Doogie interview with former Gopher Jim Carter

This story gets more bizarre the more I think about it.

If I were the university president and Jerry kill submitted his resignation for all the stated reasons, I would've said: "Jerry, go home, rest, take your time and will talk in a week. Claeys can coach the team next Saturday. We'll talk later."

If I were the university president and Jerry kill submitted his resignation for all the stated reasons, I would've said: "Jerry, go home, rest, take your time and will talk in a week. Claeys can coach the team next Saturday. We'll talk later."

Yeah OK, Jerry's just going to walk away and say "Thanks boss I'll sleep through the Michigan game, and come back ready to coach next week." You clearly have no idea how Kill or college coaches in general are wired. You've also failed to listen to what both Kill said in his press conference and what Carter said in the interview about how Kill is an all or nothing guy.

In the end, too many people let Killer do their jobs for them, instead of letting him lead the football program.

A situation where blame shouldn't even be considered you still found a way. Shocking.

Okay. Tell us when you get to the bottom of this. Maybe Jesse Ventura can help you.

Mr Carter doing an interview like this does nothing positive for the football program or the Athletic Dept. It seems more self serving than anything.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Mr Carter doing an interview like this does nothing positive for the football program or the Athletic Dept. It seems more self serving than anything.

Clearly the U of MN does not sanction what Jim Carter said. They will stay silent, let Carter's rant blow over and Carter will be shut out of everything and anything at the University.

The thing is, despite the rawness of what Carter said, he is mostly correct in what he's stated. The U of MN is a massive bureaucracy filled with people who are working an angle to get something for themselves. Carter refused to play that game. He's now burned his bridge and you won't hear from him again.

In the end, I hope someone at the U is capable of getting through the landmines and guiding the troops through the field. We've spent far too long watching this University blow itself up along the way.

Likely we will never know and that is ok. I suspect Kill got tired out and realized the situation couldn't continue. Is it rational how quick the resignation happened? No, but this is not a rational situation. Maybe Kill wanted it done, maybe the U wanted it done. Maybe Rebecca went ballistic after he had a seizure and then admitted that he was off the meds (I doubt he consulted/told anyone when he made that decision) and he realized his family life more important than coaching. Maybe he nearly died in a seizure. Maybe something else completely different happened. I am convinced the resignation is 100% health related. If, like me, you buy into that, nothing else really matters.

Like I said, we will likely never know the exact details. I can live with that.

Thanks for your insight. Anyone who has worked in a college setting was likely nodding as they read your post. A great coach and leader failed because he was always able to outwork his problems and the myriad of things he tried to do eventually overwhelmed him. Too bad Carter was in Kill's office every week taking up precious time instead of trying to find another way to help. In the end, too many people let Killer do their jobs for them, instead of letting him lead the football program.

Wow, what a psychotic chaotic situation. While d#mb@ss Mega-tongue was out trolling for women within the U under the administration's nose, Jerry Kill was doing more than double duty shouldering a lot of the fundraising duties that the AD should have been handling.

Likely we will never know and that is ok. I suspect Kill got tired out and realized the situation couldn't continue. Is it rational how quick the resignation happened? No, but this is not a rational situation. Maybe Kill wanted it done, maybe the U wanted it done. Maybe Rebecca went ballistic after he had a seizure and then admitted that he was off the meds (I doubt he consulted/told anyone when he made that decision) and he realized his family life more important than coaching.

Like I said, we will never know. I can live with that.

Didn't Kill say he hadn't sleep more than 3 hours since he dropped the meds and had two strokes on Tuesday? That means he and Rebecca had time to discuss things and the strokes were the final straw. If that's the case deciding he was gonna resign on Wednesday doesn't seem so hard to understand. Abrupt but understandable.

Jerry said in the past if his health was a problem he'd just quit before anyone asked him .... and he did just that.

You may be right. Get two hours sleep for two months straight (working the other 22), then have two epileptic seizures (likely you're 100-150th one) before going to work. Look you're long suffering wife, two daughters, and you're doctor in the eye, then get back to us.

I've done the sleep deprivation thing. About 2 hours per night. Scary stuff.

falling asleep in the bathroom and putting your elbow through the wall. Fall asleep standing up and cutting your head open.

Not fun.

Not that bizarre. JK is an all or nothing guy. Not like any most of us have met. He does everything all out and can't do anything at any less than 100%. He tried it all - with meds, w/o meds, less hours, etc. He only went to the box when it was temporary - never his long term plan. When he finally realized he couldn't do it his way, 100% his way, and be healthy, he threw in the towel. From all in to all out just like that. Those are the only 2 options in JK's world whether they make sense to you or not.

