Donnell Kirkwood

fryguy22

Maroon and Gold from birth
Reaction score
I thought he ran really well today - tough, downhill, solid running. I hope to continue seeing more of him in the future, hopefully today was the start of a coming out party for him.

I thought it was Kirkland?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Awesome to see the big fella running downhill today. He runs with a mission, with some serious authority. Great change of pace from Bennett. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

He's a lil bowling ball with vision when with the football, and I loved when he would lower the pads and jack the first LB that met him at the line. Would love to see more of him and Lamonte Edwards as well. Bennett just isn't cutting the defense as a Rback..

He should be a the starter.

Bennett is not getting the job done as a running back. He is a good pass catcher and he will pick up the blitz as a blocker but he is a 3rd down back at best. Lets also say this Gopher team is building for the future. The future is not about Bennett but Kirkwood and Edwards are the future of the position and should be getting the touches. Kirkwood reminded me some of Gary Russell today it was not easy for the first guy to bring him down.

It was real nice to see him get carries today. In my view (which has been the same since the Middle TN State game last year), he is the best RB on the team. His vision and ability to make a guy miss are far superior to Bennett.

Loved the way he absolutely pancaked #38 on the run up the middle.

Loved the way he absolutely pancaked #38 on the run up the middle.

That was awesome! Did a great job, and glad he's back. I think he's going to really add to our running game. He certainly is going to be able to bulldoze through people Bennett could not.

Yep, he definitely runs the hardest of our RBs. I hope Edwards took notice of how Kirkwood runs the ball. We have a couple nice young players back there.

Bennett is not getting the job done as a running back. He is a good pass catcher and he will pick up the blitz as a blocker but he is a 3rd down back at best. Lets also say this Gopher team is building for the future. The future is not about Bennett but Kirkwood and Edwards are the future of the position and should be getting the touches. Kirkwood reminded me some of Gary Russell today it was not easy for the first guy to bring him down.

agree. I'm hoping we seee a lot more of kirkwood on 1st and 2nd down, and bennett on 3rd. I'm very encouraged by the way this young kid runs with poser.

Edwards didn't have a single carry during the game. Does anybody recall him even being in the game?

Edwards didn't have a single carry during the game. Does anybody recall him even being in the game?

He played special teams, i'm not sure if he got into the game on offense. He had a pretty bad play last week (NMSU), which Kill just chewed him out on the sidelines and it was even pointed out by the coaches on one of the interview shows. So they might be teaching him a lesson or just like Kirkwood more in that role (for now).

So we've now moved from universal disagreement to universal agreement with what I said at the start of the season.

Lol.

;)

He's a lil bowling ball with vision when with the football, and I loved when he would lower the pads and jack the first LB that met him at the line.

Seconding this. He absolutely leveled a linebacker yesterday like the USC DB last year. Love to see such physicality in the run game, it's been missing since Gary Russell.

Did you notice Bennett made a spin move in the hole, where Kirwood had BYOB. Bennett got to the sidelines, and Coach Kill was there to meet him. It was short and to the point.

I loved Kirkwood as well...

However, all the calls for Edwards to get more carries is B.S.

He may be bigger than Donnell but he sure hasn't run like it when he's had the football in his hands this season. If it were up to me,
Lamonte would be moved to defense. In fact, I bet he starts on D before he gets a start in the offensive backfield.

Great first step and great better field vision than Bennett. Bennett does some things well, but he's just not an every-down back.

I loved Kirkwood as well...

However, all the calls for Edwards to get more carries is B.S.

He may be bigger than Donnell but he sure hasn't run like it when he's had the football in his hands this season.

On ESPN:

Kirkwood is listed at 5'10" 215 lbs.
Edwards is 6'2" 210 lbs.

Height usually works against a power running back, except if your name is AP. 215 lbs on a 5'10" frame is much more powerful than 210 is on 6'2" on average.

AP is a freak and one of those once in a generation guys, but the "tall running back" is a disappearing species to a great extent. Used to be quite a few of them back in the 1960s and 1970s (Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, Eric Dickerson, Franco Harris--All at least 6-2), but the more compact back has been more in vogue lately.

Only thing I see on Edwards that really sticks out for me is a bit of freshman hesitation, which makes it difficult for me to make a critique.

I hope that with a little more time that Edwards gets it all figured out. I think the combination of him and Kirkwood could be dangerous. Kirkwood banging into guys and wearing out a defense before Edwards comes in and takes one to the house. Edwards needs to watch some tape of AP and take some notes on how he runs so that he may use his size and motor to maximize his abilities.

Kirkland needs a sweet nick name. Also, I'm thinking Arby's for lunch.

Kirkwood/land is a better RB, but not a better HB when compared to Bennett. We shouldn't have any worries at the HB position next year or two because I fully believe he'll be a better well rounded with the work this staff is putting into the RBs and yet he'll be able to be a Gary Russell (still is sad to hear how his last year ended here).

We also seem to have a lot of people who didn't watch the MTSU game last year.

I still think it was Dave Lee that messed up his name. lol

Ask and you shall receive

Originally Posted by Killjoy

We seem to have a lot of people here who shop at COSCO. His name is Kirkwood.

I can't believe I am wasted my time in posting a link to the offical Minnesota Gopher football roster. Here it is:
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/minn-m-footbl-mtt.html

And here is his offical info:
20 Kirkwood, Donnell Running Back 5-10 215 RS FR Delray Beach, Fla. (Atlantic)

If you want to buy his offical product just look for the Kirkland brand at COSCO.

I can't believe I am wasted my time in posting a link to the offical Minnesota Gopher football roster. Here it is:

If you want to buy his offical product just look for the Kirkland brand at COSCO.

Soooo many posts above your head. I'll be the nice guy and fill you in: Last year against MTSU, either Dave Lee or someone on the BTN continued multiple times calling Donnell "Kirkland" instead of his REAL name (which you obviously already know). These guys are fooling with you for not being 'astute'.

There, now you owe me, big time. These guys will chew me up for fillin' you in. =)

Last year against MTSU, either Dave Lee or someone on the BTN continued multiple times calling Donnell "Kirkland" instead of his REAL name (which you obviously already know).
It was the guys on ESPNU, FWIW.

Formo

Soooo many posts above your head. I'll be the nice guy and fill you in: Last year against MTSU, either Dave Lee or someone on the BTN continued multiple times calling Donnell "Kirkland" instead of his REAL name (which you obviously already know). These guys are fooling with you for not being 'astute'.

There, now you owe me, big time. These guys will chew me up for fillin' you in. =)

Thanks for the insight. I guess I didn't realize that so many people actually listened to Dave Lee. But what I reallly don't get is how does listening to Dave makes them astute.

COSCO doesn't make Kirkland products either.

Top Bottom