Edina's Deon Dorvil: "I want to be recruited by the Gophers"

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/175778?referrer_id=331171

Deon Dorvil, 5-foot-11 290 senior nose tackle from Edina, has helped lead the Hornets to a 2-0 start. Dorvil, who camped at Minnesota this summer, recently talked to Gopher Hole about his recruitment, his senior season and coming back from a torn ACL.

Gopher Hole: What college camps did you get a chance to attend this summer?

Deon Dorvil: I went to the Minnesota Gopher camp and after that, I did the NDSU camp and then I did the UND camp.

Gopher Hole: How do you think that you did in those camps?

Deon Dorvil: Those camps, I did pretty well. I try to turn up the heat. Keep the motion going. I try to turn it up a notch. Go past my boundaries. There is a lot of competition out there. I try to up my game. I show no weakness. No weakness.

Gopher Hole: How do you think that you did the Gopher camp, in particular?

Deon Dorvil: I think that I did excellent. I felt that I could get across the ball every play. I went across the ball one-on-one. I went past the guy, so I thought that I did excellent.

Gopher Hole: What things have you been really working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Deon Dorvil: Basically, I have been working on trying to stay low. Being explosive off the ball. Being quick. Being faster than the offensive lineman. I have to be careful about that because I don’t want to just shoot the gap. I am working on being fast off the ball, breaking out.

Gopher Hole: What do you see your strengths being as a football player?

Deon Dorvil: My strengths are that I stay low.

Gopher Hole: You suffered an injury last year. What has the recovery process been like?

Deon Dorvil: The injury was my ACL. Right now, I am feeling fine. I am about to get rid of the brace because I have been working hard this summer. I waited two months to just get on the field. Nothing is going to stop me now. I rehabbed for ten months, but I am back. That is not going to stop me.

Gopher Hole: I know that you are competitive kid. Was it tough to not be on the field with your teammates?

Deon Dorvil: It was very tough. I got really mad sometimes because my guy wasn’t really doing his job. I actually wanted to get on the field. I was hungry. I was really thirsty for it. I just took it out in the weight room. Getting bigger and stronger.

Gopher Hole: What colleges are you hearing from right now?

Deon Dorvil: They are contacting Bolt (head coach Reed Boltmann) right now. I told them that I am going to hold off for right now. I am trying to focus on the season. I am focusing on this right now. That step is next after I am done with this season. I am really focusing on this season, the here and now and worry about the future later.

Gopher Hole: You moved from Miami Northwestern to Edina for your sophomore season. What was the move like from Miami to Minnesota?

Deon Dorvil: It was huge adjustment. I had to get used to the weather and stuff like that, but I am used to it now and ready to go.

Gopher Hole: Do you have a school that you would love to hear from and be recruited by?

Deon Dorvil: Right now, I would say Iowa or Michigan, but the Gophers, I want to be recruited by the Gophers, too, but whatever comes. I am trying to shoot for the stars.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Deon Dorvil: Nothing now. I am not really hearing anything from any colleges. Last season, they wanted to wait until this upcoming season to see what I could do, so I hope that I hear more from schools.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that it is a case where they want to see how the knee is and make sure you are 100%?

Deon Dorvil: Yes. I believe so.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to try to go to some college games this fall?

Deon Dorvil: This year, yes. I will try to go to the Gophers again and whoever invites me, but I am not going to try to do too much because my coach said make it like a five limit and don’t overdo it.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought much about a possible college major?

Deon Dorvil: Probably culinary or math. I like coaching and I like math, too.

Gopher Hole: What got you into culinary?

Deon Dorvil: My mom. She taught me how to cook. She is a single mom and she taught me how to be independent.

Gopher Hole: Is your lack of height the knock on you? You are not as tallas some teams would want to see you as.

Deon Dorvil: Yes, but I am not letting that stop me. I am not going to let that bring me down. I am just going to try to work on me. I am just going to take that as a motivation and get better and be better and stay healthy and play as hard as I can.

Gopher Hole: What position are most schools looking at you playing in college?

Deon Dorvil: Nose guard

5-11....so what is the shortest Gopher on our O-Line? Kill likes big guys to run behind.

i kept getting an image of bart scott after taht patriots jets game while reading this. Hungry kid... hopefully he keeps working hard and gets an offer.

Anyone else think the way he answers questions is obnoxious? Repeating the same stupid point countless times in a different stupid way.

