Doogie: Gophers lose; 30 possible coaching candidates to look at

We need Joe the Plumber with Sarah Palin as the new Cheerleader Advisor.

One name I did not see on Doogie's list,but right now might be my number one guy is Auburn OC Gus Malzhan.

Musberger just stated that there will be coaching vacanies (maybe in the Big Ten) that should take a long look at Paul Chryst.

which one is a Tubby, winning record, still fired up, unhappy where he is

Doogie, what is the word, if any, on Maturi? Is he gone in June, meaning he would not be responsible for the new hire?

Doogie, what is the word, if any, on Maturi? Is he gone in June, meaning he would not be responsible for the new hire?

All I know is what Reusse tweeted tonight, and that was from just one booster, so not sure if it's 100% accurate.

4. Carl Pelini, Nebraska defensive coordinator: 46 years old

5. Brent Venables, Oklahoma defensive coordinator: 39 years old

7) Brian Billick: Former Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator, won Super Bowl as head coach with Baltimore

5. Mike Belloti, former Oregon coach

Mark Richt

I would Like these guys and they are realistic. We've never had defense. I'd like a bti of that, or a guy who will demand respect right out the gate as an experienced guy who has credibility. Not a car salesman.

For you and othes....do you believe that Calhoun is as good or better than Johnson at GT?

GT is struggling this year but I think they had a good year last year.

GM

I'd imagine your question is because Calhoun's air force squad runs the triple option - based on his experience in the nfl and at various d-1 levels as OC (and not running option), I'm not convinced he'd bring the option here. I think he's a very interesting candidate though.

What if it's right?

What if its right?
I'm in the construction industry.....so according to your standards all I need to do is construct a building that 'might' stand up or 'might not' stand up.

I think you are full of it and do you actually get paid to do any of this? Whoever puts Brian Billick and Bevell on a list of Gopher Head Coach wish list is not doing one's homework. Bevell should be fired (maybe you should be tweeting about that instead) and there is a reason Billick hasn't been snatched up by anyone the past 3 years.
Seriously consider another field. Maybe you have a voice for radio, but get out of sports. Country Hearth Bread is calling your name!

Examples of how I am "full of it" ??
Who said it was MY wish list? Bevell and Maturi have a relationship, thus he made the list.

Doogie, what is the chance that the U approaches this coaching search in a highly professional manner? Give me a percent here. I mean we have a Pres who is leaving in a handful of month and we have one of the most spineless ADs in America. Can we possible come out of this whole situation happy (as fans)??

I think the end result will be good, but not sure about the process by which they will make the hire... I am with Scoggins though... put together a panel of former players (Hitchcock, Cupito, Brewer, etc.) and let them talk X's and O's with the candidates... forget the marketing and PR aspect... get the best football coach.

A prime example of how you are full of it is if Brew is still a head coach come Monday.

I have a relationship with Maturi since I have season tickets, so why didn't I make your list?
It takes a competant head to understand who and who isn't a 'legit' candidate for the head coaching position. Names like Bevell, and Billick are assinine (sorry for the spelling). And by leaving Dewayne Walker out, who is probably the most experienced former gopher alumni off your list, I would say you really don't do your homework. I wouldn't want him, but that's a whole other story. Maybe we should get Bud Grant back, since his grandson is on the team.....hey that would mean he and Maturi have a relationship.

I think the end result will be good, but not sure about the process by which they will make the hire... I am with Scoggins though... put together a panel of former players (Hitchcock, Cupito, Brewer, etc.) and let them talk X's and O's with the candidates... forget the marketing and PR aspect... get the best football coach.

Are you f'ing kidding me? Get Cupito and Brewer in a room to talk x's and o's? Geezus we are in worse shape than I thought.

How about we get Bobby Bell, Darrell Thompson and Tony Dungy (sorry I hate to throw his name out there) to talk with the candidates? Put the A squad in the game not the c squad.
Did Cupito have to actually read a defense during his 3 years here? Come on.

A prime example of how you are full of it is if Brew is still a head coach come Monday.

I have a relationship with Maturi since I have season tickets, so why didn't I make your list?
It takes a competant head to understand who and who isn't a 'legit' candidate for the head coaching position. Names like Bevell, and Billick are assinine (sorry for the spelling). And by leaving Dewayne Walker out, who is probably the most experienced former gopher alumni off your list, I would say you really don't do your homework. I wouldn't want him, but that's a whole other story. Maybe we should get Bud Grant back, since his grandson is on the team.....hey that would mean he and Maturi have a relationship.

The Dewayne Walker that won 3 games last year and has shown no improvement this year??? Yea lets go get him :rolleyes: Bevelle and Billick are 100x's better suggestions that friggin Dewayne Walker. Stick to the construction biz....

The Dewayne Walker that won 3 games last year and has shown no improvement this year??? Yea lets go get him :rolleyes: Bevelle and Billick are 100x's better suggestions that friggin Dewayne Walker. Stick to the construction biz....

I could call you a tool but I wont, but I guess you couldn't read that I said I wouldn't want him but he sure as hell belongs in ANY discussion when it pertains to a coach with Gopher blood lines. How many D1 coaches are U of M alums? 1? Dewayne Walker?
Did you have to google his name to figure out who he was?

Who is Sonny Garcia anyways? Pretty piss poor moniker if you ask me.

I could call you a tool but I wont, but I guess you couldn't read that I said I wouldn't want him but he sure as hell belongs in ANY discussion when it pertains to a coach with Gopher blood lines. How many D1 coaches are U of M alums? 1? Dewayne Walker?
Did you have to google his name to figure out who he was?

Who is Sonny Garcia anyways? Pretty piss poor moniker if you ask me.

nm:

I think Belotti should be the obvious #1 for pretty much anyone. The guy wants to coach again, he essentially said so. He might get a better opportunity, but i'd imagine most of the better positions would be looking for a younger candidate.

I think he most closely resembles the Tubby situation.

Anyone can correct me if i'm wrong though, but i've heard from a couple people who claim to be in the know (so I don't take it for much), but i've heard that amongst boosters it's Calhoun (than the guy who is at Notre Dame and coached Grand Valley St.)?

Why do I have the sinking feeling Paul Chryst is going to be our next coach?

Why do I have the sinking feeling Paul Chryst is going to be our next coach?

Please god no. I don't think I could stomach that. Praying for Bevell to call the right play for Favre to set-up Longwell to kick the field goal to get us to the Super Bowl was all I could handle. Having to continue to do it this year has me well over my limit.

The only thing that save us from the possibility of Paul Chryst is that he has zero HC experience at any level.

If Maturi is in charge of the hiring process a current or former head coach seems very likely. An outside committee or sorts might be more likely to hire an assistant without head coaching experience. Of Course Chryst is a candidate in part due to his relationship with Maturi. So if Joel doesn't have a say in the decision it probably wouldn't be Chryst.

Top Bottom