Done Deal - All Chips In

Probably Right

I can assure you that some (probably most, assuming people can be reasonable/sane) would not expect a top three finish.

That probably is too optimistic. I was trying to be positive. Two things: Lots of people on here have given me the impression Trevor would be our best player. A difference maker. That remains to be seen. My greater point....if Tubby does not flourish this year or next year... it looks really suspect that there are impact people in the present sophomore or freshman classes. Plus, the 2011 class is not wowing me so far.

Trying to be optimistic but in reality we seem closer to below middle, (especially, with just any adversity-we have no margin for absences) which is why I am concerned.

Tubby's recruiting the same way he did at Kentucky: Sleepers, under the radar types and some real head scratchers mixed in with a sprinkling of great prospects. Some of those sleepers and head scratchers will pan out. Others will not. Tubby's doing the job Minnesota hired him to do: return the program to respectability (check), provide a stabilizing influence after a decade's worth of turbulence (check), return to the tournament (check) and become a factor in the Big 10 (check).

Tubby's just not going to recruit the talent consistently it's going to take to make Minnesota a consistent Top 3 program in the Big 10. It's just not going to happen. What he will do is recruit to a program that every 4-5 years or so will be experienced enough and just talented enough as a whole to make a Sweet 16 type run and challenge for the Big 10 title. And I think most Gopher fans, the ones that are honest with themselves, would take that and be content. The other years? It's probably going to be up and down a bit because the roster is always going to be turning over, kids don't pan out, chemistry is an issue. But when it happens, when everything clicks for him..I think you'll be happy with the results.

So getting down on a reach offer or throwing in the towel because you've never heard of a kid or don't like his offer sheet isn't the end of the world.

Sorry but I have to correct the false Truth. Tubby signed a mixture of very highly regarded players, a few KY players, and so-called sleepers. Two of the latter (Gerald Fitch and Erik Daniels) turned out better than the primary targets that year.

He signed (10) Parade HS All-Americans, 7 of whom were also McDonalds All-Americans. Very similar numbers to his predecessor (Pitino) at UK. Neither is a match for John Calipari as a recruiter.

1998 - HS A-A Tay Prince. 1999 - HS A-A Keith Bogans and the late Marvin Stone. 2000 - HS A-A Cliff Hawkins and Jason Parker. 2001 - HS A-A Chuck Hayes and Rashaad Carruth. 2002 - HS A-A Kelenna Azubuike and JC A-A Antwain Barbour. 2003 - 0 HS A-A or JC A-A. 2004 - HS A-A Randolph Morris, Rajon Rondo, and Joe Crawford. 2005 - JC A-A Rekalin Sims. 2006 - HS A-A Jodie Meeks. 2007 - verbal commitment HS A-A Draymond Green for 2008.

So far at Minnesota, 2008 - JC A-A Devron Bostick. 2009 - HS A-A Royce White and JC A-A Trevor Mbakwe. 2010 - 0 HS A-A or JC A-A.

Tubby made Sweet 16 in 6 out of 10 seasons at UK, not once every 4-5 years. He's made it 9 times in 19 years as HC, not once every 4-5 years. He won 7 conference titles in 19 years, too.

He recruited well enough at UK to make Kentucky the top SEC program over 10 years, best W-L record in that timeframe, most SEC titles, most SECT championships, etc. But the Big 10 is MUCH TOUGHER than the SEC was (or is).

Sorry, it's just gotten to the point where everything that FOT posts is worthless and annoying to me. If he hasn't become annoying to you yet it probably means you simply aren't on this message board very often. He has 3000+ posts arguing with people about Tubby (close to 6,000 total and he's admittedly not even a Gopher fan) and single handedly takes over the board sometimes. His facination with Tubby is beyond weird and it almost seems as if he values Tubby's reputation more than he values his own life. It starts to get a little creepy when someone dedicates their days to defending someone they don't even know on message boards and via email with other people they've never even met.

I support your right to ay something like that but disagree with you.

Yes, I hope Purdue wins every Big 10 game we play. But we won't.

