Donations year 2

golden

Reaction score
With the blowout loss to Nebraska, its official Norwood "Megatongue" Teague's 3 year donation plan will be a huge attendance killer in year 2.

Our fans mostly renewed from last year to this year because we went to a NYD bowl, the increases were small.

Next year, our home schedule sucks, the jump in donations is steep, and our 2015 season doesn't look like it will duplicate what we had last year.

Our huge crowds for the first 4 home games were attributed to the following reasons:
1- We went to a NYD bowl last year
2- TCU was #2 in the nation, our program had buzz
3- The 2 for 1's for Kent St & Ohio got bought up by Husker & Badger fans
4- Nebraska had 10k+ in our stadium Saturday
5-It took some cheap livingsocial deals to help the TCU & Kent St ticket sales

The rest of the year we'll see smaller crowds with the exception of the Badger game due to the drunken invasion.

I can't see how we'll have 40k at any game but Iowa next year unless we are in contention for the division.

Kahler/Geutz need to let season ticket holders know they are going to freeze the donation requirements. DAMN IT! I sure as hell wish this would have worked, as the U needs all the $ it can get. But 35k crowds is going to suck next year if they don't freeze the donations.

With the blowout loss to Nebraska, its official Norwood "Megatongue" Teague's 3 year donation plan will be a huge attendance killer in year 2.

Why is it official?

It's possible but still way to early to tell.

I agree, I don't think anything is "official" yet...however, if we do tank this season, they should put that on hold ASAP. I've always said, if there's demand, great, make $...but if there's no, you can't hose your ticket holders. However, we have TONS of season tickets available, let's sell all those 1st.

You are making a ton of assumptions. I thought attendance would be a bit lower this year compared to last and I am glad I am wrong.

I'm looking forward to a rocking crowd on Halloween night!

Keep the Jug.

Go Gophers!!

It will be interesting. Teague's departure makes it easy to hold off on the three year plan but crowds have been exceptional so far. For whatever reason, ticket demand is at an all-time high.

Next year, our home schedule sucks
I disagree. I would much rather watch the Gophers win than lose, who the the Gophers are playing against has never been the reason I went to a game.

It will be interesting. Teague's departure makes it easy to hold off on the three year plan but crowds have been exceptional so far. For whatever reason, ticket demand is at an all-time high.

I agree, against all odds it seems like the U plan hasn't hurt attendence this year. i thought for certain there would be a lull, even with the good schedule and hype, etc.
Next year I would also expect catastrophically low attendence, but perhaps again the numbers will surprise. Don't underestimate how many fans were priced out of the new Vikes stadium.
It's always possible they start the year with low attendance and build if the team starts winning alot. I'd be curious what Iowa's numbers been since they went on their lucky ride? I know it was really bad preseason saleswise.
I'd submit a win against wisky to finish this year would change alot perceptionwise. Even at 5-7 a win against the drunks would galvanize alot of fairweather/casual fans into ticket interest and that's half the battle.

I also can't explain why this year saw such solid attendance. Gotta be the new year's day bowl?

Whatever it is after this year ... they probably should hold off on the hike. Next year certainly provides fewer, way fewer, big name games.

If it does end up lowering attendence the good news is I'll be able to get much better seats for my season tickets.

I can't see how we'll have 40k at any game but Iowa next year unless we are in contention for the division.

How much of that stadium will be black and yellow for that Iowa game if they don't hold the prices? 40%? 45%? Hopefully not, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

While I get that many fans are angry about the increase in prices, I doubt more than a few thousand will jump ship because of the price increases. As I have noted before, fans who cannot afford the price increase should simply change seats.

Lower-Level Corners will have a donation amount of $150 next year, which seems very reasonable to me, and upper-level corners ROWS 1 - 5 will have a donation amount of $100 per seat, which also seems very reasonable.

And as others have mentioned interest in attending Gophers football games is at an all-time high. We've sold 52,000+ tickets for every game this year, including an 11 AM game vs Kent State.

Finally, I would like to point out that there has never been a crowd smaller than 40K in TCF Bank Stadium. And sure, attendance may drop a little next year, but it's not going to be a complete debacle/disaster like everyone on this board seems to believe.

Our fans mostly renewed from last year to this year because we went to a NYD bowl, the increases were small.

Next year, our home schedule sucks, the jump in donations is steep, and our 2015 season doesn't look like it will duplicate what we had last year.

Our huge crowds for the first 4 home games were attributed to the following reasons:

The rest of the year we'll see smaller crowds with the exception of the Badger game due to the drunken invasion.

Kahler/Geutz need to let season ticket holders know they are going to freeze the donation requirements. DAMN IT! I sure as hell wish this would have worked, as the U needs all the $ it can get. But 35k crowds is going to suck next year if they don't freeze the donations.

Couldn't agree more. Gave up two tickets this year and considering the other two next year. And I love my seats- lower level on the 50. What pisses me off the most are the amount of visiting fans sitting near us every game. So sickening being surrounded by NE, IA, WI fans in the best seats.

