Double Edged Sword

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
If the Gophers beat Iowa they will probably end up in Detroit by knocking Iowa out of a projected BCS game. Lose to Iowa and likely go to Insight.com bowl.

I'll take Detroit if we have to for beating Iowa. Maybe Penn State gets a BCS game if we beat Iowa and they win.

Gophers are last in the pecking order for most if not all of these bowls.

Keep the W's rolling...builds confidence for the team and program...the bowl is window dressing/prep for next year.

It wouldn't shock me if Penn St. weaseled their way into a BCS bowl.

As much as you guys will hate to hear this, I bet that many of you are thinking that Wisconsin is playing some pretty good football right now. I think they found their mojo and they are really hitting on all cylinders. I would put them right up there with any team in the B10 right now. Not a big stretch; just check out the B10 standings.

That said, I think that the conference will have a fantastic bowl season overall. Of course it depends on the matchups, but I am hoping that the B10 represents well and the national media will have to eat crow for ripping on the B10 all year long.

As much as you guys will hate to hear this, I bet that many of you are thinking that Wisconsin is playing some pretty good football right now. I think they found their mojo and they are really hitting on all cylinders. I would put them right up there with any team in the B10 right now. Not a big stretch; just check out the B10 standings.

That said, I think that the conference will have a fantastic bowl season overall. Of course it depends on the matchups, but I am hoping that the B10 represents well and the national media will have to eat crow for ripping on the B10 all year long.
Wisconsin did one thing right: They didn't just hand the job to last year's starting QB. They made it an open competition and actually let the best man win the job.

What if Michigan State and Northwestern both lose this weekend and we beat Iowa?? Then we will have a better overall record than Mich. State (same conference record and we have a win over them). We will also have the same overall and conference record as Northwester with Minny having a win over the wildcats. Does that allow us to jump both of them? Or will the bowls still favor those teams?

It is very possible that they both lose this weekend as they are playing Wisconsin and Penn State. If we lose, well we will almost assuredly be in the Insight bowl. But if we somehow beat Iowa and they both lose, I can't help but think we could jump one if not both of them.

Thoughts?

this is stupid. wisconsin is playing some good football?!

name the powerhouse programs through which they have marched on their way to an 8-2 record? their marquee winns are a three point win at minnesota and a close win to that WAC powerhouse fresno state. wisconsin is a paper tiger, but there is the possibility that they go 10-2 giving them a shot at being blown out in an even better bowl that they were blown out in last year:rolleyes:

What if Michigan State and Northwestern both lose this weekend and we beat Iowa?? Then we will have a better overall record than Mich. State (same conference record and we have a win over them). We will also have the same overall and conference record as Northwester with Minny having a win over the wildcats. Does that allow us to jump both of them? Or will the bowls still favor those teams?

It is very possible that they both lose this weekend as they are playing Wisconsin and Penn State. If we lose, well we will almost assuredly be in the Insight bowl. But if we somehow beat Iowa and they both lose, I can't help but think we could jump one if not both of them.

Thoughts?

Still think bowls will take them over us. Hope I'm wrong.

this is stupid. wisconsin is playing some good football?!

name the powerhouse programs through which they have marched on their way to an 8-2 record? their marquee winns are a three point win at minnesota and a close win to that WAC powerhouse fresno state. wisconsin is a paper tiger, but there is the possibility that they go 10-2 giving them a shot at being blown out in an even better bowl that they were blown out in last year:rolleyes:

Dude give it up. As evidenced by the Badgers' 8-2 record, they are a very good football team this season full of underclassmen. #15 BCS, #17 AP, #14 USA Today Coaches Poll. This is a Badger team that absolutely ROLLED over the gophers in the second half of the first B10 game at TCF Stadium ever. And its a team that actually IMPROVED along the course of the season. And yet, for most GHolers the Badgers are a paper tiger. Well what are the Gophs then? I know you would love to see the Badgers fall into obscurity like most here proclaim they are doing for some reason, but the national perception is that UW is playing fantastic football right now. Not sure why it is so damn hard for gopher fans to give credit when credit is due.

Dude give it up. As evidenced by the Badgers' 8-2 record, they are a very good football team this season full of underclassmen. #15 BCS, #17 AP, #14 USA Today Coaches Poll. This is a Badger team that absolutely ROLLED over the gophers in the second half of the first B10 game at TCF Stadium ever. And its a team that actually IMPROVED along the course of the season. And yet, for most GHolers the Badgers are a paper tiger. Well what are the Gophs then? I know you would love to see the Badgers fall into obscurity like most here proclaim they are doing for some reason, but the national perception is that UW is playing fantastic football right now. Not sure why it is so damn hard for gopher fans to give credit when credit is due.

don't try to change the subject. no one, least of all me, has ever claimed that the gophers are anything more than an inconsistent, mid-level big 10 team.

the question was, name the powerhouse program that wisconsin has beaten this year? if the gopher win is the big win on which the badgers are hanging their hat, then they are a paper tiger--no matter how well they played purdue, indiana and michigan recently.

Penn St. will get a BCS berth if we beat Iowa. All other national contenders are fading: USC, Notre Dame, Oklahoma. I don't see a BCS bowl taking oklahoma state over PSU.

Gophers should thank their lucky stars if they end up in Detroit....rather then getting pummeled by Texas Tech or Oklahoma.

Penn St. will get a BCS berth if we beat Iowa. All other national contenders are fading: USC, Notre Dame, Oklahoma. I don't see a BCS bowl taking oklahoma state over PSU.