You must have missed my criticism of Gopher coaches in 2010. Now 2008 was good (turning 9-22 into 20-14) and 2009 not bad (22-12) but 2010 was a disappointment - should have been 25+ W even without Trevor, Royce, and half of Nolen. 2011 must approach those numbers.

21-13 (average record) will diminish his reputation more than anything that could be typed here. 0-3 in postseason play won't, either.

The problem is this was taken from a small county Arkansas newspaper story, based on a guy trying to talk up the competition. For various reasons, sometimes people just get it wrong. I could probably find hundreds of articles that claim eating feces is cool and healthy, but it doesn't mean it's true.

BTW - I think LeBato's dad was their coach at Sulphur. I'm sure the LSU fans are excited to cheer on Matt this season - maybe they'll stop out for the games at LA-Monroe and LA-Lafayette when his college - the University of Denver - visits for conference clashes.

BTW2 - For whatever reason, I like to know where kids are from... Sulphur is in the SW part of the state.. 'suburb' of Lake Charles. Gotta think it's not more than a 20 or 30 minute drive to the Texas border. This is not anywhere near where Damian was from... a good three hours away.

BTW3 - Jennie Finch's husband, Casey Daigle - a part of the Twins organization for a very short time (thankfully) and former MLB first round pick/bust - went to Chip's high school.

That's why I clipped the July 2008 Scout.com article, too. There is a Texas HS article that says it also.

LeBato's Dad was their HS coach. Of course, neither wound up at LSU. But LSU wanted them in 2008.

Point about Damian was that a underrated Class 5A All-Stater from Louisiana can succeed at Minnesota. He did, why not Armelin?

The standard cannot be Monson. He failed. He got fired for poor performance. Doing better than Monson is a given to retain the position. But at least give Monson some credit.

"Monson’s second recruiting class in Gold Country netted one of the top 10 classes in the nation, according to many recruiting publications. National Junior College All-American Jerry Holman and McDonald’s All-American Rick Rickert made an immediate impact in 2001-02. Rickert was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year, the first in school history, and Holman worked his way into the starting lineup by the beginning of the Big Ten season.

Impressively, Monson has coached three NBA draft picks, two of those selected in the lottery, in his five seasons in Gold Country. Joel Przybilla was selected in the 2000 draft in the first round by the Houston Rockets with the ninth pick. The Minnesota Timberwolves tabbed Rick Rickert in the second round in 2003, and in 2004, Kris Humphries was selected by the Utah Jazz with the 14th pick of the first round.

Vincent Grier named to All-Big Ten First Team status, marking the third straight year a Gopher has earned the first team accolade. Greier was selected by the Miami Heat." That's from the Gopher website.

Monson also recruited Hoffarber and Nolen. In addition, Monson recruits Abu-Shamala, Jon Williams, Westbrook, Dan Coleman, Tollackson and McKenzie all helped Tubby.

If Trevor plays this year, I don't think anyone expects anything but a top three conference finish.
It is down the road that has people concerned with Tubby's role players recruiting class of 2010 and nobody in the hopper for 2011. Do we have an NBA prospect on the roster? If even the departed Royce White was that caliber wouldn't he have declared this spring? If Rodney Williams is NBA potential, shouldn't he be good enough in college to play? Ralph and Colton are not NBA players in waiting. They happen to be tall. They are nice Gopher players. I have not seen Trevor play since high school...hopefully he hits the court. Devoe is your last chance for Tubby to have an NBA draftee. Monson had four NBA draftees if I didn't forget somebody. Dan Coleman was also close.

Oh ya, and knock Monson....he was on probation forever....not his doing. Tubby has not been here as long but he has to recruit somebody new to catch Monson by your standard of NBA talent or four and five star recruits. Or did Monson develop his guys better?

And I am not a Monson guy at all. Much more so a Tubby guy. They play harder for Tubby than Monson, but Tubby needs to recruit somebody who can score.

Ill agree monson got some solid recruits. But they were one and done or two and done. And weren't coming here for monson but for the immediate PT and they were from here.

