Drew Davis

I don't recall Tarpley getting a U offer. Was he committed to Stanford when the offer came?

The general consensus is that he did offer. Brew started recruiting him pretty hard leading to signing day (in home visits, etc.), so the general consensus is that we had a spot for him if he would have considered us. He had committed to Stanford a year earlier, January of his JR season.

Retweet from Ryan Burns just confirmed that Davis will be switching his commitment to NC St.

Rumor is that he has committed to NC St. and will be informing the Gophers coaches this morning.

That's too bad, he was a pretty impressive kid. I'm not entirely sure this opens up a spot for Michaelson (I think Michaelson's spot might depend on Nicholson). This class has seemed kind of strange, we went from being LB heavy to pretty light (only Lynn, Nicholson (possibly), Rallis (possibly)). WE might need to add a MLB before this is over.

That's too bad, he was a pretty impressive kid. I'm not entirely sure this opens up a spot for Michaelson (I think Michaelson's spot might depend on Nicholson). This class has seemed kind of strange, we went from being LB heavy to pretty light (only Lynn, Nicholson (possibly), Rallis (possibly)). WE might need to add a MLB before this is over.

Sucky.
Can never fault a kid for staying home and playing for a school he grew up near.
I think Matilus and Baudacco have some MLB potential, but I think if anything we need a DE, that's where Davis likely would have ended up unless he showed quite a bit at LB early.

Man, i really didn't want to lose Davis, feels like Wedley Estime all over again, a real under the radar type commits to us and then switches last minute, and Davis had intangibles to boot.

Sucky.
Can never fault a kid for staying home and playing for a school he grew up near.
I think Matilus and Baudacco have some MLB potential, but I think if anything we need a DE, that's where Davis likely would have ended up unless he showed quite a bit at LB early.

Man, i really didn't want to lose Davis, feels like Wedley Estime all over again, a real under the radar type commits to us and then switches last minute, and Davis had intangibles to boot.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I like Plsek at DE or at least on the defensive side of the ball.

I would go DT and WR with any remaining tenders.

Agree with Matilus at MLB.

Sucky.

I think Bauducco ends up a DE, but I wouldn't be surprised if Westerhaus ends up in the middle.

Sucky.

Matilus is a tough kid, but he is about 5'11" tall, and had a shoulder injury a good part of the fall. Will be a mismatch at MLB. Bauducco might be able to play it but that is not where he worked last year.
I went back and watched Lynn's tapes, and he looks better for playing TE than LB, he is a grabber not a hitter. I don't see a lot of future excellent LBs on the team or in this class.

Tough break if he goes to NC State (which it appears he will). Good size and looks like he has a nose for the football. Can always use guys like that.

Well, best of wishes to him. Opens up a Scholie for someone else and it seems they are targeting a few good ones.

The general consensus is that he did offer. Brew started recruiting him pretty hard leading to signing day (in home visits, etc.), so the general consensus is that we had a spot for him if he would have considered us. He had committed to Stanford a year earlier, January of his JR season.

Who makes up this consensus? I don't believe any of this was reported over at GI at the time.

Damn, I was hoping Davis would stick with his COMMITMENT, I thought he was one of those under the radar guys who would really surprise. Oh well, kids will be kids. Next.

As I have said before the Verbal commitment is worth the paper it is written on. Good Luck Drew Davis. This opens a scholarship up for someone else.

There are a handful of players in this class that would upset me if they left, Davis wasn't one of them. Considering how against the limit we are with our scholarships, I'm actually somewhat glad that this was resolved now, rather than spending a year to develop him, get home-sick, and transfer.

Top Bottom