Early Line, W. Illinois vs Minnesota: Gophers -37.5 *** Now up to 40.5

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Last edited:

I’d take that line straight up and put $10,000 on it 👍

Way too high. With how conservative we are and how we play down to our opponents there’s no way we’re beating anyone by 38 or more.
Agree. I wouldn’t touch it.
The people who got new Mexico State at +38.5 won the bet.

I stay away from large point spreads with conservative coaches.

I think they probably win by about 42
But I wouldn’t bet on it.

We did play conservatively. That wasn't wrong. Doubt we did much more than a basic playbook, and that was all that was needed. No reason to put anything else on film for Mich State.

Same will be true this week, and hopefully we won't need anything more than that for Colorado as well.

As a FCS program that has gone 4-27 since 2019, Western Illinois may be the weakest opponent in the modern history of Gopher football.

WIU was emphatically picked to finish dead last in the Missouri Valley Conference. Nearly unanimous.

The Gophers won't try to score in the 2nd half, but even the backups might not be able to help themselves.

Last edited:

Nothing like playing against teams that test you. Like to see them play NDSU Bisons.

Has anybody in the last 50 years shut out their opponents for an entire season?
How many more games can we string together??

Nothing like playing against teams that test you. Like to see them play NDSU Bisons.
Once in awhile I wouldn't mind but don't want NDSU fans thinking we're rivals.

But there is no real upside for Minnesota to play any team from Dakota's.

Game is only noteworthy when we lose.

No one has ever shut out their opponents for an entire season. 1938 Duke let in 7 points -- between 38 and 39 Tennessee strung together 15 straight shutouts

Tennessee had 17 consecutive regular season shutouts. They had two more post season shutouts.

No one has ever shut out their opponents for an entire season. 1938 Duke let in 7 points -- between 38 and 39 Tennessee strung together 15 straight shutouts
I believe Tennessee did in the regular season. Lost in the Rose Bowl.

I believe Tennessee did in the regular season. Lost in the Rose Bowl.
Same holds true then for Duke. 1938 Duke had no points in the regular season lost to USC in the Rose Bowl. 1939 Tennessee was the same story.

Agree. I wouldn’t touch it.
The people who got new Mexico State at +38.5 won the bet.

I stay away from large point spreads with conservative coaches.

I think they probably win by about 42
But I wouldn’t bet on it.
You missed the joke.

Likely going to parlay the under with some other fun stuff.

The irony of this.

Hit them with a sarcastic play quality opponents complaint and then suggest a d2 team
NDSU maybe a div II team but given their level of talent they would make a more challenging game than any of the cream puffs currently scheduled.

Once in awhile I wouldn't mind but don't want NDSU fans thinking we're rivals.

But there is no real upside for Minnesota to play any team from Dakota's.

Game is only noteworthy when we lose.
Or prove to be a worthy challenge.

NDSU maybe a div II team but given their level of talent they would make a more challenging game than any of the cream puffs currently scheduled.
9 game Big Ten schedule, and a power 5 non conf opponent. I'm ok with filling the other 2 non-conf games with creampuffs given that there is no exhibition season in college football.

Ohio State plays Arkansas State and Toledo
Michigan plays Colorado State, Hawaii and Uconn
Sconnie plays Illinois State and New Mexico State

Playing a couple cream puffs is the norm in the Big Ten, not sure why some (you) choose to be bothered by it.

The whole cream puff argument annoys me. Especially in this Vikings dominated town where a lot of Gopher “fans” are fair weather and simply don’t understand how college football works. They expect matchups with the Packers and Steelers every week.

The B1G offers only three non-con opportunities. One power 5 opponent and two cream puffs work well. A lot of local fans will only be satisfied if the Gophers schedule Alabama and Georgia every week.

The lack of college football knowledge in this market is astounding. I saw a person on Facebook this weekend complaining about NMSU because she noticed NMSU’s sideline staff and team were smaller in numbers than her local high school team (no concept of a travel roster).

Oh for sure but they are no doubt a cream puff

So if you’re scheduling a cream puff why would you schedule the more difficult cream puff.
NDSU literally might be the dumbest FCS team to schedule. And it is why they don’t have many p5 non conference games on their schedule.

2023 and 2026 they have full schedules and weren’t able to get P5 games.
2021 no power 5 game
2020 they had Oregon originally but didn’t end up with one
2019 no p5 game
2018 no p5 game
2017 no p5 game

NDSU isn’t falling into this situation because they are a great team for p5’s to schedule and nobody has figured it out. People have figured out there is no upside to playing them.

2022 they have Arizona on the schedule
2026 they have Colorado on the schedule.
2028 they have a makeup game with Oregon but it’s a makeup game.

They’re struggling to schedule FBS teams

I think MN covers this. They didn't try particularly hard to score points against NMSU, but their talent was so superior it just happened with vanilla running plays and 3rd down conversions at will. Coupled with the fact that WIU is probably worse than NMSU and likely to turn the ball over a couple times, I think MN wins by 40+.

Oh for sure but they are no doubt a cream puff

So if you’re scheduling a cream puff why would you schedule the more difficult cream puff.
NDSU literally might be the dumbest FCS team to schedule. And it is why they don’t have many p5 non conference games on their schedule.

2023 and 2026 they have full schedules and weren’t able to get P5 games.
2021 no power 5 game
2020 they had Oregon originally but didn’t end up with one
2019 no p5 game
2018 no p5 game
2017 no p5 game

NDSU isn’t falling into this situation because they are a great team for p5’s to schedule and nobody has figured it out. People have figured out there is no upside to playing them.

2022 they have Arizona on the sched
2026 they have Colorado on the schedule.
2028 they have a makeup game with Oregon but it’s a makeup game.

They’re struggling to schedule FBS teams
Who cares??

Or prove to be a worthy challenge.
That isn't an upside for the gophers

As I said, if we win, it's yawn

if we lose, it's bad

it also helps Dakotas get exposure here in MN for recruiting

There is no upside to playing Dakota's.

But, as I said, I wouldn't object to the occasional matchup, I just have no interest in making it a regular thing as NDSU fans already think there is some sort of "rivalry" when there is none

For like the 100th time, there is no incentive to play a team like them. It does nothing for recruiting. Yeah Colorado ended up being very bad but when that game was scheduled it was a different story. It was scheduled in 2016 around the time they went 10-4 and went to the Alamo Bowl. If they want a challenging game, they're going to schedule a power 5 opponent. Beating NDSU does nothing. Losing to them would be bad.

Every team schedules a few creampuffs.

Top Bottom