As far as westbrook, grier, etc. They were solid players and rated similarily to many tubby is being forced to recruit late (also not really his fault due to transfers, etc.) But to me coaching isn't Just recruiting and tubby gets wins. Its that simple. Never losing to Wisconsin is awesome.people can complain about tubbys recruits but I am curious what they will say when they r working hard and the W's start coming.

Note: that wasn't all directed At u as u did point out tubby being the better coach, but some r acting like he should be fired for signing recruits that they have never heard of

I laugh when people second-guess recruiting decisions on players they have never even seen play. Don't you think Coach Smith has a FAR better viewpoint of the situation? I certainly trust his expertise in evaluating talent and molding a roster.

Ding ding ding ding ding!

And on Monson recruiting, yeah, he did have a few duds. But he also had some nice recruits, too. Problem was he could not develop them (i.e. Michael Bauer).

Yeah.. there was no LSU offer.

Myron's article also says, "Chip Armelin said he will sign a letter of intent Sunday to play for the Gophers."... and while Chip may have very well said it, he of course won't really sign a letter of intent. I did like the, "I also have to say that the facilities were pretty good" comment..

GW - I found that quite curious, as well.

Signing letter of intent

I am curious. Why won't he really sign a letter of intent?

so does this mean we still have 3 or 4 schollys for 2011 if trevor plays or does the grant in aid count as a scholarship

so does this mean we still have 3 or 4 schollys for 2011 if trevor plays or does the grant in aid count as a scholarship

Gophers will have 13 on scholarship if Mbakwe comes back and Osenieks clears NCAA eligibility.

The grant-in-aid is an athletic scholarship.

If all 13 are on roster, Gophers would have 2 open scholarships in 2011 class - Hoffarber and Nolen.

Why wouldn't people on here want to read those 4 posts? They are related to our newest incoming player. I guess your post is more worthy... another post bashing FOT. I know it's the fad around here these days, but at least pick your battles.

Four consecutive worthless posts that no one wants to read in the same thread by FOT. The sooner he gets banned the sooner Gopher Hole becomes enjoyable again.

Why wouldn't people on here want to read those 4 posts? They are related to our newest incoming player. I guess your post is more worthy... another post bashing FOT. I know it's the fad around here these days, but at least pick your battles.

Overreacted. Anyone else would have posted those I wouldn't have considered them worthless, it's just gotten to the point where I'm sick of reading anything he has to say and he happened to make 4 consecutive posts without anyone even responding. I don't know if it's the 3000+ posts of him desperately defending Tubby with mind numbingly repetitive stats, 1000+ posts of him calling people numb nuts, pee brain, or any other various immature names, or some of his more random posts such as when he recently posted his entire resume, but there's something about him that makes me wish he wouldn't post here anymore.

It's great that he likes to defend our recruits, but it just doesn't mean that much to me because I'm convinced that the only reason he's defending them is because Tubby is the one who offered. If Tubby offered the single worst basketball player of all time, I'm willing to bet FOT would defend him too.

I may not have the greatest posts ever, but I also don't make 100 posts per day and single handedly take over threads and sometimes the entire board.

Overreacted. Anyone else would have posted those I wouldn't have considered them worthless, it's just gotten to the point where I'm sick of reading anything he has to say and he happened to make 4 consecutive posts without anyone even responding. I don't know if it's the 3000+ posts of him desperately defending Tubby with mind numbingly repetitive stats, 1000+ posts of him calling people numb nuts, pee brain, or any other various immature names, or some of his more random posts such as when he recently posted his entire resume, but there's something about him that makes me wish he wouldn't post here anymore.

It's great that he likes to defend our recruits, but it just doesn't mean that much to me because I'm convinced that the only reason he's defending them is because Tubby is the one who offered. If Tubby offered the single worst basketball player of all time, I'm willing to bet FOT would defend him too.

I may not have the greatest posts ever, but I also don't make 100 posts per day and single handedly take over threads and sometimes the entire board.

