Doogie: Q&A with Gophers OC Matt Limegrover: 'MarQueis has the tools'

That was an awesome interview by Doogie and Coach Limegrover.

I really hope gray is "the guy" next year. If he never plays qb for the u of m I will always feel he was done a disservice by brewster and his staff.

Nice to hear Brandon Green could still play next season. Great interview.

Great interview. ESPN1500.com's coverage of the Gophers has been fantastic. Between Doogie's interviews, PMac's stuff, etc., they don't have a radio peer in online content of the Gophers. Keep it up.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for the kind words... A Claeys Q&A is coming as well... got more into Kill with him... both coordinators are super easy to root for. Both, unprompted, stuck around for 15-20 min. after our camera was off to talk some more. Genuinely good guys.

Nice interview Doogie. We've been getting some great articles the past few days. The wealth of information (and optimism) from all the TC media is a great change of pace.

Absolutely love what Limegrover has to say. It feels like a completely different program, in a great way. I can't wait for the fall!!

AWESOME interview Doogie. Can't wait to hear from Claeys. Thank you. I am so damned pumped up for this era of Gopher football.

This staff keeps showing me that they are ready for the big time.

If MarQueis plays like he does for me on NCAA Football 2011 then he's gonna win the Heisman this year!! Ha just sayin

+1 on the excellent interview!

Hold on!

Gray has not won a game at quarterback and no one knows if this staff can improve his performance. It's all unproven.

Gray has not won a game at quarterback and no one knows if this staff can improve his performance. It's all unproven.

Nonsense, what's this unproven stuff? Did you see that run against Iowa???? "The Drive" against Ohio State two years ago???

LOL seriously though, I think we all know it's unproven stuff, that goes without saying. The point is, he has physical tools to be great. Yes, playing QB is probably 10% physical, so the rest is really a mystery, but it's still exciting to consider the possibilities of what this kid might do.

Gray's fumble.

Did you see Gray's fumble that cost Minnesota the Insight Bowl in 2009? Also, Limegrover talks like he can "coach his kids up." Impossible concept, according to this board.

Did you see Gray's fumble that cost Minnesota the Insight Bowl in 2009? Also, Limegrover talks like he can "coach his kids up." Impossible concept, according to this board.

Lonely, Don't turn heel on us.

same question, rephrased

The big question is does Marqueis "get it"?

Another way of putting that is whether the game has "slowed down" for Marquies yet? For some guys it never does, regardless of talent level. You see it even more with guys who were all world in college not making it in the NFL.

RBtL of Limegrover's comments, you can tell he has the same concern.

Turn heel?

Turn heel? The way positive comments are rewarded on this board? I'm not the one who said "coaching em up" is a meaningless phrase and "getting it" is tiresome. Must learn to say "quick first step" and five star recruits while not spelling correctly. Close the boarders.

Turn heel? The way positive comments are rewarded on this board? I'm not the one who said "coaching em up" is a meaningless phrase and "getting it" is tiresome. Must learn to say "quick first step" and five star recruits while not spelling correctly. Close the boarders.

I've read this post 5 times now and can not make sense of what you are trying to say.

I've read this post 5 times now and can not make sense of what you are trying to say.

I think he's a little upset because people have been attacking his posts and thinks that it is unwarranted. He then trys to point out that others make spelling mistakes while he spells flawlessly and that others say the same things that he does with a different vernacular. He wants gopherhole to be fair and people to be allowed to make fun of others but not him... This is my basic feel for what his post is about.

Making sense of things.

