Doogie: Gophers lose; 30 possible coaching candidates to look at

Jim Nendel, Maturi pretty much confirmed it today.

Nice little list...odd that he would mention Bevell and not Leslie Frazier.

A rather blatant error by Doogie omitting Mike Hohensee from the "with Minnesota ties" section. haha.

Good list. I would include mike belotti in the list. He didn't leave oregon to just work for espn.

Good list. I would include mike belotti in the list. He didn't leave oregon to just work for espn.

He is on the list.

Dewayne Walker? I don't want em, but just saying anyone with a little gopher sense would know he is a head coach and a former gopher. That makes me think Doogie really doesn't do his homework.

If Brew doesn't get fired after this Purdue loss, should Doogie and his AM1500 crew get banned from talking anything Gopher sports? Is that considered slander coming up with these Brew firing rumors? Can Brew sue AM1500?
Good scoop if its true, but if nothing happens everyone at that station should be ashamed of themselves and maybe think about another line of work.

How about adding Jon Gruden and Steve Mariucci to the list? They are proven coaches with name recognition. Since Dungy isn't interested , I'd take Gruden, Mooch, Peterson and Leach in that order. If they all turned us down, then I'd consider Billick, Calhoun, Trestman and top coordinators in winning programs. Oh and while we are throwing out random names, lets not forget about Denny Green (I hear the snickers coming on that one) but he is better than Mangino.

One name I heard somewhere was former Gophers assistant Jim Zorn...

What about Chris Ault, the head coach at Nevada? He has done a good job at Nevada. His pistol offense is pretty exciting.

How about Dennis Franchione, most recently of Texas A&M. He's looking for a job...

What about Chris Ault, the head coach at Nevada? He has done a good job at Nevada. His pistol offense is pretty exciting.

He's already 64. A little old to be starting over. He's finally having success at Nevada and Boise is leaving the WAC. So I doubt he's going anywhere.

Franchione's too old and has skeletons. Jim Nendel? Good joke. Maturi would be fired the very next day. One name I haven't seen who should at least be in the discussion if Belotti and Fulmer are...Lloyd Carr. I know he's 65 but the other two are 60. Either way the goal would be to come here for about 5 years and stabilize it for one of the coordinators to take over.

....and I saw on another board Mark Whipple, currently the OC at Miami and former UMass head coach who won a d1aa title there as a rumored candidate.

My preference of all the names out there is Belotti. He knows what a winning program is and he can recruit. I'd be very happy if he was on the sidelines as early as next week. I know it won't happen, but I'd actually use my remaining home tickets if someone were to step in.

...lets not forget about Denny Green (I hear the snickers coming on that one) but he is better than Mangino.

I actually mentioned this possibility to some friends a while back. I didn't think Denny got quite enough respect when he was in the NFL, and I bet he'd make a good college coach. There are a number of reasons it might not work, but it's an interesting idea.

I know this will seem arbitrary to a lot of people, and I'm not 100% sure where my motivation is coming from (or if this is a P.C. thing to say) but I'd like to see an african american coach here. I don't doubt that they're under-represented in the coaching ranks, and it follows that there's a lot of untapped talent in the population because of it. Beyond that, it would be nice to contribute to that change in the NCAA culture...and I can think of a number of african american coaches off the top of my head that I would love to see on our sidelines next season.

(1) Fire Maturi NOW

(2) Hire someone that won't be second guessed (wish list)

(3) my guess and hope -throw whatever amount it takes to get Pete (as the call him in Boise)

Nice little list...odd that he would mention Bevell and not Leslie Frazier.

Word on Frazier has him a 99.9% lock for an NFL job... Bevell is much further away from said scenario.

He is on the list.

Dewayne Walker? I don't want em, but just saying anyone with a little gopher sense would know he is a head coach and a former gopher. That makes me think Doogie really doesn't do his homework.

If Brew doesn't get fired after this Purdue loss, should Doogie and his AM1500 crew get banned from talking anything Gopher sports? Is that considered slander coming up with these Brew firing rumors? Can Brew sue AM1500?
Good scoop if its true, but if nothing happens everyone at that station should be ashamed of themselves and maybe think about another line of work.

What if it's right?

I actually mentioned this possibility to some friends a while back. I didn't think Denny got quite enough respect when he was in the NFL, and I bet he'd make a good college coach. There are a number of reasons it might not work, but it's an interesting idea.

I know this will seem arbitrary to a lot of people, and I'm not 100% sure where my motivation is coming from (or if this is a P.C. thing to say) but I'd like to see an african american coach here. I don't doubt that they're under-represented in the coaching ranks, and it follows that there's a lot of untapped talent in the population because of it. Beyond that, it would be nice to contribute to that change in the NCAA culture...and I can think of a number of african american coaches off the top of my head that I would love to see on our sidelines next season.

Green was a college coach for many years. He was the head man at Northwestern for a long time in the early 80's...never led them to more than 4 wins I believe. He also coached a few years at Stanford. His last year there was decent (8 wins and a bowl), which is what led to his springboard to the NFL.

Franchione's too old and has skeletons. Jim Nendel? Good joke. Maturi would be fired the very next day. One name I haven't seen who should at least be in the discussion if Belotti and Fulmer are...Lloyd Carr. I know he's 65 but the other two are 60. Either way the goal would be to come here for about 5 years and stabilize it for one of the coordinators to take over.

Nendel's name has been mentioned more than once. I suspect Joel is giving serious thought to going off continent for this hire.

:cool02::cool02:

As an Aggie...you don't want Coach Fran. trust me.

Top Bottom