Doogie: Gophers coordinators see positives entering spring practice (long Q&A)

Link didn't work for me

Click Here

In case it doesn't work for you too.

By the way, great interviews by Doogie. Too many great quotes to start parsing them out. Good read.

It is hard not to....

.....be excited about spring practice and the upcoming season. These guys know what they are doing. I just need to take baby steps in my enthusiasm.

Go Gophers!

Good work Doogie. It sounds like the bye week last season made a big difference. My untrained eye was able to see the improvement, I hope that it continues. Go Gophers!

Mike Dunbar had a multi-year contract as well. I think multi-year contracts are totally unnecessary. The employment status of the assistant coaches is totally up to the discretion of the head coach. The University has enough risk as an employer with multi-year contracts for head coaches. There is no need to add more risk by placing assistants under multi-year contracts too.

On Gray:

Then on Fridays when the guys have competitions, coach (Eric) Klein (strength coach) said he's getting into faces, he's patting butts, he's cheering, he's talking some smack, and we didn't see that at all last year. That tells me he's pretty comfortable with where he's at right now. That's scary. He can now concentrate on being a great quarterback. I'm really excited about where he's at.

I love hearing that.

On Gillum:

I love James. I won't hide my man-crush.

That's funny.

Great interviews Doogie.

Doogie: So, you need to get to the quarterback. Do you have the right ammo to do so?

T.C. It's a cop-out to blame the kids. We have to find a way to coach them better.

Somebody should tell our basketball coach that quote.

Well, Well done. I can't wait to make some road trips this year and get that damn axe back!

Well done, Doogie!! Good questions, and the responses certainly give hope about the direction of the team on both sides of the line.

Looking forward to spring ball and, of course, next fall. Having a year of teaching and drilling home their expectations behind them strides in individual and and team improvement will hopefully be readily apparent in game preparatons and the weekly battles.

Thanks, and looking forward to similar reports in the future, Doogie.

Go Gophers!!

Love reading this kind of stuff. A lot of grounded optimism from the both coordinators. Can't wait for spring.

Great interviews. I like hearing Gillum is so highly thought of. I believe a good running back will really take the pressure off of Gray. Nice to hear the receivers are posed to surprise in their words. We will probably need to out score everyone this fall. If we go to UNLV and score over 30, I think the the season will go ok. Maybe not a bowl, but close to if not up to one. Still think we'll falter somewhere along the way and lose to someone we should beat.

Doogie: So, you need to get to the quarterback. Do you have the right ammo to do so?

T.C. It's a cop-out to blame the kids. We have to find a way to coach them better.

Yup. Even if you think it is true, immediately blaming the kids in public sends a tough message to both the kids and the fans. Sometimes the players deserve blame, but at the college level they almost never deserve all the blame. Looking at the whole interview, I saw points where he acknowledged that they might have deficiencies but never overtly placed the blame on the kids for the losses. That is an important difference that, as you mentioned, Tubby might want to think about.

Loved these Q&As Doogie has been doing with this coaching staff. Great work, Doogie! (even though I hated how you kept implying that they should lower their goals)

It's a tough call though. Coach Kill was ripped quite a bit this season for "blaming his players". I know the circumstances are a bit different (Kill was ripping on the players he inherited and Tubby is blaming his own players).

Yup. Even if you think it is true, immediately blaming the kids in public sends a tough message to both the kids and the fans. Sometimes the players deserve blame, but at the college level they almost never deserve all the blame. Looking at the whole interview, I saw points where he acknowledged that they might have deficiencies but never overtly placed the blame on the kids for the losses. That is an important difference that, as you mentioned, Tubby might want to think about.

Can you imagine if you could go back in time and have Zebrowski and Limegrover coaching Adam Weber? Half the posts on this board would no longer exist.

Can you imagine if you could go back in time and have Zebrowski and Limegrover coaching Adam Weber? Half the posts on this board would no longer exist.

But they didn't, so drop it. Can we get the words Adam and Weber banned from this forum? I'm so sick of reading the BS that follows whenever someone mentions his name.

But they didn't, so drop it. Can we get the words Adam and Weber banned from this forum? I'm so sick of reading the BS that follows whenever someone mentions his name.

You think you should get away that easily. Don't give me the BS on Weber. Give us your honest to God opinion of him. Does he fold his socks? Does he really put his pants on two legs at a time? C'mon. G've me. G've me. G've me!

(just kidding)

The fits and stomping of feet that happen when Adam Weber's name is tiring, isn't it?

Great interviews Doogie. Looking forward to seeing Gray turn into a good all around QB this year.

Then stop the BS.

It's a tough call though. Coach Kill was ripped quite a bit this season for "blaming his players". I know the circumstances are a bit different (Kill was ripping on the players he inherited and Tubby is blaming his own players).

Yea, but Kill basically did the same thing the coordinators did here. He acknowledged the players part in the problem without explicitly blaming them or throwing anyone under the bus by name. I think the issue was that people were so pissy about HOW the team was losing that they were overreacting to what now looks to be a good answer style.

Wow, you musta really hated Weber. Did he hurt your sister or something?

I don't have a problem with the guy. I'm just sick of reading all the just think what Weber could have done if... He accomplished what he did at the u of m there's no changing it now. Also, with how of a topic Weber is, people who bring him up have got to be ignorant if they don't think that will start some sort of b*tch fest. That's what I'm sick of. The constant arguing of whether or not Adam Weber is any good. Once again, no problem with Adam Weber. How about a discussion about player currently on the team who actually has the ability to take advantage of the present coaching staff's capabilities?

I don't have a problem with the guy. I'm just sick of reading all the just think what Weber could have done if... He accomplished what he did at the u of m there's no changing it now. Also, with how of a topic Weber is, people who bring him up have got to be ignorant if they don't think that will start some sort of b*tch fest. That's what I'm sick of. The constant arguing of whether or not Adam Weber is any good. Once again, no problem with Adam Weber. How about a discussion about player currently on the team who actually has the ability to take advantage of the present coaching staff's capabilities?

So much irony in this post.

If you didn't flip out, there wouldn't be a b*tch fest. People discuss former Gopher players all the time. He was good enough to make Denver's practice squad, and I think they might know a little about talent. And few would argue that the coaching was ideal here.

Top Bottom