Dress for the Games Appropriately this Fall

I am sure that they enjoy any sales boost that comes with these events, but the real goal is to get the fans involved in new ways. I wasn't very optimistic about the stripe out last year, but it exceeded my expectations in two ways. First, the participation rate was much higher than I expected. Second, I overestimated the percentage of people who would have to comply to make it look good. If you look at photos from a distance, it looks great. If you zoom in, you'll see that compliance was 65-80% in most sections. If 3/4 of the people are in gold, it's going to look gold on TV no matter what anyone else wears.

How many fans who attend games don't already own maroon and/or gold gear? They usually have Minnesota t-shirts on sale for $10 during the summer/near the start of the school year in both maroon and gold. You can find sweatshirts for as little as $30. If you don't want to participate, whether it's because you are a killjoy or a contrarian, that's fine, but the rest of us are going to participate and have fun with it.
For 1 "special" game that has a significant impact in the standings, sure I'm all in. It looked nice against Purdue with a near capacity crowd.

To do it 3 times loses the specialness of the event, it is overkill. That's my opinion.

If it floats your boat, go for it. Hopefully the on field performance will be better this year for the Gophers instead of what transpired against the Boilermakers.

For 1 "special" game that has a significant impact in the standings, sure I'm all in. It looked nice against Purdue with a near capacity crowd.

To do it 3 times loses the specialness of the event, it is overkill. That's my opinion.

If it floats your boat, go for it. Hopefully the on field performance will be better this year for the Gophers instead of what transpired against the Boilermakers.
I think PJ’s goal and expectation is EVERY GAME SHOULD FEEL SPECIAL!

I respect your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. I agree that I hope they play better in all these games than they did against Purdue. They have tried a lot of different things to try to engage the fanbase and most of them don't go over all that well. I think that they were pleased (and maybe even a little surprised) with the reception to the stripe out idea last year and are trying to build upon it by announcing it earlier and expanding the number of theme dates.

I think PJ’s goal and expectation is EVERY GAME SHOULD FEEL SPECIAL!
I respect your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. I agree that I hope they play better in all these games than they did against Purdue. They have tried a lot of different things to try to engage the fanbase and most of them don't go over all that well. I think that they were pleased (and maybe even a little surprised) with the reception to the stripe out idea last year and are trying to build upon it by announcing it earlier and expanding the number of theme dates.
Penn St does 1 "White Out" per year. It has become a mark the calendar type of event.

I think it has a greater chance success when it's limited to just 1 game per year, best case in the middle of they year in which the promotions department ramp up awareness.

To me it's a victory when you can get fans to wear any type of Gopher gear whether it's black, grey, white, denim, maroon, gold or maroon & gold (all of which I have multiples in my closet). Just getting Gopher fans to show up is a win.

Just writing this, it's occurred to be me I am into it for well over a couple of grand for Gopher attire and that's not even counting hats, gloves, scarves...uffda.

Yes, yes, yes, any school can do stripes, but we have a unique opportunity to "kick it up!" We need a "Wear your seat color" day! It'd be great to see the "M" and "MINNESOTA" in the stands during a nationally televised Little Brown Jug Day.

Yes, yes, yes, any school can do stripes, but we have a unique opportunity to "kick it up!" We need a "Wear your seat color" day! It'd be great to see the "M" and "MINNESOTA" in the stands during a nationally televised Little Brown Jug Day.
Would be cool and lots of silver on the ends.

Penn St does 1 "White Out" per year. It has become a mark the calendar type of event.

I think it has a greater chance success when it's limited to just 1 game per year, best case in the middle of they year in which the promotions department ramp up awareness.

To me it's a victory when you can get fans to wear any type of Gopher gear whether it's black, grey, white, denim, maroon, gold or maroon & gold (all of which I have multiples in my closet). Just getting Gopher fans to show up is a win.

Just writing this, it's occurred to be me I am into it for well over a couple of grand for Gopher attire and that's not even counting hats, gloves, scarves...uffda.
Penn State actually does a white out and a stripe out. Iowa does a gold game, a black game and a stripe out. You might be right that a single game would get the best compliance, I guess we'll see. The other benefit of these promotions is that, once fans have maroon and gold gear, maybe they will wear it to all the games. (My wardrobe is stocked similarly to yours, although I have to admit that I've never had Gopher denim. I assume it's cutoff shorts or maybe a vest?)

Wouldn't surprise me if they try to build to that someday. It's a little more complicated, but it could be done.

