Don't worry...Mitch will read option Becky to death.!!

Rupert has had a very difficult twelve years of watching Gopher football and we should indulge him his little fantasies.

Thank-you olddoc. Really though, I just like to yank the trolls that visit the site. I would bet if you would check your Wisconsin sites this morning you would see references to GH comments on the game yesterday. By the way, I'm sure your Becky flag is flying particular high this morning up on the UP. Cheers to you and the Misses.

What Wisconsin does in a game does NOT impact the Gophers. The only impact is when the two teams play each other. I don't give a rat's buttocks what happens to Wisconsin for 11 weeks of the season.

It's like guys who break up with their girlfriend, then obsess constantly about what she's doing and who she's banging. Let it go. The way people on this board carry on about Wisconsin is starting to sound like a bunch of creepy stalkers. Maybe Bucky needs to get a restraining order to keep the Gopher fans from driving by Bucky's house all night long to see who she's going out with.

What Wisconsin does in a game does NOT impact the Gophers. The only impact is when the two teams play each other. I don't give a rat's buttocks what happens to Wisconsin for 11 weeks of the season.

It's like guys who break up with their girlfriend, then obsess constantly about what she's doing and who she's banging. Let it go. The way people on this board carry on about Wisconsin is starting to sound like a bunch of creepy stalkers. Maybe Bucky needs to get a restraining order to keep the Gopher fans from driving by Bucky's house all night long to see who she's going out with.

Lighten up Frances....nothing wrong with a little fire and brimstone. Btw.... it's Becky

If you want to crown them then crown them. Personally, I think you can't read too much into week one - especially as a predicted of what will happen in week 13. A lot will happen in the next 3-months that will have a lot more to do with the result in Madison in late November. Enjoy the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a pretty good idea what will happen the last week in Madison. A win over a 5th ranked LSU team would rank as the biggest win for us in at least 15 years. And we barely win against Oregon State.

I have a pretty good idea what will happen the last week in Madison. A win over a 5th ranked LSU team would rank as the biggest win for us in at least 15 years. And we barely win against Oregon State.

And yet neither game has absolutely any bearing on what will happen the last week in Madison.

I have been interviewing coaches for 30+ years, and one thing they all say is that comparative scores don't mean anything. Team A beats Team B by 10 points, and Team B beats team C by 10 points, so the average fan assumes that Team A should beat Team C by 20 points. It doesn't work that way. Different teams - different schemes - different matchups. You game-plan differently for each opponent. Team A is not necessarily going to run the same plays or coverages against Team C as they did against Team B. every game is a unique situation.

So, with all due respect, you cannot make any kind of prediction about the Gopher - Wisconsin game based on how the Gophers played against Oregon St. and the Badgers played against (an incredibly over-rated) LSU. Between week #1 and week #12, teams may change schemes - they may change personnel. Before you make your prediction, please tell me which teams will have injuries at key positions over the next 11 weeks, and which of those players will be available for the last week of the season. I don't know that - and you don't know that.

Look, I agree 100% that the Gophers did not look great, and the Badgers had a nice win. But, if the first week of the season was an absolute predictor for the rest of the season, there would be no reason to watch. I'm not saying the Gophers will be favored - they most likely will not be favored. BUT, I am NOT going to sit here before Labor Day and proclaim that the season is over, or that the Gophers are doomed.

Let's see what happens this week. I certainly hope the Gophers will show a lot of improvement in week #2. If they don't, then that will raise the level of concern. And, if they still look bad by the 3rd non-conf game, then you can go into full-blown panic mode. It's too early to panic - unless you like to panic - unless you enjoy panic - unless you're looking for an excuse to bash the Gophers - which I honestly believe some people on this board are looking to do!

I have been interviewing coaches for 30+ years, and one thing they all say is that comparative scores don't mean anything. Team A beats Team B by 10 points, and Team B beats team C by 10 points, so the average fan assumes that Team A should beat Team C by 20 points. It doesn't work that way. Different teams - different schemes - different matchups. You game-plan differently for each opponent. Team A is not necessarily going to run the same plays or coverages against Team C as they did against Team B. every game is a unique situation.

So, with all due respect, you cannot make any kind of prediction about the Gopher - Wisconsin game based on how the Gophers played against Oregon St. and the Badgers played against (an incredibly over-rated) LSU. Between week #1 and week #12, teams may change schemes - they may change personnel. Before you make your prediction, please tell me which teams will have injuries at key positions over the next 11 weeks, and which of those players will be available for the last week of the season. I don't know that - and you don't know that.