You missed that. Adam Williams at UK. Nice young man, but not Div I caliber basketball player. 2X All-State and Gatorade POY in WV but couldn't even cut it at Marshall, much less UK.

ALL COACHES make recruiting mistakes.

Ill agree monson got some solid recruits. But they were one and done or two and done. And weren't coming here for monson but for the immediate PT and they were from here.

The same could be said about Royce White coming here. He was coming here no matter who the coach was-just ask him if you can find him. Whatever reason the recruits had for coming here means nothing. The coach either got him or not. Monson got some really good ones and lost on others. Tubby hasn't had more success in that department.

I'm not a Monson guy at all. In fact, I couldn't stand him as a coach. I'll even add that he has been my least favorite coach we've had since I've been following the team (70's to now). Couldn't inspire better play from his players at all, but he wasn't a total failure at recruiting.

I'm a Tubby guy for now, but I have not been wowed like I thought I'd be.

The same could be said about Royce White coming here. He was coming here no matter who the coach was-just ask him if you can find him. Whatever reason the recruits had for coming here means nothing. The coach either got him or not. Monson got some really good ones and lost on others. Tubby hasn't had more success in that department.

I'm not a Monson guy at all. In fact, I couldn't stand him as a coach. I'll even add that he has been my least favorite coach we've had since I've been following the team (70's to now). Couldn't inspire better play from his players at all, but he wasn't a total failure at recruiting.

I'm a Tubby guy for now, but I have not been wowed like I thought I'd be.

Too hard on Monson, I think. He succeeded Haskins, who brought the Gophers their first sustained (regular) basketball success from the 1960's on.

Except for 2007, his teams were decent. Not great. Not as good as Haskins' teams overall.

Too hard on Monson, I think. He succeeded Haskins, who brought the Gophers their first sustained (regular) basketball success from the 1960's on.

Except for 2007, his teams were decent. Not great. Not as good as Haskins' teams overall.

That kind of was my point. I personally didn't like him as a coach, but he recruited as well (the first few years) as some other Gopher head coaches.

Tubby, Clem, and Dutcher were much better game coaches imo. I can't say those same guys were light years better at recruiting. All had several very good recruiting years, but none were very consistant year after year.

Maybe it was too much to assume Tubby would blow everyone else away, but I don't think anyone expected the sudden drop for 2010/2011's recruiting classes.

Fair enough. Some of the stats and comparisons do get repetitive. There are plenty of times to say something. I've just been noticing people calling out stuff where it's really unnecessary and then everyone gangs up and it really just turns into a cat fight.

That kind of was my point. I personally didn't like him as a coach, but he recruited as well (the first few years) as some other Gopher head coaches.

Tubby, Clem, and Dutcher were much better game coaches imo. I can't say those same guys were light years better at recruiting. All had several very good recruiting years, but none were very consistant year after year.

Maybe it was too much to assume Tubby would blow everyone else away, but I don't think anyone expected the sudden drop for 2010/2011's recruiting classes.

The 2010 class was supposed to be 3 recruits - big man, shooting guard, and Cory Joseph. The Gophers landed 2 good big men, very good shooting guard, but missed out on Cory Joseph. But Royce White wasn't expected to leave when that class was being recruited, nor were Justin Cobbs and Paul Carter expected to transfer.

The 2011 class is supposed to be 2 recruits - shooting guard for Hoffarber and point guard for Nolen. There are at least 2 good candidates for each.

Unimpressed. Good basketball players are hard to hide these days. I doubt Tubby found a diamond in the rough here. Looks and smells like a reach to me.

[Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth
Tubby's recruiting the same way he did at Kentucky: Sleepers, under the radar types and some real head scratchers mixed in with a sprinkling of great prospects. Some of those sleepers and head scratchers will pan out. Others will not. Tubby's doing the job Minnesota hired him to do: return the program to respectability (check), provide a stabilizing influence after a decade's worth of turbulence (check), return to the tournament (check) and become a factor in the Big 10 (check).

