Drew Davis

I give up on the rankings. I like Anyanwu and think he has potential, but how is he possibly rated higher than Davis? This kid will be good. Good film.

I give up on the rankings. I like Anyanwu and think he has potential, but how is he possibly rated higher than Davis? This kid will be good. Good film.

I have no clue how good Davis will turn out to be but you can't base your opinion on how good a kid is going to be based on 2:30 of highlights. Pretty much any player can be made to look good in a highlight video because you are only going to put plays in there that cast them in a positive light.

It is for that reason that coaches put little to no stock in highlights, they watch full game films on recruits and evaluate them in person to see what they do on every play and not just their good ones. It always amazes me how fans can make blanket statements about a players ability or lack there of based on their highlight videos that are out there on the various sites.

I have no clue how good Davis will turn out to be but you can't base your opinion on how good a kid is going to be based on 2:30 of highlights. Pretty much any player can be made to look good in a highlight video because you are only going to put plays in there that cast them in a positive light.

It is for that reason that coaches put little to no stock in highlights, they watch full game films on recruits and evaluate them in person to see what they do on every play and not just their good ones. It always amazes me how fans can make blanket statements about a players ability or lack there of based on their highlight videos that are out there on the various sites.

I do it for a living, boss. You can reject my opinion if you want, though. No big deal.

You base opinions on highlights for a living?

Fortunately, there is more information available on the good old internet, like that he averaged nearly 14 tackles a game in 2010.

You can see things like speed, size, quickness, explosion, etc on highlights. Sure you can't see stamina, decision making, play to play effort or instincts, but to claim you can't tell anything based on highlights is stupid. Do I need to watch full game film of Jim Brown to know he was great? I've never seen Gayle Sayers play a full game either

His film is really impressive but the MLB position is going to look a lot more dominant than film of a QB being recruited as a potential TE.

Davis looked good, but it's sort of like film of a HS G, a D1 caliber MLB is going get a ton of huge hits, make a ton of tackles, and be extremely impressive. I think the film of a HS MLB, it's hard to tell the difference between a Lee Campbell quality of player and an All American.

He look pretty smart. He went to tackle the back on one play, quickly realized it was a pass, reversed course and made the tackle.

Looks like a load, not fast, but quick on direction change.

You can see things like speed, size, quickness, explosion, etc on highlights. Sure you can't see stamina, decision making, play to play effort or instincts, but to claim you can't tell anything based on highlights is stupid. Do I need to watch full game film of Jim Brown to know he was great? I've never seen Gayle Sayers play a full game either

Never claimed you can't see anything on a highlight video just saying it doesn't tell you the full story about a player which is why coaches put very little stock in them. The only thing a highlight video might do is peak their interest in a guy to get them to do a more full evaluation on them.

As to the comment about Jim Brown and Gayle Sayers....come on really? Watching 2:30 of NFL highlights on an all time great player vs. watching 2:30 on a high school player are not exactly equal comparisons. Bob's comments hit it right on the head in terms of the stock to put in a highlight video or for that matter even stats like 14 tackles a game.

You base opinions on highlights for a living?

Opinions on the players whose film I watch, yes.

You don't have to see an entire game to notice some important things. Full games will be important for a number of other determining factors and, of course, the true worth of a player cannot be determined without seeing more than highlights. That being said, it is not difficult to ascertain that Davis has a solid skill set that transfer well to the next level. That is why I typically choose to wait and see on recruits. If you look at Davis on paper and see 2 stars, you assume he sucks. You watch the film and see something different immediately. That is not the case for everyone, so I will stand by my opinion of him based on the highlights. Again, I do this a lot.

While I've been around a college coach nearly half of my life, I am not a coach myself, so this is an opinion of just a college football fan.

He's a strong, physical kid, no doubt, which I think is very important. That said, I don't know (I really don't) if this kid will be a linebacker three years from now or a DE/DT. He's not the fastest kid, and at 6'3, 240 (18 years old?), I wonder if he may end up as sort of a hybrid DE/LB type, or even potentially (depending on how much weight he puts on) a DT.

Again, I love how physical he plays - I think it's one of the most important things to look for in a defensive player.

Not to nitpick, but if you do scout talent for a living, I think you are sort of making the other posters point. You wouldn't evaluate someone based upon highlights, you would demand footage of a few full games (at least). You can sometimes see a players strengths from highlights but even that's a little mixed. The fact is that even D3 college football players, dominate at the HS level. They could splice together some really impressive highlights of those players.

I think Drew Davis looks good, but he is precisely the kind of athlete that is going to look incredible in a highlight reel. He obviously has D1 strength and toughness, so he's going to get a ton of tackles and they are going to be impressive. It's almost like a HS G in a traditional set. D3 athletes who are OG, have dominating highlight films. Whereas you take a kid like Duke who is playing QB in HS and they plan on playing him at TE in college, his talents aren't going to be as instantly ascertainable.

Never like seeing that late offer from close to home. You just have to hang on and hope the kid sticks to his commitment but let's face it loyalty in college athletics is a dying concept.

Home town, dream school knocking, not good.
You mean the dream school that waited until mid January to make an offer even though he played right down the street? He should be asking himself, do I go with the team that offered early and showed me lots of attention from the get go or do I go with the school that offered late (presumably as a fallback when others had turned them down). Seems like an easy choice to me.

You mean the dream school that waited until mid January to make an offer even though he played right down the street? He should be asking himself, do I go with the team that offered early and showed me lots of attention from the get go or do I go with the school that offered late (presumably as a fallback when others had turned them down). Seems like an easy choice to me.

I agree with everything you said of course whether or not any of that matters to an 18 year old kid when he has the chance to stay close to home and play for the school he grew up cheering for....

While I agree with the general sentiment, I argued the flip side of that coin when it came down to AJ Tarpley. We offered him late, well after Stanford, and a lot of us were hoping he'd see it the opposite of the way we want D. Davis to see it now.

While I agree with the general sentiment, I argued the flip side of that coin when it came down to AJ Tarpley. We offered him late, well after Stanford, and a lot of us were hoping he'd see it the opposite of the way we want D. Davis to see it now.
I don't recall Tarpley getting a U offer. Was he committed to Stanford when the offer came?

mkAz said:
If he really wanted to attend NC St. then he will be asking himself nothing. He will just be a happy 18 year old and go play football.

"9 of top 10 recruits from NC have committed. ALL r leaving the state.That's simply unacceptable if u r a state school."

"Of the top 25 recruits in NC, only 5 r staying in-state. #unc has two, #ncstate, #duke, #wakeforest each have 1. How is that possible?"

Couple tweets about NC football. Indictment on ACC football.

I really hope he sticks with us, he's exactly the type of prospect Kill needs to land.
Good growth potential, under the radar, but with good athleticism.

That said, If we lose him to his home state, dream school, etc, that's more acceptable to me than most situations. Gotta wonder why NC St wasn't on him earlier though, he had a huge Jr year.

Rumor is that he has committed to NC St. and will be informing the Gophers coaches this morning.

Well, this is why Kill says, recruiting never stops.

Top Bottom