Positive comments on this board are widely denigrated, especially by "senior members." Killjoy was the one who asked the question, "What does 'coaching them up mean?'" Those who posted on that thread generally agreed with its author that the phrase was meaningless and something that could have applied to the Brewster era. I thought the phrase meant what a good coaching staff does to improve players' performances. You know, like Wisconsin, Nebraska and Iowa do.
That wouldn't be important, of course, if a program recruited enough Five and Four Star players--which Minnesota has done very, very little of in recent decades. Why even talk about Five Star players when one poster stated that Minnesota hasn't recruited one for thirty years? Someone responded that Mayo Carpenter was a Five Star recruit. Yeah, right.
And I'd sure hate to have a head coach of my program "get it" by working his tail off, knowing what he's doing BEFORE he gets the HEAD job and reaching out widely to fans and the media. After Mason and Brewster, I'm sure there's no need for any of those things in Minnesota.
But you can talk all you want on this board about the "quick first step" a POTENTIAL recruit has ON FILM. Now THAT'S important and a very, very high priority on this board. On the other hand, members here tire immediately of phrases introduced by others (not me) like "coach 'em up" and "getting it."
As a new member I was told repeatedly to wait to post until I was schooled by my learned elders here--the senior members. Apparently, there's even an unstated rule that only senior members can start a new thread. Others who do so are called "pains in the ass."
Minnesota football fans have earned the right to be cynical, I'm sure. But what makes them think they know all there is to know about college football when they've primarily been watching a Gopher program that hasn't been very good for a long, long time? I didn't enjoy watching Hayen Fry's success at Iowa, but I sure learned from it. Just as I did Tom Osbourne's three hours west of here in Nebraska, Bill Snyder at Kansas State in the Big 12 and Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin in the Big 10.
So, I'm learning. Don't start new threads. Use short sentences. Don't worry about spelling (boarders?) and so forth. Is that plain enough for you--even you "senior members?"

Positive comments on this board are widely denigrated, especially by "senior members." Killjoy was the one who asked the question, "What does 'coaching them up mean?'" Those who posted on that thread generally agreed with its author that the phrase was meaningless and something that could have applied to the Brewster era. I thought the phrase meant what a good coaching staff does to improve players' performances. You know, like Wisconsin, Nebraska and Iowa do.
That wouldn't be important, of course, if a program recruited enough Five and Four Star players--which Minnesota has done very, very little of in recent decades. Why even talk about Five Star players when one poster stated that Minnesota hasn't recruited one for thirty years? Someone responded that Mayo Carpenter was a Five Star recruit. Yeah, right.
And I'd sure hate to have a head coach of my program "get it" by working his tail off, knowing what he's doing BEFORE he gets the HEAD job and reaching out widely to fans and the media. After Mason and Brewster, I'm sure there's no need for any of those things in Minnesota.
But you can talk all you want on this board about the "quick first step" a POTENTIAL recruit has ON FILM. Now THAT'S important and a very, very high priority on this board. On the other hand, members here tire immediately of phrases introduced by others (not me) like "coach 'em up" and "getting it."
As a new member I was told repeatedly to wait to post until I was schooled by my learned elders here--the senior members. Apparently, there's even an unstated rule that only senior members can start a new thread. Others who do so are called "pains in the ass."
Minnesota football fans have earned the right to be cynical, I'm sure. But what makes them think they know all there is to know about college football when they've primarily been watching a Gopher program that hasn't been very good for a long, long time? I didn't enjoy watching Hayen Fry's success at Iowa, but I sure learned from it. Just as I did Tom Osbourne's three hours west of here in Nebraska, Bill Snyder at Kansas State in the Big 12 and Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin in the Big 10.
So, I'm learning. Don't start new threads. Use short sentences. Don't worry about spelling (boarders?) and so forth. Is that plain enough for you--even you "senior members?"

That is such a delusional post I don't know where to start. Positive Comments are denigrated? We have our share of people who are negative about everything, but most of us are relentlessly positive. As far as 'coaching them up' is concerned, people agree that coaching is a big part of it, but WI, IA, and NE recruit well too. Many of us delusional fans think it is important to recruit talented players and then coach them well so they can reach their potential. But again, those of who have been on this board awhile are sick of hearing about how Decker and Barber were 2* athletes, therefore making star rating irrelevent. And if you haven't heard, Boise State doesn't recruit 4 and 5* athletes either.

