East Carolina game

Rog

Reaction score
Don't count this game as an win. I was talking to a big north Carolina Fan and he says that NC and SC don't want to play east carolina because they are a football school BIG TIME. Not knowing to much about Minnesota but even knowing that they are in the big ten, he predicts a Gopher loss. He says that if they win especially on the road, Minnesota can look forward to a very good season.

lol+wut+pear.jpg

I disagree with Rog, I think this game will be so easy for the Gophers that we dont even have to show up!

The gophers are so scared to go to East Carolina that they are not even going to play there.

Right now East Carolina is the only thing standing between us and sole possession of first place in the Fulmer Cup. It's a tough task - but I think we can overtake them by the end of the year.

Don't count this game as an win. I was talking to a big north Carolina Fan and he says that NC and SC don't want to play east carolina because they are a football school BIG TIME. Not knowing to much about Minnesota but even knowing that they are in the big ten, he predicts a Gopher loss. He says that if they win especially on the road, Minnesota can look forward to a very good season.

A) ECU and Minnesota are not playing this season

B) UNC has been playing East Carolina almost every other year over the last decade. My parents went to ECU and I was at the game last year when UNC beat ECU in Chapel Hill 31-17. UNC is playing ECU again in the 2010 regular season.

Alright! Go TAR HEALS! BEAT ECU!

That would basically be a win for the goph's because Brew once coached/recruited at UNC.

Alright! Go TAR HEALS! BEAT ECU!

That would basically be a win for the goph's because Brew once coached/recruited at UNC.

He also wrongly claimed victories as an assistant under Mack Brown when he came to Minnesota. To Brewster's credit, he did recruit some immense talent to UNC in the 1990s. I lived in Winston-Salem during that time and regularly attended UNC games with my family. They were fun to watch!

He also wrongly claimed victories as an assistant under Mack Brown when he came to Minnesota.

:horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:

(P.S. You BHGP rubes like to bring it up incessantly as though it was some crime against humanity, but Brewster did nothing wrong or immoral, and certainly did not lie. For those of you who can only comprehend in black and white, the key was the omission of the word "head" before "coaching".)

:horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:

(P.S. You BHGP rubes like to bring it up incessantly as though it was some crime against humanity, but Brewster did nothing wrong or immoral, and certainly did not lie. For those of you who can only comprehend in black and white, the key was the omission of the word "head" before "coaching".)

If another coach in the big 10 claimed victories as a coach in a context that assumes he was the head coach many of you would call him out. If Ken O'Keefe, the Iowa OC, took a head coaching position somewhere and claimed he had 81 victories as a coach I think most people would question that.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/202148-so-you-have-how-many-wins

If another coach in the big 10 claimed victories as a coach in a context that assumes he was the head coach many of you would call him out. If Ken O'Keefe, the Iowa OC, took a head coaching position somewhere and claimed he had 81 victories as a coach I think most people would question that.

Sure, I would. I would say it's lame and disingenuous, just as I think it was of Brewster to do it. But it's not lying or fabricating, as BHGP gospel dictates. And the only way anyone could assume, from plain written English, that he was claiming those victories as a head coach, is to truly take the first three letters of assume to heart. Apparently they don't teaching reading comprehension courses in Iowa City.

Guys, I think were getting off focus here. Back to the important topic at hand: UNC plays ECU this year and ECU shouldn't be overlooked. Discuss.

Sure, I would. I would say it's lame and disingenuous, just as I think it was of Brewster to do it. But it's not lying or fabricating, as BHGP gospel dictates. And the only way anyone could assume, from plain written English, that he was claiming those victories as a head coach, is to truly take the first three letters of assume to heart. Apparently they don't teaching reading comprhension courses in Iowa City.

"Brewster holds a coaching record of 113-61-1 (.645)." I do not see too many assistant coaches making written statements like this when they get their first head coaching opportunity. The context in which the written statement is made implies that Brewster has had a successful head coaching career. While you are correct, it does not say head coaching, most interpret this to mean head coach. The only reason to make the statement is to impress recruits and fans about his record as a coach. In the world we live in, wins and losses are attributed to the head coach, not the assistants. Are other coaches making a claim to victories as an assistant when they take head coaching jobs? No. Brewster seems to be unique in this endeavor.