Look, I agree 100% that the Gophers did not look great, and the Badgers had a nice win. But, if the first week of the season was an absolute predictor for the rest of the season, there would be no reason to watch. I'm not saying the Gophers will be favored - they most likely will not be favored. BUT, I am NOT going to sit here before Labor Day and proclaim that the season is over, or that the Gophers are doomed.

Let's see what happens this week. I certainly hope the Gophers will show a lot of improvement in week #2. If they don't, then that will raise the level of concern. And, if they still look bad by the 3rd non-conf game, then you can go into full-blown panic mode. It's too early to panic - unless you like to panic - unless you enjoy panic - unless you're looking for an excuse to bash the Gophers - which I honestly believe some people on this board are looking to do!

The results from week one are a data point that one would/could use in a prediction. Can't dismiss it entirely, but it's not the whole picture either.

I was underwhelmed by both those teams today, LSU had a decent defense, but Fournette is their
only player on offense.... no qb, no o-line.
Sconnie didn't play tops either, a couple fortunate plays, a miracle kick by the brazilian who misses
as much as he hits.

In the end, LSU at #5 was grossly more overrated than TCU last year at #2..

You must have made a mint betting the Badgers yesterday given you knew how bad LSU was. Did you load up on the money line or take the points?

The results from week one are a data point that one would/could use in a prediction. Can't dismiss it entirely, but it's not the whole picture either.[/QUOTE]

Let alone the game itself. The 1st Half we saw the "bad Mitch" except for that 2nd TD drive. Also some sketchy O.L play in that opening 2 quarters. Then the "good Mitch" showed-up starting on the TD drive to end the 3rd Quarter. Leidner, OL and the DL all looked good in that 4th Quarter.

Prediction based on the 1st half? Maybe 4-5 wins at best. Prediction made on that 3rd Quarter drive to the last possession? 9 to 11 wins.

Yeah, but you're very correct. It's just too damn early. :eek:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400869092

You must have made a mint betting the Badgers yesterday given you knew how bad LSU was. Did you load up on the money line or take the points?

Badgers looked good on Defense. It was still pretty shocking to see how lousy Brandon Harris was. LSU has lost and almost lost, games in the past because of bad QB play. Yesterday the QB was just abysmal. Some has to be attributed to nervousness and the Wisconsin defense, but unless Miles can get that position straightened out, not gonna be a lot of fun down there this season.

My experience with badger fans is much less positive when visiting visiting Madison. Just quietly walking to stadium I was routinely called ***, ******, etc. Even when one time with my in-laws who were in badger gear.

There were some nice badger fans but the consistent slurs sours it. I've I've traveled other stadiums without experience that b.s.. good natured ribbing is one thing being called *** for walking stadium to cheer my team isn't ribbing.

Ruppert,

Please, for the love of God, do not hit that link.

Mrs. Rupert will have a hell of mess to clean up after your head explodes and it just wouldn't be fair.

Plus, I would miss your insightful commentary.

Love,

Badgerdoc

Thank-you very little. I am sure if you turn over enough rocks you'll find a kinder, gracious, Badger fan. In my game travels to your little Hamlet a good majority of them have the manners and mindset of Neanderthals with the only thing missing is the club.

Thank-you very little. I am sure if you turn over enough rocks you'll find a kinder, gracious, Badger fan. In my game travels to your little Hamlet a good majority of them have the manners and mindset of Neanderthals with the only thing missing is the club.

Love Ya Rupie!

Lets be real if LSU had a competent OC they win. It boggles my mind that they wouldn't feed Leonard Ferdette. That WB was trash but Cameron kept putting the ball in his hands. The utter failure to establish the run with that line and a once in a generation talent at running back is deplorable. How in the hell was that guy an NFL head coach.

So we can't extrapolate anything from week #1, but if the trend continues through week #3 then we can???

Most people come onto GH because they are fans, not to bash the team. And just because some don't always see the glass half full doesn't mean they are less of a fan than you. I personally have high expectations and am sick of an apathetic fan base that is content with mediocrity.

<b>So we can't extrapolate anything from week #1, but if the trend continues through week #3 then we can???</b>

Most people come onto GH because they are fans, not to bash the team. And just because some don't always see the glass half full doesn't mean they are less of a fan than you. I personally have high expectations and am sick of an apathetic fan base that is content with mediocrity.

