Doogie: Q&A with Gophers OC Matt Limegrover: 'MarQueis has the tools'

Hey man, if you're looking to fit in post's like this are probably not going to do you many favors. I'm sorry that you feel butt hurt by perceived internet rules that you don't feel you have to adhere to. My suggestion would be to use this board exactly as you see fit; Spell things wrong, use run on sentences, make sixteen new posts per day about stuff no one else cares about (my favorite was a separate post on a gopher board about whether big ten wins vs. big ten losses are important... short answer: YES). As for us being sick of the phrase coach 'em up? You have to remember that some people have been here for years (yes I know I have a low post count and am obviously new to the site because of this), and some of us lived through the Gopher years with Brewster, things that remind us of that experience are going to get us a little angry. I was at the bank watching coached up players lose to South Dakota, I'm sick of that line of thinking and don't really care what it's called, I want to win. Basically, if something may be important to others on this board please share, but know that in doing so you are opening up yourself for people to pass judgement on. I understand this can be hard sometimes and sometimes people may disagree with you or even call you names but I promise that in the end this is a great place to learn about gopher sports.

You forgot to tell Lonely the most important rule of all - and it also applies to you. There are several reasons why "paragraphs" were invented. I think the the most important one is that many people (myself included, of course) find it difficult to read and understand written statements of any kind that are not divided up into distinct paragraphs.

The ideal is one thought or subject per paragraph. If the writer doesn't do this it is easy for people to lose their place and get eye strain trying to sort out multiple subjects and concepts. This is a very common problem on Internet Message Boards.

I will end with this advice. Too many paragraphs is much better for the reader than too few paragraphs. Other people will be more willing to read your comments if they don't have to work so hard to understand the points you are making.

Am I the only one that heard we want someone that can do more than drop back and run, they have to be able to think.

Am I the only one that heard we want someone that can do more than drop back and run, they have to be able to think.

No you aren't the only one who heard that....do you have a point to your question or were you just wondering?

That is such a delusional post I don't know where to start. Positive Comments are denigrated? We have our share of people who are negative about everything, but most of us are relentlessly positive. As far as 'coaching them up' is concerned, people agree that coaching is a big part of it, but WI, IA, and NE recruit well too. Many of us delusional fans think it is important to recruit talented players and then coach them well so they can reach their potential. But again, those of who have been on this board awhile are sick of hearing about how Decker and Barber were 2* athletes, therefore making star rating irrelevent. And if you haven't heard, Boise State doesn't recruit 4 and 5* athletes either.

I was never bashed when I started posting here, I'm not sure what you are referring to there. If you started a thread that dealt with an issue that was already being discussed, that bugs people because it clutters the front page, otherwise I don't know what you are talking about. In general, it isn't good form to enter a community of any type, virtual or otherwise, and start picking fights, which you are clearly doing with your last two sentences. My advice would be to take a deep breath, and to take yourself less seriously.

Lonely, I think, brought up VERY valid points. I know it's off-subject, but if you've actually LOOKED at his posts / topics, and read the responses.. You'd have a better idea of what he's talking about. I recall seeing someone telling him to, basically don't start any topics until he's 'seasoned' enough to do so.

The way he gets 'slammed' about his posts, you'd think he's another Art.. But his posts are actually a breath of fresh air. They make sense and aren't overly positive or negative. Shhhh.. His posts from what I've seen, actually introduce LOGIC. But don't tell some of these guys. =)

My point is, the 'old timers' here aren't the warmest of greeters to the newbies. Which is fine, but every once in a while you'll have a newbie feel isolated and come out about it. You can say he's being butthurt or emo about it, but it's not without warrant. I'm saying, don't be surprised to see it. And don't call said newbie out because he's venting his frustrations. He's HARDLY picking fights. You are seeing it that way because YOU are the one looking for a fight.

You beat me to it FORMO, this has turned into the most emo thread of all time. I don't get all of the talk about "fitting in" on the board or "Sr Members" or whatever you want to call it. I think, for the most part, people go after anyone they disagree with on this board. It's a message board, people are going to disagree and possibly even make fun of your opinions. It even happens between people who have posted a lot and for awhile (Dpo gave me ish on a thread about Lamonte Edwards just the other day), just laugh about it and consider this like a cyber version of chatting with your friends in a bar. They won't always agree with you and they won't always be super polite about it, who cares?

On a side note, people were just sick of hearing the same cliche phrases over and over again. It isn't that they aren't important at all, it's just overdone. (See the Wren thread about Big 10 wins). We all know Big 10 wins are important, but he said it so much that he got crap for it.

Bravo, Doogie. Nice interview - better than in the mainstream press. Good points. I'm happy to hear about Edwards as we had only one backfield recruit, and that at QB.

Bravo, Doogie. Nice interview - better than in the mainstream press. Good points. I'm happy to hear about Edwards as we had only one backfield recruit, and that at QB.

Hey GP, I think there is a pretty good chance that Jones will also end up as a 3rd down back/slot sort of hybrid as well.

But you're right, as far as a traditional HB, this class is without one.

Heard? Is this something he said or are you inferring that from that interview.

Rosemountain, I kind of took the "we want someone who can think and not just drop back and run" as a little pointed at MG. Then he said that he goes in #1, but it will be an open competition. Is there something about MG not being up to the thinking point???

Rosemountain, I kind of took the "we want someone who can think and not just drop back and run" as a little pointed at MG. Then he said that he goes in #1, but it will be an open competition. Is there something about MG not being up to the thinking point???