I guess NE, IA and WI have such dedicated fans that they will buy season tickets to games in their opponents' stadiums just to see their team. It must mean there aren't enough Gopher fans willing to pay (or, worse, willing to sell off their tickets for a profit to opponents' fans).

Why would they lower prices or freeze them when people think they have a shot to go to the B1G title game in 2016?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I get that many fans are angry about the increase in prices, I doubt more than a few thousand will jump ship because of the price increases. As I have noted before, fans who cannot afford the price increase should simply change seats.

Lower-Level Corners will have a donation amount of $150 next year, which seems very reasonable to me, and upper-level corners ROWS 1 - 5 will have a donation amount of $100 per seat, which also seems very reasonable.

And as others have mentioned interest in attending Gophers football games is at an all-time high. We've sold 52,000+ tickets for every game this year, including an 11 AM game vs Kent State.

Finally, I would like to point out that there has never been a crowd smaller than 40K in TCF Bank Stadium. And sure, attendance may drop a little next year, but it's not going to be a complete debacle/disaster like everyone on this board seems to believe.
Oh, there have been smaller crowds. OSU last year had ample seating for all. Lots of unused tickets that day.

Oh, there have been smaller crowds. OSU last year had ample seating for all. Lots of unused tickets that day.

Tickets sold =/= butts in seat. I'm sure many games actual attendance has been lower than 40K, but total tickets sold has never been below 40,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how many Gopher ticket sales going forward could be attributed to the Vikings playing at the bank. Possibly some fans experienced outdoor football again for the first time in a while and have started to attend Gopher games. I know indoor football doesn't cut it for me.

Tickets sold =/= butts in seat. I'm sure many games actual attendance has been lower than 40K, but total tickets sold has never been below 40,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hilarious. I love parody.

I disagree. I would much rather watch the Gophers win than lose, who the the Gophers are playing against has never been the reason I went to a game.

I was thinking the same thing myself. I'd rather witness a win over Purdue or Indiania at home, than losses to WI, NE, or MI at home.

I was thinking the same thing myself. I'd rather witness a win over Purdue or Indiania at home, than losses to WI, NE, or MI at home.

I completely disagree-- If I am paying 65-75 dollars a ticket I want to see them play the good teams or rivals. Much rather see us play OSU than Rutgers at home.

Why would they lower prices or freeze them when people think they have a shot to go to the B1G title game in 2016?

If they win a B1G title, it won't be at the bank. This isn't like pro sports where buying tickets gets you a shot at seeing your team at home in the playoffs.

Mostly it is because the games on the schedule aren't as compelling compared to this year, possibly after this year we'll see a dip in interest / sales.

If they win a B1G title, it won't be at the bank. This isn't like pro sports where buying tickets gets you a shot at seeing your team at home in the playoffs.

Mostly it is because the games on the schedule aren't as compelling compared to this year, possibly after this year we'll see a dip in interest / sales.

Um...you get first crack at tickets as a STH, and in our case, you are guaranteed.

I don't want to argue every point, but this one is low hanging fruit. If this statement was true why was the stadium packed for those games? I don't doubt several thousand fans bought and dumped tickets for these games but the actual attendance game day was very good for both these games, it wasn't 10,000 empty seats.

You are correct. They are not going to change the donation level at this point. I can see extending for a year but not going to go backwards. For the last two years and again this year, we have a shot at winning every home game. Does not mean we will but there are no more slam dunks at TCF for our opponents. People will not only renew after this year but they will sell more than this year.

I wonder how many Gopher ticket sales going forward could be attributed to the Vikings playing at the bank. Possibly some fans experienced outdoor football again for the first time in a while and have started to attend Gopher games. I know indoor football doesn't cut it for me.

Possible. But it's also possible that the lower capacity for Vikings game priced some folks out and they bought Gopher tickets instead. You can get the same seat for less than half what it takes for a Vikings game. For all the talk of 'pricing folks out' of the new stadium, with an extra 25K seats, I think it will actually cost less, certainly after the 1st year.

I agree, I don't think anything is "official" yet...however, if we do tank this season, they should put that on hold ASAP. I've always said, if there's demand, great, make $...but if there's no, you can't hose your ticket holders. However, we have TONS of season tickets available, let's sell all those 1st.
The huge increases should be frozen - we are losing longtime ticket-holders in our section this year. Some brutal losses ahead will sour the situation even further.

The huge increases should be frozen - we are losing longtime ticket-holders in our section this year. Some brutal losses ahead will sour the situation even further.

Absolutely, looking at big ST losses the next two years if the gouge is allowed to go thru. Sell it out, then consider raising ticket prices.

How much of that stadium will be black and yellow for that Iowa game if they don't hold the prices? 40%? 45%? Hopefully not, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Look at the bright side. Can't get worse than 55-0. Iowa scored twice while I was walking to my car and again while I was in church Sunday morning. Was nice to see the Gophers tear them up last year.

Top Bottom