Dylan Wright

Downplaying players who leave. A tradition as old as Gopher football itself. Sounds like we are STACKED at WR.

I mean his stats aren't exactly lighting the world on fire. I think it is more that people have overestimated how much he can do based on skillset.

Last year he had 17 catches for 280 yards and 1 TD. I would like to think we can replace that if needed.

Not sure if it means anything, but no mention of Dylan in this preview either.
??? There is a full paragraph on Dylan in the "depth" section of the preview article. Not sure how much I trust the author's knowledge, though, because the article identifies Kristen Hoskins as a walk-on.

Downplaying players who leave. A tradition as old as Gopher football itself. Sounds like we are STACKED at WR.

Ha. I literally just laid out what our depth looks like. We are talking about 4 players who have produced at high levels at the FBS level - CAB, Jackson, Spencer and Crooms - and another who showed arguably as much production as Wright in Brockington. That doesn't even get into any of the redshirt freshmen or the incoming recruits. If you don't see any difference from previous seasons in regards to our WR room, then you're just being obtuse.

We don't have a Johnson or Bateman type of talent but this is the deepest we've been at WR in a long time. I'd rather have Wright on the team but it is one of the positions we can afford to lose a player or too. Even if he's gone, there will be 4 guys (5 if you include BSF) that have 60+ career receptions. That's a lot of experience. And that doesn't include Brockington who looked good at the end of the season.
Wisconsin game.

Athan 19/29 - 319 - 2

BSF 7 - 95
Dan Jackson 5 - 86 - 1
Brockington 2 - 52 - 1
(Wright 5 - 86)

Mo 27 - 70 - 0

That's what the offense is going to look a lot more like in 2023. And I'm here for it! :)

Wow, thinking that losing a player from what was our weakest position last year is bad really sets some off. LOL. I’m yet to see GH care about a single departure. 😂
As for how stacked we are at WR this year (especially for those that “literally just explained it” - IALTO) you’ll excuse me if I feel like I have heard this song before.

Wow, thinking that losing a player from what was our weakest position last year is bad really sets some off. LOL. I’m yet to see GH care about a single departure. 😂
As for how stacked we are at WR this year (especially for those that “literally just explained it” - IALTO) you’ll excuse me if I feel like I have heard this song before.
Yeah, it's more of having that legit down-field threat with him than his stats. AK should definitely make the receivers better with his presence and mobility to extend plays.

Yeah, it's more of having that legit down-field threat with him than his stats. AK should definitely make the receivers better with his presence and mobility to extend plays.
Agreed. Especially in AK8. I think DW was a big underachiever, but I’m not about to brush this off as no big deal because our WR group is so stacked. I’ll believe that when I see it. I keep hearing about our transfers - but I forget, who was our highest rated WR transfer in the past - David Palmer or Hayo Carpenter?

He was a big reason WR was such a weak position last year though. I'm highly skeptical of the idea that we are stacked at WR, but all we did for 2 years was talk about how much potential and raw talent Wright had, but it never really came together on a consistent basis.

Agreed. Especially in AK8. I think DW was a big underachiever, but I’m not about to brush this off as no big deal because our WR group is so stacked. I’ll believe that when I see it. I keep hearing about our transfers - but I forget, who was our highest rated WR transfer in the past - David Palmer or Hayo Carpenter?
Not sure about highest rated but Aaron Hosack and Isaac Fruechte were solid transfer WRs.

The thing that makes our WR transfers this year seem like a safer bet is they've actually produced in D1 football. Not juco and not some 4 star that never played at the previous school. It's their past production (at a very high level) makes people excited.

Last edited:

Not sure about highest rated but Aaron Hosack and Isaac Fruechte were solid transfer WRs.

The thing that makes our WR transfers this year seem like a safer bet is they've actually produced in D1 football. Not juco and not some 4 start that never played at the previous school. It's their past production (at a very high level) makes people excited.
Understood - and I hope they are stars for the Gophers. I just find it funny (and predictable) that it would be assumed that they are going to be (“I literally laid it out for you”) and that we are so stacked that we don’t need another threat. 🤷‍♂️

Understood - and I hope they are stars for the Gophers. I just find it funny (and predictable) that it would be assumed that they are going to be (“I literally laid it out for you”) and that we are so stacked that we don’t need another threat. 🤷‍♂️
You are right that when we have transfers or decommits, we tend to convince ourselves we didn't need them. With Wright it's tough to say. If Wright was going to be the guy who helped us with the Axe last year, this is a huge loss. If it's the Wright we see about 80% of the time, it's a minor loss. I would certainly rather have him than not, but I have a hard time getting too upset over this one.

