Doogie: Coyle knows this can't go on. They (Coyle and Pitino) met on Friday.

The handwriting is on the wall and has been for awhile imo.

Even as Doogie was talking about how they couldn't afford to let Pitino go, it was obvious the team (and the overall program) was imploding and Richard had no clue how to fix it.

The only question is how the hiring process will play out. If there's one thing Coyle has proven when looking for coaches, it's that he's ambitious and decisive, something that was lacking the last time around to the point of settling for Pitino in the first place.

I'll trust his judgment and will wait to see where it all leads.

But, yeah, I have a feeling Coyle has been working things pretty hard behind the scenes if his previous history regarding coach searches is any indication.

I agree that he has proven to be ambitious with his previous hires. What is really head scratching to me with Coyle is that he allowed this situation to get to where it is.

I'm hoping he has a plan, but who knows we never hear anything from him.

I agree that he has proven to be ambitious with his previous hires. What is really head scratching to me with Coyle is that he allowed this situation to get to where it is.

I think Coyle likes Pitino and probably gave him a longer leash as a result.

The handwriting is on the wall and has been for awhile imo.

Even as Doogie was talking about how they couldn't afford to let Pitino go, it was obvious the team (and the overall program) was imploding and Richard had no clue how to fix it.

The only question is how the hiring process will play out. If there's one thing Coyle has proven when looking for coaches, it's that he's ambitious and decisive, something that was lacking the last time around to the point of settling for Pitino in the first place.

I'll trust his judgment and will wait to see where it all leads.

But, yeah, I have a feeling Coyle has been working things pretty hard behind the scenes if his previous history regarding coach searches is any indication.
Agree. I have some belief he had someone ready to replace Pitino last year, but the uncertainty about future dept finanances at the start of the pandemic wouldn’t allow him to pull the trigger And the buyouts required to get rid of him and hire the next guy. Pandemic can’t save Pitino twice!

I get the feeling Covid definitely had an impact, mostly due to the fact that the U probably wanted some level of stability across the board until the full financial fallout could be better determined.

With that said, it was a lose-lose situation. It was either let Pitino go immediately and risk the financial aspect with department-wide uncertainty due to Covid or keep Pitino and let the program continue to fall, which would also lead to financial difficulty later. No real good choices to make.

Now is definitely the time to move however, regardless of Covid. Whether they want to swallow the money now from Covid or later from disinterest in the program, they were going to lose money. Better to act aggressively now than risk further alienating the fan base and the Minnesota basketball community for the future post-Covid.

I agree with others, and think that Coyle liked Pitino, liked how he managed the program (other than W/L's) and thought he had the ability to turn the corner. I think Pitino has the right intensions, is a good communicator, but has not been able to deliver the goods.

Like Tubby before him, I like Pitino, I think he did some good things for the program, was likeable, produced some stars in Gophers uniforms, he ran a pretty clean ship overall (relatively speaking), and really struggled with some bad overall luck and circumstance (primarily, injuries to key players). There is no doubt with some better luck, including with some of the top players sticking around another year instead of leaving early, that Pitino's Gophers had opportunities at higher levels of success that were never realized. That said, P5 bball is a big business and the Gopher bball program has stalled in progress, and hopes of competing at the top level of the B1G are not on the near horizon, including the continued failure of the Gophers to retain top in-state talent. The Gophers have to move on.

I wish Richard and his family well as they move on to the next stage of their lives. And here is hoping we can find that one coach who brings the Gophers back to prominence. I have confidence Coyle will make a good choice.

Pitino had more than enough time to build this program. There were circumstances beyond his control that have to be acknowledged but ultimately his coaching abilities and recruiting abilities were not good enough to overcome those challenges.

Pitino had more than enough time to build this program. There were circumstances beyond his control that have to be acknowledged but ultimately his coaching abilities and recruiting abilities were not good enough to overcome those challenges.
Can not think of anyone who coached 8 years without having to face some things beyond their control. FYI, Lynch was in his control, he decided to have him in the program. Lofton set him back. he did not need to recruit him and there were others. Very few have done worse in 8 years at a power 5 job.

Like Tubby before him, I like Pitino, I think he did some good things for the program, was likeable, produced some stars in Gophers uniforms, he ran a pretty clean ship overall (relatively speaking), and really struggled with some bad overall luck and circumstance (primarily, injuries to key players). There is no doubt with some better luck, including with some of the top players sticking around another year instead of leaving early, that Pitino's Gophers had opportunities at higher levels of success that were never realized. That said, P5 bball is a big business and the Gopher bball program has stalled in progress, and hopes of competing at the top level of the B1G are not on the near horizon, including the continued failure of the Gophers to retain top in-state talent. The Gophers have to move on.

I wish Richard and his family well as they move on to the next stage of their lives. And here is hoping we can find that one coach who brings the Gophers back to prominence. I have confidence Coyle will make a good choice.

This is a great post.

Can not think of anyone who coached 8 years without having to face some things beyond their control. FYI, Lynch was in his control, he decided to have him in the program. Lofton set him back. he did not need to recruit him and there were others. Very few have done worse in 8 years at a power 5 job.

This is a sucky post.

Konate and Diedhiou? I mean....c'mon.
Alabama 5 vs 3?
0-15 or something over a 3 year period on in-state recruits?
The best thing he's done here in 8 years is won the NIT. The "Losers Bracket".

I was excited when he was hired, and all-in for 5-6 years, but the ship has long since sailed.

Best of luck, Richard.

Gee, a whole thread thinking Richard is gonna get fired....maybe.
Coyle has been searching for 18 months minimum. Was he late on Musselman and decided to wait?
Was it Covid finances and a hiring and firing moratorium?
This time he's got his guys in a line...question is can he get him or does he already have him locked up behind closed doors? Or does he have to move to choice two or three? Or has he?
It'll happen quick, once the Big Ten Tournament is over Richard is gone. Then, I pretty sure I would think the choice is coaching in the NCAA Tournament and has to lose first?
Dutcher is 19 and 4 on a 10 game winning streak. By all accounts he'd take the job.
Musselman has his team on fire and depending on who you listen to was interested.
Dennis Gates, Coach of the the Year for the second year in a row in the Horizon likely wouldn't turn us down.
Three possibles with Musselman far out in front.
Does Craig Smith's new contract eliminate him because he's not a sure thing in return for the hefty million dollar plus buyout?
Those four had to be on Coyle's radar, I'd think? But obviously there are many more under consideration.

Top Bottom