Eleven Warriors on Gophers: I see 8-4 as the floor and 10-2 as the ceiling.

Right here:

"I would be willing to bet a fair bit of money that Minnesota gets shredded in the run game this year while they're breaking in a defensive front that is essentially entirely Sophomores with little to no playing time."

So I'll ask again: will the defense "get shredded" so often that the team will fail to win 9 games?

Porous = shredded. Wouldn't you say?

I think the defense is going to be bad. That doesn't imply that I think the Gophers will win fewer than 9 games.

I think the defense is going to be bad. That doesn't imply that I think the Gophers will win fewer than 9 games.

You think the defense will get 'shredded'... but the team will still win 9+ games.

I suppose that's possible; the offense will certainly be formidable.

Think Purdue will step up their pass defense against us?

You’re right. That 7 point gopher win when Morgan played the game of his life, their QB and #1 receiver missed most of the game erased all doubt on what would happen in 2020.

You’re right. That 7 point gopher win when Morgan played the game of his life, their QB and #1 receiver missed most of the game erased all doubt on what would happen in 2020.
Our offense played great that day. Defense not so much.

there QB and receiver has nothing to do with their passing defense unless they play defense to? but we still gonna beat them change my mind, its our time we finally ranked in the preseason even though our defense is gonna be shaky we got a lot of experience on offence coming back depending on if they will get preseason training on effectively. this summer is gonna be interesting for all teams

That game was not as close as the score. Purdue scored two garbage time TDs when they were down by 21 with 6 minutes left after recovering the first successful onside kick I've witnessed in several years.

That game was not as close as the score. Purdue scored two garbage time TDs when they were down by 21 with 6 minutes left after recovering the first successful onside kick I've witnessed in several years.

the OP said we couldn’t lose to purdue because of their passing defense. I just don’t see Morgan throwing for 396 and 4TDs with 2 incompletions. I hope I’m wrong.

We could certainly lose to Purdue, but at this point they aren’t any scarier than Nebraska, Illinois, MSU, or NW to me.

Purdue had problems in our game and all year beyond the 8th year QB being injured in the game last year, and the former DC playing his stumpy, short, yet slow son at LB in the Big Ten. The often terminated DC they hired for this year has big issues as well, and I am still not sold on the overall Brohm approach in the Big Ten.

The back up QB played better vs. Minnesota than Sindelar? had been playing.

That game at Purdue was not a close game, at least for anyone that actually watched the game. Message board rival fans like to cite the 38-31 win as some failure for Minnesota for some reason.

Maybe Purdue will rebound this year, and Brohm is not a one hit wonder, but I am not too worried about beating them this year at TCF. Brohm probably should have taken the Louisville job.

Last edited:

the OP said we couldn’t lose to purdue because of their passing defense. I just don’t see Morgan throwing for 396 and 4TDs with 2 incompletions. I hope I’m wrong.

He pretty much replicated that performance against Penn State, a much better team than Purdue.
Against #4 Penn State: 18 of 20 for 339 yards, 3 TDS
Morgan shredded quality teams like Auburn as well.

So, yeah... not sure why you wouldn't expect more of the same, but... carry on.

Again, Vegas has set the over/under on wins at 9. Whether you're feeling confident that the Gophers will tumble, or if you're feeling strongly that the Gophers will excel...

... either way, time to get a bet down and make some money!

Wasn't that the game where an onside kick bounced off Seth Green's facemask?

Nah... that game wasn't as close as the score would indicate.
I agree it wasn't as close as the score indicated, but the defense was definitely sloppy.

1. I think Tanner Morgan played so well compared to what Gophers fans are used to, that some can't help but be weary of it being a fluke. It's not a fluke. He isn't some kid loaded with so much raw talent that he's coasted to where he's at. His hard work has paid huge dividends and will continue to do so.

2. I expect the defense will take 4-5 games to click, but will end the year better than last years crew. DB's may not be quite as solid without Winfield, obviously, but there is a lot of ability there to develop. St. Juste, (within the parameters of his own abilities) may be every bit as talented as Antoine Jr. is. I think most here would agree that for whatever various reasons, the LB group was the one that noticeably under performed last year. Is someone going to step up and replace 'peak' Kamal Martin? Probably not yet this year, but we didn't have that last year either. The real question is the line. Losing lots of leadership and solid veteran play, but i think there's likely a higher ceiling with some of the younger guys who appear a little more athletic than last year's crew. Love Carter, but he could play kinda stiff at times and it was painful to see him get driven out wide (I could be thinking of another game, but Iowa comes to mind) on a play with seemingly little agility to make a move through or past it. The run game will probably suffer for a while, but i'm hoping we'll see a little more pressure in the face of the QB. A little less plug, a little more pursuit.

Where do you see this quote I dont see anything about the op saying we are gonna win or lose because of the passing defense

1. I think Tanner Morgan played so well compared to what Gophers fans are used to, that some can't help but be weary of it being a fluke. It's not a fluke. He isn't some kid loaded with so much raw talent that he's coasted to where he's at. His hard work has paid huge dividends and will continue to do so.

