second that. Pretty simple, really. Not saying I never use the F-bomb, but I have the common sense to know when not to use it. At work and when kids are around are at the top of the list. That's not PC, that's common decency & respect for others around you. Is it impossible to jeer or ride someone without using profanity? I think it is, and I think our students are plenty smart enough (they've proven that by not attending Wisconsin) to be up to the task.

If you have such a problem with it, here's three easy fixes:
1. Don't go
2. Don't bring the kids
3. Go, bring the kids and explain to them that this is not behavior that you condone or tolerate, and repeating such behavior will not be tolerated and in fact, will bring severe punishment.

Number 3 worked for my parents and I hold a professional job and keep my profanities in check, I don't even swear at the games, so I think it worked. There is a reason they are called College "Kids", and the games are really for them. The atmosphere at Hockey games has really disappeared since the "U" eliminated all the fun cheers. So, you want Basketball to follow suit?
Is the profanity necessary? Not even slightly. Is it rampant? not even slightly again.
Some people did something you didn't like in a general way? Get over it.
If it becomes rampant or even one person in one section causes you a problem or swears at you directly, I have no problem with having them removed.
Rivals are rivals because of the passion the games create.
Do I fight for the words they used? No. I fight for their right to say them.
Rip away.

Some day in the future when some of you have kids (or nieces or nephews) of your own and bring them to a Gopher game, call me so that I can sit behind you. We'll run a little test. I'll sit right behind you and holler, "Hey Izzo, you stupid "fu*ker," or "Hey Badgers, you pieces of dog sh*t," or "Hey Tubby, why the f*ck aren't you calling a time out?"

I'm sure you'd have no problem with that, right? You'll feel quite a bit differently when you're not 20 anymore and have figured out that you're not going to conquer ther world. I'm quite sure of that.

Nope I will have no problem with that. If my kid doesn't know better than to not use those words at their age or at the wrong time, that's my problem. But please, be my guest...I'd love to see old boring SS yell that stuff, I'd be laughing my ass off.

Ahh, Minnesotans.

Glad I moved.

I'll let you have fun worrying about semantics and "being offended

Really?

Some day in the future when some of you have kids (or nieces or nephews) of your own and bring them to a Gopher game, call me so that I can sit behind you. We'll run a little test. I'll sit right behind you and holler, "Hey Izzo, you stupid "fu*ker," or "Hey Badgers, you pieces of dog sh*t," or "Hey Tubby, why the f*ck aren't you calling a time out?"

I'm sure you'd have no problem with that, right? You'll feel quite a bit differently when you're not 20 anymore and have figured out that you're not going to conquer ther world. I'm quite sure of that.

I love that idea. And to the people who are now questioning it, you're right. I could teach my kid what's right and what's not. That's exactly what I do and will continue to do. But does that mean it's appropriate behavior? Is there not simple common sense and decency involved when you are in a group of thousands of others human beings? Can you voice your displeasure in a different way?

To quote George Costanza, "You know...we're living in a SOCIETY!"

This is getting ridiculous. If anyone thinks the student section is going to chant that about Matt Painter, Todd Lickliter, etc. then they are delusional. It was a one time occurrence where the stars aligned against our biggest rivals. I personally had zero problem with it because it was very easy to understand the circumstances.

It was clear that Tubby/the administration didn't like it so a letter like this was expected. It is also clear (at least to me) that our student section doesn't have enough collective hate of anyone else in the Big Ten for it to happen again (sans possibly once a year when the Badgers come to town....when they are good....when their coach is whining and cussing too...when our own season has been a little disappointing....).

If this is all true, then fine I can live with that. I assume most people can. Today should be the end of this discussion. If it happens again tonight, or in any other game until at least 2012 when we play Wisconsin again, I would be embarassed and upset that we can't be better then that.

You don't come off as being very smart. Just letting you know so you can change if you want to.

I'm going to guess that I'm a hell of a lot smarter than you are or ever will be. Nice try though.

I am not sure if the issue is about intent or about vulgar words in delivery. If vulgarity, then use some euphemism or something. Say, the student section chant some non-sensical crap like "Bo Bo Ryan" at the next meeting, he will know what the students really want to say and the true meaning of the first Bo. Or, surprise him with an odd phrase like "Love Bo Ryan." Bo may even get ticked by the intent behind it.

I'm going to guess that I'm a hell of a lot smarter than you are or ever will be. Nice try though.

the smartest guy in ND is like being the smartest guy in Still water prison. Not that impressive....

Email From Don Lucia on 2/12/09:

Minnesota has long been known as having the best fans in college
hockey and that spirit was evident once again last weekend when you
helped make Mariucci Arena a tremendous atmosphere for our series
against Wisconsin. Our team is incredibly appreciative of your
support, but I must express my disappointment of the vulgar language
directed at the Wisconsin team.

We certainly don’t want Mariucci Arena to be an easy place for
visiting teams to play. However, such chants as “F--- the Badgers”
don’t belong in the college game. We often hear those types of chants
directed towards us when we visit other WCHA arenas and I’m saddened
when I hear our great fans going to that level. Adding vulgarity to
our cheers does little to intimidate the opponent, it only reflects
poorly on us.

Let’s keep the energy level high at Mariucci Arena as our team marches
towards the postseason. But let’s also keep it a place where families
and visiting fans see the way we support our Gophers by cheering with
class.