Every position room is "stacked" until life starts happening

Every MLB team has too many great players jostling for at bats while in the best shape of their lives right now, but by June will be calling out names nobody's ever heard over the PA.

And none of us still have any idea what is going on with Dylan.

I think I could crediblly have written this back in 1978 in music critic days at the community college........

Last edited:

Thanks for the heads up, disappointing news if true (no reason to doubt it).

But doesn't this get you kicked out of GI for making this thread? I guess if your username here is different than your usernames there, not sure what they can do.
Ummm, no, that's not how it works.

Yep. I think the ability to have high success in the short/medium range passing opens up that down-field possibility if you have a receiver who gives you that option, and Wright does. My belief is Athan will spread the ball around a lot, with (I hope) BSF getting even more throws.

Can you do me a favor and quote the posts that said we're stacked at WR?

I'm curious to read what those posters wrote specifically.

I cant speak to who is coming in but outside of potential I am sure one of them can match Wright's numbers. He just didn't do all that much...

I doubt the transfers will be world beaters, but if they can just play consistently and get a few catches a game we wont even remember Wright left. His play was part of why our WRs were pretty pathetic.

We will see...but I highly doubt at any point this year will we say "man if Wright were on the team we might have a chance" barring a bunch of injuries.

I cant speak to who is coming in but outside of potential I am sure one of them can match Wright's numbers. He just didn't do all that much...

I doubt the transfers will be world beaters, but if they can just play consistently and get a few catches a game we wont even remember Wright left. His play was part f why our WRs were pretty pathetic.
Matching his stats is less of a concern as opposed to matching his down-field threat.

Posts #59 and 60 qualify.
So, no one. Thanks.

This apparently means stacked? In what world does this mean stacked? If anything, these are realistic thoughts.

I swear some people cannot stand a shred of positive thinking and/or need to stir the pot.

As has been pointed out, our WR depth chart for 2023 looks pretty solid with or without Wright. That position group needed an upgrade after 2022 and to the staff's credit it looks like they went out and did just that....at least on paper. Obviously won't know for sure until we see how things go in games.

We don't have a Johnson or Bateman type of talent but this is the deepest we've been at WR in a long time. I'd rather have Wright on the team but it is one of the positions we can afford to lose a player or too. Even if he's gone, there will be 4 guys (5 if you include BSF) that have 60+ career receptions. That's a lot of experience. And that doesn't include Brockington who looked good at the end of the season.

So, no one. Thanks.

This apparently means stacked? In what world does this mean stacked? If anything, these are realistic thoughts.

I swear some people cannot stand a shred of positive thinking and/or need to stir the pot.

As has been pointed out, our WR depth chart for 2023 looks pretty solid with or without Wright. That position group needed an upgrade after 2022 and to the staff's credit it looks like they went out and did just that....at least on paper. Obviously won't know for sure until we see how things go in games.

Deepest we've had in a long time as opposed to Spoofin using "stacked"...you really haven't ever heard that term used in this way...seriously?

Matching his stats is less of a concern as opposed to matching his down-field threat.
What threat? You have to play the games and you have to show the heart to do it on a consistent basis which he has never done. He does it in spurts, but not every game.

I just dont see him being the "threat" that you seem to. He has the "potential" to be that guy but do you really think the defensive coordinators are game-planning to stop him? He is as likely to stop himself with his attitude.

(obviously he has gone through stuff so I dont even blame him for being on edge)

Production matters as much as being a threat. No one is going to feel threatened by a dude who averages 1.5 catches a game no matter how much speed he has.

Turns out the only person who said we're "stacked" at WR was spoof himself.

Post 55:
"Sounds like we are STACKED at WR."

That's pretty typical of the spoof. He's a well known fraud. Invent what others said and then argue against it.

Turns out the only person who said we're "stacked" at WR was spoof himself.

Post 55:
"Sounds like we are STACKED at WR."

That's pretty typical of the spoof. He's a well known fraud. Invent what others said and then argue against it.
You do realize he is using it sarcastically, right?

The only post that qualifies is post 55...from spoof
You guys are so tedious; you spend so much time litigating and quoting others’ POVs rather than developing your own, constructive thoughts that bring some insight to conversation. You’re like 5th graders shouting at the lunch table.

(Now I’m among you, Shiv0014 exits the chat)

LOL.

If you don’t like 59 and 60 - try 37 and 42.
Oh wait, they didn’t say the word “stacked” 🙄🙄🙄

Top Bottom