No. I think he is saying that MG is the number 1 QB, but if they get into spring or fall camp and find that there is a guy who can make better reads and run the offense better they would not hesitate to start that person. I think if they are inferring anything it would be that MG is the most physically gifted QB, so if he isn't the best QB it would have to be because of the mental side. Even that is probably reading too much into it.

Coach Kill also said every position is open at this point. Also, would you prefer that the Gopher staff simply annoint MG as the quarterback and discourage all the other quarterbacks--especially the most recently recruited one who was probably told he had a real shot at the job?

Coach Kill also said every position is open at this point. Also, would you prefer that the Gopher staff simply annoint MG as the quarterback and discourage all the other quarterbacks--especially the most recently recruited one who was probably told he had a real shot at the job?

I don't think anyone has a problem with that. I don't think Shortell has a great chance of beating out MG, but if he gives us the best chance at winning, i'd be all for it. I'm glad Shortell came here with the idea of competing for a starting job and i'm glad MG is welcoming the competition (per his tweet).

Sorry to interupt the thread hijacking, but I want to say that's one good interview. Very informative and I enjoyed reading it. Many of the questions I would have asked were asked and answered well.

Lonely, I think, brought up VERY valid points. I know it's off-subject, but if you've actually LOOKED at his posts / topics, and read the responses.. You'd have a better idea of what he's talking about. I recall seeing someone telling him to, basically don't start any topics until he's 'seasoned' enough to do so.

The way he gets 'slammed' about his posts, you'd think he's another Art.. But his posts are actually a breath of fresh air. They make sense and aren't overly positive or negative. Shhhh.. His posts from what I've seen, actually introduce LOGIC. But don't tell some of these guys. =)

My point is, the 'old timers' here aren't the warmest of greeters to the newbies. Which is fine, but every once in a while you'll have a newbie feel isolated and come out about it. You can say he's being butthurt or emo about it, but it's not without warrant. I'm saying, don't be surprised to see it. And don't call said newbie out because he's venting his frustrations. He's HARDLY picking fights. You are seeing it that way because YOU are the one looking for a fight.

Looking for a fight? No, until this thread I thought LIG was a solid new poster, I made a comment in jest about turning heel because he brought up the Gray fumble from 2 seasons ago as evidence that Gray may not live up to the hype. I was trying my hand at wrestling humor and then LIG went nuts about sr members. I admit I haven't read all of his posts, but I said nothing to indicate that he wasn't senior enough to post.

Looking for a fight? No, until this thread I thought LIG was a solid new poster, I made a comment in jest about turning heel because he brought up the Gray fumble from 2 seasons ago as evidence that Gray may not live up to the hype. I was trying my hand at wrestling humor and then LIG went nuts about sr members. I admit I haven't read all of his posts, but I said nothing to indicate that he wasn't senior enough to post.

I wasn't trying to imply that you said he wasn't 'old' enough to post new threads. I don't recall who told him what, so I kept names out of it.

I just was expressing what I was seeing. I've seen more than a few post(er)s giving him crap about one thing or another, unwarranted. Or at least missing tact on it if they weren't meant to be taken seriously.

BTW, I saw that post of yours about him turning heel.. Solid. (meaning the attempt of humor was solid.. I enjoyed it) :)

EDIT: I suppose I shall add that the interview was awesome.. Keep up the Gopher (unbiased) coverage, Doogie!

I suppose I shall add that the interview was awesome.. Keep up the Gopher (unbiased) coverage, Doogie!
When Doogie says something we like it's unbiased, when we don't like it he's been poisoned by the anti-Gopher culture of the Minneapolis sports media.

Positive comments on this board are widely denigrated, especially by "senior members." Killjoy was the one who asked the question, "What does 'coaching them up mean?'" Those who posted on that thread generally agreed with its author that the phrase was meaningless and something that could have applied to the Brewster era. I thought the phrase meant what a good coaching staff does to improve players' performances. You know, like Wisconsin, Nebraska and Iowa do.
That wouldn't be important, of course, if a program recruited enough Five and Four Star players--which Minnesota has done very, very little of in recent decades. Why even talk about Five Star players when one poster stated that Minnesota hasn't recruited one for thirty years? Someone responded that Mayo Carpenter was a Five Star recruit. Yeah, right.
And I'd sure hate to have a head coach of my program "get it" by working his tail off, knowing what he's doing BEFORE he gets the HEAD job and reaching out widely to fans and the media. After Mason and Brewster, I'm sure there's no need for any of those things in Minnesota.
But you can talk all you want on this board about the "quick first step" a POTENTIAL recruit has ON FILM. Now THAT'S important and a very, very high priority on this board. On the other hand, members here tire immediately of phrases introduced by others (not me) like "coach 'em up" and "getting it."
As a new member I was told repeatedly to wait to post until I was schooled by my learned elders here--the senior members. Apparently, there's even an unstated rule that only senior members can start a new thread. Others who do so are called "pains in the ass."
Minnesota football fans have earned the right to be cynical, I'm sure. But what makes them think they know all there is to know about college football when they've primarily been watching a Gopher program that hasn't been very good for a long, long time? I didn't enjoy watching Hayen Fry's success at Iowa, but I sure learned from it. Just as I did Tom Osbourne's three hours west of here in Nebraska, Bill Snyder at Kansas State in the Big 12 and Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin in the Big 10.
So, I'm learning. Don't start new threads. Use short sentences. Don't worry about spelling (boarders?) and so forth. Is that plain enough for you--even you "senior members?"

Maybe we should chug on over to mamby pamby land where maybe we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Top Bottom