Tubby's just not going to recruit the talent consistently it's going to take to make Minnesota a consistent Top 3 program in the Big 10. It's just not going to happen. What he will do is recruit to a program that every 4-5 years or so will be experienced enough and just talented enough as a whole to make a Sweet 16 type run and challenge for the Big 10 title. And I think most Gopher fans, the ones that are honest with themselves, would take that and be content. The other years? It's probably going to be up and down a bit because the roster is always going to be turning over, kids don't pan out, chemistry is an issue. But when it happens, when everything clicks for him..I think you'll be happy with the results.

So getting down on a reach offer or throwing in the towel because you've never heard of a kid or don't like his offer sheet isn't the end of the world.

Sorry but I have to correct the false Truth. Tubby signed a mixture of very highly regarded players, a few KY players, and so-called sleepers. Two of the latter (Gerald Fitch and Erik Daniels) turned out better than the primary targets that year.

He signed (10) Parade HS All-Americans, 7 of whom were also McDonalds All-Americans. Very similar numbers to his predecessor (Pitino) at UK. Neither is a match for John Calipari as a recruiter.

1998 - HS A-A Tay Prince. 1999 - HS A-A Keith Bogans and the late Marvin Stone. 2000 - HS A-A Cliff Hawkins and Jason Parker. 2001 - HS A-A Chuck Hayes and Rashaad Carruth. 2002 - HS A-A Kelenna Azubuike and JC A-A Antwain Barbour. 2003 - 0 HS A-A or JC A-A. 2004 - HS A-A Randolph Morris, Rajon Rondo, and Joe Crawford. 2005 - JC A-A Rekalin Sims. 2006 - HS A-A Jodie Meeks. 2007 - verbal commitment HS A-A Draymond Green for 2008.

So far at Minnesota, 2008 - JC A-A Devron Bostick. 2009 - HS A-A Royce White and JC A-A Trevor Mbakwe. 2010 - 0 HS A-A or JC A-A.

Tubby made Sweet 16 in 6 out of 10 seasons at UK, not once every 4-5 years. He's made it 9 times in 19 years as HC, not once every 4-5 years. He won 7 conference titles in 19 years, too.

He recruited well enough at UK to make Kentucky the top SEC program over 10 years, best W-L record in that timeframe, most SEC titles, most SECT championships, etc. But the Big 10 is MUCH TOUGHER than the SEC was (or is).

I honestly think that The Truth has other agendas. Otherwise why would he lie like this when he says that he has no hate for Tubby? Yes your wife is black but I have no reason to keep you out of that racist list of UK fans.

Please tell me at what year UK was not a title contender in SEC under Tubby? It was only two years that Florida had that unreal talent. Atlanta was changed to Catlanta because year after year Tubby delivered. Stop the BS. Please tell the truth, were you overlooked by Tubby during a recruiting event? Were you dreaming of playing at UK and Tubby crushed that dream? Please tell us the truth and stop this crap.

Tubby will deliver here too. It was such an unlucky year for the Gophers and Tubby last year. If you attended the tipoff last year, you would have seen what he had recruited. He really had a bunch of good players. Unfortunately, because of Royce and Trevor’s situation, things did not go to the direction that we liked. However, we still made the title game in INDY.

Just let it go. It is unhealthy.

Go Gophers

I like Chip's signing more than either of the other late signees cause of one simple reason: Athleticism. The kid will at the very least become a good defensive player under Tubby just from being an athlete (obviously I'm going under the assumption the kid will receive the coaching reasonably well). Whether he's an offensive contributor remains to be seen, but I'm never gonna tell Tubby to not recruit raw athletes who have shown some ability, especially if we're trying to implement a pressing type system that relies on guards who can defend full court and get up and down.

The 2010 recruiting season was extremely odd for Tubby and his crew. Attrition hit harder than any coach could possibly expect. Tubby's trying to make the most of it, but you can't expect him to just be able to jump up and grab a four star that late in the game like that. We'll see in 2011 where this thing goes, but I'm not going to overreact to an odd year like the last one and try to question Tubby about his skills and all that.

Monty, your post was a breath of fresh air! Someone being reasonable!

