Drew Hmielewski Commits!

Looks like a great athlete and nice size. He also sports one of the better recruiting photos in some time.

Drew Hmielewski

image.jpg

Vigo the Carpathian

image.jpg

This is a pretty exciting recruit. Apparently with the right talent and attitude. Clearly one Jerry wants.

Looks like a great athlete and nice size. He also sports one of the better recruiting photos in some time.

Drew Hmielewski

View attachment 3700

Vigo the Carpathian

View attachment 3701

I would have gone with King Leonidas.

gerard-butler-as-king-leonidas-in-300-2006.jpg

Marshall Independent: PREP FOOTBALL: Marshall’s Hmielewski verbally commits to Gophers football, baseball

""I kind of knew in my heart that I've wanted to be a Gopher. I watched a Gopher practice this past weekend. I got to talk to coach (Jerry) Kill and he basically told me that I was going to be a Gopher," he said via phone.

Hmielewski was impressed by the personnel at the university.

"The people are great. The coaching staff, both football and baseball are unbelievable," he said. "I can't say enough about the coaching staff." He also said he liked that he would be playing close to home.

He added that the Gophers' plan to play him to at wide receiver."

http://www.marshallindependent.com/...s-to-Gophers-football--baseball.html?nav=5021

Marshall Independent: PREP FOOTBALL: Marshall’s Hmielewski verbally commits to Gophers football, baseball

""I kind of knew in my heart that I've wanted to be a Gopher. I watched a Gopher practice this past weekend. I got to talk to coach (Jerry) Kill and he basically told me that I was going to be a Gopher," he said via phone.

Hmielewski was impressed by the personnel at the university.

"The people are great. The coaching staff, both football and baseball are unbelievable," he said. "I can't say enough about the coaching staff." He also said he liked that he would be playing close to home.

He added that the Gophers' plan to play him to at wide receiver."

http://www.marshallindependent.com/...s-to-Gophers-football--baseball.html?nav=5021

This sounds very Obi Wan Kenobi..."These aren't the droids you're looking for"..."You're going to be a Gopher."

It sounded like (well what the crootin experts have said) the staff was taking 1 more WR and it was between JD and Hmi. I do wonder if they take JD if he wants to come here because we can always use speed but 2 smaller fast WRs committed I doubt they take 3 similar guys in 1 class. Of course that's exactly what they did last year with 3 bigger WRs

JD as a DI WR seems like a stretch. 5'9" would seem to make him more likely a corner or safety. Out of the 17 WR on the roster we have only 3 under 6' (Maye 5'10", Carter and Stetson at 5'11). On top of that seems pretty deep and young at that spot right now. i would think we will have more need to reload at corner and safety for his year. Maybe that is why Nebraska is higher on his list right now. They have 4 WR listed under 6' and one is 5'7" and one is 5'9".

Drew has a 2017 teammate on the offensive line, Blaise Andries, who is 6'6" 290 lbs. Was at a Gopher camp this summer, I believe.

JD as a DI WR seems like a stretch. 5'9" would seem to make him more likely a corner or safety. Out of the 17 WR on the roster we have only 3 under 6' (Maye 5'10", Carter and Stetson at 5'11). On top of that seems pretty deep and young at that spot right now. i would think we will have more need to reload at corner and safety for his year. Maybe that is why Nebraska is higher on his list right now. They have 4 WR listed under 6' and one is 5'7" and one is 5'9".

All indication is that he's being recruited strictly as a WR/PR/KR guy, not on D. Plus he's supposedly more like 5'7" than 5'9" so he'd be a tiny CB ala Marcus Jones

I've seen Drew play basketball and baseball, and he is definitely a very good all-around athlete. One of those kids who is so smooth that you don't realize how fast he's moving until he blows by another kid. Having said that, it's a big step up in level of competition. It's always interesting to see how kids handle things when they start going up against opponents who are just as fast or faster, and bigger and stronger to boot. My sense of Drew is that he's a pretty sharp kid, and shouldn't be fazed by the competition. I could see him being a contributor on special teams to begin, and moving into the rotation at WR as time goes by.

And, FWIW, I have always heard the name pronounced "HIM-ah-less-kee."

Drew is now rated a 90 4-star at 247.

I love this kid, but are the analysts drunk over there, after the Snelson mystery?

http://247sports.com/Player/Drew-Hmielewski-81999

One of the more interesting thing about this kid according to Ryan Burns is that he also a very good baseball player. Ryan said that the gophers are worried about losing him, not necessarily to another team but to professional base. He went on to say that this kid could be drafted as high as the first round (baseball). As Burns said, this kid reminds him of another rural Minnesotan that was also not highly ranked, i.e. Erik Decker. Supposedly when he was visiting here with his dad the plan is for him to play both football and baseball at Minnesota. Again it appears that Kill and company may have found another under the radar gem.:clap:

Holy cow, we beat out NDSU for this kid

He's an outstate receiver whom scarcely anybody knows about. He didn't camp anywhere last year and only camped at Minnesota this summer. Even Kill didn't know enough about him to invite him to junior day or spring practices.

One of the more interesting thing about this kid according to Ryan Burns is that he also a very good baseball player.

I posted this in the baseball thread:

Not sure what position he's being recruited to play, but he's been a pretty good pitcher for the Tigers. As a sophomore, he threw a perfect game and finished the season with a 1.71 ERA and 43 strikeouts. Also had a .465 average. This spring, he batted .467, and finished on the mound with a 2.02 ERA and 59 strikeouts. Marshall finished 3rd in Class AA, but will be in Class AAA in 2016.

He's an outstate receiver whom scarcely anybody knows about. He didn't camp anywhere last year and only camped at Minnesota this summer. Even Kill didn't know enough about him to invite him to junior day or spring practices.

Yep, he has so few offers because baseball took up all his time during his spring and summer so he didn't camp anywhere and there also were probably some coaches that did know about him but didn't offer because they thought he might play baseball in college or get drafted.

...from MN, not overall

No, if you look at the ratings that they themselves assigned (where they give him a 90) then he has the second highest rating. I guess actually tied for second with Sean Foster (Coughlin 1st). No one else is in the 90's, Snelson for example is an 85.

Dingus post by Salzie

I don't care if we only beat out NDSU, during the Brewster years kids like this were kicking our tails for NDSU.

This kid has division one bloodlines as both his mother(MS basketball MN HS) and father were division 1 athletes at KSU and his dad even played AA pro baseball.

Just because the kid is in Marshall and not in the Twin cities doesn't mean he is not a player, the reason he doesn't get the notoriety he likely would have is because he is outstate instead of Metro. Believe it or not there are good football players out in rural areas in Minnesota they are just not as noticed because they don't play for Wayzata, Maple Grove, EP or CDH.

To clarify my remarks, I was NOT insulting Drew in any way. The grading of players has become bipolar at 247.

To review, Snelson was dropped about 1000 spots in the 247 rankings a few months after their own analysts had in the top 10 performers at a camp in January. He reportedly had an off day at a subsequent camp that prompted rivals to drop him 90 some spots. He is rated a ridiculous low 3 star by 247 when everyone else has him much higher.

Then, Drew was rated an 81 three star and overnight became a 90 4 star. Was a 247 scout at the Kill camp? Or just look at tape. Or just mailing it in to make up for the Shnelson rating. I dunno. All a little strange.

Like I said before, Drew looks like a great athlete with size; if he's as fast as advertised this kid should be really good.

Sorry for the typos, using my Samsung today.

Top Bottom