Guys, I think were getting off focus here. Back to the important topic at hand: UNC plays ECU this year and ECU shouldn't be overlooked. Discuss.

I'm too worried about Davidson to be worrying about ECU

You're right. My mistake.

ECU is looking pretty tough, but I think the "Heals" have their number. Mack Brown has his troops ready. That being said, they shouldn't overlook Skip Holtz and his crew. Chris Johnson will look to light up Sims, Peppers, and that vaunted Heal defense.

I think the issue here - and the real point of Rog's original post - is the Gophers' longstanding tendency to look past unscheduled opponents. We seem to figure if a team isn't on our schedule, we don't have to worry about them. Rog's original point is that we DO have to worry about them. East Carolina is tough. It's something we all - fans, coaches, players - need to keep in mind.

This thread could be epic....except Papahawk likes to take things too seriously and turn the thread into a Iowa is better than Minnesota or Brewster lies.

I wouldn't want to face ECU either. Brewster wasn't lying when he wanted to make their schedule tougher. GOOD JOB BREWSTER!!!

ECU has a reputation as a giant killer for AQ teams that overlook them. How much of that success can be contributed to Skip Holtz can be debated.

Turning this focus back to the Gophers, I hope our fans aren't overlooking MTSU; they will be a very tough opponent, especially at home, especially at a strange game time (Thursday night). Dwight Dasher was almost single handedly changed that program.

He also wrongly claimed victories as an assistant under Mack Brown when he came to Minnesota. To Brewster's credit, he did recruit some immense talent to UNC in the 1990s. I lived in Winston-Salem during that time and regularly attended UNC games with my family. They were fun to watch!

Thank you for ruining a thread on a Gopher football message board.

I think the issue here - and the real point of Rog's original post - is the Gophers' longstanding tendency to look past unscheduled opponents. We seem to figure if a team isn't on our schedule, we don't have to worry about them. Rog's original point is that we DO have to worry about them. East Carolina is tough. It's something we all - fans, coaches, players - need to keep in mind.

--exit diet mountain dew out of my nose

Rog is absolutely correct. If ECU shows up like they have in the past, we may find ourselves completely unprepared. Not sure why we didn’t schedule them at a more favorable time of some year, but this could be a real shocker to the Gopher Nation. :eek:

There's no disputing what your link states, but I don't know how much stock I'd put in an article written by someone who simply has the name "Jeremy" in the byline.

I think you are way off base. The Gophers have never lost to a team we didn't play. In the over 120 years of Gopher football, our undefeated streak against teams we don't play remains unbroken. How many teams make* that claim? This season, there are hundreds of teams that the Gophers will not lose to.

Note I said "make", not "can make".

"Brewster holds a coaching record of 113-61-1 (.645)." I do not see too many assistant coaches making written statements like this when they get their first head coaching opportunity. The context in which the written statement is made implies that Brewster has had a successful head coaching career. While you are correct, it does not say head coaching, most interpret this to mean head coach.

You mentioned context, so yes, let's look at context. By isolating just that statement, you have taken it out of context. Anyone reading the entire text would realize that he wasn't talking about his career as a head coach.

I think you are way off base. The Gophers have never lost to a team we didn't play. In the over 120 years of Gopher football, our undefeated streak against teams we don't play remains unbroken. How many teams make* that claim? This season, there are hundreds of teams that the Gophers will not lose to.

Note I said "make", not "can make".

I think this is a message we have got to get out there. For recruiting. I'm worried that the gophers NOT playing ECU won't be in prime time. Because I think this matchup could be a tremendous recruiting advantage.

I don't want to be "that guy", but if the Gophers lose to East Carolina this fall, Brewster has to be shown the door. No coach in Gopher football history, not even Wacker, lost to a team they didn't play and the alumni won't be happy if that record comes to an end under Brewster's watch. I just hope Maturi has the guts to pull the trigger if Brewter can't get it done against the Pirates.

You mentioned context, so yes, let's look at context. By isolating just that statement, you have taken it out of context. Anyone reading the entire text would realize that he wasn't talking about his career as a head coach.

Why would Tim Brewster claim 113 victories as an assistant coach? Who does that? I am clearly not the only one who believe this written statement on his blog is questionable. The entire blog post is about his career but if you knew nothing about Tim Brewster and read that statement you would assume he meant head coach. I don't think my assumption is far off base.

Top Bottom