Dress for the Games Appropriately this Fall

Not crazy about the gold out against Nebraska. If Mariucci is any indicator, there aren't enough people who have gold and/or are willing to wear gold for a gold out to work. And if we do get enough people to wear gold, it will make the red cornhusker gear stand out too much IMO.

I remember a lot of negativity last season about if the stripe out would work.

It looked great.

Just bought my older kid some new gophers sweatshirts because apparently they count as a coat… and that’s all he will wear….

I probably would have flipped the gold out and the stripe out. Nebraska game should have the bigger crowd so better chance of the stripe out working.

But as others have said, glad to see them trying to do these things and especially glad to see them getting the word out early. Really ups the chances of success if you let people know right away and keep reminding them as the game gets closer.

I probably would have flipped the gold out and the stripe out. Nebraska game should have the bigger crowd so better chance of the stripe out working.

But as others have said, glad to see them trying to do these things and especially glad to see them getting the word out early. Really ups the chances of success if you let people know right away and keep reminding them as the game gets closer.
I think the maroon out in Nov is strategic. Lots of folks will be wearing jackets and winter gear that is darker in color, so the maroon out won't look as bad if less people are participating.

PLUS the red from badger fans is closer in color to Maroon than it is Gold so they will blend in a little bit more rather than standing out. Plus the Maroon out vs Penn State in 2019 was relatively successful whereas there hasn't been a very successful gold out recently, so we want to save the thing that we are more confident in working for the bigger rival.

EDIT: Wow I need to read better. You said flip the Gold and Stripe out, not Gold and maroon.

There will be to much red to do a Stripe out against Nebraska.

Question: Do they promote Gopher Gear to season ticket holders leading up to these special events? (especially specific colored gear to match the theme for that game)

Question: Do they promote Gopher Gear to season ticket holders leading up to these special events? (especially specific colored gear to match the theme for that game)
Yes, they send a lot of reminders and etc.

IMO, more than 1 of these per season is too over the top and just feels like a ploy to fill up Fanatics coffers.

Sorry to be a killjoy.

IMO, more than 1 of these per season is too over the top and just feels like a ploy to fill up Fanatics coffers.

Sorry to be a killjoy.
Woah wait… are you saying they want to sell school merchandise?!?!?

Qv0lXei.jpg

Not crazy about the gold out against Nebraska. If Mariucci is any indicator, there aren't enough people who have gold and/or are willing to wear gold for a gold out to work. And if we do get enough people to wear gold, it will make the red cornhusker gear stand out too much IMO.
I have tons of Gopher gear...but not a single Gold item.
I feel like they are pushing it with three games this year having color concepts. The stripe out was cool...a gold out will be hit or miss I suspect. But hey - great way to sell some merch.

Sorry to be a killjoy.
I feel like they are pushing it with three games this year having color concepts. The stripe out was cool...a gold out will be hit or miss I suspect. But hey - great way to sell some merch.
I am sure that they enjoy any sales boost that comes with these events, but the real goal is to get the fans involved in new ways. I wasn't very optimistic about the stripe out last year, but it exceeded my expectations in two ways. First, the participation rate was much higher than I expected. Second, I overestimated the percentage of people who would have to comply to make it look good. If you look at photos from a distance, it looks great. If you zoom in, you'll see that compliance was 65-80% in most sections. If 3/4 of the people are in gold, it's going to look gold on TV no matter what anyone else wears.

How many fans who attend games don't already own maroon and/or gold gear? They usually have Minnesota t-shirts on sale for $10 during the summer/near the start of the school year in both maroon and gold. You can find sweatshirts for as little as $30. If you don't want to participate, whether it's because you are a killjoy or a contrarian, that's fine, but the rest of us are going to participate and have fun with it.

I remember a lot of negativity last season about if the stripe out would work.

It looked great.

Just bought my older kid some new gophers sweatshirts because apparently they count as a coat… and that’s all he will wear….
I painted my face Gold on the left side and Maroon on the right side. It still hasn't faded, so I'm set for Sept. 30th.

Last edited:

I own zero maroon items!

I love Gold, Mr. Powers!

Top Bottom