I think Tubby did a nice job of trying to find a "hidden gem" this late in the process. If Chip is as good of an athlete as it sounds like he is, I'm fine with this signing. LIke monty said, that's the kind of players we need for Tubby's pressing system. At the very least we get someone who can play some defense. There were also scouting reports saying that he can shoot, so I don't mind this signing at all.

After Hollins, I'm most interested in seeing Chip play. We probably won't see a ton of him though.

After Hollins, I'm most interested in seeing Chip play. We probably won't see a ton of him though.

I agree, can't wait to see Chip. I'm most interested in seeing Oto take the court, if he makes it here. I'm not going to worry to much about how many scholarships we have or if any of our recruits are busts.

And.. no one is signing guys to 4-yr contracts. These are one year scholarships.

I'm still expecting 3 scholarships for next year, if not more.

Officially we have three, but are recruiting for an expected fourth. Even if Trevor plays this year, I think most expect that he will play one year of college ball no matter where he goes and then give professional hoopps a shot. There still is Oto's status and you never know if Devoe or Ralph may make an NBA attemp early. Unlike what we did with Cory which resulted in maverick, we need to be better prepared for the spring.

[Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth

I honestly think that The Truth has other agendas. Otherwise why would he lie like this when he says that he has no hate for Tubby? Yes your wife is black but I have no reason to keep you out of that racist list of UK fans.

Please tell me at what year UK was not a title contender in SEC under Tubby? It was only two years that Florida had that unreal talent. Atlanta was changed to Catlanta because year after year Tubby delivered. Stop the BS. Please tell the truth, were you overlooked by Tubby during a recruiting event? Were you dreaming of playing at UK and Tubby crushed that dream? Please tell us the truth and stop this crap.

Tubby will deliver here too. It was such an unlucky year for the Gophers and Tubby last year. If you attended the tipoff last year, you would have seen what he had recruited. He really had a bunch of good players. Unfortunately, because of Royce and Trevor’s situation, things did not go to the direction that we liked. However, we still made the title game in INDY.

Just let it go. It is unhealthy.

Go Gophers

I'll the be the first to admit that Tubby makes mistakes. So did Pitino. Gillispie by the boatload.

But he (Truth) just perpetuates blatant falsehoods about Tubby. IF he is a lousy recruiter, then he is a remarkable coach because he ranks among the Top 10-15 active coaches in W-L and NCAA results.

But he's not lousy. He's a very good coach and recruiter. At Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky, and Minnesota.

I like Chip's signing more than either of the other late signees cause of one simple reason: Athleticism. The kid will at the very least become a good defensive player under Tubby just from being an athlete (obviously I'm going under the assumption the kid will receive the coaching reasonably well). Whether he's an offensive contributor remains to be seen, but I'm never gonna tell Tubby to not recruit raw athletes who have shown some ability, especially if we're trying to implement a pressing type system that relies on guards who can defend full court and get up and down.

The 2010 recruiting season was extremely odd for Tubby and his crew. Attrition hit harder than any coach could possibly expect. Tubby's trying to make the most of it, but you can't expect him to just be able to jump up and grab a four star that late in the game like that. We'll see in 2011 where this thing goes, but I'm not going to overreact to an odd year like the last one and try to question Tubby about his skills and all that.

Well stated.

FOT can probably provide stats on Tubby's success with unknown prospects hyped by fathers of ESPN on-air personalities, but Maverick is the biggest head scratcher to me

FOT can probably provide stats on Tubby's success with unknown prospects hyped by fathers of ESPN on-air personalities, but Maverick is the biggest head scratcher to me

Coach Gottlieb referred Tubby to Ramon Harris of Alaska in 2006. He played in the Branch West AAU program. Harris played a limited role for Tubby in 2007, then started 2 years for Gillispie in 2008 and 2009, but returned to a reserve role under Calipari in 2010. Very good player but unheard of by most.

Ahanmisi had 3 good HS years in So Calif then played 1 year for Calif Prep powerhouse Stoneridge. He may or may not pan out but he has some good basketball skills (based on what I've read about him).

Top Bottom