Agreed. With USC losing, I think that opens up a second BCS spot for the Big Ten. Whether it's Iowa or Penn State (sorry, Becky) is up to the bowl.

No bowl will ever take us unless absolutely necessary (hint: all the empty seats on Saturday didn't help), so even if we win and both Northwestern and Michigan State lose, I think we're back in Tempe, regardless of the outcome of our game.

Still think bowls will take them over us. Hope I'm wrong.

They would probably take Michigan St over us, but Northwestern? I would think we would have a much greater following than Northwestern. Not that our's is great, but it's better than NW. Isn't fan base a big part of their decision?

They would probably take Michigan St over us, but Northwestern? I would think we would have a much greater following than Northwestern. Not that our's is great, but it's better than NW. Isn't fan base a big part of their decision?

Northwestern claims to have had 10,000+ at the Alamo Bowl last year. No way of knowing if that's true, but if so, that's a solid showing.

don't try to change the subject. no one, least of all me, has ever claimed that the gophers are anything more than an inconsistent, mid-level big 10 team.

the question was, name the powerhouse program that wisconsin has beaten this year? if the gopher win is the big win on which the badgers are hanging their hat, then they are a paper tiger--no matter how well they played purdue, indiana and michigan recently.

You're right, the Badgers don't have a stand alone signature win, and I assure you no one is pointing to the Gophers as our signature win. Who cares? We lost to #10 and #13 Iowa and beat everyone else on the schedule. Is Penn State a paper tiger? Is their signature win Akron, Syracuse, Temple or Eastern Illinois?

We don't have a signature win over a 'powerhouse' program. I was unaware that if you don't beat a powerhouse program you are a paper tiger. Hate on the Badgers all you want, we now have a great opportunity to win 10+ games for the 3rd time in 5 seasons, and are most likely on our way to yet another NYD bowl game, something that hasn't been done in what, 40 years here at the U of M?

Either way, you can stay in denial and spout reasons for how the Badger program is in decline and on our way to obscurity, but the rest of the college football world will continue to look at us as the perennial top 20 program we are. Paper Tigers or not.

We had a 2nd team all big ten QB coming back. Can people at least try harder, or at this point has the myth evolved so much that ridiculous posts like these are QFT'd?

We had a 2nd team all big ten QB coming back. Can people at least try harder, or at this point has the myth evolved so much that ridiculous posts like these are QFT'd?

Let's pretend his stats weren't sh*t during Conference Play shall we? He looked good against NON-Conf Teams and did nothing against the Big Ten & Kansas.......

Northwestern 31/51 327yds 1 TD, 1 INT
Michigan 13/24 105yds 0 TD, 1 INT
Purdue 21/34 212yds 1 TD, 1 INT
Indiana 22/37 274yds 0 TD, 0 INT
Illinois 18/26 184yds 1 TD, 0 INT
Wisconsin 15/30 202 3 TD, 1 INT
Ohio State 23/36 187yds, 1 TD, 1 INT
Iowa 14/28 127yds 0 TD, 2 INT
Kansas 19/34 176yds 1 TD, 0 INT

2 good games?

Only if the QB position in the current Gopher offense was about completions,attempts, td's and ints. It sure would make this myth easier to push.

I say who gives a rip what toilet bowl they go to. Just beat Iowa. I am not a "Who hates Iowa" chanter, but Brew needs to win a trophy game.

The Gophers had an all Big Ten First Team WR too. He had to earn his starting job, so did the 2nd team CB. People tend to perform better when they have to work for something, rather than have it handed to them.

The Gophers had an all Big Ten First Team WR too. He had to earn his starting job, so did the 2nd team CB. People tend to perform better when they have to work for something, rather than have it handed to them.

So you are saying Decker had to earn his job, but Weber's was handed to him? Just trying to clarify.

So you are saying Decker had to earn his job, but Weber's was handed to him? Just trying to clarify.
That's exactly what I'm saying. Before the season, Brewster declared each and every starting position was up for grabs, with one exception. He named Weber the unquestioned starter.

Correct

Brew in August: “Adam Weber is as good a quarterback as there is in the Big Ten. I think he’s one of the top quarterbacks in the country. He’s one of four guys in the Big Ten who is an O’Brien finalist as the top quarterback in the country. His development has been excellent and I think he’s poised to have a great season. We don’t have a quarterback controversy because our quarterback is Adam Weber. He will lead our football team and we are fortunate to have him. It’s unfortunate he has not been given the credit that he is due for what he’s accomplished in his first two seasons. The really exciting thing is Adam’s last two seasons at Minnesota are going to be even better. “

Don't be a dillusional fool.

+6 points is your idea of rolling over an opponent? Did you get the Minnesota and Michigan games mixed up?

Plenty of people on this board are perfectly willing to give the Badgers credit for a "much-better-than-expected" season. Wisconsin has a great record because they found a way to win every close game and avoid an upset loss. That makes Wisconsin a solid #4 in the Big Ten, and very fortunate that they didn't have to play Penn State this year. That's a lot better than most people (even Badger fans) thought would happen.

Can you also link the quote where Brewster says something to the effect that Decker is not our clear cut starting WR. He missed spring practice and will have to come into Fall camp and earn his spot?

The only one I found was "Eric Decker is one of the best wide receivers in the country. He’s done a great job this summer leading our team. " I mean if Weber is the best in the Big Ten and doesn't have to earn his spot. You would think the best in the country wouldn't have to either, correct?

Top Bottom