Let's be honest.....none of these have been "special". They've been fun.....but nothing close to something like the white out. Got to get fans on board with it first.....and that might mean blasting out a few per year. As others have said.....gold gear is tougher to wrangle. I've got plenty.....but for more casual fans.....we might need to push a few "Gold Outs" (so more people get gold gear) before a stripe out actually plays well in the stadium or on a broadcast.

Penn State actually does a white out and a stripe out. Iowa does a gold game, a black game and a stripe out. You might be right that a single game would get the best compliance, I guess we'll see. The other benefit of these promotions is that, once fans have maroon and gold gear, maybe they will wear it to all the games. (My wardrobe is stocked similarly to yours, although I have to admit that I've never had Gopher denim. I assume it's cutoff shorts or maybe a vest?)
The denim is actually nice button down shirt with a Maroon Block M embroidered on the chest.

Have 2 (bought one and got another as a gift), but really it's down to 1 that's wearable in public.

Last edited:

Let's be honest.....none of these have been "special". They've been fun.....but nothing close to something like the white out. Got to get fans on board with it first.....and that might mean blasting out a few per year. As others have said.....gold gear is tougher to wrangle. I've got plenty.....but for more casual fans.....we might need to push a few "Gold Outs" (so more people get gold gear) before a stripe out actually plays well in the stadium or on a broadcast.
A Gold Out for a night game (like Nebraska) has potential to resonate in the stadium and on TV.

I am sure that they enjoy any sales boost that comes with these events, but the real goal is to get the fans involved in new ways. I wasn't very optimistic about the stripe out last year, but it exceeded my expectations in two ways. First, the participation rate was much higher than I expected. Second, I overestimated the percentage of people who would have to comply to make it look good. If you look at photos from a distance, it looks great. If you zoom in, you'll see that compliance was 65-80% in most sections. If 3/4 of the people are in gold, it's going to look gold on TV no matter what anyone else wears.

How many fans who attend games don't already own maroon and/or gold gear? They usually have Minnesota t-shirts on sale for $10 during the summer/near the start of the school year in both maroon and gold. You can find sweatshirts for as little as $30. If you don't want to participate, whether it's because you are a killjoy or a contrarian, that's fine, but the rest of us are going to participate and have fun with it.
Spring and fall bookstore sales are super cool - if you are on campus.
I don't appreciate the assumption that I'm a contrarian or killjoy for sharing an opinion - I love the gophers enough to spend what would amount to a decent tropical vacation every year, I tailgate at every game and bring a ton of good cheer - dial it back. Expressing that I think three games are too much in no way impacts your fun - per your own words.

Given that the U has this planned - I'd like to see gold shirts given to season ticket holders and students for the first game. I miss the days when we got a free shirt :)

What counts as “special”?

I think the stripe out was great.

What counts as “special”?

I think the stripe out was great.

I'm talking like closer to full participation. They're fun and mostly look good.....but when executed really really well....it pops.

I'm talking like closer to full participation. They're fun and mostly look good.....but when executed really really well....it pops.
Stripe out looked solidly executed to me.

Last edited:

I don't appreciate the assumption that I'm a contrarian or killjoy for sharing an opinion - I love the gophers enough to spend what would amount to a decent tropical vacation every year, I tailgate at every game and bring a ton of good cheer - dial it back. Expressing that I think three games are too much in no way impacts your fun - per your own words.
Sorry to have ruffled your feathers, Big Shooter. The reference to being a killjoy came directly from Ope3's post. I certainly don't care whether you wear a gold t-shirt.

Pro tip--you can use the interwebs to access the Bookstore sales.

Sorry to have ruffled your feathers, Big Shooter. The reference to being a killjoy came directly from Ope3's post. I certainly don't care whether you wear a gold t-shirt.

Pro tip--you can use the interwebs to access the Bookstore sales.
Yes, self pro-claimed "killjoy". I knew it was directed at yours truly.

Also an update on the denim Gopher shirt: I dug up what I thought was the "one past it's prime" in the corner of the closet, only to realize it was actually what I considered the "good one".

I hadn't worn it since 2020. Too faded and frayed, and a button missing. Might be able to get away with wearing it under a vest but sad to say it's going to be retired. It got a lot of good use, as I was able to wear it to work on days I was going to a Gopher hoops or hockey game after.

I'd like to replace it but didn't see much on the internet. I believe it was originally purchased at Macy's. Might have even been Marshall Fields back then.

Top Bottom