Not that bizarre. JK is an all or nothing guy. Not like any most of us have met. He does everything all out and can't do anything at any less than 100%. He tried it all - with meds, w/o meds, less hours, etc. He only went to the box when it was temporary - never his long term plan. When he finally realized he couldn't do it his way, 100% his way, and be healthy, he threw in the towel. From all in to all out just like that. Those are the only 2 options in JK's world whether they make sense to you or not.

I generally don't agree with you but I think this is likely spot on.

And on we go- and not necessarily in a worse place than last week.

No, I think O'Brien meant as volunteer somewhere or DIII or something.

I still think the best solution would be Kill as AD or some other high level position in the athletics dept, where he can kind of be CEO or a high level consultant for football like Alvarez is at Wisconsin. He could still go to practice, be around the team, offer father-figure like guidance, but not have the same 20 hour day demands of preparing a game plan for the likes of Michigan.

But you don't know what O'Brien meant for sure. I wish Kill would have just taken a leave of absence and figured this thing out. Maybe it just wasn't that easy.

It almost sounded like he was saying what Kill couldn't say. If Kill says it he sounds like a whiner. Carter jumped in and let us know the burden that Kill was feeling.

Not sure why people just can't accept what Kill said. He's a hell of an actor if that wasn't the genuine raw emotion of a man who realized he couldn't keep doing what he loves without putting his health and maybe his family life in serious danger.

Not sure why people just can't accept what Kill said. He's a hell of an actor if that wasn't the genuine raw emotion of a man who realized he couldn't keep doing what he loves without putting his health and maybe his family life in serious danger.

Because it's more fun to overanalyze things people know nothing about.

The University of Minnesota administration has been and is a disaster. Well said.

You know what I mean...

Wow! Jim Carter!

I had heard this guys name over the years and never saw him speak on camera or on the field and am too young to recall his teams from the end of the Warmath era, but what an interview!!!!!!

Jim Carter cut through all the BS and nailed all the crucial points in a fairly humble but tough way. This is the opposite way of handling things relative to Joel Maturi! What cave have they been hiding Jim Carter in for the last 40 years? This guy is smart, honest, and direct. Holy crap, this guy is 15-20 years older than Jerry Kill and it looks like they became best friends in a hurry. . I sure wish I had a couple of friends like Jim Carter.

If anyone questions how Minnesota fell to the bottom starting in the late 60's , you better watch this interview. His references to the culture here, that no one man can take on without falling, was brilliant. Maybe Barry Alverez or Osborne maybe,, and Kill was that kind of guy, but the illness stopped him.

For that interview, they should put of statue of Jim Carter. He nailed the F'ed up culture that few P5 teams still face. It is still 1971, at least in Minneapolis. His comments on Kahler and Norwood are great.

Wow! Jim Carter!

I had heard this guys name over the years and never saw him speak on camera or on the field and am too young to recall his teams from the end of the Warmath era, but what an interview!!!!!!

Jim Carter cut through all the BS and nailed all the crucial points in a fairly humble but tough way. This is the opposite way of handling things relative to Joel Maturi! What cave have they been hiding Jim Carter in for the last 40 years? This guy is smart, honest, and direct. Holy crap, this guy is 15-20 years older than Jerry Kill and it looks like they became best friends in a hurry. . I sure wish I had a couple of friends like Jim Carter.

If anyone questions how Minnesota fell to the bottom starting in the late 60's , you better watch this interview. His references to the culture here, that no one man can take on without falling, was brilliant. Maybe Barry Alverez or Osborne maybe,, and Kill was that kind of guy, but the illness stopped him.

For that interview, they should put of statue of Jim Carter. He nailed the F'ed up culture that few P5 teams still face. It is still 1971, at least in Minneapolis. His comments on Kahler and Norwood are great.

From the early 80's until the early 2000's he was selling Fords in Eau Claire. Kinda like a cave, right?

Wow! Jim Carter!

You hit the nail on the head. Jim has no aspirations to be the new AD, he is just passionate about his alma mater and the football program. He said all of the things we suspect might be going on over there. There are definitely reasons why we haven't been to a Rose Bowl since 1962 and all of them aren't just bad coaching. For a change, I also thought Soughan's column on Thursday had some interesting things to say about how inept the administration has been throughout the years.

Tough to take a guy wearing that scarf seriously. Also, he came off as a bit of a loon. He is probably spot on, but he'll need others to back him up to have any impact.

Health permitting, I'd love to have Jerry Kill be the next AD now. I know this may never happen, or can it?

Tough to take a guy wearing that scarf seriously. Also, he came off as a bit of a loon. He is probably spot on, but he'll need others to back him up to have any impact.

Well said. It was difficult to look away from the scarf.

Top Bottom