Anyone else think the way he answers questions is obnoxious? Repeating the same stupid point countless times in a different stupid way.

Physician, heal thyself:

Kill rarely says anything good about players or the status of the team.

It'd be nice if we could act like we've been there before, just once...Does anyone agree? I mean, its not like we won the rose bowl

What. A. Mess....

You ruined the poll by adding all of the above. Of course thats what we want. Out of all of them? Wisconsin. Shut up the cockiness

:cry: Get over it.

Today Malcolm got a tattoo on his neck. Decisions like this are just a glimpse into why he didn't make the traveling roster. He can barely write english words and seems pretty focused on his tough guy image.

You mean, like he's a high school kid who probably just gave one of his first interviews and was excited and just wanted to sound cool like we all did back in those days? Yes, I noticed that.

I want to be recruited by the U as well. You think a 33 year old guy who's 5-11 and weighs 185 like me has a chance? I play a mean DE...

I want to be recruited by the U as well. You think a 33 year old guy who's 5-11 and weighs 185 like me has a chance? I play a mean DE...

AT 5-11, 185 I am thinking you may be a bit small for a DE even if you have a great motor. Maybe focus more on DB or safety? Biggest question is if you have any eligibility left.....:cool02:

Can you run a 4.4?

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/175778?referrer_id=331171

Deon Dorvil, 5-foot-11 290 senior nose tackle from Edina, has helped lead the Hornets to a 2-0 start. Dorvil, who camped at Minnesota this summer, recently talked to Gopher Hole about his recruitment, his senior season and coming back from a torn ACL.

Gopher Hole: What college camps did you get a chance to attend this summer?

Deon Dorvil: I went to the Minnesota Gopher camp and after that, I did the NDSU camp and then I did the UND camp.

Gopher Hole: How do you think that you did in those camps?

Deon Dorvil: Those camps, I did pretty well. I try to turn up the heat. Keep the motion going. I try to turn it up a notch. Go past my boundaries. There is a lot of competition out there. I try to up my game. I show no weakness. No weakness.

Gopher Hole: How do you think that you did the Gopher camp, in particular?

Deon Dorvil: I think that I did excellent. I felt that I could get across the ball every play. I went across the ball one-on-one. I went past the guy, so I thought that I did excellent.

Gopher Hole: What things have you been really working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Deon Dorvil: Basically, I have been working on trying to stay low. Being explosive off the ball. Being quick. Being faster than the offensive lineman. I have to be careful about that because I don’t want to just shoot the gap. I am working on being fast off the ball, breaking out.

Gopher Hole: What do you see your strengths being as a football player?

Deon Dorvil: My strengths are that I stay low.

Gopher Hole: You suffered an injury last year. What has the recovery process been like?

Deon Dorvil: The injury was my ACL. Right now, I am feeling fine. I am about to get rid of the brace because I have been working hard this summer. I waited two months to just get on the field. Nothing is going to stop me now. I rehabbed for ten months, but I am back. That is not going to stop me.

Gopher Hole: I know that you are competitive kid. Was it tough to not be on the field with your teammates?

Deon Dorvil: It was very tough. I got really mad sometimes because my guy wasn’t really doing his job. I actually wanted to get on the field. I was hungry. I was really thirsty for it. I just took it out in the weight room. Getting bigger and stronger.

Gopher Hole: What colleges are you hearing from right now?

Deon Dorvil: They are contacting Bolt (head coach Reed Boltmann) right now. I told them that I am going to hold off for right now. I am trying to focus on the season. I am focusing on this right now. That step is next after I am done with this season. I am really focusing on this season, the here and now and worry about the future later.

Gopher Hole: You moved from Miami Northwestern to Edina for your sophomore season. What was the move like from Miami to Minnesota?

Deon Dorvil: It was huge adjustment. I had to get used to the weather and stuff like that, but I am used to it now and ready to go.

Gopher Hole: Do you have a school that you would love to hear from and be recruited by?

Deon Dorvil: Right now, I would say Iowa or Michigan, but the Gophers, I want to be recruited by the Gophers, too, but whatever comes. I am trying to shoot for the stars.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Deon Dorvil: Nothing now. I am not really hearing anything from any colleges. Last season, they wanted to wait until this upcoming season to see what I could do, so I hope that I hear more from schools.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that it is a case where they want to see how the knee is and make sure you are 100%?

Deon Dorvil: Yes. I believe so.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to try to go to some college games this fall?