Thank you for your incredible support again this season. We have four
regular season home games left and, hopefully, several playoff games.
We’ll do our best on the ice and we hope you continue to do your best
to prove you’re the best fans in college hockey.

-Coach Don Lucia

Email From Don Lucia on 2/12/09:

Minnesota has long been known as having the best fans in college
hockey and that spirit was evident once again last weekend when you
helped make Mariucci Arena a tremendous atmosphere for our series
against Wisconsin. Our team is incredibly appreciative of your
support, but I must express my disappointment of the vulgar language
directed at the Wisconsin team.

We certainly don’t want Mariucci Arena to be an easy place for
visiting teams to play. However, such chants as “F--- the Badgers”
don’t belong in the college game. We often hear those types of chants
directed towards us when we visit other WCHA arenas and I’m saddened
when I hear our great fans going to that level. Adding vulgarity to
our cheers does little to intimidate the opponent, it only reflects
poorly on us.

Let’s keep the energy level high at Mariucci Arena as our team marches
towards the postseason. But let’s also keep it a place where families
and visiting fans see the way we support our Gophers by cheering with
class.

Thank you for your incredible support again this season. We have four
regular season home games left and, hopefully, several playoff games.
We’ll do our best on the ice and we hope you continue to do your best
to prove you’re the best fans in college hockey.

-Coach Don Lucia

this sure looks and sounds like the form letter that is sent out!! CYA!!!!

this sure looks and sounds like the form letter that is sent out!! CYA!!!!

Yes, you are right. It would have been much better if Tubby and Lucia had sent every student and season ticketholder a personalized, handwritten letter. The average IQ level in GopherHole continues its downward spiral - especially in Tubby's Barn.

It's a once a year chant. Let's move on. The students will do chants from time to time that have the potential to offend, it's been that way for awhile. When it becomes audible on TV, administration/Tubby has to send out a letter to save face.

IMO, although inappropriate, I can live with it once a year, in fact if I were a young student, I would try to make it a tradition when the badgers are in town. At some point during the first half start the chant, and then leave it alone til next year.

Wow........

I do think we get worked up over so very silly things....... We have a game to win tonight......

Now was it the first time I hear that word or the worst word I have hear.... NO

Is it a great teaching moment for the kids....... You bet

Was my 19 yr daughter at the game..... Yes...... I said to her....." you never would use a word like that" and she replied " I don't know what it is " With a smile..... She is a great girl and know right from wrong but I am sure she has probably used it sometime in her life but she is still a good kid......... And now she know that I think that the students could of done better but she know that I want the kid to be wound up and if that happens it happens.........

Now is it important for the Uof M to sent out the message that they did, important..... Yes ...... Do you think the coach has ever swore at a player....... I don't know about Tubby but many and many have........ But we have to keep the money coming in so keep every one happy......

Have I hear it at work Yes

Have I used it in my life Yes

Am I a bad guy No ( OK many would never agree ;)

Let go and yell our heads off and WIN a game tonight..........

This is silly to worry about...........

OH I think many of those grandmas there probably have said it too........ at least once just to try it out.......

KIDS being Kids................... I raised three kids that are in college and this thread or that email will not stop them from doing certain things...... Some far far worst.......

There are far worst things to worry about but someday those same kids will be in the camp that say " Those kids should not be doing that " Life does have a way or repeating itself ;)

NOW let hope the players play their best game, the coaches coach their best game and The Fans Cheer Their Best Game..........

Important stuff.......... GO BEAT PURDUE

"how about you take your 1 post and shut the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# up"!

Another intelligent U student I take it?

I'm saddened that those in support of this chant are saying things like "it's the nature of the beast" or "if you don't like don't bring your kids". Seriously, that's where we are in this world. Just throw up your hands or grin and bear it. Or don't bring kids to a college basketball game? Really?

Keep it up U students and your cheering section seats will be up for public sale before you know it. That would be terrible for the home court advantage and I've always enjoyed listening to the intelligent chants in the past. But keep that up and the $$ the NCAA and the U need coming in the door won't be put in jeopardy for a bunch of garbage chants.

Come on, get creative!!

ET

that chant is not one tenth as foul of language that kids hear in school starting in 6th grade. People just like to complain.

Well put...

If this is all true, then fine I can live with that. I assume most people can. Today should be the end of this discussion. If it happens again tonight, or in any other game until at least 2012 when we play Wisconsin again, I would be embarassed and upset that we can't be better then that.

My nomination for Post of the Day. Well said.

It is about respect for others and showing some class. Don't beleive for one minute that they can't do anything about it. It could be as simple as not broadcasting our games on national TV or it they could just walk up and throw you out of the game. It is a big deal and it is not only about little kids, a majority of the adults are offended, our coach was offended.

The games are not just for the students, don't be so self centered. It is a privilage for students to get such good tickets for such a low price. The taxpayers of this state subsidize those prices along with your tution. To think that you can just go ahead and act like jerks and pass it off as we just felt like it is very childish and irresponsible.

It is great to have the excitment of the students at the game, just show some respect for all of the other fans. I have heard those types of cheers at the badger home hockey games, but frankly I thought we had more class.

I dunno, we seem to want students to be more involved but only on our terms. It doesn't really work that way. If students get really worked up and are into the game, this stuff happens.

Personally, I think Tubby should have sent Bo Ryan an e-mail telling him that his non-stop yelling is an embarassment to the University of Wisconsin.

Line 2...great line... +2 on that.

Top Bottom