2. I expect the defense will take 4-5 games to click, but will end the year better than last years crew. DB's may not be quite as solid without Winfield, obviously, but there is a lot of ability there to develop. St. Juste, (within the parameters of his own abilities) may be every bit as talented as Antoine Jr. is. I think most here would agree that for whatever various reasons, the LB group was the one that noticeably under performed last year. Is someone going to step up and replace 'peak' Kamal Martin? Probably not yet this year, but we didn't have that last year either. The real question is the line. Losing lots of leadership and solid veteran play, but i think there's likely a higher ceiling with some of the younger guys who appear a little more athletic than last year's crew. Love Carter, but he could play kinda stiff at times and it was painful to see him get driven out wide (I could be thinking of another game, but Iowa comes to mind) on a play with seemingly little agility to make a move through or past it. The run game will probably suffer for a while, but i'm hoping we'll see a little more pressure in the face of the QB. A little less plug, a little more pursuit.

Great Post.... I remember last year at this time being laughed at, or at least questioned for assuming that Tanner Morgan would be the #1 QB coming into 2019. More than a few claimed the job was going to Annexstad.

He pretty much replicated that performance against Penn State, a much better team than Purdue.
Against #4 Penn State: 18 of 20 for 339 yards, 3 TDS
Morgan shredded quality teams like Auburn as well.

So, yeah... not sure why you wouldn't expect more of the same, but... carry on.

Again, Vegas has set the over/under on wins at 9. Whether you're feeling confident that the Gophers will tumble, or if you're feeling strongly that the Gophers will excel...

... either way, time to get a bet down and make some money!
I would prefer everyone who feels strongly the Gophers won't get there go to Vegas and bet insane sums of money so the line moves to 8.5 or the moneyline evens up so I can bet the over. Thanks all!

Purdue had problems in our game and all year beyond the 8th year QB being injured in the game last year, and the former DC playing his stumpy, short, yet slow son at LB in the Big Ten. The often terminated DC they hired for this year has big issues as well, and I am still not sold on the overall Brohm approach in the Big Ten.

The back up QB played better vs. Minnesota than Sindelar? had been playing.

That game at Purdue was not a close game, at least for anyone that actually watched the game. Message board rival fans like to cite the 38-31 win as some failure for Minnesota for some reason.

Maybe Purdue will rebound this year, and Brohm is not a one hit wonder, but I am not too worried about beating them this year at TCF. Brohm probably should have taken the Louisville job.

I wouldn’t even say Brohm has had one hit yet, not at Purdue. Let’s also not forget they had one of the worst running games in the nation last year.

I predict 2020 will be different than 2019 in ways we can’t foresee right now. That said, these “ceiling and floor” articles always grate on me. Those obviously aren’t the ceiling or the floor.

Morgan definitely lit it up last year. No argument there.

But..."Past performance is no guarantee of future results"

I think the Gophers realistically win 10 regular season games. I don't see 11 or 12. I just don't trust our defense enough. If it takes Morgan putting up historically good games to do it, I don't trust that either. Can he do it? Yes. But there isn't a guarantee he does.

Morgan definitely lit it up last year. No argument there.

But..."Past performance is no guarantee of future results"

I think the Gophers realistically win 10 regular season games. I don't see 11 or 12. I just don't trust our defense enough. If it takes Morgan putting up historically good games to do it, I don't trust that either. Can he do it? Yes. But there isn't a guarantee he does.

QBs don't tend to regress all that much I don't think. If Morgans stats take a hit next year, I'm willing to bet the cause isn't likely to be Morgan.

The real risks are the folks who assume that a player will probabbly just get better with another season. That's never a sure thing.

QBs don't tend to regress all that much I don't think. If Morgans stats take a hit next year, I'm willing to bet the cause isn't likely to be Morgan.

The real risks are the folks who assume that a player will probabbly just get better with another season. That's never a sure thing.

I don’t think he’ll regress at all. But what he did against Purdue hasn’t been done by anyone in conference history. To think that because he did it, he’ll do it again, is stupid. (Not saying you think that)

stating the obvious - In order to win a football game, the offense has to score more points than the defense allows.

Defense allows 20 points; offense needs to score 21 to win.
Defense allows 34 points; offense needs to score 35 to win.

considering what the offense returns, I think the Gophers certainly have the potential to score a lot of points. so the defense doesn't have to be great. it just has to be good enough.

And if the Gophers have a lead in the 4th Qtr, we will see the Mo Show as Ibrahim pounds away behind the big boys in the OL for one of those wonderful 8- or 9-minute drives.

Early on, I would not be surprised to see some shootouts - 40-35 games or something like that. It will be up to Rossi to get the defense to improve over the course of the season.

stating the obvious - In order to win a football game, the offense has to score more points than the defense allows.

Defense allows 20 points; offense needs to score 21 to win.
Defense allows 34 points; offense needs to score 35 to win.

considering what the offense returns, I think the Gophers certainly have the potential to score a lot of points. so the defense doesn't have to be great. it just has to be good enough.

And if the Gophers have a lead in the 4th Qtr, we will see the Mo Show as Ibrahim pounds away behind the big boys in the OL for one of those wonderful 8- or 9-minute drives.

Early on, I would not be surprised to see some shootouts - 40-35 games or something like that. It will be up to Rossi to get the defense to improve over the course of the season.

That reminds me of a quote that, if memory serves, was attributed to Hayden Fry, when he was head coach at Iowa:

“In order to win games this year, we’re going to have to outscore the other team.”

Yeah, thanks for the insight, Coach Fry.

That reminds me of a quote that, if memory serves, was attributed to Hayden Fry, when he was head coach at Iowa:

“In order to win games this year, we’re going to have to outscore the other team.”

Yeah, thanks for the insight, Coach Fry.

Yogi: You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you.

Top Bottom