Deon Dorvil: This year, yes. I will try to go to the Gophers again and whoever invites me, but I am not going to try to do too much because my coach said make it like a five limit and don’t overdo it.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought much about a possible college major?

Deon Dorvil: Probably culinary or math. I like coaching and I like math, too.

Gopher Hole: What got you into culinary?

Deon Dorvil: My mom. She taught me how to cook. She is a single mom and she taught me how to be independent.

Gopher Hole: Is your lack of height the knock on you? You are not as tallas some teams would want to see you as.

Deon Dorvil: Yes, but I am not letting that stop me. I am not going to let that bring me down. I am just going to try to work on me. I am just going to take that as a motivation and get better and be better and stay healthy and play as hard as I can.

Gopher Hole: What position are most schools looking at you playing in college?

Deon Dorvil: Nose guard

does he have the grades?

If we had a few more 33 year old guys on the team we wouldn't need the thread on how long we can use the excuse of having a young team.

If we had a few more 33 year old guys on the team we wouldn't need the thread on how long we can use the excuse of having a young team.

Not true. If they were all 33 year old freshman or sophmores the team could still fall back on that excuse.

Given that Kill passed on another undersized DT last year (Jonathan Harden from Cretin), I'm guessing Dorvil doesn't get an offer this year. PWO?

You can play NT at 5'11.

You do, however, have to be built like Pat Williams.

It also helps if your team, um, plays a nose tackle, cuz you ain't playing anywhere else.

You will need to put on 70 pounds, and then become immovable. We will call you "Stump". ;)

Given that Kill passed on another undersized DT last year (Jonathan Harden from Cretin), I'm guessing Dorvil doesn't get an offer this year. PWO?

I was thinking the exact same thing last night as I watched this kid just single-handedly destroy Wayzata. This kid is a monster...if he's not the best DT in the state, then I have no idea who is. He was instantly in the backfield on probably 75% of plays and was disruptive in both the running and passing games. Wayzata had less than 100 yards of total offense the entire night, and a lot of it had to do with him. We'll obviously have to wait and see how recruiting interest develops for the kid, but my guess is that if he were 3 inches taller he'd have a million offers.

I watched him play earlier this year and he does alright. But he's a D2 NSIC guy, not D-1 and especially not Big 10. Good player though. Also I stood near him and I think they gave him an inch or two on his height.

I was thinking the exact same thing last night as I watched this kid just single-handedly destroy Wayzata. This kid is a monster...if he's not the best DT in the state, then I have no idea who is. He was instantly in the backfield on probably 75% of plays and was disruptive in both the running and passing games. Wayzata had less than 100 yards of total offense the entire night, and a lot of it had to do with him. We'll obviously have to wait and see how recruiting interest develops for the kid, but my guess is that if he were 3 inches taller he'd have a million offers.

Was at that Wayzata game as well and agree the kid was a force in the middle. He was aided by the fact that the passing games were eliminated for half of the game while going into a strong wind but Wayzata could not stop him. That being said he is not built like a D1 defensive tackle, at his current height he would get eaten alive by the 6'6" + monsters along most O-Lines these days. He strikes me as one of those guys who would be a stud for the NDSU's of the world but probably would get lost in the shuffle at the U of M.

For those of you at the Edina/Wayzata game, how did Chris Wipson look?

He didn't really stand out but to be fair no one on Wayzata really stood out last night. They played pretty flat for the whole game outside of a stretch in the third quarter where they came back and took the lead for a few minutes before giving up a 98 yard pass play that put Edina up for good.

I like how this guy plays

I disagree a lot that this guy would get destroyed by a 6'6" tall offensive lineman. You can't teach some of that disruption, and playing with leverage Dorvil has and he was really getting off the snap of the football. He was about as disruptive as you can be against Wayzata and was the biggest reason Edina beat them, or the dominating factor as much as the wind. He will get overlooked by a lot of teams because of his height but this kid has a lot of football ahead of him. He flashes ability to shed blocks, and make tackles for loss, I like guy's that love playing defense and he looks like the type.
I think this Dorvil kid will make something of himself as a football player, he is the determined type that will over achieve. Some guy's have "it" this guy has a touch of "it" to him. Good luck to him, I'm sure the Gophers know about him being he was in camp.

I didn't really notice much of Wipson, doesn't mean he wasn't doing his job, but Edina did seem to avoid his side of the field.

Top Bottom