By definition you can draw a line in any direction through 1 data point. Not true through 3 data points. So the bolded part may be true even if it doesn't fit your dooms day agenda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exactly correct! Last year in the non conference Illinois beat Kent State 52-3 and we beat Kent State 10-7. Yet in week 12 we beat Illinois 32-23. If we were going off of how each team fared against the same non conference foe we should have lost to Illinois 52-6. No one knows from week one how the season will play out.

Auburn was ranked 6 in last year's preseason poll and in week 2 needed overtime to beat Jacksonville State. Everyone thought JSU must be pretty good, but it turned out that Auburn was not very good. I think LSU was overrated and Wisconsin was underrated. Time and more games will make the picture clearer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If the MN/WI game were played this Saturday WI would be favored by at least ten points.
Having seen both teams, at this point WI has better players on both sides of the ball.

If the MN/WI game were played this Saturday WI would be favored by at least ten points.
Having seen both teams, at this point WI has better players on both sides of the ball.

I agree olddoc, but the game is several weeks away. A lot can happen.

We get it. You're a Wisconsin fan.

Let's see what the season holds for both teams.

We get it. You're a Wisconsin fan.

Let's see what the season holds for both teams.

It makes sense that he is pimping Wisconsin, as he is a Wisconsin fan. What doesn't make sense is why so many Gophers "fans" are here on a daily basis informing us of how terrible the Gophers are going to be this year. What's the point? I get it that optimism isn't cool, but what else is in their agenda?

It's therapy. Homo sapiens need to talk it out. I don't get overly uptight about it. Some people do.

I think the vast majority of fans understand it was a sloppy game, the team is a work in process, but they have a chance against every team on the schedule. I was unimpressed by LSU. Fournette, to my eye looked like he was nursing some sort of leg injury. Their QB is bad. Wisconsin played a good game. Add it up and you get the result. Like you said this past week has no bearing on the MN/ Wisconsin game.

It's therapy. Homo sapiens need to talk it out. I don't get overly uptight about it. Some people do.

I think the vast majority of fans understand it was a sloppy game, the team is a work in process, but they have a chance against every team on the schedule. I was unimpressed by LSU. Fournette, to my eye looked like he was nursing some sort of leg injury. Their QB is bad. Wisconsin played a good game. Add it up and you get the result. Like you said this past week has no bearing on the MN/ Wisconsin game.

I agree - voicing concerns about the team is perfectly reasonable and logical. Immediately going the "ohmigod, we're going to be terrible and we'll be lucky to win 6 games" Chicken Little route is not only tedious and obnoxious, it's incompatible with being a fan. Being an interested observer and a fan are not the same thing.

It's a long season, I wasn't impressed with Wisconsin's offense, they left a lot of points on the board due to LSU ineptness. Even with out Caputo their secondary is still very good. Wasn't impressed with the front seven, thought LSU ran all over them when they actually decided to do it. Tough first start for Houston he will get better, but he's not going to strike fear into the opponent. I am sure it'll be a good game at the end of the season between two teams with similarish records. Probably come down to whoever is better in the trenches, where both our favorite discussed teams need to play better

It was a quality win for Sconny, period. I actually hope it holds up as a big win for them, and they stay competitive in the gauntlet stretch they have coming up. It helps us down the stretch and will make that last game in Madison even bigger for the Gophs. Of course we need to take care of business along the way.

Lets be real if LSU had a competent OC they win. It boggles my mind that they wouldn't feed Leonard Ferdette. That WB was trash but Cameron kept putting the ball in his hands. The utter failure to establish the run with that line and a once in a generation talent at running back is deplorable. How in the hell was that guy an NFL head coach.

They wanted to get Jimmer Fournette more involved

Honest flipped scenario question:

If the Gophers beat #5 LSU (an SEC power) on national T.V. with College Game Day in town, in front of a sold out crowd, by a score of 16-14, while WI squeaked by Oregon State 30-23 at home with thousands of empty seats, would we be equally as dismissive of both that #5 LSU team we just beat, and our subsequent chances of beating Wisconsin in November?

The correct answer is that we would all be going insane, crowning Tracy Claeys as the next Barry Alvarez, foaming at the mouth about WI's poor performance against an equally poor Oregon State crew, starting new threads about our chances at winning the Big Ten Championship, and buying tickets en masse to the game Camp Randall.

Don't be ridiculous... it was a big time win for a good Bucky team.

As other posters alluded, this kind of annual, obsessive forecasting of Wisconsin falling apart is what is wrong with Gopher football. We need to spend less time wringing our hands about what's going on in Madison, and focus on how we can get better.

Top Bottom