Early Line, W. Illinois vs Minnesota: Gophers -37.5 *** Now up to 40.5

For like the 100th time, there is no incentive to play a team like them. It does nothing for recruiting. Yeah Colorado ended up being very bad but when that game was scheduled it was a different story. It was scheduled in 2016 around the time they went 10-4 and went to the Alamo Bowl. If they want a challenging game, they're going to schedule a power 5 opponent. Beating NDSU does nothing. Losing to them would be bad.

Every team schedules a few creampuffs.
As PJ said this week:

"We're scheduling teams 15 years out at this pont. We don't know what college football will look like 15 years from now."

That isn't an upside for the gophers

As I said, if we win, it's yawn

if we lose, it's bad

it also helps Dakotas get exposure here in MN for recruiting

There is no upside to playing Dakota's.

But, as I said, I wouldn't object to the occasional matchup, I just have no interest in making it a regular thing as NDSU fans already think there is some sort of "rivalry" when there is none
So never schedule a team your sure you can beat up on...talk about boring football! Don't schedule NDSU because they might embarrass you.

For like the 100th time, there is no incentive to play a team like them. It does nothing for recruiting. Yeah Colorado ended up being very bad but when that game was scheduled it was a different story. It was scheduled in 2016 around the time they went 10-4 and went to the Alamo Bowl. If they want a challenging game, they're going to schedule a power 5 opponent. Beating NDSU does nothing. Losing to them would be bad.

Like Bowling Green?

Like Bowling Green?
What does that have to do with the discussion? Yeah that shouldn't have happened but it was a cupcake that should have resulted in a blowout. That extreme situation doesn't change the fact that scheduling NDSU has no upside.

The upside to playing a team like Bowling Green or W Illinois is a very good chance of an easy win where lots of players can get into the game.

Bama scheduled New Mexico State last year. In mid-November. While the Big Ten was playing rivalry games. People forget that the SEC plays 8 conference games instead of the 9 the Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-12, and so on do. They fill that week before rivalry week with astounding creampuffs.

Astounding Creampuffs would be both a good name for a band and also a lot of schedules.

What does that have to do with the discussion? Yeah that shouldn't have happened but it was a cupcake that should have resulted in a blowout. That extreme situation doesn't change the fact that scheduling NDSU has no upside.

The upside to playing a team like Bowling Green or W Illinois is a very good chance of an easy win where lots of players can get into the game.
Boring! But then it pumps up the record.

If not NDSU then why not someone who would push them,?

Guarantee NDSU would be 3 - 0 playing Gophers non conference schedule.

Or we could schedule a real school, in a fertile recruiting ground that we aren't competing with for our PWO classes.

Beating them doesn't really get us anything.
Losing to them make their year.
The spotlight ONLY helps them.

I'll pass.
Just curious how many Gophers in the NFL compared to NDSU?

Just curious how many Gophers in the NFL compared to NDSU?
Just curious why you're asking me completely irrelevant questions?

The game does NOTHING for the U, it does EVERYTHING for NDSU. That's the point.

(If you really need an answer, we have 15 and they have 10).

Do you really not get it or is this just a bit at this point?? I hope it is a bit, because if you really don't understand that would be pretty sad.

NDSU is a very strong FCS program, they can give power 5 teams a run for their money in one off games but it would be a much different story if they moved up to FBS and joined a conference like the Big Ten. They would be at best a middle of the pack Big Ten team if they had to play a full power 5 schedule because their guys would get beat up against the consistently higher level of competition.

NDSU fans like to live in a fantasy world where their program is on the same level as Power 5 schools because they have done well against the handful of those teams they have played over the years.

You mean like North Carolina or Nevada or Fresno State or TCU or Miss State or...

So never schedule a team your sure you can beat up on...talk about boring football! Don't schedule NDSU because they might embarrass you.
Yes because Drake and NC A&T are juggernauts.

Everyone does it.

Just curious why you're asking me completely irrelevant questions?

The game does NOTHING for the U, it does EVERYTHING for NDSU. That's the point.

(If you really need an answer, we have 15 and they have 10).i

Yes because Drake and NC A&T are juggernauts.

Everyone does it.
If teams like Gophers don't want to schedule them what can they do.

If teams like Gophers don't want to schedule them what can they do.
So you're essentially admitting the FCS is a joke because all the other teams are bad? Their only options are "teams like Gophers"?

old man complaint:

I don't like FBS and FCS. go back to 1-A and 1-AA. that worked fine for years. there was no need to change it.

and, technically it's incorrect. FBS schools do play for a championship, and in a few years, the playoffs will be expanding.

why should 1-AA schools get to call themselves the "championship" sub-division simply because they have more teams in their playoff system?

I also think it's misleading. the "Championship" sub-division makes it sound like it's the top division.
"We play for a Championship - the other guys only play in Bowl games."

bad idea all around.

So you're essentially admitting the FCS is a joke because all the other teams are bad? Their only options are "teams like Gophers"?
I think he long since talked himself into a corner and tried to pivot to whatever he wanted to get folks to say ... and now is out in the weeds / lost.

old man complaint:

I don't like FBS and FCS. go back to 1-A and 1-AA. that worked fine for years. there was no need to change it.

and, technically it's incorrect. FBS schools do play for a championship, and in a few years, the playoffs will be expanding.

why should 1-AA schools get to call themselves the "championship" sub-division simply because they have more teams in their playoff system?

I also think it's misleading. the "Championship" sub-division makes it sound like it's the top division.

bad idea all around.
You still made about Humphrey and Lindbergh?

Colorado has been a competent football program in the past. Gophers playing them when they suck is not the Gophers fault.
Agree, Cal as well. All those listed Gophs have played or will be playing. Lining up other P5 and quite a few G5 opponents is not that easy, thuse the scheduling years out. They have been scheduling tough nonconference schools, just not for every game. I think the mix is good.

old man complaint:

bad idea all around.
CFPL. College Football Premier league. CFML. College Football Minor League, or CFAR, College Football Also Rans. ;)

Top Bottom