Eleven Warriors on Gophers: I see 8-4 as the floor and 10-2 as the ceiling.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Eleven Warriors:

I see 8-4 as the floor and 10-2 as the ceiling. Minnesota has scheduled well ooc. Losing to Michigan and @Wisconsin are the most likely loses and Iowa and another slip up in the conference could get them to 8-4. It will be harder with the defense taking a step back. It is hard to project a line in the B1G west because its hard to predict what vegas thinks of teams like Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Purdue. If I had to guess it would be between 8.5-9.5. This isn't a team I would want to bet on though, Tyler Johnson was dominant and the defense could be pretty porous against offenses competent at passing. The way they are built I can see Minnesota beating good teams but being upset to random teams. 9-3 seems reasonable. a line at 8 would be an over for me and a line at 10 would be an under.

Go Gophers!!

Outside of random events, yeah I think the defense is the key.

Who started the St-Juste is a 1 and done grad transfer rumor?

Don't count the Defense out. I think they have surprises in store. They have speed and length.

Last edited:

per Eleven Warriors:

I see 8-4 as the floor and 10-2 as the ceiling. Minnesota has scheduled well ooc. Losing to Michigan and @Wisconsin are the most likely loses and Iowa and another slip up in the conference could get them to 8-4. It will be harder with the defense taking a step back. It is hard to project a line in the B1G west because its hard to predict what vegas thinks of teams like Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Purdue. If I had to guess it would be between 8.5-9.5. This isn't a team I would want to bet on though, Tyler Johnson was dominant and the defense could be pretty porous against offenses competent at passing. The way they are built I can see Minnesota beating good teams but being upset to random teams. 9-3 seems reasonable. a line at 8 would be an over for me and a line at 10 would be an under.

Go Gophers!!

I'd be interesting in reading their reasoning for the bolded part.

If you read the whole article, he has some off-base assumptions about the defense (secondary in particular). Thought St. Juste was out of eligibility and doesn't have Nubin beating out Swenson.

I think the for me the defense is just a matter of getting to know and trust some new names. I held Winfield in such high esteem that I think taking a step back without him only makes sense, but I would love to be presently surprised at their potential upside. 10-2 seems about right!

I'm going full Fleck: Who's gonna beat us?

wisconsin, Iowa (until fleck beats them, they are better), Michigan, Purdue...just naming teams I think will be pretty good next year. I'm not saying they can't go 11-1. With the defense they'll have, I don't see it. I hope I'm wrong.

I can just tell you their reasoning:
Minnesota lost Winston DeLattiboudere, Sam Renner, Micah Dew-Treadway, Cater Coughlin, and Thomas Barber.

That's basically their enter defensive front.

They also lost their best play maker in AWJr.

I would be willing to bet a fair bit of money that Minnesota gets shredded in the run game this year while they're breaking in a defensive front that is essentially entirely Sophomores with little to no playing time.

Last edited:

I can just tell you their reasoning:
Minnesota lost Winston DeLattiboudere, Sam Renner, Micah Drew-Treadway, Cater Coughlin, and Thomas Barber.

That's basically their enter defensive front.

They also lost their best play maker in AWJr.

I would be willing to bet a fair bit of money that Minnesota gets shredded in the run game this year while they're breaking in a defensive front that is essentially entirely Sophomores with little to no playing time.

Well, according to this, Dew-Treadway has one more season of eligibility. Maybe I missed an announcement that he decided to move on, though.

"OVERVIEW: Transferred to Minnesota after graduating from Notre Dame. Has one season of eligibility left with the Gophers (2020-21) • enrolled at Minnesota in January 2019."

In addition to Dew-Treadway, they have Schad, Teague, Cheney at defensive tackle. Those guys all have seen pretty extensive playing time.

At end, Renner and Coughlin were the Gophers' best, most consistent pass rushers. But I like Boye Mafe a lot. I think he may equal or even surpass Coughlin. And I believe the staff is pretty high on Jah Joyner.

At linebacker, Oliver and Sori-Marin are impressive (in my opinion) and they, too, have already played quite a few meaningful snaps.

Cornerback: Coney Durr, Terrell Smith, St-Juste, Kiondre Thomas... that's quality and depth.

Safety: Howden (who had an excellent 2019), Nubin, Sapp, Swenson.

I'm not at all worried about the defense. This roster is actually deep and talented on defense. Every team has lost quality players. We'll be very good again next season... whenever it's played.

But if you're "willing to bet quite a bit of money," Vegas has set the over-under for wins at 9, I believe. You have an opportunity.

• That was my miss on Dew-Treadway
  • There's no way to bet on defensive performance over the course of a season
  • You asked why they said they think the Gopher defense will be porous, and I answered; if you don't like the answer then that's your opinion and you're welcome to it

• That was my miss on Dew-Treadway
  • There's no way to bet on defensive performance over the course of a season
  • You asked why they said they think the Gopher defense will be porous, and I answered; if you don't like the answer then that's your opinion and you're welcome to it

Will the defense be "porous" enough, in your opinion, to keep the team under 9 wins?

If so, you have a money-making opportunity. Just sayin'.

Well, according to this, Dew-Treadway has one more season of eligibility. Maybe I missed an announcement that he decided to move on, though.

"OVERVIEW: Transferred to Minnesota after graduating from Notre Dame. Has one season of eligibility left with the Gophers (2020-21) • enrolled at Minnesota in January 2019."

In addition to Dew-Treadway, they have Schad, Teague, Cheney at defensive tackle. Those guys all have seen pretty extensive playing time.

At end, Renner and Coughlin were the Gophers' best, most consistent pass rushers. But I like Boye Mafe a lot. I think he may equal or even surpass Coughlin. And I believe the staff is pretty high on Jah Joyner.

At linebacker, Oliver and Sori-Marin are impressive (in my opinion) and they, too, have already played quite a few meaningful snaps.

Cornerback: Coney Durr, Terrell Smith, St-Juste, Kiondre Thomas... that's quality and depth.

Safety: Howden (who had an excellent 2019), Nubin, Sapp, Swenson.

I'm not at all worried about the defense. This roster is actually deep and talented on defense. Every team has lost quality players. We'll be very good again next season... whenever it's played.

But if you're "willing to bet quite a bit of money," Vegas has set the over-under for wins at 9, I believe. You have an opportunity.
Yeah I'm with you. IMO, the only one you're not replacing on that defense is Winfield. But Coughlin played majority hurt last year, and college players you usually seem some exponential growth from at least a couple guys. Especially the way PJ has expedited this program. Kamal and Barber were solid but Sori-Marin was solid when Kamal was out. I'd hope one or two of those backers make a jump.

I love St. Juste. I think he's a star and should be very good this year. Durr coming back. Howden. D-Backs should be better all around, just lost star power at safety there. Also heard good things about Mafe (We'll see).

All-in-all I really do expect the defense to be better than it was last year. Sports reference has the D ranked 37th nationally last year. Which is pretty good still. Offense at 22nd.

wisconsin, Iowa (until fleck beats them, they are better), Michigan, Purdue...just naming teams I think will be pretty good next year. I'm not saying they can't go 11-1. With the defense they'll have, I don't see it. I hope I'm wrong.
Think Purdue will step up their pass defense against us?

Where have I ever said that?

Right here:

"I would be willing to bet a fair bit of money that Minnesota gets shredded in the run game this year while they're breaking in a defensive front that is essentially entirely Sophomores with little to no playing time."

So I'll ask again: will the defense "get shredded" so often that the team will fail to win 9 games?

Porous = shredded. Wouldn't you say?

Top Bottom