I was never bashed when I started posting here, I'm not sure what you are referring to there. If you started a thread that dealt with an issue that was already being discussed, that bugs people because it clutters the front page, otherwise I don't know what you are talking about. In general, it isn't good form to enter a community of any type, virtual or otherwise, and start picking fights, which you are clearly doing with your last two sentences. My advice would be to take a deep breath, and to take yourself less seriously.

Another way of putting that is whether the game has "slowed down" for Marquies yet? For some guys it never does, regardless of talent level. You see it even more with guys who were all world in college not making it in the NFL.

RBtL of Limegrover's comments, you can tell he has the same concern.

I think this is the biggest issue for whoever the QB will be next year. Going back to Weber, with the switch fromm dunbar's spread plus the beating he took the next two years I think it safe to say that the game may have sped up for him. Who knows what would have happened if he could have stayed upright for his middle couple of years. I think he did a good job reading and recognizing pre-snap, but couldn't keep up once the play started. Hopefully Gray will get the time needed for the game to slow down for him.

It seems like you see this more with guys at the QB position with extreme athletic talent (ability to run), players like Vick (pre prison), Young, etc. Guys that at the first sign of trouble or confusion could pull it down and run for 10+ yards a pop in college.

Hey man, if you're looking to fit in post's like this are probably not going to do you many favors. I'm sorry that you feel butt hurt by perceived internet rules that you don't feel you have to adhere to. My suggestion would be to use this board exactly as you see fit; Spell things wrong, use run on sentences, make sixteen new posts per day about stuff no one else cares about (my favorite was a separate post on a gopher board about whether big ten wins vs. big ten losses are important... short answer: YES). As for us being sick of the phrase coach 'em up? You have to remember that some people have been here for years (yes I know I have a low post count and am obviously new to the site because of this), and some of us lived through the Gopher years with Brewster, things that remind us of that experience are going to get us a little angry. I was at the bank watching coached up players lose to South Dakota, I'm sick of that line of thinking and don't really care what it's called, I want to win. Basically, if something may be important to others on this board please share, but know that in doing so you are opening up yourself for people to pass judgement on. I understand this can be hard sometimes and sometimes people may disagree with you or even call you names but I promise that in the end this is a great place to learn about gopher sports.

I think this is the biggest issue for whoever the QB will be next year. Going back to Weber, with the switch fromm dunbar's spread plus the beating he took the next two years I think it safe to say that the game may have sped up for him. Who knows what would have happened if he could have stayed upright for his middle couple of years. I think he did a good job reading and recognizing pre-snap, but couldn't keep up once the play started. Hopefully Gray will get the time needed for the game to slow down for him.

It seems like you see this more with guys at the QB position with extreme athletic talent (ability to run), players like Vick (pre prison), Young, etc. Guys that at the first sign of trouble or confusion could pull it down and run for 10+ yards a pop in college.

The thing is that guys can get away with this in college. All you need to do is outrun a Linebacker who's probably a future stockbroker and you've got your ten yards. In the pros, though, everybody is fast, so that doesn't play anymore. At some point, if you're gonna play QB, you gotta be able to read defenses. That was Culpepper's failing. After Daunte had all his knee/back injuries he couldn't outrun (or run over) people anymore. And that's when his limitations as a passer manifested themselves.

Quit taking things personally LIG... it's a message board for poop's sake.

I honestly haven't seen a bunch of negativity towards you until this thread. Not saying it hasn't happened, I just haven't seen a whole lot of it. Now a guy like Art, he gets crushed every time he posts but he deserves it. ;)

As for starting new threads, I personally don't care a whole lot about that part but others do. Starting a thread is fine, but starting a bunch of them and clogging up the front page does bother people. You've been here for less than two weeks and have already started 15 threads. Imagine if a bunch of posters started a thread every day.

I'm not sure what to take of the rest of your post. Everyone has opinions, nothing wrong with that. Some will disagree with what you're saying. Some disagree in a nicer way than others but you can't take it personal.

Top Bottom